Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Thorn Nomad / Sherpa users

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-23, 06:02 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 212 Posts

Input welcomed on either of these two bikes from those who own or have used them. I think I'd entertain owning one of the newer ones (<10 years old). They look nice and stable, sturdy and strong. Should be able to just barely handle Winnipeg roads. Not much presence of the brand in Canada and even less on the used market here.
Old 12-29-23, 11:55 PM
Small cog

Bikes: Vintage Raleigh and more modern Roberts

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 57 Posts
I do not have either of the models you list I have a Sterling but have watched plenty of videos and read many blogs from people who own them and have gone to the far ends of the earth on them and get the impression they are about the toughest expedition bikes out there, there is a forum if you are not already aware.

https://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php
Old 12-30-23, 12:18 PM
ExPatTyke

Bikes: Gitane Course, Paris Sport, Peugeot AO8, Peugeot Bretagne, Peugeot Premiere 85, Peugeot Premiere 86, Peugeot ANC Halfords Team Replica, Peugeot Festina Team Replica, Motobecane Grand Sport, Motobecane Super 15, Raleigh Pro Race, Raleigh Stratos, BSA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 427 Times in 90 Posts
I don't know about the Sherpa or Nomad, but I've seen plenty of Thorn Audaxes and a few Club Tourers on Audax rides here in the UK. They look nice with a good finish and owners I've spoken to have always been very happy with them.
Old 12-30-23, 03:28 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,229 Posts
If Thorn is hard to find and you might consider new try Co-Motion.

Here is their 'toughest' single bike.
Pangea - Co-Motion Cycles

Used rigid mountain bikes are considered tough and also inexpensive. You must have seen the mtb conversion thread in C&V.
Old 12-30-23, 04:15 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2671 Post(s)
Liked 1,151 Times in 872 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
If Thorn is hard to find and you might consider new try Co-Motion.

Here is their 'toughest' single bike.
Pangea - Co-Motion Cycles

Used rigid mountain bikes are considered tough and also inexpensive. You must have seen the mtb conversion thread in C&V.
SS MTB are great for the casual dirt grinders
Old 01-02-24, 08:13 AM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Hello - thanks for the input and suggestions in this thread. I usually (and currently) ride non-suspension steel framed mountain bikes due to their availability and price. I've also snapped three of those type of frames in the last 10 years, unfortunately. Never seen a Co-Motion in these parts before. Too bad they use disc brakes.

I had thought of joining the Thorn thread but I just assumed they're all biased about their bikes which they spent considerable $$$ on. I'd be using a Thorn around town to haul (I don't have a car anymore) and maybe travel in the future. I also have a Diamondback Ascent that is awaiting paint. It has some nice stiff relatively short chain/seatstays which would be ideal for attaching a trailer to. I almost always ride with an oversized milkcrate on my bikes (including the current ride). They're just so handy and tough! The Diamondbacks' short rear section wouldn't be suitable for the large milkcrate however.

It is tedious "making do" all the time though and I figured why not buy a really long term bike which fits and has known durability, thus the interest in a Thorn. I'm keeping an eye out on the used market.
Old 01-02-24, 01:50 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 399 Times in 276 Posts
Co-Motion bikes are made to order. You can order whatever model with the type of brake mounts you desire. The Thorn Nomad and Sherpa are strong frames. I have a Co-Motion Pangea Rohloff. I purchased it near 10 years ago and have had no trouble with the Rohloff. If you order a Co-Motion make sure the shop you go through has an experienced fitter and they will have it built like you want.
Old 01-02-24, 10:07 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,492 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by prairiepedaler
Input welcomed on either of these two bikes from those who own or have used them. I think I'd entertain owning one of the newer ones (<10 years old). They look nice and stable, sturdy and strong. Should be able to just barely handle Winnipeg roads. Not much presence of the brand in Canada and even less on the used market here.
here is my input- I don't think you will buy either of these bikes and don't think you are actually considering them.
You have done this for years in related but slightly different ways and this thread is no different.
Old 01-03-24, 05:22 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Originally Posted by Rick
Co-Motion bikes are made to order. You can order whatever model with the type of brake mounts you desire. The Thorn Nomad and Sherpa are strong frames. I have a Co-Motion Pangea Rohloff. I purchased it near 10 years ago and have had no trouble with the Rohloff. If you order a Co-Motion make sure the shop you go through has an experienced fitter and they will have it built like you want.
Co-Motion does look like a choice in the mix. Any bike which gets purchased has to come in at a pricepoint. I always search used options first for value. The USA has much more choice and greater probablity of success than here. A Thorn would be great undoubtedly, as by the looks of a Co-Motion. The Toute-Terrain is certainly the upper echelon of similar world touring bikes. Finding something like that on the used market is a tall order so not much point looking.
Old 01-03-24, 05:23 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Originally Posted by gregbowers
Looking for feedback on Thorn Nomad/Sherpa bikes (<10 years old). Any owners out there? I'm intrigued by their stability and strength. Also, any luck finding them in Canada?
Bots ride bikes?
Old 01-05-24, 11:16 AM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 249 Posts
In flatlandia there, you could get a Brooklyn Driggs 3 speed which has a double top tube. Let's see you try break that. Their large size will fit up to 6'2" easily.
Unbreakable = do NOT use deFAILeurs. With Pinion, you could use all 2.3/ 2.0 spokes. My first SA XL-FDD has 32,000 miles with ZERO worries, has 2.3 mm spokes.
For unbreakable frame you can wrap it with 2 or 3 layers of CF. No need to strip the paint.
My first try with CF I wrapped a broke fork and let it set for 2 days. Put it on a cement floor and WHACKED it with a hammer. The floor shook and nothing deformed on the fork. LOL.
My seat tube and BB area were done on my Rohloff14 tour bike. The bike is 120 lbs loaded. I'll go 43 mph with NO fear. Bonus is 0% of your crank power is wasted on a noodle frame.
I ride it at 73 lbs on 90 to 130 mile rides on freeways. Goes as fast as the wind lets me. The 2nd last day of my tour that was 27 to 33 mph on the way to Red Deer.

Old 01-05-24, 01:00 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,492 Times in 4,189 Posts
Yes! Yes! Love it every time it is posted. More! More! Encore!