Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Full Email Record of Bikes Direct MTB Purchase

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-11, 04:08 PM
ljcoffeen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Attached is a comprehensive email history of my purchase experience with Bikes Direct. Names and personal info have been removed. Formatting is a bit messy because of the copy/past from my email account. Its in reverse chronological order; I recommend reading from the bottom up.

Its a bit long and probably not the easiest to read through in this format, but hopefully it can help inform people's purchase decision and help BD continue to improve their product and services.

No problem :)
BD

-----Original Message-----
To: bikesdirectbikes <bikesdirectbikes@aol.com>
Sent: Fri, Oct 7, 2011 1:03 pm
Subject: Re: Second Bicycle Arrived Damaged - Escalate/$-- refund for 2 damaged bikes

Thank you BD, you too.

L

On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 9:47 AM, <bikesdirectbikes@aol.com> wrote:

Done :)
Thanks and have a great weekend!
BD

Hi ----,

Please refund this customer $-- for the problems he's had with his bikes. His first bike had lots of problems and we exchanged it and then the second bike arrived damaged and with other problems as well.

Replacement Order ----,
Thanks.

BD,

I'm glad I could help, L,.

Enjoy your new bike.

BA
at bikes direct

In a message dated 10/6/2011 11:35:36 A.M. Central Daylight Time, ----, writes:

----, that would work for me. Thank you for being considerate of my experience.

Regards,
L

On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 12:09 PM, <Bd4servicecenter@aol.com> wrote:

Hi L.

The best I could do in a case like this would be a 10% discount to make up for the trouble, which would be $--. Let me know if that will work for you and I'll have the office take care of it for you as quickly as possible.

Thanks.

---- at bikes direct

In a message dated 10/5/2011 7:30:26 P.M. Central Daylight Time, ---- writes:

Hi ¬BD

I hear ya. I think a 10-15% discount on the purchase or swapping out the Recon fork for a Reba would be fair (i.e. make me a happier customer) given the situation.

L

On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 10:56 AM, <Bd4servicecenter@aol.com> wrote:

Hi L

We do not have expedited shipping. That's why the parts were sent via UPS Ground.

We ship out the bikes unopened exactly as we receive them from the shipping containers from the factory. We would have no way of knowing that one of the tires on the second bike was defective. Truing rotors is a standard part of assembling a new mountain bike out of the box.

What do you think would be a fair resolution to the problem?

Please let me know.

Thanks.

---- at bikes direct

In a message dated 10/4/2011 6:01:56 P.M. Central Daylight Time, ---- writes:

----, I'm glad that you shipped the replacement parts.

I excitedly wait to see what you do to recover from this bad user experience. What should I expect, a partial refund? An upgrade to one of the components on my bike? You're not planning on leaving this where it is I hope...

To review:

I ordered my bike on 9/5. Today, the day you're reading this, is 10/5 and I do not have a ride-able bike.
The first bike arrived with a bent rear drop out (aluminum) and would not accept the wheel. I was told to bend it back...really guys? I packed it and shipped back.
The second bike arrived at the wrong address with bent rear hanger, warped rear tire, and bent rear rotor.

BD's asking me to true to rotor myself (fine) and replace the rear tire and hanger when I receive replacements from BD...more things for me to do before this bike is ride-able.
BD shipped the replacement bike and this round of replacement parts standard ground...not expedited. Goodbye nice fall riding weather.

L

On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 1:34 PM, <Bd4servicecenter@aol.com> wrote:

Hi L

Thanks for the picture and the video. I'm sending out another WTB Nano 29er tire and a pair of derailleur hangers to the ShapeUp address you gave me today via UPS Ground. Your tracking # is ---- and you can track them at www.ups.com

Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

---- at bikes direct

In a message dated 10/3/2011 6:11:56 P.M. Central Daylight Time, ---- writes:

Picture of hanger and video of warped tire attached. Note that the wheel is true, it is the tire causing the wobble.

Replacement parts should be shipped to:

On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 4:47 PM, <Bd4servicecenter@aol.com> wrote:

Hi L

I'm sorry to hear that there are also problems with your replacement bike. I'll be glad to help you with this.

Please send me some pictures of the bent hanger and the problem with the tire so I can see what happened and round up some replacements for you. Once I see the damage I can send the parts out.

Please also let me know the exact address you want me to ship the parts to for you. I only have your ---- address in my records and in your order.

Your rotor can easily be trued. Here are instructions for doing so:

What can I do with warped rotors?
There are NO rotors that are dead flat and they can all be trued up - even most new ones. As rotors are a thin stamped steel product they all tend to be somewhat warped - some more or less than others. But warpage is curable so don't freak out. Warpage that causes brake drag or "zinnnggggg" needs to be fixed and luckily that's quite easy. I true up ALL my rotors and can usually do them in two minutes. They don't have to be dead-on but just fairly close. Grab a small clean adjustable wrench and a piece of something white. There are also special tools for the job on the market; the best ones come in a set of three.
Truing the rotors - Make sure you have lots of light so you can see well. Lay the piece of white paper or plastic below the bike on the floor. Now stand where you can look through the caliper and reposition the paper on the floor so the white background is visible through the caliper when viewed between rotor and pad. The light colored background lets you see what the rotor is doing inside the caliper when you spin the wheel.
When you're all set up, slowly spin the wheel and look for spots on the rotor which are out of true and touch a pad on one side or the other. When you find a spot which rubs or nearly rubs, rotate the rotor back out of the caliper 90 - 180 degrees, place the clean adjustable wrench on the rotor with the jaws just open wide enough to grasp the rotor, and verrrrry gently bend the rotor in the opposite direction.
A little movement goes a very long way here. Apply the brake lever after every pry to re-set any pad that has got squished back. Don't tweak hard or you will make things worse than they were. Don't forget - more is NOT better! Keep doing this until the rotor runs fairly straight and you can see and hear that it is not hitting the pads.
This is normally a quick job but I'll admit some have taken me a 1/2 hr or so to true. There are specific tools out there that make the job easy. One company markets a set of three tools - to be used together to isolate the warp. That same company even markets a trail tool that allows you to true warped and tweaked rotors trailside so that you don't get your sweaty, greasy fingers on the rotor. If you touch the rotor with fingers then clean it with isopropyl alcohol before you ride. Any oil or grease, yes even body oils, is not a good thing. The next best cleaning fluids are Windex or a light dish soap. Washing the rotors at bike wash time is not a problem.
There are good reasons for wanting true rotors. They are -
1. Prevent premature pad wear.
2. Prevent uneven, inconsistent rotor wear. Consistent rotor wear = consistent braking.
3. Eliminate pre-heating the calipers and fluid.
4. Eliminate the irritating noise factor.
Thanks.

---- at bikes direct

Replacement Order # #----
In a message dated 10/3/2011 11:43:41 A.M. Central Daylight Time, bikesdirectbikes@aol.com writes:

Hi L,
Thanks for your reply. We do apologize that your bike arrived damaged and will be happy to help you. We do not own the factories that manufacture the bikes. Motobecane is just a brand and they do not have a factory of their own. The bikes are manufactured and packed in factories in Taiwan and there is not a way to just send a request to have them packed differently. We wish it were that easy but it is not.
We do respond to all emails with in 24 hours on business days only. Everyone that works here is a human being.
We all have families and like to spend the weekends with them. We are also getting hundreds of emails per day and because we have such a low over head, we do need about a day to respond to everyone. While your replies to our emails may be very prompt, we have about 100-150 emails that come in between your replies and we have to answer all emails in the order they are received. Again, we do apologize for any inconveniences and will be happy to help you.
At this time, your message has been forwarded to the service center, as they handle all post order parts and warranty issues. They will get back to you by the end of the day and will be happy to help with a resolution.
Thanks again,
BD

Sent: Sat, Oct 1, 2011 12:22 am
Subject: Second Bicycle Arrived Damaged - Escalate

Dear Bikes Direct,

I originally purchased the a bike from you, the Fantom29 X7, on 9/5 and I still do not have a ride-able bicycle. Please escalate this situation. I hope you find this situation as unacceptable as I do.

Here is the deal:

The bicycle first arrived on 9/14. It arrived with a significantly bent rear hanger and a rear dropout and did not accept the wheel. I dissembled it, packed it, and shipped it back to you on 9/19 (several days lost on back and forth with CS)
A replacement bicycle arrived from you on 9/28/. It arrived at my home address instead of my business address...which I requested it be sent to multiple times be email.
The package arrived very smashed up, one of the holes in the box being approximately 5x6 inches.
The rear hanger on the replacement bicycle is significantly bent and does not accept the wheel. The rear dropout is slightly bent, but does accept the wheel just fine.
The rear disc brake, which was shipped attached to the rear wheel, arrived bent and needs to be trued...the wheel cannot turn without the brake rubbing. The break is properly adjusted, the disc is bent.
The rear tire arrived warped. I suspect ripped/defective cords

To reiterate, I purchased a bicycle on 9/5, today is 9/30 and I do not have a ride-able bike. I want to know what you plan to do to fix the situation and why I have received 2/2 damaged bicycles.

Additionally, during my last round with customer service, I did not like that every time customer support asked me a question and I answered promptly, it was about 24 hrs (onetime more and another time had to wait over weekend) before they got back to me again. I also didn't like that customer service went on vacation on the weekends.

So far the experience has been everything I hoped it wouldn't be: frustrating, time consuming, etc. I've missed weeks of prime New England riding weather, and the cold is right around the corner.

Call (----) or email me ASAP.

On a side note, I did not realize that this year's model of SRAM X7 shifters (included on the bike) did not have gear position indicators. My fault for not researching that enough and not the end of the world, but its an unusual feature that was certainly not made clear in the online description of the bike.

Here is some general feedback:

Pack you bikes better...a lot better. Saying that they ship directly from the manufacturer is not an excuse because you own Motebecane
Add a few dollars into your price points and increase your customer service responsiveness dramatically...email is fine for your market, but response time should be way below what it is.
Make note of unusual features in your product descriptions (i.e. shifters without GPI)

Original Order # ----
Replacement Order # #----

-L

Hi L,
thanks for your reply. We respond to all emails with in 24 hours and received hundreds per day.
We will have your replacement shipped today and have attached your new tracking info below.
We hope you love it and of there is anything you need, please let me know.
Thanks again,
BD

Shopping Cart Payment Received (Unique Transaction ID #----)

Please note your transaction number above and include in any correspondence with us - it will allow us to find your order quicker

PLEASE READ THIS ENTIRE EMAIL FOR THE MOST ENJOYMENT OF YOUR NEW BIKE AND TO RETAIN YOUR WARRANTY

Thanks for your order. You saved a ton on your new factory direct bike from bikesdirect.com!

To contact us, please click the following link and send an email to the correct department https://www.bikesdirect.com/contact.htm

. Please email only one address and allow up to 24 business hours for a reply. Our staff business hours are Monday - Friday, 9:00am - 5:00pm, EST only.

WHEN YOUR BIKE ARRIVES, PLEASE WRITE DOWN THE SERIAL NUMBER. WE DO NOT KEEP THESE ON FILE, AS THE BIKES DROP SHIP DIRECTLY FROM THE FACTORY TO YOU. YOU CAN FIND THIS NUMBER IN ONE OF THE FOLLOWING PLACES : UNDERNEATH THE BOTTOM BRACKET OR ON THE REAR DROP OUTS.

***Your tracking number is at the bottom of this email. If your item was advertised as a "pre-pay" bike and has an expected shipping date indicated in the item description, your bike will not ship or show movement until the expected shipping date that is indicated in the listing for that bike.
Once your bike has actually shipped it will take about 3 to 7 days (not including weekends or holidays).

*****The manuals that come with all of our bikes are very generic and may not pertain to your exact bike. Please take a look at the useful tips and information about your bike/order, below.

If you misplaced your generic manual - here is one you can download Click Here
Again, please take a moment to read this entire email, it can save you even more time and money.

RIDING TIPS:
Always wear a helmet

ASSEMBLY TIPS:
PLEASE NOTE -- pedals are left and right threads -- the right pedals goes in the right side; left in the left side -- pedals should be greased, properly tightened and NEVER forced in. A stripped crank or pedal is always a setup error due to improper pedal installation and not enough tightening. Just take it slow and it should be no problem. Warning, stripped threads are not covered by any warranty.

Be sure to tighten all parts and check adjustments prior to riding.
Even parts that arrive pre-installed should be tightened and adjusted.

Most bikes are shipped knocked down with pedals (if included), handlebars, seat, and front wheel off.
The brakes and derailleurs will need some minor adjustment, sometimes wheels need minor truing.

It takes most about 25 minutes to setup a factory direct bike.
It is very easy to do; but most customers like to take their time and spend about an hour on setup.
If you would like to know more about bike assembly and adjustment, please see the following links:

LOOK AT THESE:
https://www.bikesdirect.com/instructionhelp.htm
https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7WCSSy6ag8
and this on threadless stems
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgAiElcaVjs
or
https://www.bicyclinglife.com/
or
https://www.jimlangley.net/wrench/wrench.html
or check the manual at https://www.motobecane.com/

All bikes come with generic manuals. If you are looking for more detailed information on how to assemble/work on your bike please see the links above.

The warning line on the seatpost is for the integrity of the seatpost. To protect the frame, the seatpost should be inserted so that the bottom edge of the seatpost tube is below the lowest weld junction of the seat tube/top tube.

See these references:
https://www.ridemonkey.com/fo

rums/archive/index.php/t-50016.html

https://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:...&ct=clnk&gl=us

https://cdn.specialized.com/OA_MEDIA/...e%20Manual.pdf

https://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/vi...p?f=34&t=16046

"The minimum insertion is determined by the lowest point of the top tube where it joins the seat tube. If the seat post doesn't extend below the bottom of the top tube, the seat post can lever against the inside of the top tube and split the frame, ruining your bike....need to be very careful that your seat post goes far enough into the frame"

If you feel it is beyond your expertise or you prefer to not fool with the set up of your new bike, a fair price at a Bike Shop to assemble is about $25 to $50, in most areas of the country.

We are happy to answer questions and address concerns. If you need to contact us regarding your order and/or purchase, please see the contact page and send an email tip the correct department. Please email only one address and allow up to 24 business hours for a reply. https://www.bikesdirect.com/contact.htm

If you need parts, clothing, or accessories; we think you should try out
https://www.bikeisland.com/
Unlike most sites, they do not charge shipping! On items like Helmets, Computers, Shoes, and components can save you a lot.
Many of our customers buy the starter tool kit and bike repair video at https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...sembly_kit.htm
This could easily be the best $29 you ever spent.
Thanks again and
Remember we are always here to help you out.
Your item will be shipped via UPS ground.
If your item has a month indicated in the item description your bike will not ship and show movement until sometime during that listed month.
Once your bike has actually shipped it will take about 3 to 7 days (not including weekends or holidays).
The tracking number is as follows:
----
You can track it at https://www.ups.com/
(sometimes it takes 24 to 48 hours to show in their system)
Follow us on FaceBook for special inside info, news, reviews and deals:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bikesdirect/122199864367

or Twitter:
https://twitter.com/bikesdirect_joe

Thanks for your order. You saved a ton on your new factory direct bike from bikesdirect.com

!

PLEASE READ THIS ENTIRE EMAIL FOR THE MOST ENJOYMENT OF YOUR NEW BIKE AND TO RETAIN YOUR WARRANTY

BD

Sent: Tue, Sep 20, 2011 6:55 pm
Subject: Fwd: Bicycle Arrived with Bent Rear Dropout/Pick up and exchange damaged bike.

Hi BD,

I did not hear back from you today (9/20). Would you please email or call (----) me to discuss when my replacement bike will be mailed.

Would you please send the bicycle to my office at:

If this is not possible you can send to the original shipping address that you have on record.

I have shipped the return bicycle that arrived to me damaged. The UPS tracking number is ----

I appreciate your prompt response.

Regards,
L

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 6:25 PM
Subject: Re: Bicycle Arrived with Bent Rear Dropout/Pick up and exchange damaged bike.
To: "bikesdirectbikes@aol.com" <bikesdirectbikes@aol.com>

Hi BD, I just shipped the bicycle using the return label you provided. The UPS tracking number is ----.

Would you please send the replacement bicycle to my office:
And would you notify me when the replacement has been shipped?

Thanks,
L

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 19, 2011, at 12:06 PM, bikesdirectbikes@aol.com wrote:

> Hi L,
> Thanks for your reply.
> There is a return label attached to this email for you. Just print it out and tape it to the box, making sure you have removed any other UPS shipping labels, first. Once you have the bike packed up and ready to go, please drop it off at UPS, Office Depot, Staples or anywhere near you that has a daily UPS pick up. Please see the following link for tips on how to pack the bike correctly https://www.jimlangley.net/wrench/boxabike.html.
> *Please be sure to let me know as soon as you get the bike to UPS and i will have a replacement shipped right away.
> If you have any questions, please let me know.
> Thanks again,
> ----
> Mon - Fri 9:00am - 5:00pm, EST
> www.bikesdirect.com
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: ---- <---->
> To: bikesdirectbikes <bikesdirectbikes@aol.com>
> Sent: Fri, Sep 16, 2011 6:14 pm
> Subject: Re: Bicycle Arrived with Bent Rear Dropout/Pick up and exchange damaged bike.
>
> Hi BD. Please email me a return label and I will drop off the package at the UPS pickup at the local Staples.
>
> Thank You,
> L
> Trans id # ----.
>
> On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 4:54 PM, <bikesdirectbikes@aol.com> wrote:
>
> Hi ,
> Thanks for your email and order.
> If I email you a return label, will you be able to drop the bike off at UPS, Office Depot, Staples or anywhere near you that has a daily UPS pick up?
> If you are unable to drop the bike off yourself, please let me know and I will arrange to have a UPS driver come pick it up from you. Just let me know what day and time is best, the address they will need to pick it up from, and your best contact phone number.
> I look forward to your reply and if you have any questions, please let me know.
> Thanks again and have a great weekend,
> BD
> Mon - Fri 9:00am - 5:00pm, EST
> www.bikesdirect.com
>
> -----Original Message-----
To: ---- <---->
Cc: Bikesdirectbikes <Bikesdirectbikes@aol.com>
Sent: Fri, Sep 16, 2011 4:39 pm
Subject: Re: Bicycle Arrived with Bent Rear Dropout/Pick up and exchange damaged bike.
>
Hi ----,
>
This customer's rear dropout (actual dropout-not just the hanger) was damaged in transit so the wheel will not fit. They are not comfortable trying to bend the dropout since it's aluminum so they'd like to exchange this one for an undamaged one. Please pick up this bike and exchange it for them. Please write "Damaged drive side dropout" on the return label so I'll recognize it when it gets here.
>
Trans id #.
Thanks.
>
> BD
>
Hi L,
>
---- in the main office will be your contact for the rest of the return/exchange process. Be on the lookout for an email from bikesdirectbikes@aol.com with return instructions. Please go ahead and repack the bike the way you received it so it's ready to come back to us when she contacts you.
>
Thanks.
>
---- at bikes direct
>
In a message dated 9/16/2011 11:46:14 A.M. Central Daylight Time, ---- writes:
>
BD, thanks for the follow-up and advice, but I don't think I comfortable accepting the bike in the condition it arrived (which would mean bending back open the dropout that small amount).
>
How do we go about swapping it for a fresh one?
>
Regards,
L
>
On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 11:54 AM, <Bd4servicecenter@aol.com> wrote:
>
Hi L,
>
Thanks for the pictures. I was really hoping that the problem was the hanger but that doesn't look too bad. It looks like it's only off by a millimeter or two and should be able to be spread back open far enough to accept the rear wheel. The dropout can actually be bent back open that small amount without affecting the integrity of the frame.
>
What I normally do to fix a bent dropout is take a wrench, or any tool that can fit in the dropout, and use the leverage to open the dropout enough to allow the axle to fit. This is a very easy repair to do. If you feel comfortable making this adjustment I will gladly credit $30 back to the card used to purchase the bike.
>
If you cannot get it to work we'll need to swap out the entire bicycle.
>
Let me know if you can get the wheel to fit and I'll have the office process that refund for you..
>
Thanks,
---- at bikes direct
>
>
In a message dated 9/15/2011 5:57:10 P.M. Central Daylight Time, ---- writes:
>
BD, I removed the hanger and unfortunately the axle does not fit into the actual dropout of the frame. See pics. I've also attached a pic of where it looks like the dropout was banged...where the paint it missing.
>
What are our next steps?
>
We've obviously hit a major bump in the road, so to speak, but I'm still open to seeing this turned around into a positive customer experience.
>
Regards,
L
>
On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 3:30 PM, <Bd4servicecenter@aol.com> wrote:
>
Keep me posted, L.
>
The odds that something hit it so hard that the actual frame is damaged are pretty slim. Of course, UPS has surprised me in the past so I wouldn't completely rule it out...
>
Thanks.
>
---- at bikes direct
>
In a message dated 9/15/2011 1:40:39 P.M. Central Daylight Time, ---- writes:
>
Thank you for your quick response BD. I will remove the hanger and see if the axle will fit into the actual dropout frame tonight when I get home from work. I'll email you what I find out.
>
Best,
L
>
On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 2:30 PM, <Bd4servicecenter@aol.com> wrote:
>
Hi L,
>
I'm sorry to hear that your bike arrived with a problem with the rear dropout. UPS doesn't always treat our bikes like they're family heirlooms. I'll be glad to help you with this.
>
The wheel is installed at the factory for assembly but then it is removed so that the bike can be packed for shipping.
>
In your pictures it looks like just the derailleur hanger itself is bent, and not the actual dropout of the frame. Please remove the derailleur hanger and see if the axle will fit into the actual dropout of the frame and let me know what you find out. If just the hanger is bent it can be bent back so that the wheel will install properly and I can also send you out a new hanger.
>
Let me know if my hunch is correct and it's just the hanger that is bent.
>
Thanks.
>
---- at bikes direct
>
In a message dated 9/15/2011 12:23:37 P.M. Central Daylight Time, ---- writes:
>
I received my Fantom29 X7 in the mail yesterday, 9/14/11.
Order # ----.
Last night, 9/14/11 I unpacked the bike and began to assemble it.
>
The gear side dropout appears to have arrived bent (pic). The rear wheel will not fit into the rear dropout on the gear side (pic). When I unpacked the bike, the plastic shipping spacer in the dropout had been snapped off from the rest of the spacer and compressed (pic). I had to pull the plastic shipping space out of the dropout with a pair of needle-nose pliers.
Neither wheel was attached to the frame during shipping.
>
Also, it appears that the bike was previously assembled at one time, if not ridden. I'm not worried about that though...was that from QA activities?
I am excited to ride a Motobecane but the bike I received cannot be assembled.
>
Pictures attached.
>
Please call or write asap
>
Regards,
L
Old 10-10-11, 04:28 PM
cranky old road 
Let your bike be the tool

Bikes: '66 Raleigh Carlton, '70 Ron Cooper, '95 Bianchi CD'I, Zonal Frame with Xenon gruppo, Carbon Frame with Record Gruppo, Columbia Twosome, Terry Classic, Bianchi SX, Gravity SS/FG

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 194 Posts
All of my (3) parcels from BD have arrived in good shape. Sounds like you might need to leave a flaming bag of doggie do on the doorstep of your local UPS depot.
Old 10-10-11, 05:25 PM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Executive summary please...
Old 10-10-11, 05:42 PM
drmweaver2

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Sorry to hear about the extended problems you had with BD. It borders on "horror story".
I guess I was lucky last year when my DB Windsor Tourist arrived 2 days earlier than expected with zero damage.
Old 10-10-11, 06:47 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Definitely not a BD shill.

Opportunities for improvement at BD!
Old 10-10-11, 06:49 PM
trevor_ash
Happy go lucky

Bikes: 2010 Nagasawa (Track), EAI Bareknuckle (Track), Custom Jonny Cycles (Track), 90's Eddy Merckx (Road), 2002 Colnago Tecnos, 200? Felt F60 (Road), 1992 Schwinn Paramount Series 3 (Road)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you sure you're not a schill?

I just read that entire email from bottom to top and I'm impressed with the service you got! I thought that was outstanding service (despite your frustration of losing over a month without a working bicycle)
Old 10-10-11, 06:51 PM
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Why is this tread even here? Got problems? Take'm up with a lawyer and NOT here on BF!! Good Grief!

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Old 10-10-11, 07:34 PM
CraigB
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm left wondering what your point was in posting this. Was it to show the potential dangers of ordering online? That this company failed in your estimation? Or that they succeeded in correcting the problems? Are you happy with them, or not? Was it to demonstrate the possibility of redemption, or the futility of dealing with a distant merchant? Maybe an executive summary, as Looigi suggested, would help.
Old 10-10-11, 07:52 PM
cleon
Recently Addicted

Bikes: M1 w/105

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I felt the story needed more detail. Are there any phone transcripts available to add?

Edit: btw CraigB...congrats on that awesome BMI reduction!
Old 10-10-11, 08:36 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

"but hopefully it can help inform people's purchase decision and help BD continue to improve their product and services."

Perhaps a summary of this BD buying experience would have been easier for folks to digest.
I am usually repelled by ultra-long posts. Surprised that I read through all of this one. Maybe the backwards format/chronology attracted me.
Old 10-10-11, 09:06 PM
georgiaman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nasty story man! Sorry that you had problems with BD. At least you might get to ride your bike before snow. Good luck!!

P.s. Ignore these other jokers that complained about the thread!
Old 10-10-11, 09:59 PM
Toeslider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This whole thing could have been taken care of in three days or so, had you bought from a local bike shop. Was the discounted price worth it?
Old 10-10-11, 10:28 PM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
Having only purchased two BD bikes, and having both arrive with minor to considerable damage, I can relate to the OP's post. The only difference is that I limited the number of emails with BD before taking matters into my own hands, and fixed or replaced the damaged items.

One of my LBS bikes happen to arrive damaged, but instead of emails, the LBS just reordered another one, with myself only having to wait an extra couple of days

Old 10-11-11, 01:19 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Reading this thread makes me so glad I didn't choose that route. The extra few dollars paid at my LBS were completely worth it. Thank you for the post.
Old 10-11-11, 01:47 PM
rogerstg
Fred-ish

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Looigi
Executive summary please...
+1.

You'd think that someone that is going to sign onto a bunch of cycling web sites to ***** and moan could at least make it easy to digest. Too long and backward format? WTF?
Old 10-11-11, 06:53 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Didn't notice this was a first post.
Old 10-11-11, 07:26 PM
ljcoffeen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OP here. Original post is meant to be a complete record that can be referenced and hopefully helpful to someone. Neither meant as critique nor support.
Old 10-12-11, 12:44 AM
jeepseahawk
[IMG]https://i4.photobucke

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You got screwed with riding time but Bikesdirect took care of you, glad it worked out.
Old 10-12-11, 12:27 PM
dbruening80

Bikes: '11 Bianchi Infinito 1986 Trek 400 Elance

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Toeslider
This whole thing could have been taken care of in three days or so, had you bought from a local bike shop. Was the discounted price worth it?
+1
Old 10-12-11, 01:22 PM
nathan.johnson

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Allez Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ljcoffeen
OP here. Original post is meant to be a complete record that can be referenced and hopefully helpful to someone. Neither meant as critique nor support.
Did you obtain permission to quote the emails? The writers still own the copyright on them, and if not then posting them here is a copyright violation.
Old 10-12-11, 02:05 PM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Meh... I've been kinda afraid to order off bikesdirect because I was thinking the bike would come like that.. but with that service I think I might risk it anyways.
Old 10-12-11, 05:36 PM
rebel1916

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
I bought a bike from BD. It arrived in perfect condition, I rode it for a while, and a buddy of mine is riding it still. It was good value for the money. Anecdote means nothing.
Old 10-13-11, 10:52 AM
CNY James

Bikes: 2010 Felt F5, 2010 Dawes SST-AL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd agree that it sounds like you should take some beef to UPS and not to BD...
Old 10-13-11, 05:17 PM
Pistard

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am glad you got excellent customer service, a rare thing these days.
Old 04-20-13, 12:45 AM
robble

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sound like BD did what they could to fix the situation.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.