Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear > Rides and Races
Reload this Page >

Rides and Races suggestions -

Search
Notices
Rides and Races A place for posting group rides, races, and regional threads for the fixed gear and single speed forum.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-06, 02:52 PM
pitboss
cxmagazine dot com

Bikes: Titus road, Fort CX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

One simple request:

outside of alleycats/races (which have a sticky already), there should only be ONE thread for each region/city. Multiple threads will be merged for organizational purposes.

Thanks

PS> If you have any other suggestions for making this sub-forum a better place, add it below. Thanks again for all the input on what to do with all the city threads. I hope this helps!
Old 10-18-06, 02:56 PM
ryand
dutret has a posse

Bikes: IRO Angus 53, Marinoni Special 54, LMNO Custom Road Bike, Guerciotti TT, Late 60s Bottechia Road, Univega Via Montega beater/polo/rain bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
perhaps it should be called "Regional Rides, Races, and Threads" so that newcomers to the forum will know that they can look there for a thread for the city they are living in.
Old 10-18-06, 02:56 PM
chimblysweep
dc pirate, 4evah.

Bikes: several. blue. fun.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
that doesn't make sense.
many races attract people from multiple cities, and need their own threads to discuss travel and rooming arrangments.

you've already pulled the actual ride-your-bike part off the main forum to "declutter." can we just leave the races the way they are?
Old 10-18-06, 02:57 PM
transplant
this portrait of karma

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
but we can have a thread for individual races, correct?
Old 10-18-06, 02:58 PM
chimblysweep
dc pirate, 4evah.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i dunno, transy. that might start some kind of MAYHEM, DISORDER, CLUTTER, and MADNESS.

utter and sheer madness.
Old 10-18-06, 03:00 PM
spud
i am sure that i hate you

Bikes: 'Cha-ruzu Fosuta Orusan Kein' Fuji Track (2005), Schwinn Tank MTB (?), Fuji Royale (1979)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
how about calling it "useful threads"

and if a thread isnt about pie, beards, pistas, iros, drinking, cops, messenger bags: it gets moved here.
Of Proposition 187
Old 10-18-06, 03:01 PM
transplant
this portrait of karma

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chimblysweep
i dunno, transy. that might start some kind of MAYHEM, DISORDER, CLUTTER, and MADNESS.

utter and sheer madness.
normally i'm all for mayhem. my room is hardly the pinacle of oderly, my mind is cluttered and madness is pervasive in my everyday life.

that said, i think there's a compelling argument to be made for allowing races to have their individual threads.
Old 10-18-06, 03:04 PM
chimblysweep
dc pirate, 4evah.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ooo. i think we should come up with a catalogue system. using Mr. Dewey's clever system incorporated numbers and decimals, i think we can make order where there is none.

we should create a ton of numerical subforums and make everyone file their thread based on dewey subject number. i.e. "chimblysweep threads go here" would be a 920. race reports, 904. and so on.
Old 10-18-06, 03:06 PM
transplant
this portrait of karma

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ooo. i think we should come up with a catalogue system. using Mr. Dewey's clever system incorporated numbers and decimals, i think we can make order where there is none.

we should create a ton of numerical subforums and make everyone file their thread based on dewey subject number. i.e. "chimblysweep threads go here" would be a 920. race reports, 904. and so on.
ohoh, my heart skipped a beat.
Old 10-18-06, 03:07 PM
pitboss
cxmagazine dot com

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by spud
how about calling it "useful threads"

and if a thread isnt about pie, beards, pistas, iros, drinking, cops, messenger bags: it gets moved here.
good call

chimbly - no reason to pump up the drama (there is enough in the ss/fg forum, ya), and I like the idea of the individual 'cats threads. how about this:

races and cats can have their own threads. after the race date, they are merged into the sticky?
Old 10-18-06, 03:09 PM
chimblysweep
dc pirate, 4evah.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
after the race date they have reports in them. then they naturally die off the first page.
no use sorting out the pizza crusts before they disappear into the landfill.

i just,
you know...
why all the moderation? you already segregated. now you wanna clean up too? without giving it a chance? new rules? i don't need to tell you that the forum was the way it was for a long time and we all survived and had relatively happy and productive lives.

drama? i'd call it resistance. i mean, we don't need to ejukashun. i hate when people call objection "drama." more americans aught to be objecting to more bullplop, and encouraging eachother to do so, not trying to tone it down and turn it off.
Old 10-18-06, 03:11 PM
spud

Bikes: 'Cha-ruzu Fosuta Orusan Kein' Fuji Track (2005), Schwinn Tank MTB (?), Fuji Royale (1979)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
that sounds like a good idea, and rename the thread past alleycats; so people don't post in it about new races.
Of Proposition 187
transplant
this portrait of karma

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by [165]
good call

chimbly - no reason to pump up the drama (there is enough in the ss/fg forum, ya), and I like the idea of the individual 'cats threads. how about this:

races and cats can have their own threads. after the race date, they are merged into the sticky?
no drama here, just boredom.

merged into which sticky exactly?

i feel like invdividual race threads serve are meaningful even after the race date. people swap stories, photos, etc. etc. and it's useful to be able to go back and find those same things again. the systems sorts itself out - the current stuff stays near the top as people post and the old stuff falls to the back.
spud

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what you dont eat the pizza crusts?!
Of Proposition 187
Old 10-18-06, 03:12 PM
chimblysweep
dc pirate, 4evah.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i was just thinking about this great episode of Foster's where Harrimon made the friends alphabetically sort their garbage because it "should be" that way.
Old 10-18-06, 03:14 PM
pitboss
cxmagazine dot com

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
that doesn't make sense, josh.
many races attract people from multiple cities, and need their own threads to discuss travel and rooming arrangments.

you've already pulled the actual ride-your-bike part off the main forum to "declutter." can we just leave the races the way they are?
you've?

I asked people for ideas and insight - the majority said it would be a good idea (and I would agree since before two years ago, the SS/FG forum was FAR from the off-topic threadpit that it has become) to put the rides/races/regionals into an area that would remain separate, yet still attached to the SS/FG forum.

If you look at the Forum header (bikeforums landing page), there is a regional section. It was suggested that the regional threads go that way. I asked quite a few people about this as I wanted these threads to remain intact and attached to this forum in some way. But they were not as visible as they should be.

Nothing was pulled, it was given proper facilities.
Old 10-18-06, 03:15 PM
spud

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
we so need to watch more bollywood when you come visit
Of Proposition 187
Old 10-18-06, 03:16 PM
marqueemoon
or tarckeemoon, depending

Bikes: Davidson Impulse, Merckx Titanium AX, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road, Cross Check custom build, On-One Il Pomino, Shawver Cycles cross, Zion 737, Mercian Vincitore, Brompton S1L, Charge Juicer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Post-race there is about as much activity as pre-race though with people posting pics and whatnot. Merging sounds like a lot of work for you anyway. I hardly ever looked at the rides/alleycats/races sticky because it's too much of a jumble.

I don't see anything wrong with each ride/race/'cat having its own thread. The ongoing rides will get bumped up to the top and the one-time events will drop down after everyone has posted the pics, etc...

If multiple posts on the same topic become a problem you could merge them by topic, or maybe just create stickies for the major races/rides.

Just my two cents for whatever it's worth.
pitboss
cxmagazine dot com

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by transplant
no drama here, just boredom.

merged into which sticky exactly?

i feel like invdividual race threads serve are meaningful even after the race date. people swap stories, photos, etc. etc. and it's useful to be able to go back and find those same things again. the systems sorts itself out - the current stuff stays near the top as people post and the old stuff falls to the back.
good idea - how about I lock the sticky (leaving it in place, but nothing more to be added) and then we try you route for a bit?
chimblysweep
dc pirate, 4evah.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
spud:
totally. the bollywood version of pride and prejudice was so the jam. especially the dance segments.

actually, i'm going to egypt/jordan/syria next, so it may have to move farther east. i'm sure egyptian film is equally stimulating, though possibly less dancy.

[165]:
are you sure it's a problem of the forum structure and not the forum readers/posters? i don't think the current decline can be solved with regimentation of content. i think the problem is different.
Old 10-18-06, 03:20 PM
transplant
this portrait of karma

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
good idea - how about I lock the sticky (leaving it in place, but nothing more to be added) and then we try you route for a bit?
i see what you're saying, you're concerned about overlap between the stick and having individual threads? i don't believe the two are necessarily mutually exclusive. the sticky is cool because you can see everything that's happening in one big view. the individual race threads allow people to plan, share, etc. i just think those individual race threads should be allowed to "run their course" and not necessarily be merged/deleted after the race or even some period thereafter.

<edit>
i see the sticky thead as a big wall where people post flyers. if they want more detail about the race, finding a place to stay, for instance, they go to that indivudal race thread
</edit>
Old 10-18-06, 03:20 PM
spud

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
really? that area of the world doesnt interest me much, i've been invited to go trekking in South America and chill in Puerto Rico. I still want to go to Eritrea + Ethiopia and Iceland.
Of Proposition 187
Old 10-18-06, 03:24 PM
pitboss
cxmagazine dot com

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
are you sure it's a problem of the forum structure and not the forum readers/posters? i don't think the current decline can be solved with regimentation of content. i think the problem is different.
I think you know the answer to that.

And the decline was already happening before the other forum sites opened.

ps - can you edit out my name please? thanks
(nevermind - I did it.)
Old 10-18-06, 03:24 PM
pitboss
cxmagazine dot com

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by transplant
i see what you're saying, you're concerned about overlap between the stick and having individual threads? i don't believe the two are necessarily mutually exclusive. the sticky is cool because you can see everything that's happening in one big view. the individual race threads allow people to plan, share, etc. i just think those individual race threads should be allowed to "run their course" and not necessarily be merged/deleted after the race or even some period thereafter.

<edit>
i see the sticky thead as a big wall where people post flyers. if they want more detail about the race, finding a place to stay, for instance, they go to that indivudal race thread
</edit>
indeed - makes sense. it's a go.
Old 10-18-06, 03:39 PM
jrowe

Bikes: De Rosa Corum, custom Kalavinka, Bianchi RC Pista, Cannondale MT Track, Workcycles Gr8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great idea 165.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.