Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Vintage Fork - Where to buy??

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-19, 10:57 PM
ahint

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I recently got a deal on a vintage Bianchi Nuovo 12vel for a summer project. Most repairs are aesthetic, but unfortunately the fork is bent. I'm relatively new to bikes and am struggling to find a place to grab a replacement online (vintage or new steel). Are there any sites/vendors/private sellers you'd suggest??

Cheers!
Old 06-29-19, 04:39 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,752 Times in 939 Posts
Join the For Sale forum, here at Bike Forums. Start a new thread, seeking what you need and check back frequently. Chances are more than good that you will find a fork fast. In fact, I have an all chrome one that I think came off of a Bianchi. Sadly, the fender lugs have been removed. Anyway, do the For Sale Forum thing. I does cost a small amount but it is worth it many times over.
Old 06-29-19, 08:25 AM
BrewsterII

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Are you sure the frame is not tweaked? Typically, if the fork is damaged there will be frame damage as well.

With that being said, what size frame do you have?

I have this "Trek" fork I'd give up. It is new, never used or installed, never painted. The fork is stamped "Reynolds 531 Butted 16/13".

Old 06-29-19, 08:34 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,703 Times in 937 Posts
Originally Posted by BrewsterII

I dig that "TREK" stamp above the brake hole!

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 06-29-19, 08:45 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
Originally Posted by ahint
I recently got a deal on a vintage Bianchi Nuovo 12vel for a summer project. Most repairs are aesthetic, but unfortunately the fork is bent. I'm relatively new to bikes and am struggling to find a place to grab a replacement online (vintage or new steel). Are there any sites/vendors/private sellers you'd suggest??

Cheers!
...steel forks are straightenable, depending on the degree and location of bentness, and your ability to find someone with the tools and knowledge willing to try the repair. It is almost always preferable to straighten the original versus swapping the fork.......when the original permits it.

There used to be a couple of guys on this forum who would do this for a fee if you mail them the fork.

You'd need to post up some decent photos to allow for some judgement calls on whether it's an option. I have, myself, straightened plenty of bent forks over at the bike co-op here for local residents. I don't think you can find a bike shop that will do it any more because liability. But it was a pretty common repair back in ancient times before we could shop for forks on the internet.
Old 06-29-19, 08:57 AM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
@ahint First of all welcome to the forums. I would suggest you get your 10 posts in, comments on other threads etc so you can post pictures of the fork and the bike. As Randyjawa said the sales forum is a good place to start with a WTB and a description of what you want and pictures help alllot. As has been said above a bent fork could also indicate frame damage in a front ender collision you often see flaking paint spots on the top tube and down tube where the frame has absorbed the damage.

I recently went through sourcing a fork myself and since I needed a canti fork it was a bit of a search but I was able to source one on ebay. Pro Tip know the length of your steerer tube the pipe the extends up from the fork crown that is key!! If you have a rim brake bike (Calipers or center pulls) you can source a replacement sunlite 27" fork in chrome on Amazon assuming your wheel size is 27" and not 700c. You will also want to determine if the fork is threaded or threadless. and 1 inch or 1 1/8 Again pictures will help us help you. Good luck
Old 06-29-19, 10:06 AM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Paging Uri Geller...

Cheers!

Bent fork? Is it really pretzeled or creased? ( Likelyhood of frame issues goes up if so.)

Welcome!

I'm not sure how familiar you are with steel bicycles, but it is possible to straighten bent frames, stays, and yes, forks, if there are no creases or puckers in the tubes, and no involvement at the brazed crown/blade junction. If your fork is a suitable candidate, the repair, done properly, will render the fork "good as new", (roughly speaking).

You will also have the original frame intact, as it was meant to be, and earned some serious C&V gravitas cred, besides. Post pictures and more will be revealed, and opined upon. Let's see.

Cheers, Eric
Old 06-29-19, 10:14 AM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 175 Posts
Ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bianchi-Spe...IAAOSwaQ9dFmFR

Old 06-29-19, 03:02 PM
ahint

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Luckily there's no frame damage, just sway to the left below the crown. It's almost as if the bike was laying down and someone jumped on the legs. Dropped it off at my LBS a few days ago and they'll be trying to straighten them out.

The frame is 61cm, threaded tube ~22cm for 700c (I had researched Sunlite as well, but alas). Sounds like I'll start hitting the gym in case LBS can't get it done. In the meantime, I'll work on getting photos up, and onto the purchasing forum.

Thanks a ton all!
Old 06-30-19, 01:45 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 193 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2935 Post(s)
Liked 2,931 Times in 1,496 Posts
Check around to some of the older shops in your area. Was a time when shops would save forks from damaged frames. Finding an older box crown fork should be easy, finding a old Bianchi fork with the right car-touche in the crown and Celeste might be hard.

I would just look for a nice chromoly fork and call it a day.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 06-30-19, 02:29 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
@ahint's album/gallery:
https://www.bikeforums.net/g/user/501566
https://www.bikeforums.net/g/album/14360310

Luckily there's no frame damage, just sway to the left below the crown. It's almost as if the bike was laying down and someone jumped on the legs. Dropped it off at my LBS a few days ago and they'll be trying to straighten them out.

The frame is 61cm, threaded tube ~22cm for 700c (I had researched Sunlite as well, but alas). Sounds like I'll start hitting the gym in case LBS can't get it done. In the meantime, I'll work on getting photos up, and onto the purchasing forum.

Thanks a ton all!
Your bike looks pretty clean. I think I have a Bianchi fork laying around somewhere, but burgundy colored, and with a shorter steer tube.

Your best bet is to find a good older/vintage/classic bike shop that has the tools and experience to fix the fork. And, then don't have to deal with matching paint, and keep it all original.

Where are you located?

You need to find a shop or FRAMEBUILDER with these tools:

Park Fork and Frame Straightener.
https://www.parktool.com/product/fra...ightener-ffs-2

Park Frame and Fork Dropout Alignment Gauge Set.
https://www.parktool.com/product/fra...auge-set-ffg-2

Park FT-4
https://www.parktool.com/product/for...and-gauge-ft-4
Old 06-30-19, 04:44 PM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by markwesti
Holy....Another good reason to straighten them.
Old 06-30-19, 04:51 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Originally Posted by Last ride 76
Holy....Another good reason to straighten them.
Much cheaper than a similar Colnago fork.

But, even within Bianchi, one might have troubles matching the shade of Celeste, and the fading of the color over time.

Plus, that fork crown slopes more than the OP's crown.
Old 06-30-19, 05:13 PM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,916 Times in 656 Posts
Without a picture to confirm, I'm pretty sure you don't need a new fork, the one you have now can be straightened. Steel framebuilders do this all the time. Do you know how to find one?