Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

The Hummingbird Folding Bike is for sale and the price is...

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

The Hummingbird Folding Bike is for sale and the price is...

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-17, 11:11 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Meh. For $4500 I could buy myself a PakiT or Brompton and a Pocket Rocket and still take a vacation. Seems like the real justification is bragging rights for the rich.
Old 05-02-17, 02:09 PM
Bonzo Banana

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
For normal size road bikes there does seem to be people prepared to pay thousands for carbon over aluminium to get a fractionally lighter bike with better ride quality but they are motivated by riding faster for racing, but whether such people exist now or can be persuaded to exist in the folding bike market sector is debatable.

If the bike can shave off 15 mins of riding time per week based on not having to haul 4kg of weight everywhere you go so effectively you get back an hour of your life per month for the next 5 years lets say, 60hrs shared by £3500 is about £60 per hour. If your working hours are 40 but your commute adds 10hrs per week and you share you weekly wage by that 50hrs and each hour is more than £60 and it does actually save you at least 15 minutes per week then I guess it will pay for itself. Also for older cyclists who maybe struggling a bit with cycling both with ride quality and the weight of the bike I guess it would benefit those too.

It does seem like the sweet spot in pricing must be less than this. I wonder what you have to pay for a sub 10kg, 9kg, 8kg and 7kg folding bike elsewhere. I suspect each kg lost probably represents about £500 extra in pricing.
Old 05-02-17, 03:54 PM
Diode100

Bikes: 2011 Jetstream P11 Alfine; 3sp Presto-Lite; Occasional Access to 6sp Brompton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just don't see that within reasonable limits the weight of a bike is a factor in the time taken for a city commute journey, road & traffic conditions, personal fitness, and survival instinct have a much bigger influence.
Old 05-02-17, 04:10 PM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts
Did you pluck that brain teaser from your classroom?

Originally Posted by downtube
2x2=4???

Thanks,
Yan
Old 05-02-17, 04:31 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by Diode100
I just don't see that within reasonable limits the weight of a bike is a factor in the time taken for a city commute journey, road & traffic conditions, personal fitness, and survival instinct have a much bigger influence.
It would be a helluva lot cheaper (and more beneficial) to just lose a few pounds, lol.
Old 05-02-17, 04:46 PM
Flimbs

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
It would be a helluva lot cheaper (and more beneficial) to just lose a few pounds, lol.
The very motto I live by. A lightweight package it is!
Old 05-02-17, 05:17 PM
Diode100

Bikes: 2011 Jetstream P11 Alfine; 3sp Presto-Lite; Occasional Access to 6sp Brompton

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
You get what you pay for.
That's an axiom that is generally applied to the bottom end of the market where it usually holds true, not sure you can safely apply it to the top end though.
Old 05-03-17, 05:09 AM
BassNotBass
master of bottom licks

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
... If the bike can shave off 15 mins of riding time per week based on not having to haul 4kg of weight everywhere you go so effectively you get back an hour of your life per month for the next 5 years...
And then there are those people who ride because they enjoy it and the experience enriches their lives. Riding isn't viewed as an ordeal to be endured for as short a time as possible.
Old 05-03-17, 05:16 AM
BassNotBass
master of bottom licks

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Diode100
That's an axiom that is generally applied to the bottom end of the market where it usually holds true, not sure you can safely apply it to the top end though.
I find that it rarely holds true at any price point. I've had a blast touring on $50 bikes and I know that the Hummingbird wouldn't even have lasted on these rides much less provided me with 90X the enjoyment.
Old 05-03-17, 05:26 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1670 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,062 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
You get what you pay for.
I've read the American consumer product testing magazine, Consumer Reports, for the last 50 years. I've learned that while there's a mild correlation with a unit's price and its function and build quality, there are products that perform far above their price level...and products that are expensive for no discernible reason.
Old 05-03-17, 11:58 AM
downtube

Bikes: Many Downtube Folders :)

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Abu Mahendra
Did you pluck that brain teaser from your classroom?
Yes I teach some really hard stuff

By the way I changed my position on Kauai, let me know if you still have questions.

Thanks,
Yan
Semi-active chess player ( two time Bahamas National Champion )
Sivananda ( Bahamas ) Trained Yoga instructor ( 2013 ) and ThetaHealer since 2013
Bicycle delivery worker for Jimmy John's. Delivering is the best workout I have ever had.
Old 05-03-17, 03:08 PM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts
Questions as such, no. I think I've solved the 2+2=4 conundrum. I may be in the running for the Field's Medal. But I am intrigued by Ramanujan's recursive fractions business...

Originally Posted by downtube
Yes I teach some really hard stuff

By the way I changed my position on Kauai, let me know if you still have questions.

Thanks,
Yan
Old 05-03-17, 04:19 PM
downtube

Bikes: Many Downtube Folders :)

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Abu Mahendra
Questions as such, no. I think I've solved the 2+2=4 conundrum. I may be in the running for the Field's Medal. But I am intrigued by Ramanujan's recursive fractions business...
At the end of my time as an undergraduate I went to a talk by George Andrews about Ramanujan. He spent an hour talking about how to prove one line in a notebook of results. I was blown away.

Later as a graduate student I took a class on Modular Forms, which was not easy. This guy created Mock Modular Forms and had notebooks of results... amazing.

Thanks
Yan
Old 05-04-17, 02:24 AM
badmother

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Last edited by badmother; 05-04-17 at 02:49 AM.
Old 05-04-17, 10:25 AM
Bonzo Banana

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
I've read the American consumer product testing magazine, Consumer Reports, for the last 50 years. I've learned that while there's a mild correlation with a unit's price and its function and build quality, there are products that perform far above their price level...and products that are expensive for no discernible reason.
That's exactly my experience. Price is only an indicator to possible quality but can often be wrong. High volume bicycle manufacturing plants like Giant in Taiwan use super accurate robot welding to produce very high quality frames often much stronger and neater than low volume hand welded frames. So much reselling goes on nowadays with many brands not actually making anything themselves simply getting another supplier to make it for them and put their own profit margin on. Why not buy from the actual manufacturer directly. Is last years model at 50% reduction really much different to this years model. Also over here in the UK with sterling dropping in value often this year's model is actually inferior than last years to meet the same price point so the older model is actually superior for much less. Getting great value and saving yourself a lot of money just takes a little bit more time.
Old 05-05-17, 10:18 AM
kidshibuya

Bikes: Tyrell CSI, Dahon Mu LT11, Doppelganger Aurora 219

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The Hummingbird really disappointed. First they delay and delay, then they axe the 20inch and now come up with an unreasonable price. And for a carbon 16inch it's not even that light, my 20inch doesn't weight much more.

Wake me when they are at 3K with a 20inch.
Old 05-05-17, 05:09 PM
cplager
The Recumbent Quant

Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis, 2016 Folding CruziTandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
This is true for bikes in general. The one place this isn't true is for when you have to carry them. For some people, a very light bike can make a big difference (e.g., carrying it upstairs, etc).

That being said, I won't be buying one at anywhere near that price.