Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

I'm not real happy about this heat wave

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

I'm not real happy about this heat wave

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-05, 10:58 PM
buzzman
----

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
It's all my fault.

I mounted my front studded tire and the temperature rose a good ten degrees farenheit immediately. I've now put the back one on and it's gone up another 10.

Sorry. I'll take them off tomorrow.
Old 12-28-05, 08:55 AM
Cromulent
I'm fine.

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport, IRO Rob Roy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by buzzman
It's all my fault.

I mounted my front studded tire and the temperature rose a good ten degrees farenheit immediately. I've now put the back one on and it's gone up another 10.

NOOOOOO! Keep them on. Put two more tires over them if you can. We need temperatures in the 50s around here.

Roody - as much as I enjoy the... er... fun of snow/ice biking, I have to say that these last couple of days the commute has been great. Wet, sure, but it's been nice to feel my feet and fingers. And I haven't had to put on every single layer of bike clothes I own. Keep it above 34 and I'm a happy commuter.
Old 12-28-05, 09:07 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
It's all my fault.

Can you wait just one more day? I'm going to get out my road bike today.
Old 12-28-05, 01:00 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Weather update: It looks like more of this unbearable heat wave for the next five days, for much of the nation. Another layer came off yesterday, and I gave my bike a good cleaning today. Go ahead and get out your fair weather bikes and gear, I'm afraid the heat wave could last all winter.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 12-28-05, 01:09 PM
SDRider
Cat None

Bikes: LOOK KG 461, LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er 0

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sbhikes
We don't get much winter here in Santa Barbara, but I was sad to hear the days will be getting longer. I really enjoy playing with all my lights and riding home in the dark.
Not me, I welcome the longer days of summer. That and it was in the 40s this morning when I set out at 6:30AM for work on my bike.
Old 12-28-05, 01:12 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
Weather update: It looks like more of this unbearable heat wave for the next five days, for much of the nation. Another layer came off yesterday, and I gave my bike a good cleaning today. Go ahead and get out your fair weather bikes and gear, I'm afraid the heat wave could last all winter.
I never got to give my 'good' bike a rest and I was going to finally finish getting my new winter bike put together this weekend. You're on the right track though....clean that bike! I'm gonna clean mine too...that outta ensure a new round of old-fashioned north-mid-western winter weather. C'mon, it's not even January, we got a ways to go yet!
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 12-28-05, 11:57 PM
tokolosh

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's all my fault.

I mounted my front studded tire and the temperature rose a good ten degrees farenheit immediately.
take 'em off. and get michaelnel to take off that rain gear too.

bleah. my contract will be over on jan 17 - two weeks and two days after i go back from this week's determined let's-not-leave-the-house-for-five-days-just-to-prove-we-don't-hafta marathon. i'm kind of hoping for adversity during that time to give me the wrap-up feeling that i actually did something all these past four months.
Old 12-29-05, 12:08 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
OK that's enough for me. I took a road bike out. I found one little spot of snow in the shade. Please now return to our regular winter. It was in the low 40's here today.
Old 12-29-05, 07:43 AM
nathank
cycle-powered

Bikes: '02 Specialized FSR, '03 RM Slayer, '99 Raleigh R700, '97 Norco hartail, '89 Stumpjumper

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hey Roody,

i understand totally what you mean. last year's winter in Europe was pretty weak.

BUT this year has started off really well and we have had snow on the ground probably 7 of the last 8 weeks -- here in Munich!! which is more snow than we had ALL of winter 2005!

it snowed again yesterday with about 6" new whcih we needed as the old stuff was melting rapidly and the ground was about 50/50 brown/white.

someone mentioned that the swampy/wet areas are hard frozen: yeah! i went mountain biking last night in the 4-8" of powder on the trails and it was awesome!

although i am actually a warm and sunny weather person (i'm from texas and i love >100F days!) i like the winter in small doses -- what i really hate is the slightly-above freezing wet!

my studded tires have been well used this year and it's not even january!!

so hope you guys get some of the cold on the other side of the pond!! (i was in Boston in early November for the Blue Norther just after Katrina but in Boston it was still pretty warm although i think they got like 4-6 feet of snow up in Vermont/NH/Maine)
Old 12-29-05, 11:11 PM
sth

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wanna ski again...warm rain just dont cut it...