Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

road riding VS. MTB...which is safer?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-13, 11:33 PM
double_stuf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've covered about 5k miles on the road in the last 24 months or so.

I've had so many close calls that they almost don't bother me anymore.

But the most recent one has shaken me up some and made me consider switching to MTB/trails only.

A little old lady pulled out in front of me in broad daylight on a deserted side street. Had i not expected her to do so, i would've broadsided her at 20+ mph.

I understand that an accident like this is basically going to happen if i keep riding.

How many people here have defected from road to mtb/CX? thoughts/love/hate/regrets?

Sorry if repost....i'm new here
Old 12-19-13, 11:50 PM
bikepro

Bikes: Look 585

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If you ride on the road, you must practice "Defensive Riding". You must make yourself as visible as possible and ride as if no one can see you.
Old 12-19-13, 11:56 PM
mLuMaN83
Enjoying Every Mile

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Tarmac Comp

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MTB mishap = broken bones

Road mishap = good probability of death

I used to race Motocross and is was all busted bones, bruises, ect. I wore a neck brace as well. You don't fall much on road so it's usually a car that often will kill you or best case scenario, run you over.

I stay off main roads as much as I can and stick with those back country rides. They are much more of a beautiful ride as well. Also, try to stick with routes where there are often cyclists. Local drivers get used to seeing all the cyclists so they are more aware.
Old 12-19-13, 11:57 PM
double_stuf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikepro
If you ride on the road, you must practice "Defensive Riding". You must make yourself as visible as possible and ride as if no one can see you.
that's the messed up thing. i'm ginormous. was wearing bright colors. in the bike lane. road dead straight. nobody for a mile in either direction. broad daylight
Old 12-20-13, 12:01 AM
double_stuf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mLuMaN83

I used to race Motocross and is was all busted bones, bruises, ect. I wore a neck brace as well. You don't fall much on road so it's usually a car that often will kill you or best case scenario, run you over.

I stay off main roads as much as I can and stick with those back country rides. They are much more of a beautiful ride as well. Also, try to stick with routes where there are often cyclists. Local drivers get used to seeing all the cyclists so they are more aware.
ah a fellow motorcyclist! so yeah, this is sort of a street vs track or MX discussion translated to bicycles.
i have essentially quit riding sportbikes on the street too, (track only) so......

do most of my riding on known cycling routes and on the good sections of the local trails
Old 12-20-13, 12:02 AM
mLuMaN83
Enjoying Every Mile

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Tarmac Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I approach people that are waiting to turn and they are in front of me, I always slow down and give a hand gesture in an attempt to get one back so they know I am there. I try to watch their eyes for contact at least. Royally F's up my Strava segment and pace. Ugh!

But I tell ya, I miss getting gnarly on the MX bike in the trails. My real love... one day we will reunite!

Last edited by mLuMaN83; 12-20-13 at 12:06 AM.
Old 12-20-13, 12:04 AM
double_stuf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I approach people that are waiting to turn and they are in front of me, I always slow down and give a hand gesture in an attempt to get one back so they know I am there. I try to watch their eyes for contact at least.
i do this when forced onto the sidewalk mostly, on the road...both hands on the controls
Old 12-20-13, 12:05 AM
bikepro

Bikes: Look 585

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by double_stuf
that's the messed up thing. i'm ginormous. was wearing bright colors. in the bike lane. road dead straight. nobody for a mile in either direction. broad daylight
You must remember, people are looking for vehicle sized objects. Motorcyclists have the same problem. You are still very small compared to a car or SUV. You can get their attention by waving. I personally have a very bright flashing light on the front and rear. I have few problems like this but occasionally have to slow down or wave.
Old 12-20-13, 12:11 AM
double_stuf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
all comments appreciated. i should've added a poll and included some more info.
Old 12-20-13, 02:01 AM
Lanterne Rogue

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MTB I rely on my own riding skills. On the road I have to trust drivers, which is sometimes terrifying. I wish I could MTB more, but trailheads are a drive from my house and the road is just outside my door.
Old 12-20-13, 03:50 AM
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I suck at MTB, so road is much more safe for me.

In general I think people overestimate the likelihood of getting killed by a car. Not to say it doesn't happen, but if you ride defensively I don't think it's worth worrying about very much.
Old 12-20-13, 03:59 AM
Ice41000

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've covered about 5k miles on the road in the last 24 months or so.

But the most recent one has shaken me up some and made me consider switching to MTB/trails only.

A little old lady pulled out in front of me in broad daylight on a deserted side street. Had i not expected her to do so, i would've broadsided her at 20+ mph.

I understand that an accident like this is basically going to happen if i keep riding.

How many people here have defected from road to mtb/CX? thoughts/love/hate/regrets?

Sorry if repost....i'm new here
I feel that, even thought I crashed more often off road, that road riding is more dangerous, mostly because of the motorized vehicles.
Old 12-20-13, 05:19 AM
RollCNY
Speechless

Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 16 Posts

This is nonsense. Statistics for road cycling deaths are poor, and typically categorized by non-riders, so how they bucket is poor. But the clear ones: 25% of cycling deaths involve alcohol, on the part of the cyclist. Separately, 35ish% involve riding the wrong direction against traffic (but some % of these involved alcohol, so the 2 don't stack). Only 10% involve a hit from behind fatality, which is the one we are most powerless against.

The overwhelming number of road cycling injuries are scrapes, cuts, and broken bones. I have been hit by a car with no damage. Last year, 3 of my friends were in a crash when a woman turned in front of them: 1 broken finger, one broken rib, one broken collarbone.

If you are all going to wring your hands and lament safety, dig for the statistics, or take it to A&S.

Happy holidays!

Last edited by RollCNY; 12-20-13 at 07:01 AM.
Old 12-20-13, 06:01 AM
SmallFront

Bikes: Bullitt Milk Plus with Alfine 11s; Dahon Smooth Hound

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It depends. I use the bike for all-around transport, so I can't just ride trails. With that said, everywhere in the world where I have ridden a bicycle or motorcycle I drive defensively. I try to make eye contact, I will wave if need be, and I will pull over and sometimes wave a car through - if for nothing else, then to show I am a "good sport", if you see what I mean - and I will obviously pull over if there is a narrow spot where I can see that motorists will have a hard time navigating with everything that is happening in the area (i.e. road works, temporary speed bumps and traffic lights, blind corner etc. - often combined to make it difficult for people to consider everything at all time).

Anyway, by riding like this, I feel pretty safe, and I believe I am. However, I don't mind the wait once in a while. Although I like pounding the pedals and I like speed, and I do have rights in traffic, I don't feel like I have to go fast, nor do I feel like relying on the other road users to keep me safe. I try to anticipate people doing ridiculous things, and when I think there is a higher risk I slow down and prepare myself to brake with fingers on both brakes, while considering where I will turn if something happens (considering traffic from behind of course).

I know it may come across as a holier-than-thou attitude, but it isn't. I am well aware that sometimes, **** simply does happen, but I'm trying to minimise risks, not getting a guarantee.
Old 12-20-13, 06:07 AM
SmallFront

Bikes: Bullitt Milk Plus with Alfine 11s; Dahon Smooth Hound

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Come to think of it, I have stopped filtering the traffic (both on motorcycles and bicycles). I just feel that it is an unnecessary risk, that I don't feel is worth it. I am rarely in that much of a hurry.
Old 12-20-13, 06:24 AM
Smiziley
hmm..

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Defected?! More like supplemented.

Mtb and CX are great ways to improve handling skills and otherwise explore terrain and trails that you'd likely not go on. If you have solid fitness from road riding, once you get the feel for cross riding and mountain biking, you can really have fun. Woods are usually warmer than the street and you're not likely to get hit by a car, but you might get bounced off the bike by holes, leaves, roots, rocks, bumps, drops, trees, dogs, squirrels, birds, etc..

You definitely see some cool stuff off road that you'd never see on the street and things happen much faster. If you're not feeling the road, don't be afraid to mix it up.
Old 12-20-13, 06:27 AM
halfspeed

Bikes: are better than yours.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Nobody can answer that question sensibly. The statistics are weak and comparisons between road and MTB are virtually nonexistent. Further, and perhaps more importantly, the relative safety of both is influenced dramatically by where you ride, your skill and your experience. If you're petrified, sit on the couch with a bag of Doritos and a six pack. No risk in that.
Old 12-20-13, 06:35 AM
bykemike 

Bikes: 2017 BMC Roadmachine 01 Enve wheels, Sram red etap,Cinelli Vigorelli single speed, 2009 Cannondale Capo, 2016 trek Domane 6.9, disc and Di2, 2016 Scott Scale 710, 27.5 plus tires and boost rims

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 81 Posts

So true, so true.

As a long time dirtbiker the rule is this: you will always get hurt on a dirt bike but they probably won't kill you. Now street bikes? Very few injuries, lots of serious mayhem if things don't go your way.
Old 12-20-13, 07:07 AM
dmcdam

Bikes: Opus Vivace F1

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
In the last 5 years of road biking I've fallen once and that was a 'forgot to unclip' moment. In the previous 4 years of MTB I was never seriously hurt but had plenty of bruises cuts and scrapes. My legs were a mess a lot of the time.
Old 12-20-13, 07:16 AM
jdon

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by dmcdam
In the last 5 years of road biking I've fallen once and that was a 'forgot to unclip' moment. In the previous 4 years of MTB I was never seriously hurt but had plenty of bruises cuts and scrapes. My legs were a mess a lot of the time.
A good MTB ride requires the letting of a little blood.
Old 12-20-13, 07:23 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts

If you're having that many close calls, you're doing something wrong.

In the case at hand, you should always be ready for people to pull out in front of you. And you should be ready for the right hook. This is a very common situation and if you're ready, there's nothing harrowing about it because you aren't in danger.

Never count on others to do the right thing. People don't see you and if they do, it doesn't register on them that they need to do anything.

My motto (which everyone is probably sick of hearing) is that you should ride like everyone is trying to kill you, but don't take it personally. But it really works. Do that, and you'll be fine.
Old 12-20-13, 07:24 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by RollCNY
This is nonsense. Statistics for road cycling deaths are poor, and typically categorized by non-riders, so how they bucket is poor. But the clear ones: 25% of cycling deaths involve alcohol, on the part of the cyclist. Separately, 35ish% involve riding the wrong direction against traffic (but some % of these involved alcohol, so the 2 don't stack). Only 10% involve a hit from behind fatality, which is the one we are most powerless against.

The overwhelming number of road cycling injuries are scrapes, cuts, and broken bones. I have been hit by a car with no damage. Last year, 3 of my friends were in a crash when a woman turned in front of them: 1 broken finger, one broken rib, one broken collarbone.

If you are all going to wring your hands and lament safety, dig for the statistics, or take it to A&S.

Happy holidays!
+1
Old 12-20-13, 07:50 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Safer? well I have been riding for over 20 yrs I have cracked helmets, have cuts, busted my shoulder, bent steel in the woods, but it takes one bad day on the road and your dead.
Old 12-20-13, 07:55 AM
DinoShepherd
cycle-dog spot

Bikes: Look, Niner, Ellsworth, Norco, Litespeed

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The answer is... It depends.

Been doing both for a long time. Pretty spectacular crashes on dirt and street.

The only for certain is that dirt skills will help keep you alive on the street.

Also, there are varying degrees of risk on both mtb and street riding. Cruising gravel is not the same as taking it down the gravity trails. Just like cruising deserted side roads is not like playing TdF in traffic with 100 of your best ego.fueled, Lycra.clad buddies...
Old 12-20-13, 08:24 AM
99Klein 

Bikes: 99 Klein Quantum, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10 5, Specialized Tarmac Comp, Foundry Thresher, Fuji Sportif

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I get hurt nearly every time I head off road, so for me MTB is more dangerous.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.