Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Help me to find the right place for me!

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Help me to find the right place for me!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-05, 04:52 PM
rs_woods

Bikes: Trek T80, Trek SU200, Trek SU100, Giant Bowery

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm shopping for a new place to live. I've looked around quite a bit on my own but have noticed that there is no such thing as the perfect city or town. I'm going to throw up a wishlist here and hope you folks will respond to it based on where you live or have lived in the past, how close the list resembles your community and if you like it where you are as far as cycling goes. Here's the list:

Most important:
Bike-friendly roads (wide shoulders, bike paths, etc)
Warm, dry climate
Few or only mild natural disasters

Desired:
Large Spanish-speaking population
Small geographic area
Low crime rate

Does this match where you live? The small Illinois college town I live in now meets these, except for the spanish population and warm climate. New Orleans was pretty close except for the dry bit and low crime rate and natural disaster part and spanish part. Well, maybe it wasn't so close. But cycling there was still great fun. Southwest, I'm looking in your direction.
Old 11-25-05, 06:26 PM
weed eater
Patrick Barber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i'm biased (obviously) but how about small town Oregon, in the willamette valley? like, say, McMInnville? Corvallis? Eugene?

Most agricultural areas in the Northwest have a rapidly growing Latino population--the kids and grandkids of migrant workers who settled here generations ago.

Furthermore, small/medium towns in Oregon are some of the bike-friendliest in the state, according to the BTA (Oregon's bike-advocacy group). I think Corvallis was voted number one in the state last year (by the BTA). McMinnville is a day's ride from Portland. Eugene is connected to Portland/the valley by the Amtrak "Cascades" commuter line. All have housing prices concomitant with the west coast, i.e. high, but good cycling weather year-round.

None of them are dry, though. So maybe that kills it for you. Something to think about...Best of luck to you wherever you go.
Old 11-25-05, 06:45 PM
rs_woods

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by weed eater
i'm biased (obviously) but how about small town Oregon, in the willamette valley? like, say, McMInnville? Corvallis? Eugene?

Most agricultural areas in the Northwest have a rapidly growing Latino population--the kids and grandkids of migrant workers who settled here generations ago.

Furthermore, small/medium towns in Oregon are some of the bike-friendliest in the state, according to the BTA (Oregon's bike-advocacy group). I think Corvallis was voted number one in the state last year (by the BTA). McMinnville is a day's ride from Portland. Eugene is connected to Portland/the valley by the Amtrak "Cascades" commuter line. All have housing prices concomitant with the west coast, i.e. high, but good cycling weather year-round.

None of them are dry, though. So maybe that kills it for you. Something to think about...Best of luck to you wherever you go.
I don't expect you to be unbiased, as a matter of fact, that geocentricity is exactly what I'm looking for. I'm especially looking for small towns as well (sick of the big city), so your list is very helpful and I will be looking into those places. Thanks buddy.
Old 11-25-05, 07:00 PM
weed eater
Patrick Barber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, you're welcome. It must be super hard being forced to figure out where to go with your hometown...gone.

My partner and I relocated recently to Portland after a year of working hard, saving up, and thinking about where to move. We really wanted to live in a small town for a lot of reasons, but decided on Portland because it offers so many urban amenities, yet it doesn't really feel like a big city. You might consider it, especially if you come out this way to visit.
Old 11-25-05, 07:20 PM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
San Diego. Dry, very nice weather about 95% of the time. Large spanish speaking population, obviously, since it's so close to the border. I still think the price of rent is lower than Chicago and the east coast, but you just have to be smart about choosing what neighborhood you live in.

The only con is that if you decided to go to Europe, it will cost you an arm and a leg from being so far away. But if you wanted to go to Asia or Australia or some place in the south pacific, you'll be cool.

Koffee

Old 11-25-05, 07:35 PM
Joe Dog
One Hep Cat

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check (commuter), Lemond Sarthe (sports car), Schwinn fixed gear conversion (for fun)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good biking towns include Madison, WI, Portland, OR and Denver, CO. I've been to all of them and like Madison best, but your Alma Mater will do that to you. Probably more job opportunities in Portland and Denver. The problem with Madison was always that nobody wants to leave, so wages are depressed and housing expensive. Anchorage is nice, but it's not the best biking town I've seen due to the long dark winters.

Good luck!!

Website
Old 11-25-05, 07:48 PM
jamesdenver
jim anchower

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i would pay a visit to denver/boulder/fort collins (my area). denver is a big city, but i just took an out-of-town relative to boulder today and she loved the pedestrians, paths, ped friendly streets, nature or the rockies all around. plenty of people in our area speak spanish, (i'm learning myself)

fort collins is like this too, just not quite as much money in the city, and more small town feel..

what are you doing for work? wouldn't that influence where you live? also fort collins area is much cheaper than denver/boulder.

our climate is dry, great spring/fall, hot summers with occasional quick moving storms. winters are cold, but the dry climate and and sunny most days keeps the day mild.

snow melts quickly here within a day of a storm, not like the east.

oh wait i just found a better place for you to live, DURANGO, Colorado. i've only been there twice, but LOVED it. small college town, so plenty of young folks, mixed in with some tourists. mountains and farmland, great native american history in the four corners area. seems like everyone there bikes around town, great rivers for rafting. it's a bit remote: no interstates nearby, and big airports are in denver and ABQ, (8 and 6 hours away), but that's part of the draw -- i've always loved the four corners area, especially durango.

cheers and good like - message me if you have any Denver questions - i live downtown and bike everywhere, and know a great realtor too
Old 11-25-05, 08:22 PM
jamesdenver
jim anchower

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hey me again, king of the two in a row postings. i didn't see alternative transport on your list, but since it's in the car free forum thought i'd mention i think denver's public transport (RTD) system is excellent. we have good local bus service, and express and regional routes that run weekdays, and some all days (boulder's B service is good example) there's light rail to the SW suburbs, and next december a light rail line opens along I-25 to the SE suburbs, connection downtown and tech center. also over the next 15 years new rail lines will be built to all areas, including the remote and isolated airport. i'm glad this passed the vote, and i believe it will give denver rail service on par with chicago and san fran..

https://www.rtd-denver.com/fastracks/

anyway just a few more cents wish you the best with your location search, curious what type of work you do? is that a factor? i second your taking to the southwest (even tho denver's on the eastern fringe of that). new mexico, arizona and colorado are affordable states with great outdoor lifestyles and lots of sun. you'll have to get use to driving a day or two to get to other cities, but there's plenty to see along the way, and tons of open space outside of the big cities

all the best!
Old 11-25-05, 08:23 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I would vote for San Diego. Seems to fit your bill almost perfectly. It is quite a bit larger than New Orleans, though.

How come you decided not to move back to NO? I've talked to 3 evacuees here in Lansing, MI. They all told me that Lansing is much nicer than N.O. before Katrina, and there's no way they're moving back. I said, welcome, I'm glad you're here. All 3 are black, and I've heard that a disproportionate number of African Americans have decided not to go back.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 11-25-05, 09:29 PM
rs_woods

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey James. I looked at Boulder, but Colorado sounded rather... cold. Is it? I have a very strong aversion to snow or sub-freezing temperature. I've been doing factory work here in DeKalb and I like it lots, so if there are any factories (especially major company factories like Target or Nestle or something) that is a big plus. Ive been living in DeKalb for a couple months now and haven't been to Chicago, nor do I have any desire to go there. So proximity to large, major cities isnt a factor, except that the more distance the better. I'll definitely look into Fort Collins and Durango, though.

I looked at San Diego, but it's another big city and with that comes the crime and pollution that I just got out of. Besides that, and most importantly, its in southern California and I dont want to chance it with any more natural disasters.

I have ruled out moving back to N.O. New Orleans was a terrible place to live before the storm. Besides that, hurricane seasons are expected to be severe like this for quite a while. Every other city I've been to has been more desirable than New Orleans in every aspect, and it doesn't matter what your race is. New Orleans was 70% African American before the storm, so if a disproportionate number of African Americans have decided not to go back, it's probably perfectly proportionate to the former population of the city. Good sense doesn't have a skin color.
Old 11-25-05, 09:32 PM

Hmmmmm... have you tried Arizona? Nice hot weather year round, and very few natural disasters (from what I remember). Plus, the price of land and cost of living is low.

Koffee

Old 11-25-05, 11:01 PM
attercoppe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You actually asked jamesdenver if Colorado was as cold as it seems, but I'll chime in here. I was born and raised in Missouri, almost as far north as Dekalb is, then lived in St Louis for the last four years or so and now I'm (finally!) in Colorado. Yes, Colorado can get cold, especially if you're at a higher elevation (for instance, I'm at 8000 feet, where Denver is about 5200 - "The Mile High City"). But as james mentioned, summers are warm to hot, and fall and spring are great. The key thing to remember about the cold weather, just as with warm weather, is the humidity. Just as the higher humidity where you are now makes summers there sticky, muggy, and blah, the low humidity here makes summers pleasantly warm without leaving one sweaty all the time for no good reason. And the higher humidity in the winter there makes the cold bite, where here it gets chilly but not as bone-freezing. Besides elevation being a factor, location within the state is as well. I don't know stats on Denver/Boulder etc, but where I am the official count is (I believe) 360 days a year of sunshine. We're in the so-called "banana belt." The other day it was 70 degrees F here, and the next day it was about 65. And by the other day, I mean earlier this week. In late November. I'm still wearing shorts to walk to work. And remember, it's only going to get nicer, what with global warming and all.

All that being said, Colorado still may not be for you. If you want to check it out, come out while it's still winter - you can crash at my place if you like.
Old 11-26-05, 12:03 AM
jamesdenver
jim anchower

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rs_woods
Hey James. I looked at Boulder, but Colorado sounded rather... cold. Is it? I have a very strong aversion to snow or sub-freezing temperature. I've been doing factory work here in DeKalb and I like it lots, so if there are any factories (especially major company factories like Target or Nestle or something) that is a big plus. Ive been living in DeKalb for a couple months now and haven't been to Chicago, nor do I have any desire to go there. So proximity to large, major cities isnt a factor, except that the more distance the better. I'll definitely look into Fort Collins and Durango, though.
i grew up in michigan, so Colorado is balmy compared to my home, but you're right it's not Florida in the winter. BVCO is right, it'll be 60s one week, 20s and cold the next, then 50 - the key thing is the sun, there's lots of it in the day, and to be honest it's cold at night, but overall it's much milder than "east coast cold" (no offense).

i would rule out Denver/Boulder, as it is a big city, and fort collins is growing too, lots of development so you may not prefer that, (although people do smart growth as best they can and still please the developers that want acres of housing), but fort collins and denver are blending together fast - and even though are cold season isn't bad it is still cold at times.

i just thought of another one - (i actually like thinking of geography, climate, etc so this is fun). i know Cedar City / St George Utah draws a lot of people. I've driven thru a few times and seen large companies like Wal Mart shipping hubs, and other big low buildings out that way, and it's still a small town, as long as you don't mind being near an interstate (I-15). Very warm/hot climate too. Vegas is an easy 100 miles for an airport or weekend getaway.

If i was in your shoes - small town, don't mind being remote, i'd look from Albuquerque and sweep across Arizona. The only negative thing i can think some of is that the best cities, Sante Fe, Flagstaff, or Moab, which are the best bike towns, also are mostly tourist and arts oriented. Cities like Farmington NM might have more jobs, but they tend to be less pedestrian bike friendly, less green space, etc. Thinking about all the small towns this way I've been through I've seen the "truck stop" type towns, and towns that we would prefer - and there's definetely a difference, but i'm sure many places have both. i loved Flagstaff when i visited once, and warmer than my neck of the woods - maybe others can advise on northern arizona area.

I'd still look in Four Corners area and move southwest. It's a beautiful part of the country, and i'm sure that's the climate you're looking for, and natural disasters aren't an issue.

Plus you'll love the non-humid climate - it's a 180 degree change from the southeast/Florida heat.

anyway hope i'm helping - all the best!
Old 11-26-05, 12:11 AM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by rs_woods

Most important:
Bike-friendly roads (wide shoulders, bike paths, etc)
Warm, dry climate
Few or only mild natural disasters

Desired:
Large Spanish-speaking population
Small geographic area
Low crime rate
Have you checked out the Coachella Valley, Palm Springs to Coachella. An area about 40 miles by 15. Nestled at close to sea level but surrounded by mountains as high as 10,000 feet. As for warmth, no place in the U.S. is better. The view is striking. The streets are new. The roads generally pretty flat and usually room for bikes. If you want hills, one road goes up 4,500 feet in 10 miles and there are others on the perimeter of the valley. The Tour De Palm Springs is one of bigger bike events in Southern California and there are 3 good bike stores and several clubs.

It's only weak spot on your list is earthquakes. But having been harmlessly through a number of big ones, the basic construction of buildings tends to minimize any damage. There is no place immune to natural disasters. But the Coachella Valley is as close to hurricane proof as you get. A hurricane can't deal with 10,000 foot mountains.

Crime rate, it depends on which part of the valley. Some parts have a high rate, some have a low rate. It contains both rich and poor. Bill Gates has a house there.

Overall it's 65% hispanic. The City of Coachella conducts all official business in Spanish.
Old 11-26-05, 12:38 PM
nathank
cycle-powered

Bikes: '02 Specialized FSR, '03 RM Slayer, '99 Raleigh R700, '97 Norco hartail, '89 Stumpjumper

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
no one has mentioned Tucson -- maybe TOO hot but otherwise i think it meets most of the criteria --- it's small enough to still be relatively bike friendly although i would not rate it as overly bike-friendly. i was there last June also on a search for "potential" place to live...

as James has mentioned the main question in the Southwest is employment. there are a ton a rellay cool towns like Moab, Sedona and Flagstaff, but there is not a whole lot of work as they're heavily tourist-based. i found Flagstaff particularly awesome - although the winters are actually (surprizingly) actually colder than Denver/Boulder... (although as already mentioned it is dry and often sunny which is different than humid cold) --- oh wait, i just remebered that i also found Prescot AZ ok -- small and quaint and thus seemed good for biking except there is (as everywhere) growing surburbia on the edges. i think compared to other places in the area it is more "conservative".

i thought Alberquerque was ok... but it meets most of your criteria (maybe a little big and a litte few bike amenities)

otherwise... San Antonio and Austin TX meet a lot of your requirements, but they're pretty big and also not overly bike-friendly, but ... or you could look at some of the smaller towns -- say San Marcos TX which is between the two. (my parents live in New Braunfels which also has some draw but work is pretty limited - i.e. most people drive a long way to San Antonio or Austin to work

Durango is cool but jobs are few and the cost of living is high... and it's not exactly warm...

Boulder is an awesome plcae although from your description i would not see as the ideal (the Hispanic influence is not so great)... Fort Collins is maybe worth looking at (i found it to have a nice laid-back feel with less of the "ritz" of Boulder/Denver) and otherwise i don't know so much about the smaller towns in CO.
Old 11-26-05, 01:00 PM

Hey, what am I? Chopped liver? I said Arizona!

New Mexico would be nice too. If I could go to school there, I'd move out there yesterday.

Koffee

Old 11-26-05, 01:37 PM
jamesdenver
jim anchower

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you did say arizona

hey maybe we could all move to the same place and start a commune - and grow vegetables and trade services and bike parts with each other.
Old 11-26-05, 02:26 PM

I've seen it happen before, and they seem to be very profitable. But let's do it in DC.

Koffee

Old 11-26-05, 02:46 PM
lala
contrarian

Bikes: 80's ross road bike/commuter, 80's team miyata, 90's haro mtb xtracycle conversion, koga mitaya world traveler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm up for a colorado one!
Old 11-26-05, 02:57 PM
overthere
fredelicious mini-masher

Bikes: Specialized Ruby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Davis, CA fits ALL of your list.

We got the League of American Bicyclists' first ever Platinum Level Bicycle Friendly Community Award for our bicycle-centric town.

It's the norm for cars to swing wide around you when you get to lanes just out of town: of course in town we have wide, clean bike lanes. I love seeing families out riding in town, besides friendly roadies, students and communters. No snow, short winter, it's still sunny and in the 60's today in late November. Sure it gets HOT in the summer, but we get cool evenings from the delta breeze, and if you want to ride, go early in the morning. No earthquakes in the Central Valley, mostly rain and fog. Once in a while we have tiny tornadoes that get a lot of news coverage, because they (!) may have touched down for a few seconds and took out a fence or something.

We're only about 5 miles from one end of town to the other. We have an Amtrak station, and the Capital Corridor route takes bikes, and goes from Auburn to the East Bay/Martinez (not too many miles from Mt. Diablo for a good climb) Large Spanish speaking population, and VERY low crime rate (except for bicycle theft....grrr)

We have a great Farmer's Market, and bike racks on every block downtown. We have 4 bike shops in our small downtown, and a very active bike club.
Old 11-26-05, 03:34 PM
weed eater
Patrick Barber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Keep in mind that if we could all agree on a place to live for our commune, we'd . . . already be living there.

rs_woods, having read down this list I have to say that Colorado sounds like an interesting option for you. I grew up there and, obviously, did not move back, but on a visit there last summer I was struck by how many cities and small towns had various bike amenities; and, also, how many bikes I saw on the road. A lot of the mountain towns have big tourist populations, so the pedestrian and bicycle amenities have been built around them, but of course they're useful for the denizens as well. You might check into Buena Vista, Salida, Glenwood, or further east, there's medium-sized cities like Longmont.

Also, I know that Fort Collins has a good bike community (and a wind-powered brewery named after a bike--Fat Tire) and it may be a really good option for you.
Old 11-26-05, 05:45 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I like my cities "real" and maybe a little gritty or edgy. I think Albbequerque would be cool, except that it's real hard to spell. I haven't been there in a long time, but I remember that it was flat but surrounded by mountains, and it didn't have the artsy-fartsy atmosphere of taos or Santa Fe. Not that there's anything wrong with that! There were some real interesting people that I met there.

Somebody mentioned the smaller cities in Oregon. Eugene was great if you do like the artsy scene. I stayed in a commune there that was just like the 60's. Pretty fun. I never spent time in eastern Washington or Montana, but college towns there might be nice, Spokane, Pullman, Bozeman, etc. They're still pretty much off the beaten path.

Isn't the internet the greatest thing ever when you're trying to find a new place to live?

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 11-26-05, 05:45 PM
weed eater
Patrick Barber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i keep forgetting to mention this handy tool:

https://www.epodunk.com/

good for research.
Old 11-26-05, 07:43 PM
attercoppe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by weed eater
You might check into Buena Vista, Salida, Glenwood, or further east

Hey, that's where I am! Pretty bike friendly, as is nearby Salida.
Old 11-27-05, 01:09 AM
jamesdenver
jim anchower

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by attercoppe
Hey, that's where I am! Pretty bike friendly, as is nearby Salida.
remember these places do get COLD in the winter!! as much as we love colorado (and i LOVE the 284 colorado, beuna vista and glenwood are great towns), they do have their cold days, (even tho it's mild to us)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.