Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Rockshox U-Turn?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Rockshox U-Turn?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-07, 12:53 PM
jeff^d
enginerd

Bikes: Black Cat SS, Ibis Ripley v4, Cannondale Synapse Hi-MOD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rockshox U-Turn?

Anyone have experience with the u-turn system? I'm debating if it's worth the 1/2 pound on a Reba Team. With my riding conditions (mix of XC, AM, etc etc) I could go either way, it just sounds sorta fun to play with. I'm wondering if the u-turn adds complexity that might shorten the life of the fork. This'll be my second new fork in 8 years...I'd like to keep it awhile. Thanks.
Old 10-24-07, 02:11 PM
hills
Legend

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love my U-Turn on the pike, its great if you have different riding styles like me, sometimes a bit of street, sometimes trail riding. i really have no regrets buying it.

the only problem i have ever had was the U-turn knob seizing up, but all it took was a little oil under the twister, and problem solved.
Old 10-24-07, 02:35 PM
pm63

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What is u turn?
Old 10-24-07, 03:42 PM
hills
Legend

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pm63
What is u turn?

travel adjust.
Old 10-24-07, 05:34 PM
andrefulci
Amish Warrior

Bikes: '05 Santa Cruz Chameleon, '06 Voodoo Erzulie SS, '87 Schwinn LeTour Fixie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After many rocky miles, the U-Turn feature is still working perfectly on my 2005 Pike. I like the adjustment option for different trails because there's quite a variety of terrain in my neck of the woods. You need to be wary of your frame geometry, however. Some frames can only handle 20mm of travel adjustment before you start running into handling and structural issues. Check the manufacturer specs to be sure. If you're comfy with a set travel and the trails you ride are the same terrain, or if you're bike isn't designed with a wide travel adjustment in mind, then you probably don't need it. Otherwise, I say go for it!
Old 10-24-07, 05:40 PM
FF 6800

Bikes: 2005 Specialized hardrock pro... pike426, e.13 drs, fsa gap crank, formula k24's, and some more/2006 Scattante R-660 easton circuit wheels.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by andrefulci
After many rocky miles, the U-Turn feature is still working perfectly on my 2005 Pike. I like the adjustment option for different trails because there's quite a variety of terrain in my neck of the woods. You need to be wary of your frame geometry, however. Some frames can only handle 20mm of travel adjustment before you start running into handling and structural issues. Check the manufacturer specs to be sure. If you're comfy with a set travel and the trails you ride are the same terrain, or if you're bike isn't designed with a wide travel adjustment in mind, then you probably don't need it. Otherwise, I say go for it!
yep i have to agree. i have an '06 pike and its great. can be a little tedious dropping it from 140 to 95 if you are riding, but i hardly ever do that. i would also suggest you go for it. rockshox makes great forks
Old 10-25-07, 02:50 AM
nathank
cycle-powered

Bikes: '02 Specialized FSR, '03 RM Slayer, '99 Raleigh R700, '97 Norco hartail, '89 Stumpjumper

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have never heard of problems with the U-Turn. as far as i know it is simply a little more weight and a little more $$.

i have a Pike Coil U-Turn where i convert my hardtail from Freeride mode with 67 degree steering angle to Street/Trails mode increasing the steering angle by about 2 1/4 degrees (> 69) - simply super!

i also have a Domain with U-Turn on my Big Freeride bike where i use the U-Turn for climbing because with the fork extended the steering angle is like 66 degrees so climbing is no fun (after U-Turn angle about 68 degress which is tolerable)

as opposed to other systems and especially lock-outs, the U-Turn system is really nice in that it does not affect the hardness/rebound/compression and does not seem to have anything to break (like Fox lockouts that stop working or my Marzocchi ETA sometimes would act funny)

if you need it, it's great!