Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Xtracycle

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-05, 04:31 PM
carless
Fatties Fit Fine

Bikes: Bianchi (2), Surly w/ couplers, REI tourer, Giant OCR Touring

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Xtracycle

https://www.xtracycle.com/html/home.php
I have read some comments in the past, post links, comments, tips?
I am considering my novara randonee for conversion.
Are the weight limits accurate?
Do I need additional/different brakes?
Gearing- extremley low?
Extra hardware essential?
My LBS has a mechanical engineer who will do the work.
Old 10-21-05, 04:55 PM
Mtn Mike
Super Biker

Bikes: 2014 Curtlo, 2006 Serotta Coeur d’Acier, 2005 Independent Fabrication Steel Delux, 2003 Surly 1x1, 2003 Surly Cross Check, 1986 Schwin Worldsport SS commuter, 1980's Mongoose Supergoose

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My LBS has one on the shop floor. The flat bed seems to be very sturdy and solid. The bike isn't too heavy, and pedals fine. The only weird thing to get used to is the very long wheel base, which become apparent in tight cornering. If you're using the bike for hauling stuff, the cornering shouldn't be an issue for you anyway. By the looks of it, the conversion is not complicated at all. It requires little, if any modification to the original bike frame. You will probably need longer rear cables, and possibly a mtn bike style v-brake or cantlelever brake.
Old 10-22-05, 12:32 AM
gauk

Bikes: Giant Sedona LX + Xtracycle and modifications.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The weight limits are the max load garanteed not to break it, some people have loaded more.
The conversion requires V-brakes or disc brakes(rear). I would highly recommend a front disc if you plan on a lot of unloaded braking as most of your weight will be on the front. The non-removeable frame extension is only 4lb, it's the rack, seat and bags that add another 5lb.
Gearing: I went extremely low for when/if I haul 200lb cargo uphill. A triple chainring would be a good idea
As for extra hardware, it all depends on your application. There are no standard passenger stoker bars, so unless you're good friends with your passenger you might want to look into a solution. The conversion kit comes with the extra chain and longer brake cable you'll need.
Old 10-22-05, 02:17 AM
steveknight

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think it looks a bit dorky. but I would not use it on a biek that I use all the time if I am not hauling stuff all the time.
a trailer practial and easier to load and you cna use the same bike.
Old 10-22-05, 09:19 PM
Thor29

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You don't need a mechanical engineer to install an Xtracycle. It bolts on to your frame and then you put your rear brake and derailleur on the Xtracycle subframe. After that all you have to do is cut (or splice) the appropriate length chain and redo the cables.

The 700c version will work on a Novara Randonee but a mountain bike (or "urban" bike) makes a better platform. Mountain bike handlebars help when the bike is really loaded down and a 26" wheel will be a bit stronger than a 700c.

I had an Xtracycle for awhile and I loved it, but not as my only bike. In the big city it is a bit cumbersome to park and to carry up and down stairs. But man, oh man, was it wonderful at the grocery store! Four bags of groceries - no problem. And when I was building my fixed gear bike I carried the frame home on the Xtracycle. I'd really like to build another one eventually. It will function as a sort of two-wheeled truck.
Old 10-22-05, 09:27 PM
manewal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been using one for several months, riding 25 to 40 miles a day in San Francisco, hauling nursing gear around, augmented with an electric motor for the hills (www.cleverchimp.com).

If you're hauling much weight, I highly agree with the suggestion to put a disc at least on the front. Especially if you ride in the rain.

Low gearing is good. I use a Rohloff and, even without the power assist, I make it up some fairly gnarly hills and I'm over 60 years old.

I have gotten totally used to the long wheelbase and except for very tight turns, don't notice anything other than a slightly more cushy ride. I find it rides a lot better than a trailer. More versatile too. Xtracycle website has a good comparison between their product at trailers, 7th item in the FAQ's.

As for looking dorky, I feel very smug as I haul four full bags of groceries home. And people on the street have remarked, "Cool bike!" To me, it looks WAY better than a SUV. But then I'm not in the Spandex crowd to begin with. I use mine as a car replacement and have named it SUBTAD: Sport Utility Bike That Ate Detroit.

I found it easy to put on my bike. I found some used tandem passenger bars on Ebay and bolted 'em on my seatpost. Besides my wife liking them, I find them useful to grab on to when moving the rear end around when parking. (The bike's rear end, not my wife's!)
Old 10-22-05, 10:18 PM
Ashen
Cascadian Nationalist

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Wow, that is perfect. I had seen mention of Xtracycles around here before, but somehow never investigated. This is definitely in my future.
Old 10-22-05, 10:24 PM
biodiesel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Had one for awhile now. Been posting on how much i love the rig. I forget how nice it is, but riding to work with a backpack not on my back, carrying two FULL paper grocery bags home plus that backpack... When i commuted on my standard bike it was with a sweaty back, and i couldn't carry much more than a tiny bit of food home. Or with a backpack and a rack i could carry light groceries home.
I can carry my work bag, a breifcase, a toolbox to lock my stuff in and still give a girl a ride to her car, then pick up a bag of groceries.

Not too much heavier, good straight line and tracks at speed, no second parts to lock up, good street cred ad expandable to hold more weight than a trailer. Plus i don't forget to take it or wish i'd brought it.
Old 10-23-05, 01:18 PM
carless
Fatties Fit Fine

Bikes: Bianchi (2), Surly w/ couplers, REI tourer, Giant OCR Touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the concept, and the utility of the Xtracycle. I have a Giant OCR Touring w/ disc brakes, granny gear and Mt Bike wheel set. I originally thought this was a steel only set up, aluminum does work?
Old 10-23-05, 09:41 PM
Thor29

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carless
I like the concept, and the utility of the Xtracycle. I have a Giant OCR Touring w/ disc brakes, granny gear and Mt Bike wheel set. I originally thought this was a steel only set up, aluminum does work?
Aluminum frames work fine, in fact Xtracycle sells a complete bike based on the Marin Novato, which happens to be aluminum.
Old 11-22-05, 09:49 AM
tiroleaf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i'm very happy with my extracycle. in fact i'de ride it instead of my 'normal' wheelbased ride if it weren't for the fact that it is a bit cumersome. it tracks that sweet. easy to install although you may need a different chain, since the one supplied is 7/8 speed. also if you are staying with road levers you'll need a problem solvers travel agent for the rear brake as the rear only accepts v brakes. it's a good idea to add additional varnish to the snap deck since that has a light coating. easy-i used clear spray. beoshield/framesaver the insides of the tubes would'nt hurt. the plastic plugs will fall out when ridden but you can make washers out of old tubes to keep them secure. fenders with mudflaps are good. the mudflap on the rear should extend below the rear bridge, keeping spray away from the weld gas holes there. all said it's a quality product and for me rides like a dream.
Old 11-23-05, 10:35 AM
joelpalmer
Back after a long absence

Bikes: 1974 Schwinn Speedster 3-speed, Raleigh Super Course

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't ride one but do have a buddy who recently did almost 400 miles touring on his (and in flip-flops no less) riding the CA coast from Eureka to SF. He loves it, has been car free for years and has moved 2x with just the xtracycle.
Old 11-23-05, 11:15 AM
chipko
cool babies...

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Trek fixie(Stolen), Gary Fisher MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The 700c version will work on a Novara Randonee but a mountain bike (or "urban" bike) makes a better platform. Mountain bike handlebars help when the bike is really loaded down and a 26" wheel will be a bit stronger than a 700c.
I have been dreaming of an xtracycle for awhile and one question i have gone back and forth with is 26" or 700c. I am wondering if anyone else has any opinions on the 26" vs. 700c question. What size do you use with your xtracycle? Why? thanks for the input.
Old 11-23-05, 01:19 PM
tfahrner
est'd 1966

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
while many people are happy with their 700c-based xtracycles, i think 26" makes more sense for the following reasons:
- for any given spoke count and build quality, 26" wheels are stronger than 700c by a considerable margin. you can load up enough for this to matter. passengers, potholes, speed, and 700c wheels are trouble.
- you can run much fatter tires, with or without fenders, using 26" wheels. tire volume is the only form of rear (load) suspension you'll have with an xtracycle.
- the xtracycle chassis was designed around typical MTB geometry. 700c-wheeled bikes are different, and the conversion will affect their handling in ways that might be fine, or might not be: it's more of a crap shoot.
- loaded xtracycles can suffer from excessive frame and fork flex. frames and forks for 700c wheels tend to be flexier than those for 26" wheels. so again, you're going in a sketchy direction with the bigger wheels.
- as for the marginal rolling resistance penalty of smaller wheels... you want an xtracycle so you can go fast? better to make the xtracycle your bicycle truck, so you can let your other bike(s) be the fast ones that don't need to carry stuff.
Old 11-23-05, 01:44 PM
lala
contrarian

Bikes: 80's ross road bike/commuter, 80's team miyata, 90's haro mtb xtracycle conversion, koga mitaya world traveler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love my xtracycle! It is a mtb conversion. I upgraded to disc brakes. And it makes going to the market a breeze! It's cool, and a party mobile. One can even ferry drunkards home on the back! It's the ultimate.
Old 11-23-05, 01:45 PM
SpokesInMyPoop
Ha Ha! Boss.

Bikes: Univega custom 14sp mixte + Sears 3sp groceryhoggg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've seen more people in my neighborhood with xtracycles lately... I WANT ONE. I dig the pic where the rider is transporting a keg, and the pic where the rider (a DJ perhaps?) has a sound system on his rig. So awesome... and seems very practical.
Old 11-23-05, 02:22 PM
lala
contrarian

Bikes: 80's ross road bike/commuter, 80's team miyata, 90's haro mtb xtracycle conversion, koga mitaya world traveler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I need to teach my dog to ride on the back!
Old 11-25-05, 08:29 PM
tiroleaf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
tfharner does indeed speak the truth. i agree completely. i run 26" wheels for the following reasons: 700's won't accelerate as rapidly to your cruising speed. maintaining that speed and beyond will require more effort in light snow, on hills and weighted. pick one or all three. with an extracycle your by default moving slower. mountain frames are more robust in construction along with the 26" wheels. more variety of rims are avalible-i'm talking holes, width and construction. tires too. you can get anything from a slick to studded. even chains or cleats if you look. i looked and found. no chains or cleats in 700. correct me if i'm mistaken. i run 36 hole 3x front/36 hole 4x rear on both my bikes. rear cogs are the same on both my bikes. i have two sets of wheels for each of my two bikes plus a studded set (nokians). this way i get up, look out the window, listen to the weather and then choose what wheel i need for the day. i'm thinking that since you are in limbo regarding 700c vs. 26" wheels you are thinking of converting a 700 to a 700 extracycle. that's why i posted previously about using road brakes. it's totally possible to use a road bar/brake/shifter combo on a mountain/extracycle frame. i use nitto moustache bars with bar end shifters and road brakes on mine.
Old 12-05-05, 11:20 AM
nathank
cycle-powered

Bikes: '02 Specialized FSR, '03 RM Slayer, '99 Raleigh R700, '97 Norco hartail, '89 Stumpjumper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i ordered my Xtracycle the other day -- 26" in the basic kit (decided to to go for the disc upgrade as i have good v-brakes) that i will put on my Norco hardtail that is my "commuter bike". i'm excited to see how it rides!!
Old 12-05-05, 11:18 PM
Phantom808

Bikes: Bianchi Pista, Xtracycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been needing to pickup some heavy items from Walmart for my home. Things like: a few bookshelves and a footlocker. I've never carried any load quite this heavy on the Xtracycle (which I have named "Gladys" after my aunt) so, I will let you all know how it goes.

I'll wait until after midnight, when traffic is at its lowest level.
Old 12-05-05, 11:21 PM
Phantom808

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Of course, I'll need to make more than one trip, due to the number of heavy items I'll be carrying.

I was going to wimp-out and ask a friend if he would give me some help and load the stuff into the back of his pickup truck. But, living car-free takes a little bit more commitment than that.

Again, I'll tell you how it goes....
Old 12-06-05, 10:17 AM
Redrom
Tossed some weight

Bikes: '96 Specialized Rockhopper, '70's Fixed Fuji, '02 Organic Engines Troika Tandem Trike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I posted a while back with lots of details about my conversion...
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=148506

Not crazy about the new pricing, try to find a used one on eBay. I had never done more repairs on my bike than adjusting breaks when I installed this. It was straight forward, and actually led me to get the confidence to start doing more of my own repairs since...

I may start using it for commuting now that the recumbent I was using has been reclaimed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Dual-Child Bike Seat.jpg (10.0 KB, 88 views)
Old 12-06-05, 10:41 PM
pmseattle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Phantom808
Of course, I'll need to make more than one trip, due to the number of heavy items I'll be carrying.

I was going to wimp-out and ask a friend if he would give me some help and load the stuff into the back of his pickup truck. But, living car-free takes a little bit more commitment than that.

Again, I'll tell you how it goes....
Do you have the Wide Loader attachments ? They help for carrying outsize, heavy stuff. I use two and try to balance the load between left and right when lugging a heavy load.
Old 05-11-08, 02:59 PM
Phantom808

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Been using the Xtracycle quite a bit lately.

The new Jelly's opened on Coral Street and I have a lot of books to sell-off. So, I packed-up a few dozen books and rode over to Jelly's to sell them.

It's been awhile since I last rode it and I normally ride fixed gear, so the gears on the Xtracycle felt a bit strange at first. I got used to it quickly enough and got to Jelly's with no problems. I didn't need my wideloaders, as I didn't have that many books and the wideloaders would be dangerous to ride in heavy traffic with me in danger of getting sideswiped by cars.

I've seen two other Xtracycles on the road in the last couple of months and I'm wondering how many more are out there in Honolulu.
Old 05-11-08, 03:12 PM
cerewa
put our Heads Together

Bikes: a mountain bike with a cargo box on the back and aero bars on the front. an old well-worn dahon folding bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
- as for the marginal rolling resistance penalty of smaller wheels... you want an xtracycle so you can go fast? better to make the xtracycle your bicycle truck, so you can let your other bike(s) be the fast ones that don't need to carry stuff.
If you ride on-road, (and not on cobblestones, and not on road racing tires) smaller wheels may be as efficient or more efficient. Folding bikes with 20 inch wheels work great for speed if you aren't worried about 0.003 seconds of racing advantage.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.