Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

The Hummingbird Folding Bike is for sale and the price is...

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-17, 07:55 PM
edelay

Bikes: Dahon Curve D8 (Sturmey Archer X-RF8), Crius Smart 3.0 5 speed

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

£3,495, 4,508USD, 6,159CAD, 4,132EUR.
https://hummingbirdbike.com/shop-now/

I have to say that I didn't expect it would be that much.
Old 05-01-17, 08:11 PM
maxxevv

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
They seriously shouldn't be expecting much volume at that kind of price point though.
Old 05-01-17, 08:12 PM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by edelay
£3,495, 4,508USD, 6,159CAD, 4,132EUR.
https://hummingbirdbike.com/shop-now/

I have to say that I didn't expect it would be that much.
Holy crap!
Old 05-01-17, 09:17 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
They say it is the lightest folder in the world and they could probably add the most expensive. I hope it works out for them.
Old 05-01-17, 09:55 PM
maxxevv

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There are certain Alex Moulton models that cost more.
Old 05-01-17, 10:47 PM
Diode100

Bikes: 2011 Jetstream P11 Alfine; 3sp Presto-Lite; Occasional Access to 6sp Brompton

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Neat little video hidden in the Hummingbird site :-

Old 05-01-17, 10:55 PM
Bonzo Banana

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Price doesn't seem unfair based on the technology I guess but I suspect manufacturing in the UK has added a fair chunk to the price. Much of the so called european brands like Canyon actually have their frames made in the far east. I think Canyon frames are made by Giant of Taiwan but the frames are made in their mainland China facilities. Yet those carbon bikes still hit retail for many thousands of pounds which are pretty much all chinese with minor assembly in Europe.

I also think if you calculate that a very light bike like this might save you a few minutes on every commute you do this is effectively money it is paying you giving you bonus leisure time or sleeping time etc. I.e. if it saves you 1/2hr a week in commuting time that over a year or maybe the 3-5 years lifetime of the bike is a fair chunk of money over a conventional heavier bike. The 100kg limit is quite good too, more than some aluminium folders. The numbers add up better if you are a well paid individual which I guess looking at this price is exactly who this bike will be aimed at.

Which are the competing bikes at this weight level and how much cheaper. I'm more a dirt cheap entry level bike buyer myself. I just bought a Raleigh Twenty (non folder) for £7.50 that needs a bit of work so I'm at the extreme other end.
Old 05-01-17, 11:20 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by Bonzo Banana
I also think if you calculate that a very light bike like this might save you a few minutes on every commute you do this is effectively money it is paying you giving you bonus leisure time or sleeping time etc. I.e. if it saves you 1/2hr a week in commuting time that over a year or maybe the 3-5 years lifetime of the bike is a fair chunk of money over a conventional heavier bike. The 100kg limit is quite good too, more than some aluminium folders. The numbers add up better if you are a well paid individual which I guess looking at this price is exactly who this bike will be aimed at.
What do I do, regarding my commuting, with a bike that does not allow for fenders and has no luggage or light provisions?! Skip work when it is raining and sit admiring the bike? I have nicer art pieces to look at For all the money it is a pretty pointless bike.
Old 05-01-17, 11:32 PM
Bonzo Banana

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Originally Posted by 2_i
What do I do, regarding my commuting, with a bike that does not allow for fenders and has no luggage or light provisions?! Skip work when it is raining and sit admiring the bike? I have nicer art pieces to look at For all the money it is a pretty pointless bike.
In their faq section it states it takes mudguards, baskets and racks and lights pretty much clip/strap on nowadays so can't see that being a problem. I don't see a problem in using it for the daily commute, paying for it is the problem
Old 05-02-17, 12:01 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by Bonzo Banana
In their faq section it states it takes mudguards, baskets and racks and lights pretty much clip/strap on nowadays so can't see that being a problem.
Thanks for pointing out FAQ, but all that I can see there is that I can do something on my own. I do not see how I can put on mudguards without nullifying the fold or having to take off the mudguards with each fold. If I am to design something original on my own I would rather start from scratch. Else I would take a ready design that works reasonably well and not something midway there. The designers who think that practicalities is something you consider only after finishing the product seem to be in abundance.
Old 05-02-17, 12:16 AM
Diode100

Bikes: 2011 Jetstream P11 Alfine; 3sp Presto-Lite; Occasional Access to 6sp Brompton

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Maybe just fly out to Oregon, pick up a nice new PakiT, have a nice holiday, and then fly home with the bike, more than likely save all round.
Old 05-02-17, 01:26 AM
Bonzo Banana

Does look good, pricing is too exclusive though.

If they really wanted to appeal to a wide number of people as per the video above they sadly probably need to make the bike outside the UK. I''m sure there are chinese companies that could supply the carbon frame at a reasonable price. I don't think the bike would ever be cheap but perhaps half this price if manufactured outside the UK.
Old 05-02-17, 05:56 AM
BassNotBass
master of bottom licks

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by maxxevv
And for good reason not to mention that I actually have a use for those expensive Moultons.

Congrats to the Hummingbird crew for finally getting the bike in production and revising the horrible rake and trail of the original bike. However they seriously need to get a handle on reality and what their target market is. I see it being a popular choice as pit bike on the formula racing scene.

Last edited by BassNotBass; 05-02-17 at 06:13 AM.
Old 05-02-17, 06:08 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by blakcloud
They say it is the lightest folder in the world and they could probably add the most expensive. I hope it works out for them.
Originally Posted by maxxevv
Yes, but Alex Moulton's don't fold.
Old 05-02-17, 07:02 AM
Diode100

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In the Humingbird photo gallery it isn't immediately obvious in the 2nd & 3rd folded photos that they have removed the front wheel, so in the normal folded state the two wheels overlap somewhat to give a larger folded size,as in the 1st photo.
Old 05-02-17, 07:03 AM
downtube

Bikes: Many Downtube Folders :)

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
$4,508...wow. I didn't like to begin with ( I prefer comfort over lightweight). I know someone designing a sub 7kg bike that will sell for under $1k ( it's not us ).

I can't imagine Hummingbird will be in the market too long.

Thanks,
Yan
Semi-active chess player ( two time Bahamas National Champion )
Sivananda ( Bahamas ) Trained Yoga instructor ( 2013 ) and ThetaHealer since 2013
Bicycle delivery worker for Jimmy John's. Delivering is the best workout I have ever had.
Old 05-02-17, 07:13 AM
BassNotBass
master of bottom licks

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube
... I can't imagine Hummingbird will be in the market too long...
If they play their cards right and market to the fashion industry as a prop for active-lifestyle or vacationing photo shoots and shows, market it as a bike to ride on your yacht or for celebs to pedal through Monaco or between filming sights then sure they may be able to stay afloat. But to think it's a viable alternative for even the upper middle-class commuters is just plain goofy.
Old 05-02-17, 07:29 AM
downtube

Originally Posted by BassNotBass
If they play their cards right and market to the fashion industry as a prop for active-lifestyle or vacationing photo shoots and shows, market it as a bike to ride on your yacht or for celebs to pedal through Monaco or between filming sights then sure they may be able to stay afloat. But to think it's a viable alternative for even the upper middle-class commuters is just plain goofy.
Thus far they did one crowd funding campaign. I don't see marketing as their strong suit.

Thanks,
Yan
Sivananda ( Bahamas ) Trained Yoga instructor ( 2013 ) and ThetaHealer since 2013
Bicycle delivery worker for Jimmy John's. Delivering is the best workout I have ever had.
Old 05-02-17, 08:02 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
Liked 1,826 Times in 1,062 Posts
'4-speed' - am I missing the component/description of this option?
Old 05-02-17, 08:07 AM
downtube

Originally Posted by tcs
'4-speed' - am I missing the component/description of this option?
2x2=4???

Thanks,
Yan
Old 05-02-17, 08:27 AM
Diode100

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BassNotBass
If they play their cards right and market to the fashion industry as a prop for active-lifestyle or vacationing photo shoots and shows, market it as a bike to ride on your yacht or for celebs to pedal through Monaco or between filming sights then sure they may be able to stay afloat.

Are you joking ?
Old 05-02-17, 09:43 AM
BassNotBass
master of bottom licks

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Diode100
Are you joking ?
A little, but the bike certainly is not going to sell well in the common market as a commuter so it needs to be marketed as a high dollar exclusive objet d'art because it does have two things going for it, good looks (thankfully they fixed the steering angle) and nice technical features. The fact that they're name-dropping ProDrive makes me think they just may go that route despite what their commuter-centric commercial conveys.

Last edited by BassNotBass; 05-02-17 at 09:46 AM.
Old 05-02-17, 09:49 AM
Flimbs

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They're a touch off from their kickstarter campaign proposed estimated retail price of 1550 euro. Oh well! 6.9 kgs is quite a feat though.
Old 05-02-17, 10:14 AM
maxxevv

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If the frame were to be build of hydroformed aluminium and welded together like the Birdy, 6.9kg for a single speed probably isn't that hard.
Old 05-02-17, 10:35 AM
BassNotBass
master of bottom licks

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Flimbs
They're a touch off from their kickstarter campaign proposed estimated retail price of 1550 euro. Oh well! 6.9 kgs is quite a feat though.
I wonder what kind of agreement they came to with the people who bought in. IIRC there was an exclusive notice sent out to them and I'm sure the first production models were going to be made at a loss.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.