Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How long till I can get back in the saddle?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-11, 12:38 AM
Didi2005

Bikes: 2002 Specialized Allez Elite, 2000 Iron Horse Adirondack

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know this is a question for my Dr, but I'm going to ask it anyway, maybe some of you had a similiar experience. I just had appendicits, my appendix was removed yesterday. I'm home already but I still can't move around to easily. How long do you think it'll be till I can get back in the saddle? I haven't rode for a week already. I was supposed to go for a ride the night I ended up in the ER. If any body here has had this issue or knows someone who has, how long did it take you to recover? Thanks.
Old 10-07-11, 12:51 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Just for once, this is a medical question I know something about.

I had acute appendicitis at the end of December last year. It was a laporoscopic -keyhole - operation, as I imagine yours was if you are home the day following the operation. I was off painkillers by day 3 post-op and back on the bike for the first time on day 7 post op.

That was a mistake. I felt fine on the bike but later had a recurrence of post-operative pain, so I took another week off then rode forty miles. Again, I felt the after-effects and was off the bike for several more days. It was a month post-op before I was back to riding normally and I continued to have increasingly occasional post-operative pain for four months.

I don't have much doubt that I would have done better to take a full fortnight off the bike immediately following the surgery, and that my subsequent twinges were in part due to my over-enthusiasm at the start. Having said that, I ended up being fine, and a bit of post-op pain is hardly surprising considering the fact that they have inflated your abdomen and messed around in there with a scope and, effectively, a knife and fork.

My recommendation would be to leave it a couple of weeks before you ride. Frustrating, but better than slowing your recovery, as I suspect I did. And obviously, if at any pointyou are in more pain than you think you should be, get medical advice.
Old 10-07-11, 02:35 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
It took me 6 weeks to get back on the bicycle after having my appendix removed.

But then, they weren't sure what was wrong with me so opened me right up to have a bit of a look around.
Old 10-07-11, 08:00 AM
Didi2005

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chasm54
Just for once, this is a medical question I know something about.

I had acute appendicitis at the end of December last year. It was a laporoscopic -keyhole - operation, as I imagine yours was if you are home the day following the operation. I was off painkillers by day 3 post-op and back on the bike for the first time on day 7 post op.

That was a mistake. I felt fine on the bike but later had a recurrence of post-operative pain, so I took another week off then rode forty miles. Again, I felt the after-effects and was off the bike for several more days. It was a month post-op before I was back to riding normally and I continued to have increasingly occasional post-operative pain for four months.

I don't have much doubt that I would have done better to take a full fortnight off the bike immediately following the surgery, and that my subsequent twinges were in part due to my over-enthusiasm at the start. Having said that, I ended up being fine, and a bit of post-op pain is hardly surprising considering the fact that they have inflated your abdomen and messed around in there with a scope and, effectively, a knife and fork.

My recommendation would be to leave it a couple of weeks before you ride. Frustrating, but better than slowing your recovery, as I suspect I did. And obviously, if at any pointyou are in more pain than you think you should be, get medical advice.

Yup, mine was acute appendicitis too. Lapriscopic, three little holes, one in my belly and two lower down at my waist line. The nurse made it sound like I can ride in a week. After your experience I think I'm going to wait at least 3 before I try. Sucks. I guess I'll have to find some good leg excercises that I can do in bed. The surgery was Wednesday afternnon, now It's Friday morning, almost 2 full days later and I'm still in a lot of pain, I couldn't sleep last night from it. I'm supposed to see the doctor on Tuesday, I'll see what he thinks and go from there I guess. Glad to see I'm not the only biker to go through this

Last edited by Didi2005; 10-07-11 at 08:31 AM.
Old 10-07-11, 05:15 PM
CNY James

Bikes: 2010 Felt F5, 2010 Dawes SST-AL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i had my appendectomy when I was 8 so I can't really say but I had a similarly invasive hernia repair in July. It was 6-8 weeks before I felt up to really riding. I probably was a little wimpy about it but that's how I felt... My Dr. said get on when I felt up to it... so I medically speaking, I took longer than I needed to but it didn't seem worth it based on how I felt.
Old 10-07-11, 08:17 PM
Pete In Az

Bikes: Raleigh Venture 3.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Didi2005
... Lapriscopic, three little holes, one in my belly and two lower down at my waist line...
Sounds like the way they repaired my hernia a year ago. The surgeon said I could ride whenever I wanted to after the operation, it was out patient surgery. Three days later I took a short ride down my hill then back up. After that, I went out riding every day. They didn't really cut up any muscles (I'm assuming the slits were side to side) so there's not much to heal. The worst part was getting the colon working again and, for some reason, riding seemed to help.

Check with your Doc first, but, I say go for it.
Old 10-08-11, 06:23 PM
Didi2005

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pete In Az
Sounds like the way they repaired my hernia a year ago. The surgeon said I could ride whenever I wanted to after the operation, it was out patient surgery. Three days later I took a short ride down my hill then back up. After that, I went out riding every day. They didn't really cut up any muscles (I'm assuming the slits were side to side) so there's not much to heal. The worst part was getting the colon working again and, for some reason, riding seemed to help.

Wow, 3 days is quick. My surgery wasn't outpatient though and they did some cutting in there. It's a little more then 3 days now and I'm still in pain. It's not so bad but it's there. I tried lifting a soda bottle (2 liters full) and it hurt. I think they said no heavy lifting for 4 weeks! I hope it won't be that long. I'm going to see the surgean for a post-op on tuesday morning. We'll see what he says. I wanna ride!!
Old 10-08-11, 07:51 PM
Pete In Az

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In that case, never mind. Your surgery was more complex then mine. The only pain I had was because my colon was on strike. It sounds like you have other things going on.

Good luck Tuesday and I hope you heal soon.
Old 10-08-11, 09:18 PM
Didi2005

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In that case, never mind. Your surgery was more complex then mine. The only pain I had was because my colon was on strike. It sounds like you have other things going on.

Good luck Tuesday and I hope you heal soon.
Thanks, so do I
Old 10-08-11, 09:37 PM
wabbit
Sprockette

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
even if it's a small incision, it's still surgery.
Usually they recommend 6 weeks before returning to the bike. I had abdominal surgery a few years ago, it was a bit more serious and was major surgery with a bigger incision. But I was able to ride 6 weeks later.
The best thing I can tell you is don't push it! The other thing is the anesthesia can have lingering effects. When i started riding again, it was a month before I could really go for a long ride. Don't go until your doc says it's ok and when you do start riding again, take it slow and easy!
The first ride I did was about 30 k in total, just on the bike path. It was kind of cool and windy that day too and I got pooped really fast. You'll be all right!
Old 10-08-11, 10:47 PM
Northwestrider

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Rodriguez Tandem, Wheeler MTB

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I waited a month after my gall bladder removal, I should have waited a little longer.
The 6 weeks wabbit suggests is not unreasonable. IMO our bodies heal much quicker on the outside than they
do on the inside.
Old 10-09-11, 02:48 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Didi2005
Yup, mine was acute appendicitis too. Lapriscopic, three little holes, one in my belly and two lower down at my waist line. The nurse made it sound like I can ride in a week. After your experience I think I'm going to wait at least 3 before I try. Sucks. I guess I'll have to find some good leg excercises that I can do in bed. The surgery was Wednesday afternnon, now It's Friday morning, almost 2 full days later and I'm still in a lot of pain, I couldn't sleep last night from it. I'm supposed to see the doctor on Tuesday, I'll see what he thinks and go from there I guess. Glad to see I'm not the only biker to go through this
Try walking slowly around the block first and see how that goes. When you feel comfortable with that, maybe try riding your bicycle on the trainer (get someone to set your bicycle up on the trainer, don't do that yourself). If you ride on the trainer, you have the option of stopping the moment it starts bothering you, rather than being stuck somewhere on the road several kilometres from home.
Old 10-09-11, 07:38 AM
Didi2005

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the trainer idea, thanks Machka. My neighbor has a trainer that he usually let's me use, that'll probably be the first thing I try when the doc gives me the ok. Thanks everyone for the replies, it's giving me hope that I'll be able to get back on the bike before it gets too cold. I was having a pretty good season too. I hadn't biked in about 5 or 6 years, then I started again in march and I've done about 1,500 miles since. Let's hope I can get back on the bike soon
Old 10-11-11, 03:07 PM
Didi2005

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got back from the Dr. He said I can go back to work (Electrician) but I can't do anything strenuous for 3 weeks and then he needs to see me again. I asked him if I could bike and he said no. I asked if I could do a light, easy ride, he said that I shouldn't cause it's going to hurt but it if I do I won't do any damage. I think I'd rather wait it out, it's probably better not to risk it and let everything heal properly.
Old 10-18-11, 08:12 PM
Didi2005

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So it's been about 13 days since my appendectomy and I finally decided I had enough and went for a short ride this evening. My average speed was a little lower then usual and I had to stop halfway through the ride, I was pushing it though. I felt a little knocked out when I got back but I guess thats to be expected. Other then that, I feel fine, not really any pain. I'm back!! Yay!!
Old 10-18-11, 09:37 PM
Pete In Az

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well Good on you.

Welcome back.
Old 10-18-11, 10:02 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3376 Post(s)
Liked 5,522 Times in 2,862 Posts

I had laparoscopic hernia surgery 3 weeks ago. The doc said I could ride a stationary bike after a week, and a real one after two weeks. Well I don't have a stationary bike, but the 11th day after surgery was a bright, sunny Sunday, and I was going nuts, so I went out and did my usual 30-miler with 2000' of climbing.