Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

F1 BMX? A mini-velo alternative?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-23, 01:29 AM
SaikyoSenpai

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Heyo, not sure if its the right place but ig this is a small bike - mini velo kinda thing... (not truly a bmx thing) Anyways, what do ya'll think of F1 BMXs? Were they built well / sturdy? Would an F1 BMX be a good mini-velo-esque commuter bike? Are they easy enough to find and maintain or are there a lot of special parts?
Old 10-14-23, 07:18 AM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
About 5-7 companies came out with F1 BMX bikes during a short lived attempt to introduce a new style of BMX racing. It roughly began around 88 to early 90’s.

they are meant for full racing and not commuting. A great bar bike! Steering is very quick. The bikes are hard to find but not valuable.

I enjoy my DB F1 and ride, switch parts on it. It came to me as a frame fork buy.

Search on BMX Museum site for history and examples

Bummer, closest pic of it built as a full bike.

Old 10-16-23, 01:48 AM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios x10, customzed Dahon Smooth Hound x11,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 d7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup 1x11), Planet X Giovanissimi 20 (1x9), Frog 52 (1x9) and Frog 48 1s

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 241 Times in 177 Posts
The thing to look at is the manufacturing standards; BMX stuffs are very different (seat post, bottom bracket etc.) than regular commuter/hybrid bike.
If you can get the parts and adjust to position so it is comfortable for you, i should make a descent minivelo

https://endless-sphere.com/sphere/th...-f1-bmx.40442/
Old 10-16-23, 11:53 PM
SaikyoSenpai

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great stuff! Thanks for sharing. I think i'll see what floats on by on the used market and investigate that particulars bike. Might be a fun project!

cheers! <3
Old 10-17-23, 08:15 AM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
It would be interesting to see what floats by… come back and show us your catch! I snagged mine for cheap because the seller didn’t really know what to think of it and a Mini-Velo bike wasn’t his thing.