Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Import duty for wheels from the UK

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-19, 03:40 PM
king_solom0n

Bikes: Fuji SL 25, Giant TCR Advanced SL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm interested in buying Fulcrum Racing Zero Carbon wheels from Merlin Cycles. I remember seeing somewhere that a duty has to be paid for anything over $800. I've been trying to find about how much the duty would be but I seem to have no luck.

Has anyone recently bought wheels from overseas? If you had to pay import duties, how much was it?
Old 01-31-19, 04:31 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
I'm trying to figure out what some of the UK dealers have come up with as a solution.. Eg. my last Merlin order had a whole tracking history that showed package going to JFK and in customs (makes sense right since I'm in NYC?). Sits there supposedly (per tracking) for a few days, then goes to a USPS sort facility in long Island. Delivers a day or two after going local.
However, the package shows up, with only a 1-day USPS Priority overnight shipping label affixed to it, with a return address and company name that I haven't heard of, in Miami Florida?
Old 01-31-19, 04:50 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I'm trying to figure out what some of the UK dealers have come up with as a solution.. Eg. my last Merlin order had a whole tracking history that showed package going to JFK and in customs (makes sense right since I'm in NYC?). Sits there supposedly (per tracking) for a few days, then goes to a USPS sort facility in long Island. Delivers a day or two after going local.
However, the package shows up, with only a 1-day USPS Priority overnight shipping label affixed to it, with a return address and company name that I haven't heard of, in Miami Florida?
The Florida company was likely a freight forwarder. They will arrange for the pick up at origin (or the package can be shipped to the local forwarder's office), put it on a ship or plane to a U.S. City, get it cleared through customs and then sent to the recipient via local service, truck, or whatever is needed. They essentially manage it point to point so you don't have to hassle trying to figure out the requirements for international shipping.
Old 01-31-19, 05:18 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by Ogsarg
The Florida company was likely a freight forwarder. They will arrange for the pick up at origin (or the package can be shipped to the local forwarder's office), put it on a ship or plane to a U.S. City, get it cleared through customs and then sent to the recipient via local service, truck, or whatever is needed. They essentially manage it point to point so you don't have to hassle trying to figure out the requirements for international shipping.
So was my package shipped as a box within a box or something? I received a pristine looking box, that to all appearances looked like it had traveled like it was labeled via priority overnight... not taken 8 days overseas and sitting in customs for 3 days. My Merlin tracking history has about 25 scans/steps in the process. Arriving in country in NY, Not Miami, and delivered. I don't see how a sealed box goes thru Customs and comes with no labelling from the shipper in the UK whatsoever
Old 01-31-19, 07:42 PM
Noctilux.95

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4 Celeste, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Giant TCR SL, Giant Revolt Advanced Revolt 0 Gravel Bike, Trek Madone SLR, Cervelo R5 Disk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 65 Posts
I've bought a ton of high end carbon wheels and Dura Ace di2 groupset from UK and Germany and have never been hit with import duties. Places I've shopped are Merlin, Chain reaction, Bike24, and Starbike.
Old 01-31-19, 11:05 PM
king_solom0n

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Noctilux.95
I've bought a ton of high end carbon wheels and Dura Ace di2 groupset from UK and Germany and have never been hit with import duties. Places I've shopped are Merlin, Chain reaction, Bike24, and Starbike.
Just what I was looking for. Thank you!
Old 02-01-19, 09:09 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by king_solom0n
Just what I was looking for. Thank you!
Just to be clear, you should be prepared to take a dutyhit. You probably won't, I didn't when I bought a wheelset overseas, but it does happen.
Old 02-01-19, 02:32 PM
king_solom0n

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Just to be clear, you should be prepared to take a dutyhit. You probably won't, I didn't when I bought a wheelset overseas, but it does happen.
Ok thanks.. I wish I knew how much it could be ahead to time so I could budget for it
Old 02-02-19, 12:51 AM
Quiglesnbits

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by king_solom0n
I wish I knew how much it could be ahead to time so I could budget for it
5% for wheels, 10% more for wheels from china.
Old 02-02-19, 07:31 PM
king_solom0n

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Quiglesnbits
5% for wheels, 10% more for wheels from china.
Thank you!!