Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Swift Industries Ozette Rando bag experience

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-13, 08:12 AM
RickyTylerson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was wondering if any of you out there have any experience with the Swift Ozette rando bag.

I'm thinking about getting one and I'm wondering if I really need to get a decaleur or not. I've already got the rack ( mark's rack by nitto from the rivendell site ) I've been looking at bags for about a year now trying to decide.

I don't really like the idea of the decaleur hardware dangling off my stem when I don't have the bag mounted - but if it turns out I really need it, I'll go for it.

I've looked at Acorn bags as well. They're just such a pain to get ahold of, and I like that I can design the bag from swift.

any owners out there?
Old 05-20-13, 02:16 PM
fuzz2050
Real Men Ride Ordinaries

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RickyTylerson
I was wondering if any of you out there have any experience with the Swift Ozette rando bag.

I'm thinking about getting one and I'm wondering if I really need to get a decaleur or not. I've already got the rack ( mark's rack by nitto from the rivendell site ) I've been looking at bags for about a year now trying to decide.

I don't really like the idea of the decaleur hardware dangling off my stem when I don't have the bag mounted - but if it turns out I really need it, I'll go for it.

I've looked at Acorn bags as well. They're just such a pain to get ahold of, and I like that I can design the bag from swift.

any owners out there?
Well, if you don't like the decaleur hanging off your stem, there is a solution (even if not a cheap one). You just have the wrong rack; one of V-Os racks with an integrated decaleur solves the problem nicely.
Old 06-04-13, 05:35 PM
threecarjam

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have an Acorn Rando bag, which has essentially the same attachment system as the Swift Ozette. I've never felt the need for a decaleur - use it daily for commuting and also for touring. One feature that the Swift is missing is extremely easy to add - some cords that will tie the D-rings on the side to your drop bars right underneath the brake lever, like so:

I've done 40 miles on washed out dirt and gravel, bouncing around like crazy, and haven't had any issues keeping the bag stable without a decaleur, as long as I've made sure the velcro is fastened.
Old 06-04-13, 05:56 PM
thylton

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RickyTylerson

any owners out there?
What is decaleur hardware
Old 06-10-13, 11:08 AM
RickyTylerson

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm just gonna go ahead and get one and worry about the Decaleur setup later.
Old 06-10-13, 05:47 PM
fuzz2050
Real Men Ride Ordinaries

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by thylton
What is decaleur hardware
Sorry to be snarky, but this is decaleur hardware.
Old 06-10-13, 06:01 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,441 Times in 2,764 Posts
That's cool, Fuzz!
Old 06-10-13, 09:57 PM
Ciufalon

Bikes: A few

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
You might also check out Dill Pickle Gear. She makes some really cool stuff and customizes. Been looking at her stuff for a while. Just waiting on a job and money.
Old 06-11-13, 05:32 AM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
i would so be thinking about a decaleur. I have used an Ostrich front bag for about 5 or six years and there's no way id seriously consider running that bag full of stuff without being mounted at the top somewhere. I had one bike i could strap it to the handlebars, but getting that distance between HB and rack is not going to happen on every bike.

a front Rando bags is going to move around a bit without a top mount, running one without a decaleur is going to be sub-optimal.

VO makes front racks now with integrated and removable decaleurs, and a bare hoop to take the place of the decaleur when the front bag is not being used.
Old 06-11-13, 07:53 AM
rperks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have had my Swift Ozette for a few moths now, and it has seen many miles of commuting, touring and even some trail time

Weekend Bike Overnight HWY 33 by rperks1, on Flickr

It is a great bag, holds a ton of stuff and is an improvement over previous bags as far as stability. The stiffener system will allow you to get away with bottom attachment and strings to you bars or hoods, as will an Acorn bag. The mounting is not optimal though. Having a solid upper mount is the way to go. Either a solidly build decaleur or home made hack can get you their, as will straps to your bars if the bag/bar height is there. I have been using a Nitto Lamp holder II with leather straps for years now and it does pretty well.

A whole bunch of goodness going on here by rperks1, on Flickr

Roadeo Acorn Hobo With Nitto Lamp Holder 2 by rperks1, on Flickr

Have fun with it, they are great bags made by great people
Old 06-11-13, 08:38 AM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I used a Nitto light mount II like that on an old bike, but unfortunately it doesn't work with 31.8 handlebars.

i cobbed together a butt ugly headset spacer decaleur with an 1 1/8" basket bracket, a piece of blackburn pump and some M5 bolts, works great. If i were buying another rack it would be a VO with the removeable decaleur.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
viewtoday2.jpg (55.9 KB, 223 views)
File Type: jpg
velo bag 1.JPG (48.6 KB, 215 views)
Old 08-11-16, 11:31 PM
Heatherbikes

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
swift industries not that solidly build, but good to support small businesses.

I have a swift industries rando bag, the smaller ozette bag. I love it, I chose hot pink and purple before they severely cut back on their colour choices. I am having some problems with the elastic and hook set up not really working well. The little pockets are so tedious and hard to get into or close that I never use them. and the corrugated plastic gets bent out of shape if you try fill/stuff the bag too much....which I end up doing. However if I knew I was going for a long long ride, I might plan ahead and fill the pockets, but in future I might want less pockets.
The biggest issue is that velcro straps on the bottom are starting to lose their power after not that much time. I am a bit worried about what to do when they really go. I have been using the bag on the soma fabrications front rack which doesn't have the tombstone thing, but it works very well and sometimes I use a leather strap from a carradice bag to secure it more. I recommend that rack which is meant for front panniers. I have swift industries panniers which are great. The rando bag is for days when I don't need to carry much for work or going out for a ride but need some supplies or might stop at the store. I finally got a proper velo orange rando rack for another bicycle and after hours of stress my husband got it onto the bicycle (and still needs to be redone)but immediately I am concerned as the platform is much smaller and the velcro is not so strong. The bag looks too big for such a small rack. I can see why decalleurs exist.