Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Buying Shaving Products

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Buying Shaving Products

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-03, 09:30 AM
pletcgm

Bikes: 2002 Giant OCR 3, 2003 Giant OCR Elite, 2004 Giant TCR, 2004 Giant OCR Touring, 2003 Giant Iguana, 2004 Cannondale Ironman 800, 2005 Giant Trance 3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Buying Shaving Products

This may sound like a dumb question, but here it goes. For the ones of you that shave your legs (Referring to guys), how do you all buy your shaving products and what brands do you use? When I walk into a drug store and buy Nare for Men, people will really look at me funny. When I buy the Gillette Venus razors, people don't even think twice because they think that I am buying it for my wife or girlfriend.

Does anyone else run into this situation?
Old 05-16-03, 09:42 AM
djpluv
Climbin' Fool

Bikes: 2004 Bianchi EV4 and a 2005 Trek 8000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tried the female shave products before...my legs sure did smell good...I could care less what anyone thinks in the store, but usually some are smart enough to put 2 and 2 together when they see me checking out with my Bicycling mag, as well ;-) Now, I just buy the Mach 3 Turbo Blades and the Gillette Moisturizing Shave Gel...Lather up, and have at it!

I tried that Nair for Men once...smells horrible...shoot, even my dog wouldn't come up next to me afterwards. This season I ended up using clippers to trim the long hair, then hit it with the razor.

Paul
Old 05-16-03, 11:14 AM
Kev

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use the mach 3 razor to, it seems to work the best. I've used cheaper razors in the past, they only last 1-2 shaves and I have to replace them. While the mach 3 will last atleast 7-8 so they are more expensive initialy but in the long run I save money. As for shaving gel I just use SuperMax low foam shaving gel. Not many places carry it but seems to work well for me atleast.
Old 05-16-03, 01:39 PM
velocipedio
human

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Teramo, 2000 Marinoni Leggero, 2001 Kona Major Jake (with Campy Centaur), 1997 Specialized S-Works M2, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i don't have a problem. i use hair conditioner instead of foam or gel, and i use exactly the same kind of razor on my legs as i do on my face. the mens and womens razors are identical, just packaged differently.

The Irregular Cycling Club of Montreal
Cycling irregularly since 2002
Old 05-16-03, 02:42 PM
crucifixion12

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use and electric razor most of the time. It's a more expensive initial investment, but in the long run, it saves money if you're going to use stuff like Mach 3 anyway.
Old 05-16-03, 09:45 PM
Duffy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
O.k. I know we have gone here before,but here goes. Why do men want to shave their legs? Is the benefit that great? I would assume all or most people on this forum ride for the fun of it. Do you shave to feel like you are a professional? Not being a smartass,just don't understand. Is one not totally accepted into the bicycle community unless they shave?
Old 05-16-03, 10:21 PM
crucifixion12

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I shave for several reasons:

1) Easier to clean
2) Easier to thoroughly clean and bandage wounds should I get any
3)Much easier to check body for ticks after being in the forest if I have no hair
4)My legs don't get itchy after wearing socks all day anymore
5) The GIRLS actually comment on them! One girl told me she thought "boys have prettier legs when they shave them."
6)I like the way my legs look shaved

and my newest reason for shaving my legs:
7) I think it's a lot easier to apply an even coat of sunscreen without fooling with the hair
Old 05-16-03, 10:42 PM
fubar5
0^0

Bikes: Redline Monocog,Surly Crosscheck, Lemond Reno

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey man, do it with pride. I usually pick up silk skin shaving cream, womens razors, nare for women, Jergens shave reducing moisterizer...Just live it up!! They are only people!!!
Old 05-16-03, 10:42 PM
Joe Gardner
BikeForums Founder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When riding in a pack of cyclists, I avoid riding next or behind the fuzzy guy. Shaved legs show some experience in cycling, and that usually goes hand in hand with good bike handling skills.
Old 05-17-03, 07:07 AM
velocipedio
human

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Teramo, 2000 Marinoni Leggero, 2001 Kona Major Jake (with Campy Centaur), 1997 Specialized S-Works M2, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
my reasons:
[list=1][*]safety. road rash on a shaved leg stays cleaner.[*]convenience. adhesive bandages come off without the ouch.[*]sunscreen. joe said it.[*]tradition. the cannibal shaved. big mig shaved. il campionissimo shaved. i shave.[*]looks. my legs look great.[/list=1]

The Irregular Cycling Club of Montreal
Cycling irregularly since 2002
Old 05-19-03, 09:26 AM
pletcgm

Bikes: 2002 Giant OCR 3, 2003 Giant OCR Elite, 2004 Giant TCR, 2004 Giant OCR Touring, 2003 Giant Iguana, 2004 Cannondale Ironman 800, 2005 Giant Trance 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by Duffy
O.k. I know we have gone here before,but here goes. Why do men want to shave their legs? Is the benefit that great? I would assume all or most people on this forum ride for the fun of it. Do you shave to feel like you are a professional? Not being a smartass,just don't understand. Is one not totally accepted into the bicycle community unless they shave?
I shave my legs because of the possibility of road rash.

P.S. I see girls staring at my legs quite often. I had one to come up to me the other night and tell me that I have really cute legs. That makes it even more advantageous to shave my legs!!!
Old 05-19-03, 01:51 PM
nikos

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why dont mountain bike riders shave. I have gotten into mountain biking in the last year, and there are many times that I go down due to very difficult trails. Its seems the chances of going down would be much higher as a mountain bike rider?
Old 05-19-03, 01:56 PM
Waldo
Zippy Engineer

Bikes: Bianchi 928, Bianchi Pista Concept 2004, Surly Steamroller, 1998 Schwinn Factory Team Homegrown, 1999 Schwinn Homegrown Factory, 2000 Schwinn Panther, Niner EMD9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dunno why more mountain bikers don't shave...some of my buddies do and have had occasion to appreciate the beauty of cleaning up shaved legs. I just started shaving and then did a number on my leg-I still got a nasty scar but it was so easy to clean I'm a convert for life.
Old 05-19-03, 02:15 PM
bikeman
Lovin' my Fixie

Bikes: Litespeed Classic, C-Dale MT1000, 80's Trek 770, 2005 Raleigh Rush Hour Pro, Fixed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been shaving for cycling for over 10 years and I've always used the cheapo Lady BIC shavers (pretty colors too) Also the cheap Barbasol or Colgate brand of foam is good for me. I don't have extremely thick or hairy legs so I don't have to work as hard as some guys to stay smooth and clean. Also the longer you go between shaves (like in the winter) the harder it is to do a good job and not carve up your legs in the process. BTW my wife of 27 years likes my smooth legs and hardly anyone has ever noticed or commented. My grown kids have rarely seen my legs in a hairy state and don't think I'm too strange. It has definately saved me from having to deal with wounds and road rash and the sun screen comment is right on.
Old 05-19-03, 02:39 PM
pletcgm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by pletcgm
P.S. I see girls staring at my legs quite often. I had one to come up to me the other night and tell me that I have really cute legs. That makes it even more advantageous to shave my legs!!!
BTW, I forgot to say that I make a point of wearing shorts all the time.
Old 05-19-03, 03:16 PM
Duffy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hear all the reasons given as to why you shave,and I am sure they are valid. However,I think most of it is the desire to be part of the racing culture. There is nothing wrong with that but come on and admit it.
Old 05-19-03, 03:41 PM
paul31606

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
how far up do you shave? just above the elastic grip section on the legs of the shorts or higher.
Old 05-19-03, 04:23 PM
pletcgm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by paul31606
how far up do you shave? just above the elastic grip section on the legs of the shorts or higher.
I shave a couple inches above the elastic section.