Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Felt Z85 or F85 for AIDS Lifecycle?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-11, 10:01 PM
gisk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey all,

Noobie here, so please excuse me if this is a dumb question. I already searched the forums and Google for an answer to my dilemma, but couldn't find anything relevant.

I'm looking for my first road bike so I can participate in the AIDS Lifecycle next June. For those unfamiliar with it, it's a 545-mile ride across 7 days, with an average of 80-miles per day.

I'm shopping for a bike around $1000, and have been to a few LBS and all of them suggested the Z85, so it seems like I should go with that. But while looking around at other options, I also found an F85, and here's my problem. I used competitivecyclist.com's fit calculator, and here are my results:

Measurements
-------------------------------------------
Inseam: 73
Trunk: 63.5
Forearm: 12.
Arm: 31.75
Thigh: 53.34
Lower Leg: 48.26
Sternal Notch: 132
Total Body Height: 165

The Competitive Fit (cm)
Seat tube range c-c: 47.3 - 47.8
Seat tube range c-t: 48.7 - 49.2
Top tube length: 38.7 - 39.1
Stem Length: 6.6 - 7.2
BB-Saddle Position: 64.3 - 66.3
Saddle-Handlebar: 31.6 - 32.2
Saddle Setback: 2.0 - 2.4

The Eddy Fit (cm)
Seat tube range c-c: 48.5 - 49.0
Seat tube range c-t: 49.9 - 50.4
Top tube length: 38.7 - 39.1
Stem Length: 5.5 - 6.1
BB-Saddle Position: 63.5 - 65.5
Saddle-Handlebar: 32.4 - 33.0
Saddle Setback: 3.2 - 3.6

The French Fit (cm)
Seat tube range c-c: 50.2 - 50.7
Seat tube range c-t: 51.6 - 52.1
Top tube length: 39.9 - 40.3
Stem Length: 5.7 - 6.3
BB-Saddle Position: 61.8 - 63.8
Saddle-Handlebar: 34.1 - 34.7
Saddle Setback: 2.7 - 3.1

I'm on the short side (5' 5"), and I'm going for the "Eddy Fit" since it's a nice blend of power and comfort, both of which I'll need for 545 miles. Unfortunately the smallest size in the Z85 is 51cm, whereas the F85 comes in 48cm. I've test-ridden both and both felt "ok", but since I'm new to road bikes I'm not sure if what I think was comfortable will actually be so after 545 miles, so I'm inclined to just follow these calculations and opt for the 48cm F85 since the 51cm Z85 seems too big (according to these measurements, not personal feel). I definitely like the shifters on the Z85 more than the F85, and the LBS told me the Z85 has better components (it is more expensive, afterall), so I'm struggling between the two. Any advice is much appreciated! Thanks, all!

TL; DR:
Z85 in 51cm or F85 in 48cm, considering I want the "Eddy Fit" for a 545-mile ride?
Old 08-27-11, 10:16 PM
MikeyBoyAz
Middle-Aged Member

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV 2014, TREK HIFI 2011, Argon18 E-116 2013

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would go with the F series... I like them more, and I am biased... else go with the Z series... my lbs actually said I should do the F series regardless due to my inseam/height combination.
Old 08-28-11, 08:02 AM
Mike F

Bikes: 2017 Specilized Roubaix, 2012 Scott CR1 Team, Felt Z85

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
You have plenty of time to get used to either of them. The Z's geometry is more conducive to longer rides but if you think your going to race in the future or like the benefits of a more race oriented bike, the F would be a good choice. Also if the Z doesnt fit you right, it would negate any benefits of the relaxed geometry. Again time is on your side for training and adjustments.
Old 08-28-11, 08:10 AM
david58

Bikes: Fuji Cross Comp, BMC SR02, Surly Krampas

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode a Z frame rental bike a week ago on a 40 miler. Seemed to fit me well, ho aches or pains after 40 miles on someone else's bike. For what its worth...
Old 08-28-11, 08:40 AM
DinoShepherd
cycle-dog spot

Bikes: Look, Niner, Ellsworth, Norco, Litespeed

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lots more info needed.

What are your riding now?
What is your current stem to seat drop?
How does it feel?
Any pains?
How much do you ride?
What kind of riding do you do / want to do?
Old 08-28-11, 09:08 AM
dwatson

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My F75 is a great bike after a few mods, either one would be a good bike. The Z has a longer head tube for a more upright position and would more comfortable on long ride. This isn't to say the F can't, you just need to be for flexible. I would ride both and choose the one that feel best to you. As for the online fit calculators, I never found one that worked for me. I ride a 56cm with a 112 stem, most of the calculators say I should be on a 54 with a 100 stem. I have ridden this setup for almost 25 years. I would suggest you use the TT length when looking at frame size.
Old 08-28-11, 09:14 AM
CNY James

Bikes: 2010 Felt F5, 2010 Dawes SST-AL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like my F5 a lot but as mentioned above, the Z geometry might be a little more comfortable on a 500 mile ride...
Old 08-28-11, 05:25 PM
gisk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the replies thus far!

Originally Posted by DinoShepherd
Lots more info needed.

What are your riding now?
Nothing, this will be my first road bike.

What is your current stem to seat drop?
N/A. For the test ride the LBS did a quick adjustment of the seat post height.

How does it feel?
N/A. Both the 51cm and 48cm felt "fine" when I test road them, and since I have no experience my standard for what's comfortable might not align with what I should be riding (like when you see really short people riding a 56cm bike with the seat post all the way in and saddle in the lowest position; it feels ok to them but obviously they don't know any better.)

Any pains?
For the about 20 min test ride on each, no.

How much do you ride?
None right now, but the bike will be a daily commuter (~5-10 miles/day) and used for the AIDS Lifecycle next year (545 miles).

What kind of riding do you do / want to do
It'll be for commuting and the AIDS Lifecycle. Don't know if I'll race, but if I do I probably won't be super competitive and just more for fun.

Originally Posted by dwatson
My F75 is a great bike after a few mods, either one would be a good bike. The Z has a longer head tube for a more upright position and would more comfortable on long ride. This isn't to say the F can't, you just need to be for flexible. I would ride both and choose the one that feel best to you. As for the online fit calculators, I never found one that worked for me. I ride a 56cm with a 112 stem, most of the calculators say I should be on a 54 with a 100 stem. I have ridden this setup for almost 25 years. I would suggest you use the TT length when looking at frame size.
The LBS mentioned this too. They said the F can be comfortable for a longer ride and should be for me since she told me I'm "young and flexible" (I'm 22). The sticker on the Z85's frame had a diagram of the bike geometry and it was labeled as 51cm, but the picture showed 52.5cm for the "effective top tube length". I'm not quite sure what this means, but the seat tube was 51cm in the picture. Thanks for your input because I guess my real question is whether I should follow this online fit calculator since it's telling me anything bigger than a 50cm is a stretch, which is making me hesitate to go with the Z85 since it's 51cm (and possibly even a 52.5cm from the "effective top tube length"?).
Old 08-28-11, 05:53 PM
dwatson

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The effective top tube length is the straight line, these frame have a sloping top tube. which makes them longer.
I would look for a frame with effective top tube length of 40cm, as a starting point. But nothing beat take the bike for a ride. Just make sure the LBS set both bike up the same.