Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Hi from Arizona

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-03, 01:51 PM
Philberto

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi from Arizona

Just recently found my way here and thought I would say hi. Born and raised in New Mexico, happily surviving in Arizona. Old enough to buy myself the toys now (kids are grown and can buy their own stuff) and equipped enough to build 'em and keep 'em humming.
Old 02-18-03, 05:03 PM
Philberto

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Guess I'll add a bit more in hopes of finding some like-minded people somewhere here on the forum. I'm a computer teacher living in Chandler, AZ. My stepson is a triathlete and has been a major influence in rekindling my love of bikes. After watching him in a meet last year, I bought a road bike and proceeded to lose 25 lbs between May and October. Between me and my wife, we now own 6 bikes and I am a daily commuter. Being a computer hardware junkie and having ridden motorcycles for 20 years, I also love the bike parts and have assembled a humble but potent set of bicycle tools, allowing me to do my own work. Wheelbulding is next on my list! Although bike hardware is fun, I've been reminded (and it's true) that it's not the bike so much as it is the engine. Just Ride.
Old 02-18-03, 06:45 PM
bikeman
Lovin' my Fixie

Bikes: Litespeed Classic, C-Dale MT1000, 80's Trek 770, 2005 Raleigh Rush Hour Pro, Fixed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome Philberto,

I imagine the weather at this time of year is just about perfect for riding in AZ. It is still freezing and lots of snow on the ground here in the midwest. What do you do about riding in the intense summer heat? Just go out early or late or bear with it and ride anyway?

I've been to AZ 3-4 times and almost moved there about 12 years ago. My spouse has a 1st cousin that has lived there for 15 years and will never move back to the cold and grey. I often wonder about the reversed seasons that you deal with. We are captive to the winters and it seems that Phoenix residents would have to stay out of the heat in the summer.

Do you mountain bike or just road? I'm mostly a roadie myself, but get out now and again with my grown sons for a spin in the dirt.

Enjoy the rest of your "winter". I personally can't wait for spring in Ohio. Just hope it doesn't rain all during the month of March
Old 02-18-03, 08:39 PM
Philberto

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, Bikeman.

You're right. Now is the ideal time to ride here. We've had an exceptionally nice winter (which scares me when I think of summer coming very soon). In the summer, I get out the door as soon as there is enough light and try to make it back before 10 or so. One tends to adapt to the heat, and I don't mind relatively short distances as long as I carry enough water. It is not my idea of fun to have to travel in 110 degrees though. Desert creatures become nocturnal. Our commuters are set up with good lighting systems and my wife and I enjoy some wonderful rides when the sun goes down.

I mostly keep it on the road, but enjoy a romp through the dirt. We're not far from Tucson, and I ride with friends through some nice trails in the Tucson and Catalina Mountains. It's a whole different world in the dirt. I've found that falling in prickly pear is softer than falling in cholla.

May spring come early to you and Ohio!

Philberto
Old 02-18-03, 08:48 PM
ParamountScapin 

Bikes: '87 Paramount & '02 Scapin EOS3

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Prickly pear!! Cholla!! Ouch! Worst we have are roots and the occasional rock. But the chiggers I fell into three summers ago and didn't know were there were the worst. Talk about itch for a week. Must have had fifty bites between the bottom of my shorts and the tops of my sox. Including a few on my torso, arms and neck. Thank you bike-gods for having me wear my road shorts on this MTB ride. Kept the little buggers away from an even more uncomfortable area of my body. But I digress. Welcome aboard. Enjoy!
Old 02-19-03, 07:27 AM
Philberto

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've heard of chiggers but never had the "pleasure". Sounds more fun than sitting in an ant pile. Thanks for the welcome.
Old 02-19-03, 07:15 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Welcome from Colorado.

My wife and I have been to Tucson a couple of times, and like to ride in Saguaro National Park East and more.

My sis lives in Ruidoso, NM.

You need to come to the Colorado mtns in the summer!!