Search this Thread

Old 10-21-12, 06:22 AM
Cyclist0084

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 90 Posts
Repainting bicycles

Does anyone know of any bike shops and/or individuals in the Chicagoland / Northwest Indiana area that repaints bikes?

My wife is a breast cancer survivor, and she wants to get her bike repainted pink, with the word "SURVIVOR" in a cursive script put on the frame.

I told her I'd look into it for her. I'd like to "surprise" her with it either at Christmas or on her birthday (in March).

I'm going to start checking around sometime this week, but I wanted to toss the question out to the fine folks here first, hoping someone in the "know," so to speak, would be able to help me out first.

Thanks in advance for any help / info provided.

Old 10-22-12, 02:03 AM
tiztim

Bikes: Trek 520

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You might think about powder coating. I haven't used this shop but I'd look into it. https://uvmetalarts.com/powder-coatin...r-coating.html Another option is anodizing. Google is your friend. Both of these choices require stripping old paint to the bare metal. On the other hand, I used a foam brush and auto-shop brake caliper paint and looks great.

Last edited by tiztim; 10-22-12 at 02:10 AM.
Old 10-22-12, 06:06 AM
Cyclist0084

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by tiztim
You might think about powder coating. I haven't used this shop but I'd look into it. https://uvmetalarts.com/powder-coatin...r-coating.html Another option is anodizing. Google is your friend. Both of these choices require stripping old paint to the bare metal. On the other hand, I used a foam brush and auto-shop brake caliper paint and looks great.
Thanks for the link. That looks like what I'm looking for. And it's not too far from where I live, so that's a bonus as well.
Old 10-29-12, 11:20 AM
nixternal
Fat man in a little coat

Bikes: Trek 7.3 FX, Trek 1.2T

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We have a guy on Athletes By Design that does a lot of custom paint jobs for our riders. His prices aren't crazy I guess and I saw a custom paint job he did recently that was crazy. It was on a Madone and he painted it flat black, but had it so the original paint scheme looked like it was breaking out from the black. If you are interested in getting in touch with him, drop me an email at rich (at) abdcycling (dot) com and I will get his info for you. I know he is in the DuPage County area, and if I had to guess I would say around Wheaton/Winfield, seeing as that is where our shop is located.
Old 12-13-12, 09:44 AM
CharlesP

Bikes: '74 Ral SuperCourse II, '77? Ron Cooper, '82 Scapin Sprint?, '84 Ross Sig, '86 Voyageur, '86 Miy. 512, '87 Prologue, '87 Circuit, '91 MP21, '96? DeBernardi, '14 Dolan Mythos, Giordano Tandem, '18 Masi Alare.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For stickers/decals, check ebay, believe it or not. I found a print shop that has stickers in different sizes, colors, and fonts. They were easy to appply and fairly rugged, but you really need to clean the bike or decal corners may start to peel. They are a BUGGER to get off, I wanted to reposition one and scraped the clear coat under the sticker peeling it of. I think they were around 5 or 6 bucks for 2 big stickers for the downtube.
Old 12-28-12, 10:55 PM
evan938

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
check with automotive body shops too. if its an aluminum or CF bike, those are materials they're used to working with. it'd be best for you or the LBS to strip it down to bare frame and take it to them. a local shop wanted i think $100 to powdercoat a single color, and $150 to do a metallic finish, but i opted out because with aluminum frame and CF fork, i'd still have to pay someone to paint the fork to match. if my buddy ever slows down at his body shop, i'll have him paint it...i want to do it the same diamond gray metallic color as my car...its a secondary bike so i can have some fun with it and still have my main bike to ride in the mean time.
Old 01-30-13, 03:34 AM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Conact sloar on this forum!