Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Recommend a Good Winter Helmet

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Recommend a Good Winter Helmet

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-05, 05:18 PM
nathank
cycle-powered

Bikes: '02 Specialized FSR, '03 RM Slayer, '99 Raleigh R700, '97 Norco hartail, '89 Stumpjumper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i often wear my snowboard helmet with ski goggles for biking in winter (i did today in fact).
mine has ear/neck cover which is great.

as to the question about side visibility with goggles:
yes, i feel i have pretty good side vision. to be technical i think a few degrees are cut off...
but when i wear the goggles it is usually b/c it is snowing crazy in which case my vision is WAY better with the goggles -- for example today is was right around freezing so we had those huge wet flakes that melt on you face. i had the goggles on and rode a ways. then i had to stop at a light and it was hot so i pushed the goggles up on my helmet and thought iwould ride a few minutes so... well, i couldn't see jack without the goggles, so i put the goggles back on -- yeah!

i also have a wind cover that i put on my regular bike helmet and then i add a skull-cap and windproof ear-warmers which works well --- but when it is really cold/windy it is no match for the snowboard helmet.

as to a full-face helmet. YES, if it is really cold then also not a bad idea. I have a full-face that i wear for off-road mountain biking, but i have also found that it is quite good at blocking the wind when it is cold (i recommend wearing some kind of under layer like i mask/skull-cap or whatever and maybe have 2 - thick and thin for different temp)