Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Those of you who never owned a new bike-- do you resent those that have new bikes?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Those of you who never owned a new bike-- do you resent those that have new bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-11, 11:17 PM
Cyclomania

Bikes: American Eagle, Nishiki.Semipro. Great bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Do some of you who own previously used bicycles or fixed up bicycles regret not having the money to own a spiffy new bike?

Sometimes I wish I had a new virgin bike all my own, but then again used bikes can be such great deals, 30 dollars for a world class bike from the seventies can't be beat!
Old 07-24-11, 11:20 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Yes but I got over it when I turned 9.

But really??? Seems petty, but hey, you are entitled to your own set of values. You are after all entitled to your share of lightheartedness or resentment for that matter and there is nothing wrong with having a little pettiness against another, like a child.
Old 07-25-11, 03:59 AM
Cyclomania

Bikes: American Eagle, Nishiki.Semipro. Great bike.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tagaproject6
Yes but I got over it when I turned 9.

But really??? Seems petty, but hey, you are entitled to your own set of values. You are after all entitled to your share of lightheartedness or resentment for that matter and there is nothing wrong with having a little pettiness against another, like a child.
I'm not all together jealous. Just feel like I'm missing out. Yet realistic. Desiring not to spend the money for a "new" bike that would ride perhaps a tiny bit better than a used one.
Old 07-25-11, 05:00 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
I have about 30 bikes most were purchased used because they were what I wanted. There are very few new bikes out there on the market that appeal to me.

Besides I can get much better deals on used bikes, or a 2 year old demo model.

Of course I spend the savings in upgrades and customizing...

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 07-25-11, 09:05 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyclomania
I'm not all together jealous. Just feel like I'm missing out. Yet realistic. Desiring not to spend the money for a "new" bike that would ride perhaps a tiny bit better than a used one.
You are not missing out on anything.
Old 07-25-11, 10:29 AM
CharleyGnarly

Bikes: '93(?) Diamondback Traverse, '96 Gary Fisher Mamba, 1981 SE Racing Quadangle.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have owned two, new complete bikes, and have built a bike from scratch with all new parts, including frame/fork (this was a BMX bike during my racing days in the '80s.) I have always bought, or been given, used bikes and have never felt I was missing out, or cheated in any way. Quite the opposite. I prefer to build my bikes the way I want them, not the way the store has them set up.
I have a Gary Fisher Mamba my bro bought in '96 that he gave me. Changed out a few parts, and voila! a bike just the way I want it. My bro-in-law gave me a '93 DiamondBack Traverse that I stripped down and converted to a single speed with extra parts and a hub donation. Totally cheap, totally mine.
I don't see a thing wrong with getting a new bike, but just don't find it necessary for myself. And I definitely don't resent those that have new.
Old 07-25-11, 10:34 AM
DCB0
Banned.

Bikes: CCM Torino 76

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I used to work in bike shops and bought a few nice new bikes with my staff discount. Now I no longer work in shops and I have a family and responsibilites that get more attention than my bike fleet, so when I need something new I buy used bikesor frames and build up with parts laying around or scavenged off a bike I plan to decommission. I work with a chap who earns a little more money than me but does not have a family to support and he buys himself a 'fancy' new bike every couple of years and sells the old ones. I am envious that he almost always has nicer equipment than me, but we ride about the same speed on the same trails. Actually, he got a very nice new full suspension bike this spring and he is probably quite a bit faster than me now, but because I have not been riding much and he gets out several times per week, not because of the bike.

If my priorities were different I could buy new bikes myself, but I would rather be envious than homeless.
Old 07-25-11, 10:44 AM
Booger1

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
I've had 2 new bikes,1976-1978...still ride them.
Old 07-25-11, 10:54 AM
PatW

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I buy my bikes new. But they get "old" soon enough. My current ride is 9 speeds but it rides fine and is good for thousands of miles more. I ride with plenty of others who have the new stuff with all the bells and whistles. But I have better ways to spend my energy than to resent that fact.
Old 07-25-11, 10:57 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
See if the C&V guys dislike their older bikes.. yours looks fine..
Old 07-25-11, 03:00 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by PatW
I buy my bikes new. But they get "old" soon enough. My current ride is 9 speeds but it rides fine and is good for thousands of miles more. I ride with plenty of others who have the new stuff with all the bells and whistles. But I have better ways to spend my energy than to resent that fact.
NINE SPEEDS

I don't have any thing over seven Unless you count my IGH Shimano 8 speed.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 07-25-11, 03:07 PM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
I haven't ridden a "modern road bike" so no, I love my old tanks.
Old 07-25-11, 03:10 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,441 Times in 2,764 Posts
Cyclomaniac- 5 new posts already today? Are you sure you have that much interesting to say?
Old 07-25-11, 03:13 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyclomania
Do some of you who own previously used bicycles or fixed up bicycles regret not having the money to own a spiffy new bike?

Sometimes I wish I had a new virgin bike all my own, but then again used bikes can be such great deals, 30 dollars for a world class bike from the seventies can't be beat!
Believe it or not...the last new bike I bought looked remarkably like yours and after that was stolen I have never bought another new bike... yours is an '83-84.

Mind you... I now have my own shop and work with a frame builder so I can build pretty much anything I want.
Old 07-25-11, 03:25 PM
CNY James

Bikes: 2010 Felt F5, 2010 Dawes SST-AL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my father in law has never bought a new bike... he is 60 or 62... he says that stuff doesnt matter to him but then he'll throw out a crack like "must be nice riding that carbon bike with new components" or lament that he wishes he could afford a nice new bike like mine but it's not in the budget. I say it is, he just finds other ways to spend his $, sometimes equally or more sensless than on a brand new bike.

here's my position... I bought a used bike on CL and liked it well enough but yeah I had some penis envy toward the guys with newer, nicer rigs. I decided to sell my old ride to my brother who needed it more than I did and buy a newer bike. I got lucky and found a sweet deal on my Felt. Now, with 2 kids and up until recently, a 50 hour work week, I spend more time wishing I could ride than I actually spend riding. All of that aside, I love my bike and don't regret spending the money but now that I have the bike, it seems dumb that I was ever envious.

Some other food for thought...

I had a guy in my office one day, a successful entrepreneur with high net worth. we were talking about another of my lusts (sports cars) and he told me about some of the cars he has had or currently has. I said "man, that would be great, I'm envious!" His face got real straight and he said "you know, a lot of guys think all the stuff is great and all but I look at a guy like you and think you've got it made..." I asked him what he meant and he pointed at the picture on my wall and said "all the sports cars, boats, vacations etc are great but I'd give it all up to have a family like yours" moral of the story, be envious of somebody else's life possessions but be thankful of what life has given you b/c that guy might be envious of what you have going on too...
Old 07-25-11, 04:37 PM
BlueRaleigh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just take your old bike and start replacing parts. Do that for long enough and you'll eventually have a new bike.
Old 07-25-11, 04:38 PM
BlueRaleigh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CNY James
"all the sports cars, boats, vacations etc are great but I'd give it all up to have a family like yours"
There's a good life lesson right there.
Old 07-25-11, 05:12 PM
CharleyGnarly

Bikes: '93(?) Diamondback Traverse, '96 Gary Fisher Mamba, 1981 SE Racing Quadangle.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueRaleigh
There's a good life lesson right there.
Amen to that. I am sooo much more stoked that I have an awesome family...
Old 07-25-11, 08:16 PM
xrayzebra 
Very Verbose Member

Bikes: Surly Troll, Commencal Meta Power 29 Signature, old Specialized Hard Rock electrified, several restomod Schwinns, Biria Easy Board, Worksman trike electrified

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I'm at the peak of my career, nearing retirement age, have no kids in college, almost no mortgage, no car note, etc. When I was a kid of 18, I lusted after a fast, fancy car, and I remember seeing a really cool car coming down the street, thinking how cool it would be to have it, and then being really insulted that it would be some gray haired old fart driving it when it went by. Now that I am THAT old fart, and could afford a lot more without guilt, I drive a Subaru instead of a Porsche. Now that I could have a Porsche if I really wanted it, I really don't want it. It's just stuff.

The people in my neighborhood with the most expensive, fancy cars, are the ones who I know are also mortgaged over their heads and living beyond their means, trying to look like it's no sweat. Then, there's this old multi-buzillionaire guy in the neighborhood. He's either driving his basic 8 year old Chevy work truck, or his 1948 Jeep pick up that he restored. I guarantee you this guy could be driving a new Porsche or whatnot every week if he wanted. But when he's not on his way to the office, he's in his old Jeep truck with his dog. He probably restored that old truck in a truly first class fashion, and it looks new, but it's a '48, no AC, nothing, all original looking.

That's the vehicle that I envy in my neighborhood.

And before anybody gets all self righteous on Cyclomania for asking an honest and innocent question, or on me for admitting that I, like every human being, experience envy from time to time... get bent!

Anyway, Cyclomania, I've bought a couple of new bikes in the last year. I sold one of them with only 20 miles on it, because I liked my old one better, and I'm excited about the newest one, but it doesn't stop me from browsing CL, yearning for the perfect old bike to fix up. I keep watching for that just exactly right sized old steel frame bike that isn't too beat up and isn't too expensive, so I can mess with it and make it into something even better.

Stick with what you can afford, and keep your priorities straight. It's not how new or expensive it is, it's what you do with it. You've hopefully got a lot of years to have a number of different bikes, or to just find one you really like and use it forever.
Old 07-25-11, 08:40 PM
Cyclaholic
CRIKEY!!!!!!!

Bikes: several

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
Believe it or not...the last new bike I bought looked remarkably like yours and after that was stolen I have never bought another new bike... yours is an '83-84.

Mind you... I now have my own shop and work with a frame builder so I can build pretty much anything I want.
Yehuda? ...is that you?
Old 07-26-11, 02:31 PM
Ron Harry

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My 2 cents
Every bike I've ever owned [mostly steel until 2003], I thought initially was a great ride...until I upgraded and found out what I was missing. Carbon Fiber was another 'world' of biking, if you ask me [not that anyone would, ha]. But even with CF, there is 'better'...and seems proportional to the price tag.

Getting on that first truly high performance bike for the first time raises one's consciousness [mine anyway] that I really didn't know what I was misisng before [ignorance is indeed, bliss]...and any blind man 'born' blind has no idea of what he's missing, right?

I drooled over high end component bikes all my life. I paid dues. Still, there does seem to be an injustice that those fine youthful athletes who can probably make the machine do summersaults, while those like me can only make it 'go' [slow]...also probably can't afford the top models [just like I never could until I got older]. It's another one of them irony's of life I guess, like the bank only giving out loans to people who don't really need 'em, that when young and CAN do things, you can't afford to do those things until your old and decrepid and can no longer do 'em.
Old 07-26-11, 02:38 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyclaholic
Yehuda? ...is that you?
My frame building partner is not nearly as cute and does not smoke a pipe...
Old 07-26-11, 03:52 PM
shipwreck

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
If I ever felt envy over the four or five thousand dollar bikes a few of my friends ride, it was thinking about how much top shelf vintage stuff I could be playing with if I was willing to charge the same on a credit card. If I had the cash, I would probably not have anything newer than 1990. In fact, if I had the cash, my collection would start to average Older, not newer.
Old 07-26-11, 06:01 PM
CNY James

Bikes: 2010 Felt F5, 2010 Dawes SST-AL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shipwreck
If I ever felt envy over the four or five thousand dollar bikes a few of my friends ride, it was thinking about how much top shelf vintage stuff I could be playing with if I was willing to charge the same on a credit card. If I had the cash, I would probably not have anything newer than 1990. In fact, if I had the cash, my collection would start to average Older, not newer.
not all people riding nice bikes have credit card debt. Just sayin
Old 07-26-11, 06:32 PM
shipwreck

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by CNY James
not all people riding nice bikes have credit card debt. Just sayin
Interesting. I never said they all do. Indeed, if you read what I wrote, I never said that my friends do. I said that I would have to. And I am pretty comfortable with saying that.

Last edited by shipwreck; 07-26-11 at 06:34 PM. Reason: spelling and clarity

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.