Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Looking for a decent hybrid fixed gear bike

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-15, 10:54 PM
Abstractworld

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm pretty new to biking and I want to purchase a hybrid fixed gear bike to go on the road or a little bit of trails.
My budget is $300 - $500

What can you guys recommend me at this price range?
Old 01-26-15, 11:04 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
not sure if trolling
Old 01-27-15, 12:37 AM
Abstractworld

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is that not the right type of bike for road and a little bit of off trail biking?
I want a bike that doesn't have to be taken care of with all the derailluers etc. So a single speed is needed.
I also like the handlebars of a hybrid so it's easy to commute without hurting my neck like a dropbar.
I also want a slightly bigger tire than road bikes to go offroad.

Isn't a hybrid single speed good for this job? Or should I be looking at a different type of bike
Old 01-27-15, 01:14 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Do you understand the difference between fix gear and single speed? You mention both. While they are mechanically rather similar, there are two very important differences. A fix gear uses a cog that screws onto the hun and must be locked in place with a lockring with left-hand threads to prevent backpedaling, whether intentional or not, from unscrewing the cog. Hence the hub must be a fix gear hub with twp separate sets of threads. A singlespeed uses a freewheel that screws onto the hub but no lockring is required. The freewheel can be screwed onto any hub designed for either a freewheel or a fix gear.

And then there is the riding. Very different. The pedals on the fix gear are always turning with the rear wheel. There is no coasting.

I'm guessing you already knew this and just wasn't thinking when you wrote the title. If indeed you are looking for a fix gear, you have to make that clear or the bike you receive probably will not have a rear wheel that is fix gear compatible.

Ben
Old 01-27-15, 01:32 AM
Abstractworld

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Do you understand the difference between fix gear and single speed? You mention both. While they are mechanically rather similar, there are two very important differences. A fix gear uses a cog that screws onto the hun and must be locked in place with a lockring with left-hand threads to prevent backpedaling, whether intentional or not, from unscrewing the cog. Hence the hub must be a fix gear hub with twp separate sets of threads. A singlespeed uses a freewheel that screws onto the hub but no lockring is required. The freewheel can be screwed onto any hub designed for either a freewheel or a fix gear.

And then there is the riding. Very different. The pedals on the fix gear are always turning with the rear wheel. There is no coasting.

I'm guessing you already knew this and just wasn't thinking when you wrote the title. If indeed you are looking for a fix gear, you have to make that clear or the bike you receive probably will not have a rear wheel that is fix gear compatible.

Ben
I thought they had fixed gear bikes that could flip around to be changed to free wheel if you choose and vice versa?

Either way, I prefer a fixed bike that requires the pedals to move and no coasting.
Old 01-27-15, 03:50 AM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Abstractworld
I thought they had fixed gear bikes that could flip around to be changed to free wheel if you choose and vice versa?

Either way, I prefer a fixed bike that requires the pedals to move and no coasting.
There are a variety of hubs. Some have threads on one side only and if these didn't have the facility to take a locking ring, you'd be looking at SS only.

The sort of hub you're thinking of is often called a flip flop hub. Even here you have to be careful because they can be set up for SS on both sides (sometimes called free-free), FG on both sides (fixed-fixed) or, most common, FG on one side and SS on the other (fixed-free).

In practice, you can screw a SS freewheel onto a FG hub without a problem, there are plenty of threads. Therefore, the most useful hubs are FG on both sides, thus allowing you two have a different sized fixed cog on each side (allowing you to change gears simply by flipping the wheel, useful for fine tuning your gearing), or a fixed cog on one side and a freewheel on the other (useful for long rides where you may get very tired or have long downhills). The reality is that few people ever get around to flipping the wheel.

If cost effective, buy a hub that allows you to run a fixed cog on both sides. Most though, will take a freewheel and a fixed cog and in the real world, that doesn't matter enough to worry about.
Old 01-27-15, 07:24 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1337 Post(s)
Liked 765 Times in 432 Posts
I think something like the Save Up to 60% Off Road Bikes | Track Bikes | Fixed Gear | Single Speed Bicycles | Motobecane Fixie Flat Bar singlespeed bicycles | Save up to 60% off list prices might best suit your needs. It comes stock with a singlespeed freewheel, but the the rear hub can easily be flipped to add a fixed cog and lockring. It has an upright riding position with a flat bar and is equipped with larger 700x28c tires and probably has room for wider tires if needed. It is modestly priced, so you can afford to make changes / additions / upgrades w/o breaking the bank.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 01-27-15, 02:17 PM
Abstractworld

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
I think something like the Save Up to 60% Off Road Bikes | Track Bikes | Fixed Gear | Single Speed Bicycles | Motobecane Fixie Flat Bar singlespeed bicycles | Save up to 60% off list prices might best suit your needs. It comes stock with a singlespeed freewheel, but the the rear hub can easily be flipped to add a fixed cog and lockring. It has an upright riding position with a flat bar and is equipped with larger 700x28c tires and probably has room for wider tires if needed. It is modestly priced, so you can afford to make changes / additions / upgrades w/o breaking the bank.
For this bike, is it easy to flip the hub to make it a fixed gear? Do I need tools or another hub or make it fixed?
Old 01-27-15, 03:09 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1337 Post(s)
Liked 765 Times in 432 Posts
For this bike, is it easy to flip the hub to make it a fixed gear? Do I need tools or another hub or make it fixed?
You just need to buy a fixed cog and lockring, and then install them on the unused threads on the flip side of the hub. You will need to buy a chain whip and lockring tool to properly tighten the cog and lockring on the hub. You also need a 15mm or adjustable wrench to loosen the axle nuts to remove and reinstall the rear wheel. You do not need the remove the freewheel that is already installed on the hub.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 01-27-15, 03:20 PM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by hairnet
not sure if trolling

+10,000,000

Saw this thread title and all that came to mind was a bunch of words the censor would filter out.
Old 01-27-15, 05:04 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Is that not the right type of bike for road and a little bit of off trail biking?
I want a bike that doesn't have to be taken care of with all the derailluers etc. So a single speed is needed.
I also like the handlebars of a hybrid so it's easy to commute without hurting my neck like a dropbar.
I also want a slightly bigger tire than road bikes to go offroad.

Isn't a hybrid single speed good for this job? Or should I be looking at a different type of bike
OK. Well, take a look at the Kilo WT. You can add riser bars to it later and make it as upright as you want.
Old 01-27-15, 07:16 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Kilo

+1 Internetz and free subscription to bike forums for next year since you were the first to recommend #Kilo in SSFG thread. Good job player!
Old 01-27-15, 07:52 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Originally Posted by punkncat
+1 Internetz and free subscription to bike forums for next year since you were the first to recommend #Kilo in SSFG thread. Good job player!
Ahem, it's #KiloTT
Old 01-27-15, 08:05 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Ahem, it's #KiloTT
Any mention of Kilo gets you something, had you gone that far you would be laying back in a hottub with Betty White.
Old 01-27-15, 09:19 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Hawt
Old 01-28-15, 10:23 AM
AlmostGreenGuy
Intrepid Bicycle Commuter

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Jubile, Austro Daimler 'Ultima', 2012 Salsa Vaya, 2009 Trek 4300, Fyxation Eastside, State Matte Black 6, '97 Trek 930 SHX, '93 Specialized Rockhopper, 1990 Trek 950

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by punkncat
had you gone that far you would be laying back in a hottub with Betty White.
Best double up on the bubble soap.
Old 01-28-15, 04:19 PM
spinerguy

Bikes: Litespeed Teramo, Argon 18 Road, Fuji Mt Fuji Pro MTB, Fuji Track Pro FG, & Cannondale Quick CX Cross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to own a Specialized SingleCross which technically it's a fixed hybrid and a pretty decent one if you ask me.

This model was short lived. I don't believe is made anymore but you can find it often in CL. I bought mine new for $450.

I am not aware of any other hybrid types. It's a rare breed.