Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Old Vs New- Or other suggestions

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-23, 03:16 PM
TenMan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Hi everyone,

I just have some questions or am open to suggestions. I currently have a cheap 10 year old Walmart road bike Denali 700c, that I hate. I've always had cheap Walmart bikes. My thoughts are that maybe something a bit more suited to me/ higher quality, will get me back into riding.

I used to put 40-70 miles on the Denali with some MTB clipless pedals about once a month with some 10 mile trips about once a week. The frame is much too large for me, and its a road bike using twist shifters, the derailleurs seem impossible to stay in adjustment. etc. I just never had much fun with this bike. I spent more time being aggravated by the shifters and my positioning than having fun on the rides.

My current needs/ wants:
1. I want something sort of quick, but not full on drop bars. I'll be doing a ton of starting and stopping with my kid in a neighborhood, so I'm leaning toward a hybrid / flat bar road bike. I don't plan to race, join any groups, or ride with anyone for that matter.
2. The bike will be used to ride around the neighborhood with my 7 yo daughter, and occasionally (once every week or two) I like to run to town or down some hills and back (26-30 miles)
3. I might occasionally hit a gravel bike path for a couple miles. Nothing single track oriented.

My current budget:
1. About $200 is what I'm willing to spend for my limited use at this time.
2. I don't mind repairing a bike, replacing components, truing wheels etc. My hobby is my garage. I'll find something to modify or change even if it isn't needed.

The bikes being considered/ negotiated on the local marketplace:
1. 2008 Trek FX 7.6 - $200 (Al Frame, Carbon Forks)
2. 2014 Trex FX 7.2 - $200 (Al Frame and Fork)
3. Cannondale Quick 4- $190 "Year unknown"
4. Something newer, but lower end (thinking base FX)
5. Old Trek Navigator 200 in good shape with bike stands, tools, hitchhauler, etc.- $115 (I'm afraid this one will be too slow to entertain me)

As long as everything appears decent enough shape frame wise (No cracks, dents, etc.), which would be the better option?

The older the bike, the more premium I can afford. I'm not picky about gear spacing, don't care if it's disc brake, etc) I just want something that shifts very well (most important), is comfortable with frequent stopping or for 30 miles, and is quick enough / stable enough for a smile down the steep long hills by the river.

1. Has bike tech (frames, shifters, spacing) improved that much from 2008 - 2014 or even 2020?

2. Would a newer base FX be a better choice than the higher end 2008 FX 7.6?

3. Or in your opinion, would I probably just be happy with something really old?

4. Open to suggestions as I'm not up to date in the biking/ cycling world in the slightest/ and don't really intend to be at this point. Lol

Sorry for the wall of text, trying to provide all the details.

Thanks in Advance!
Old 05-10-23, 03:21 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,841 Times in 833 Posts
For used bikes, it's a buyer's market. Looking at the bicycles popping up in the https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ispreloading=1 thread, you might be able to find an older bike at a very good price that is better than your current Denali. However, some of those bargains might entail some fix-up and repair work on your part.
Old 05-16-23, 04:25 AM
Cornchips

Bikes: Giant Escape 3 (2018), Giant Roam 3 (2021), Specialized Sirrus X 3.0 (2022)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 66 Posts
I think the Trek FX series you are looking at will suit your needs quite well and be a considerable step up from your current Walmart ride...
Old 05-16-23, 07:10 AM
TenMan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cornchips
I think the Trek FX series you are looking at will suit your needs quite well and be a considerable step up from your current Walmart ride...
Sold the Walmart bike for 75 and bought the Trek FX 7.6 for 200. I would post a picture, but apparently I don't have 10 posts.

It's soo much better. I can't wait to get it out this weekend.
Likes For TenMan:
Old 05-16-23, 10:13 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,085 Posts
mrs t2p has a 7.5 FX - great bike

( I believe it’s a 2007 )