Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Question on Derailers

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Question on Derailers

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-09, 05:52 AM
rjw_III

Bikes: Schwinn Fastback Elite Endurance Road Bike and custom made BMX - Volume Destroyer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question on Derailers

So I am planning on getting a new bike (hopefully today) and I went to Performance to scope out some prices and what not. There were two bikes I liked, the Scattante 330 and the Schwinn Le Tour (I think it was a GS but I'm not positive). The sales guy there told me that I should go with the Schwinn because it has a better derailer...sounds fine to me except the Schwinn is about 100 dollars more expensive.

I did some research and found that the Scattante has a Shimano Sora and the Schwinn has a Shimano Tiagra. Is there really that big of a difference in performance for me to spend the extra cash? When looking at the specs on the shimano website they seem to be almost exactly the same so I'm looking for some input!

Thanks!!
Old 08-06-09, 06:14 AM
dwr1961

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If we're just talking derailleurs as the only appreciable difference, then, no...

Price is an important factor here, but I would always make the way the bike fits you and handles for you the number one determinant of choice. Insist on test riding both - and not just around the parking lot... Have the shop swap out stems, saddles, pedals, etc. until you get the right comfort and position on the bike. Many shops won't do this, hopefully your Performance dealer will.

I didn't check specs on your two candidates, so there may be other reasons for the difference in price. Scattante is a house brand for Performance, so unless the Schwinn's on sale, it may be the "value" bike in your comparison.

Just remember - parts like derailleurs can be easily changed. A bike's basic fit and handling is pretty much a forever deal. Get that aspect right above all else.

Good luck.
Old 08-06-09, 06:42 AM
rjw_III

Bikes: Schwinn Fastback Elite Endurance Road Bike and custom made BMX - Volume Destroyer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the advice! The Schwinn is on sale and I'm sure it's not only the derailers that cause the price difference, but I will take your advice and give both a test ride and hopefully I can find a good fit.

Last edited by rjw_III; 08-06-09 at 06:46 AM.