Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Colorado SUV Driver Harassing Some Cylcists

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-12, 07:58 PM
mtblurkr
Membie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

SUV driver won't pass.......

Old 09-17-12, 08:02 PM
nevermore1701

Bikes: giant

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
that is nuts
Old 09-17-12, 08:06 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3376 Post(s)
Liked 5,523 Times in 2,863 Posts
CO has a law against harassing cyclists.
Looks like an open and shut case against the imbecile.
Best thing to do would have been to stop, and call CO State Police Road Rage hotline: *CSP

Last edited by Shimagnolo; 09-17-12 at 08:10 PM.
Old 09-17-12, 08:24 PM
OldManRiley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a convoy of pickup trucks with dirtbikes in the back come past me and intentionally downshift to each blow diesel smoke into my face a few days ago (while I was riding right of the right line, with no oncoming). I would have preferred this guy (or gal). Super rude, but in a pretty safe way. Can't see the logic in not just passing cyclists with open road for miles in both directions. Some people . . .
Old 09-17-12, 09:32 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
It's ironic that in a state loaded with cyclists and places to cycle that I've met some of the most misogynistic anti-cyclists in the whole country. Go figure.

So call the cops, provide them with the license & video and see what happens.
Old 09-17-12, 09:57 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
What a DOPE!
Old 09-18-12, 09:22 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,990 Times in 569 Posts
"Never ascribe to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence." - Napoleon Bonaparte

I live by that. And my guess (perhaps in my childish Disneyland world) is that that motorist thought that they couldn't pass you because of the double yellow line. BS, of course. But it would explain what's otherwise unexplainable. I mean ... even if they hated cyclists, it's hard to imagine them following you for that long just to blow their horn at you. <shrug>

Old 09-18-12, 09:32 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
Certainly possible there's no malice. Two minutes seems interminable on the vid, but it's only half a mile or so. I've had cars refuse to pass me for that length of time on a number of occasions. In every case in my experience, the driver was female and either very old or very young. Just learning to drive or so old that their eyesight and reflexes aren't really up to the task anymore. Although it does annoy the heck out of me, it was apparent when they finally went by that they weren't trying to annoy me, they were just scared and less than fully competent.
Old 09-18-12, 11:04 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

That may have been true in your case, but in THIS case, the driver was leaning on his horn the whole way. That's certainly aggressive & intimidating when it's a 6,000 pound vehicle trying to frighten cyclists on 20 pound bikes.

I had a small pickup follow me yesterday for about a mile - it was a small windy road with little traffic. I kept riding all the way to the right (It was mostly downhill and I was going about 25-30 the whole way... speed limit was 30) and he wouldn't pass. Finally I slowed and pulled over at a turnout and he honked at me and said something. I turned and said "what?" and he waved and said keep going as he turned off the road. He was just being friendly. Honestly, it was probably in my best interest to have somebody behind me at that time of day - I was riding west into the sun and visibility was pretty iffy, so having a car there who recognized that I was in front of him was a boon. So it's not always bad but you just never know.
Old 09-18-12, 11:07 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
I didn't watch the vid with sound :-)

Yeah, if the horn's blaring there's little doubt as to the intent.
Old 09-18-12, 12:21 PM
Genaro

Bikes: Motobecane Immortal Force

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
That was me in the SUV - I was trying to get the guys attention after he dropped his water bottle
Old 09-18-12, 12:24 PM
Genaro

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
That may have been true in your case, but in THIS case, the driver was leaning on his horn the whole way. That's certainly aggressive & intimidating when it's a 6,000 pound vehicle trying to frighten cyclists on 20 pound bikes.

I had a small pickup follow me yesterday for about a mile - it was a small windy road with little traffic. I kept riding all the way to the right (It was mostly downhill and I was going about 25-30 the whole way... speed limit was 30) and he wouldn't pass. Finally I slowed and pulled over at a turnout and he honked at me and said something. I turned and said "what?" and he waved and said keep going as he turned off the road. He was just being friendly. Honestly, it was probably in my best interest to have somebody behind me at that time of day - I was riding west into the sun and visibility was pretty iffy, so having a car there who recognized that I was in front of him was a boon. So it's not always bad but you just never know.
I've had this happen sometimes where it seems as though drivers are too cautions and worried that they won't pass until they get to a point where its safe to do so. I sometimes signal to such drivers to pass, that way they know they have my attention and I have theirs - I appreciate that
Old 09-18-12, 12:28 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
Problem solved:
Old 09-18-12, 12:33 PM
Genaro

Chris, I highly respect your intelligence and intellect, and all the good you bring to this forum, but do you honestly think throwing a set of earbuds at the SUV is going to stop them from honking ?
Old 09-18-12, 12:35 PM
Ns1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Genaro
Chris, I highly respect your intelligence and intellect, and all the good you bring to this forum, but do you honestly think throwing a set of earbuds at the SUV is going to stop them from honking ?
That's not the point of the earbuds...unless you're being facetious...
Old 09-18-12, 01:00 PM
mtrider05
Slow

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The rider is Dirk Friel and he said he didn't call the cops.
Old 09-18-12, 01:29 PM
cdp8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mtrider05
The rider is Dirk Friel and he said he didn't call the cops.
That is NOT correct. Dirk has been in contact with Colorado State Patrol. If you go to the original youtube page to watch the vid, you will find this comment from Dirk:

(Update as of Monday Sept 17th: The Colorado State Patrol is involved and we've found others who have had similar run-ins with this driver. If anyone else has information about this driver call Trooper Donahue 303-239-4501. Need to centralize information. Thanks) Here is what was supposed to be my relaxing Sunday morning ride with my teammate until things became a bit unsettling when an older male driver came up behind us in his Ford Explorer (license plate Colorado 893 EKG). This guy obviously doesn't like seeing bikes for some reason since he sat behind us for more than five minutes blaring his horn. What's even worse is we saw him approaching from behind and to be polite we ride single file to give him as much road as possible, as we did with every other car we encountered on this road east of Longmont, CO. This guy was so intent of bugging us that he backed up traffic behind him and cars had to pass him on a double yellow line. It seems he was the one obstructing traffic, not us. We ended up slowing up in order to force him to pass us and go on with his day. Insane. Hopefully this is the worste thing this guy does to cyclists.

Old 09-18-12, 01:38 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

do you honestly think throwing a set of earbuds at the SUV is going to stop them from honking ?
Just spat water on my monitor. Thanks.

Old 09-18-12, 02:28 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3376 Post(s)
Liked 5,523 Times in 2,863 Posts
Agreed.
Heave one of these at him, and you'll get more respect.
https://www.moonaudio.com/titan_spkr.htm
Old 09-18-12, 02:30 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
Your respect is miswarranted and entirely maljustified. I hadn't thought of that--alas, they probably will not.
The elderly minivan driver probably had a few run-ins with some of the combative, hostile lane-takers in our midst and now have it in for all cyclists. Either that or all drivers have an innate, irrational hatred and desire to kill all cyclists.

Last edited by calamarichris; 09-19-12 at 10:50 AM.
Old 09-18-12, 07:07 PM
rubic
Slogging along

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse '06, Mongoose titanium road bike '00--my commuter. Yes, Mongoose once made a decent ti road bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tell me that this vid was not staged. It wasn't? Well, son of a gun, the OP is one kind of tolerant person.
Old 09-18-12, 09:57 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Funny stuff...funny stuff!
Old 09-18-12, 11:16 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
I admire the restraint of the cyclists. I could only hope that I'd be so calm under those same circumstances.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 09-19-12, 12:03 AM
Clarabelle

Bikes: Co-Motion Mocha, Fuji touring, Trex hybrid, Bike Friday Tandem Traveler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
I admire the restraint of the cyclists. I could only hope that I'd be so calm under those same circumstances.
Yeah, I don't know what I would have done under those circumstances. Normally I don't ride with earbuds.
Old 09-19-12, 12:12 AM
mtrider05
Slow

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cdp8
That is NOT correct. Dirk has been in contact with Colorado State Patrol. If you go to the original youtube page to watch the vid, you will find this comment from Dirk:

(Update as of Monday Sept 17th: The Colorado State Patrol is involved and we've found others who have had similar run-ins with this driver. If anyone else has information about this driver call Trooper Donahue 303-239-4501. Need to centralize information. Thanks) Here is what was supposed to be my relaxing Sunday morning ride with my teammate until things became a bit unsettling when an older male driver came up behind us in his Ford Explorer (license plate Colorado 893 EKG). This guy obviously doesn't like seeing bikes for some reason since he sat behind us for more than five minutes blaring his horn. What's even worse is we saw him approaching from behind and to be polite we ride single file to give him as much road as possible, as we did with every other car we encountered on this road east of Longmont, CO. This guy was so intent of bugging us that he backed up traffic behind him and cars had to pass him on a double yellow line. It seems he was the one obstructing traffic, not us. We ended up slowing up in order to force him to pass us and go on with his day. Insane. Hopefully this is the worste thing this guy does to cyclists.

Sorry, when this video first surfaced Sunday he said on Twitter (https://twitter.com/DirkFriel/status/247440555494223872) he didn't call the police. I guess since others came forward that has changed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.