Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How many bikes do you have and why?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-03, 10:20 AM
Szpirit

Bikes: 2002 Devinci Caribou

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

After reading several posts, I've noticed that a lot of people have and use more than one bicycle. If you have more than one, do you really make use of all of them?

I have a 2 1/2 year old Cannondale H300 hybrid which I like a lot but was hoping to perhaps do some touring and also wanted the drop handlebars, etc, etc. so I have just bought a Devinci Caribou touring bike. I was planning to sell the Cannondale but am now wondering whether I should keep it. Will the bike be worth more to me than what little I met get from its sale?

Any opinions?
Old 03-25-03, 10:31 AM
MichaelW

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
If you have a valuable play bike, it is always useful to have something a little less chichi to ride around town, for winter training etc.
My 3 bikes are all touring/sports style, I have my 1970s 5speed, kept for sentimental reasons, a nice custom touring bike, and my everyday commuter bike. Im also considering adding to the herd: a folding bike for rail travel, and either a lightweight road bike or a CX mountain bike.
Old 03-25-03, 11:10 AM
stumpjumper
Lagomorph Demonicus

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have (I beleive) 16 or so functioning bikes. Why, you ask? Cause I like bikes! I have vintage lightweights, hardtails, a dualie, commuter, urban singlespeed, vintage 3-speeds, touring bikes... I think I have at least one of everything except a 'bent or a 20" folder. Give me time.... I'm sure one of each will turn up in the garage eventually.

Hmm... this is making me think. I need to look into photos of each bike, both for insurance purposes and maybe to put up on a website for fun along with history, etc...
Old 03-25-03, 11:20 AM
Rich Clark
A Heart Needs a Home

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have three bikes. My Novara Randonee is my foul-weather commuter (touring bike with fenders and front panniers). My Airborne Carpe Diem is my all-around bike (a ti light-touring bike for commuting in nice weather; all-day country rides, etc.). My Fuji Roubaix Pro is for hard workouts. I didn't really need that one, but it's just fun to have a really light road bike that's built for nothing but speed, and I got it cheap.

I think just about anyone who relies on bikes for transportation would agree that you need at least two, so you always have one ready to ride.

RichC
Old 03-25-03, 11:26 AM
bradw
Slow and unsteady

Bikes: Bacchetta Agio, Bacchetta Giro 20, Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I briefly had 4 bikes.

A hybrid/comfort bike. A 1988 MTB. A new MTB and a new road bike. The most expensive bike was about $600.

I sold the hybrid because while it was an OK bike I wanted a little more performance. The '88 MTB was to be used for a commuter but I found I really didn't like the feel of it. The new MTB is the commuter and trail bike because it has the best fit of any bike I've ever had. And the road bike, well, it just goes faster and the fit ain't too bad.

So now I have 2 bikes. My son is using the old MTB as a road cruiser and a new MTB as a trail bike.
Old 03-25-03, 11:36 AM
nathank
cycle-powered

Bikes: '02 Specialized FSR, '03 RM Slayer, '99 Raleigh R700, '97 Norco hartail, '89 Stumpjumper

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i currently have 4 bikes:
road bike ('98 Raleigh R700)
full suspension ('02 Specialized FSR XC) - for trails only
hardtail ('98 Norco Torrent) - commuter, touring bike and winter trail bike
rigid ('89 Specialized Stumpjumper) - city bike

i use all of them. the hardtail and full suspension each over 2000 miles last year. the road bike gets the

least frequent use, but when i do do long road rides or the occaisonal triathlon or whatever i use it.

the city bike doesn't get many miles but i ride it maybe 3-4 times a month

it's alwasy good to have more than one bike if one has to be repaired. and an expensive bike isn't the best

for cummuting in the city.

as an adult i have never sold a bike -- my college road bike was stolen -- and i have been very glad i

kept all of them. the city bike i could have sold for mabye $150 way back when and i've gotten plenty of use

out of it. the old hardtail i could have maybe sold for $400 (probably less) so it was definitely worth it

to keep it as a commuter and winter bike. it's nice to have a trail bike that i can get all dirty and then

get up for work the next day and the commuter is there all ready without the abuse of recreational riding

(ok, in winter this isn't true as i don't subject my fully to the salt and wet of winter)

you just can't sell older used bikes for a whole lot, yet they will funtion for years and years to come (my

'89 rigid was "retired" as a mountain bike in '97 and hasn't cost me a penny other than tubes and lights and

fenders and stuff)

i guess it depends on how much you ride (i rode about 10,000km and 65,000meters vertical in 2002) but for me

i really use all of my 4 bikes...

i think it's definitely a good idea to have at least 2...
Old 03-25-03, 11:44 AM
bikeman
Lovin' my Fixie

Bikes: Litespeed Classic, C-Dale MT1000, 80's Trek 770, 2005 Raleigh Rush Hour Pro, Fixed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Keep the second older bike. Always good to have a beater to ride in lousy weather or just to cruise around on and not worry about trashing your new wheels. You'll never get back a decent price on selling a used bike. Better to hand it down, donate it, give it to a good friend or a youngster or as I said use it as a backup.

I have:

Litespeed Classic - 5 years old. Best bike I've ever owned Still a beauty.

Trek 770 Steel bike - classic steel bike from early 80's converted from a road gruppo to single speed for training and commuting on flat terrain.

Cannondale mountain bike. Use for dirt riding and switching to slicks is then used for commuting and general purpose riding and foul weather rides.

Cannondale Tandem MT1000 upgraded extensively with lighter stronger wheelset and hydraulic (Magura) brakes. Used with the spouse and teenage daughter. Family time together is always nice for a change.

Eventually I'd like to get a bike set up for long-distance travel with slacker angles, more braze-ons, and longer wheelbase. That will complete my collection since I'd be out of room in the garage.

Enjoy your bikes.
Old 03-25-03, 11:54 AM
UncaStuart
Sophomoric Member

Bikes: Trek 5000, Novara Randonee, Meridian Cascade

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you've got the room, keep it. Always nice to have a backup.

I've got three bikes currently. Like Rich Clark I have a Novara Randonee. It gets the nod for solo commuting, errand running, and light touring. I also have a Trek 5000 road bike--it's my weekend sportster for attacking the mountain roads or for centuries and the like. The third bike is a Meridian Cascade tandem, and it is used for all of the above: commuting, errand running, weekend rides and centuries.

If I had room, I'd have a half-dozen more.
Old 03-25-03, 11:55 AM
stumpjumper
Lagomorph Demonicus

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
rigid ('89 Specialized Stumpjumper) - city bike
Hey Nathank! Do you have a pic of the stumpy? My urban ss is (supposedly - repainted) an '89 SJ frame. I'd be very interested to see what yours looks like
Old 03-25-03, 12:02 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,329 Times in 837 Posts
Since there used to be four BB diameter/thread standards, I thought I should own one specimen of each ...

Actually, I have 5 bicycles, covering 5 somewhat overlapping functions:

transportation, commuting, light touring: 1959 Capo "Modell Campagnolo" and 1980 Peugeot "PKN-10 Competition"

as above, plus smooth multitrack trails: 1972 Peugeot "UO-8" with knobby cyclecross tyres

as above, plus general offroad: 1988 Schwinn "Project KOM-10"

fun solo and club rides: 1982 Bianchi "Campione d'Italia"
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 03-25-03, 12:07 PM
ZackJones
On Your Right

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have two complete bikes and a project bike I just started on.

Bike #1 - 2003 K2 Mach 2.0. This is the primary bike I ride now.

Bike #2 - Pacific MTB - This is one of those 58 pound Wal-Mart specials. I may have ridden it a grand total of 10 miles.

Bike #3 - 80's Nishiki time trial bike. I picked up the frame from Ebay not log ago and will be building a time trial bike out of it. I thought the bike was cool when I first saw it in the 80's and have always wanted one. Once it's built I will do some time trials with it.

Zack
Old 03-25-03, 12:43 PM
Tree Trunk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think I could get by without three bikes, although until this past weekend I only had two. My three bikes are as follows:

1. '92 Univega Via Montega hybrid (Shimano LX/Deore components)
2. Trek 2300 road (Ultregra STI, carbon/aluminum frame, Spinergy Rev X wheels)
3. Trek 920 mountain bike (fitted with old suspension fork, XTR components) -- my "new" bike

The hybrid was my first bike. It still is my commuter and bike trail bike. I bought it originally because my first love was riding the Prairie Path in the Chicago area. I prefer the hybrid because it's a comfortable bike and better for hardpack trails. It's much better for commuting than a road bike or mtn bike. It's also the bike I learned my wrenching skills on (if you can call what I have "skills"!!!!).

The other two bikes are my play bikes. I have the road bike for rides with my hammerhead friends, club rides, and for road tours. The mountain bike is for the occasional off road ride and for riding around the block with my kids.

Bikes are wonderful!!!!
Old 03-25-03, 12:46 PM
Brennan

Bikes: Surly X√, Trek Earl

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
For me, three bikes is perfect: One good mountain bike, one good road bike, and one beater townie bike. Together, they give me the flexibility to take on just about any type of riding situation.
Old 03-25-03, 01:20 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I have two:

1) Trek 5200 roadie. My dream bike. Impossible to ride slow. Since the weather's gotten nice I've been meeting up with a guy from my building and we knock out a fast 30 miles on the American River bike path before work.

2) Novara Triomfo roadie. My first "real" bike. I used it for riding around town, some sprint triathlons, and now it's primarily for commuting. It's got a great aluminum frame with carbon forks and seatstays but pretty crappy components. I'm thinking of upgrading the gruppo and wheels, putting on an integrated aerobar, and using it as a dedicated tri bike.

I'd like to get a good mountain bike too. Nothing fancy, just a solid hardtail for riding around Tahoe. I could put slicks on it and use it as a commuter too. (Uh oh! I think I may have already spent my tax refund in my mind....)
Old 03-25-03, 02:00 PM
Anders K
To infinity and beyond

Bikes: Cannondale M600, Crescent 92318, Bianchi Lo Spillone (tandem)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would love having more then one bike, but unfortunatlry me and my family are living in a apartment with three rooms. I have my one bike in me and my wifes bedroom and she is not complaining. But two bikes in our bedroom woud be to challenge her good will

I would really like one or two, maybe three or so, more bikes
Old 03-25-03, 02:06 PM
RainmanP
Mr. Cellophane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
5 bikes

2000 Giant Cypress aluminum comfort hybrid converted to road configuration, heavy duty commuter/tourer 9sp 105 STI triple, fenders, rack, etc. Currently on long term loan.

Mid-80s Bianchi Brava cro-mo road bike 9 sp Dura Ace triple STI w/double 48/34 front, 14/28 rear.

Lightweight cro-mo Tange frame self-assembled 9 sp DA double 52/39 front, 14/25 rear.

Early '80s Schwinn Voyageur touring bike set up as single speed freewheel commuter 48/18.

'70s era Trek set up as fixed gear 39/17 commuter.

Why?

Why not?

Keep the hybrid. You always need a spare!
Old 03-25-03, 02:18 PM
bfong

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trek 5200 Oclv road bike
Trek 9.8 elite Oclv hardtail
Specialized Stumpjumper FSR full suspension
Specialized S-works road bike triple
Specialized S-works hardtail mountain bike

Yes I have the sickness

Bill F.
Old 03-25-03, 02:34 PM
Bikedud
Sapient

Bikes: Just a bunch of bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
I currently own seven of the eight bikes I have purchased (dating to 1986) over the years. I gave one to my brother. Plus I have accumulated three in a addition, by default.

I don't avoid selling them. I am just too lazy to put forth the effort needed. I do ride five of them somewhat regularly.

1986 Specialized Allez SE
1987 Ross Centaur
1991 Fat Chance Wicked
1994 Giant ? Cross bike
1995 Cannondale Tandem
1998 Trek 930
1999 Lemond Zurich

My basement and garage would certainly appreciate an inventory reduction sale, but who wants to have to deal with that hassle.
Old 03-25-03, 02:49 PM
georgesnatcher
newbie newbie

Bikes: Titanium Indy Fab 29" mtb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have two bikes. The first is a Independent Fabrication MTB with 29" wheels. This was my main bike for both on and off road till I got my Trek 5200. Now the IF is only used off road and the Trek is strictly road. I also had a Trek MTB but gave it to my step-son so my wife would'nt kill me when I got the 5200. I wish I could have more and differant types but it would probably mean a divorce.
Old 03-25-03, 03:27 PM
brad

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only reason I ever get rid of an old ride is if I need some funding for a new one. Otherwise I keep them.

Co-Motion Speedster
Balance 850 pro
Giant NRS1
Specialized Allez sport
Specialized Allez pro
K2 zed
K2 Sesh
Old 03-25-03, 03:34 PM
Chris L
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Two. Only one of which I can currently ride. I'm going to fix the other one up and use it as a commuter.

That is all.
Old 03-25-03, 04:47 PM
jatkins679

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Me gots three bikes:

Specialized Allez roadie. Got it for $400 with some great Mavic Cosmos rims though an ad on Craigslist (https://www.craigslist.org). Had it for about 10 months so far and have put close to 7000 miles on it.

Biachi Nyala cheapo mountain bike. I bought the thing while in grad school at the University of Alaska Fairbanks in 1996 and have gotten every bit of money I paid for it out of it. I should buy a new mtn bike (as my friends are always suggesting). But there's too much sentimental value in it. I've put something like 10,000 miles on it by now.

An old Schwin beach cruiser that I found as a freebie. Just fixed it up and now use it as my cruise-to-the-local-7/11 for one of these:

Ridin' on all eight cylinders...
Old 03-25-03, 04:50 PM
MediaCreations 
Marathon Cyclist

Bikes: Road Bike / Mountain Bike

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Two bikes.

I have a mountain bike and a road bike.

I do a fair bit of long distance stuff on my road bike and I also use it to commute, but there are also times that I need something that'll handle rougher roads, which is when I use the mountain bike.
Old 03-25-03, 05:12 PM
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have two bikes:[list=1][*]1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS - With slicks it's my daily commuter / road ride bike. With knobbies it's my backup trail bike[*]2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR - Beefed up with a better fork & wheelset than the stockers and with the addition of disc brakes it's my primary off-road trail bike.[/list=1]
You can NEVER go wrong having an extra bike. Heck take a buddy with you on a ride.
Old 03-25-03, 05:13 PM
Phatman

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 51 Posts
I have three: a beater huffy, a new SWEET lemond Alpe d'huez, and an older bianchi that I an going to convert to a newer campy triple.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.