Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Spring-loaded bell unintentional ringing

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-13, 10:09 AM
Zomar
spins pedals

Bikes: 2009 Orange Kilo TT Custom Built Fixed-Gear, 2009 Bianchi Volpe, 1970's Takara Fixed Gear Conversion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, I just bought a crane spring loaded bell (looks like this: https://www.amazon.com/Crane-Karen-Sp...d_sim_sbs_sg_9) and drilled a hole in my stem to mount it like this: https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-s0Uip_wgrg...eBellDone3.jpg

Problem is the spring vibrates constantly as I ride as road shock gets transmitted to the spring and whenever I hit a decent sized bump or a rough patch of road, the spring hammer hits the bell making it "ding". It's very annoying.

I have another bell of a similar design mounted in a similar manner in my tandem and on that bike the bell spring does not vibrate or move significantly when hitting bumps/rough patches and the bell doesnt ding unintentionally.

I can't finger out why my new bell spring moves so much and dings the bell unintentional and my other bell spring hardly moses move at all.

Any advice on how to fix the unintentionally dinging bell? Is it just the nature of the product? The other bell I have that doesnt ding on its own makes me thing it might have to do with how its installed.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 08-01-13, 11:23 AM
Litespeedlouie

Bikes: Litespeed, O'Brien, Specialized, Fuji

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
You may have just found a perfect storm of mounting location, bike vibration, dinger stiffness, etc. I'd try stuffing something inside the dinger spring, like some rubber tubing or a chunk of foam. Or try to find a stiffer replacement spring.
Old 08-01-13, 01:28 PM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
I would find that to be a very inconvenient place for a bell, but how about just bending the spring enough so that bouncing does not cause it to hit the bell? I've actually never seen one of that style, have always used this type, mounting it on the end of the bar so that I can ring it with a quick flip of my little finger. I would suggest similar with that style, on the inside of the drop near the end, so that it just takes a quick swipe from the hood or top to ring it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bell1.jpg (4.4 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by cny-bikeman; 08-01-13 at 01:43 PM.
Old 08-01-13, 01:35 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,982 Times in 1,618 Posts
Yeah, bend it. Or put a spacer on the center threaded piece for more separation.

But drilling your stem ... did you think this through? Looks like it goes through the steer tube also.
Old 08-01-13, 02:20 PM
TampaRaleigh

Bikes: 1986 Raleigh Competition (Restored to Original), 1986 Cannonade SR400 (Updated to Dura Ace 7800)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mine did that too... I rotated the striker 90 degrees so it was parallel to the ground (pointed at the rider) and the ringing stopped.
Old 08-01-13, 03:13 PM
Zomar
spins pedals

Bikes: 2009 Orange Kilo TT Custom Built Fixed-Gear, 2009 Bianchi Volpe, 1970's Takara Fixed Gear Conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The bell is actually installed more like this in the stem extension, rather than through the steerer tube: https://www.renobikeproject.com/2012/...ck-bell-mount/

I don't think the hole drilled in the stem is a safety concern.

Thanks for the suggestions. Bending it wont work... already tried that, spacers probably wont either.. the spring is super flexible and goes all over the place from any vibration... its actually a little dizzying to look down on it. I think I'll try stiffening the spring by filling it with something.