Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

It is okay to walk up steep hills

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

It is okay to walk up steep hills

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-22, 09:32 AM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
Originally Posted by Bmach
If you need to walk, walk! Keep riding keep going up hills and you will get better on them.
i figure if i walk my bike up the hill, i still got it to the top under my own power.
Old 11-06-22, 04:03 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Bike Calculator gives 9 mph for 800W with a 70 kg rider on a 15 kg bike. Speed drops to 8 mph for an 80 kg rider. That part is pretty simple physics and I see your point. 5 mph would seem slow for a genuine 800W output

In my limited experience of e-bikes they tend to stall out on very steep climbs, so probably not contributing 350W at that very low cadence. The above physics certainly suggests he is not making 800W total. Seems more like 500W unless weight is very high. My friend has an e-bike (Orbea road bike) and his definitely struggles on gradients above 20%. While he can easily cruise away from me on a typical 7 or 8% slope, I can actually pass him on very steep slopes above 20%.
i struggle on gradients above 20 so i know how the e-bike feels.
Likes For spelger:
Old 11-06-22, 04:52 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I had a friend who came with me bicycle camping near Matachewan, Ontario, Canada. After climbing one of the dirt/gravel road hills he said that he'd walk the next one. After walking the next hill he then said he'd ride the next one no matter how slowly as riding was easier than trying to push that loaded bicycle up the dirt/gravel hill.

As far as I'm concerned though, I think it's better to walk up a hill than risk a heart attack trying to ride up it if the gearing or fitness level are not up to that gradient. Besides, you just might see something interesting that you wouldn't see if you were riding.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 11-11-22, 02:12 PM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT
Aren't the biggest hills in Windsor the overpasses over the 401/expressway?
Quite correct.

There's a smaller hill at our Malden Park, and where I bike at Heron Park in east windsor.The old dump. It's actually quite a nice park. Great for people like myself who have no interest in jogging but would like to get our heart rate to the next level walking. On a bike its easy enough to get my heart rate up on a flat road with a taller gear and more muscle.

Last edited by xroadcharlie; 11-11-22 at 02:16 PM.
Old 11-11-22, 03:14 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
What I find funny about this thread is the idea that people need to be told it's ok to walk up the hill.

It's your ride, if it's ok with you, it's nobody else's business.

That being said, jumping off a cliff is not ok unless you're a hang glider.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-11-22, 05:12 PM
Brett A
Word.

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Orbea Oiz XCountry Bike, Specialized Roubaix, Borealis Echo Fat Bike for Winter, many others out in the barn.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 51 Posts
I've got my touring bike geared so low, it's easier to pedal than push; low of 15.7 gear inches. Still, if I head out without training I'll get off and push at the end of a long day. It uses different muscles and that can feel like a relief. I really don't care what people think. And I always tour alone, so there's no issue with others needing to wait.
Likes For Brett A:
Old 11-13-22, 07:06 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts
I walk a lot of hills. The last one was on a little exploratory side jaunt up unpaved Grotzman Rd. It was only a few hundred feet long, but it was 20% or more grade, rutted, and covered in loose dirt and river gravel. I rode down, smashing my squealing rim brakes to keep me around 7-10 mph on that loose, rutted surface with a snug turn at the steepest part. I kept expecting to go down as we bounced and hopped, but my butt far behind the Princess' saddle helped offset the weight of my heart in my throat and I made it to the bottom. I'm certain that 26" wheels factored in. I probably could have walked it down, but I there was a risk I'd slip and fall; when I fall I tend to sprain or break things, so I actually felt safer on the bike.
Old 09-06-23, 01:56 PM
HectorStorm

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 19 Posts
If a hill gets the better of me, I usually stop for 3-4 minutes and then go again, a bit more refreshed. My bike has fairly low gears (28 front, 31 rear).

I'm not a natural climber. My bike, myself and the gear weighs more than 100KG sometimes, and I'm a recreational cyclist on a hybrid doing less than 1,000 miles a year. I have quite a few short but sometimes steep hills around where I live. Just for fun one day, I decided to go to one of the worst hills in my region, a 650ft climb in one mile (avg. 12%, 15%+ for half a mile, with the middle reaching 20%). By the second half I was gasping and wheezing like crazy, practically falling over the handlebars, mashing the pedals around at barely 35RPM with severe tunnel vision. I think some of the people around me thought I was about to fall off and die any second. Somehow, I completed the hill, but I felt like simply falling off into the verge would be far more pleasant than riding to the top. Don't think anyone should feel ashamed if they had to walk up that hill.
Old 09-06-23, 06:12 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
Originally Posted by adlai
I feel like so much engineering goes into making it faster to climb hills. From ebike systems to lightweight frames, to the gearing drive train systems.

It's okay to just walk up the hill. If you are pedaling up a hill you're also fighting the rotational force backwards so oftentimes it makes more sense from a physics perspective to just walk up the hill.
No, it’s not okay. Yes, we all do it from time to time.
Old 09-07-23, 08:49 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
I don't even have a choice now, riding the GreenSpeed Anura. If I had to push it any distance I wouldn't know how. The upside is that when my legs won't go any further I can just grab the brakes and stretch my legs and relax them and catch my breath for a minute and then start again.

There's a lot of really steep road around here but most of the hills (ravines, mostly) aren't very long. I keep going, and I push myself, like deciding I won't stop to rest until I can get in that patch of shade up ahead.

The delightful thing is that my comp tells me that even at my slowest, I'm usually climbing at about 3 to 4 mph, which I know is faster than I could get up those things on foot.
Old 09-07-23, 10:57 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts
I would only walk up a hill if I had a broken leg.

Old 09-07-23, 11:09 PM
macattack71

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale SuperSix 3, 1987 Raleigh Technium 440

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 16 Posts
I haven't walked up a hill since I changed from 11-25 to 12-30 cassette with my compact crankset. I've got a hilly 51-mile ride next month I am training for.
Old 09-08-23, 12:09 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
A couple weeks ago I was passed by a dog walker on the hill I live on. I was zig zagging to an extreme not engaging with the elevation, was easier than walking. was hurt and walking would have been harder
Old 09-08-23, 03:41 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,868 Times in 3,013 Posts
It’s definitely NOT okay for me to walk up a hill and I never have. Been close to throwing the towel in a few times on severe grades, but always managed to push through the pain. That’s all part of the challenge for me. My main riding buddy has the same mentality and it helps us both. I’m not a great climber (too big) but I really love the challenge and actively seek out the biggest climbing challenges.
Old 09-08-23, 05:25 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18422 Post(s)
Liked 15,570 Times in 7,335 Posts
When I was in elementary school I had to walk my bike to school 20 miles each way up a uphill in the snow.
Old 09-08-23, 06:26 AM
spclark 

Bikes: 1972 Motobecane Grand Record, 2022 Kona Dew+

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by macattack71
I haven't walked up a hill since I changed from 11-25 to 12-30 cassette with my compact crankset. I've got a hilly 51-mile ride next month I am training for.
Not training but neither am I looking to dismount & walk up some pretty steep, short sections of road where I like to ride.

Why I'm endeavoring to find components suitable for swapping a 24t BIG in back for a 28t or maybe even BIGGER. Got longer-caged DR snagged this week, new chain too, one (maybe two?) FW's inbound shortly with BIG cogs wearing teeth that ought to help.

We'll see....
Old 09-08-23, 06:35 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
When I was in elementary school I had to walk my bike to school 20 miles each way up a uphill in the snow.
... barefoot?
Old 09-08-23, 07:13 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18422 Post(s)
Liked 15,570 Times in 7,335 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
... barefoot?
I walked on my hands while pushing the bike with my feet. No gloves.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 09-08-23, 09:12 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
When I had a coach, he would get pissed because my power and HR would be too high on hills for the workout he prescribed.

He told me to "walk them"

No shame in my ego for walking a very steep hill. SOmewhere around 3 mph, I considere walking.
Old 09-08-23, 09:15 AM
flan48

Bikes: Cannondale Quick 2

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Bmach
If you need to walk, walk! Keep riding keep going up hills and you will get better on them.
Big +1!

Best regards
Old 09-08-23, 06:50 PM
macattack71

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale SuperSix 3, 1987 Raleigh Technium 440

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by spclark
Not training but neither am I looking to dismount & walk up some pretty steep, short sections of road where I like to ride.

Why I'm endeavoring to find components suitable for swapping a 24t BIG in back for a 28t or maybe even BIGGER. Got longer-caged DR snagged this week, new chain too, one (maybe two?) FW's inbound shortly with BIG cogs wearing teeth that ought to help.

We'll see....
I've got a bum left knee, eventually fails to PFPS. Makes climbing difficult. Originally, I went with an 11-28 cassette, wasn't enough for the rides I was wanting to do. I may go to 11-speed and get an 11-34 cassette. I remember walking up a hill of the Vino Fondo ride here one year. Long ride with lots of steep climbs, at least for the area. Never again.
Old 09-08-23, 10:20 PM
raceboy

Bikes: One of each: Road, Hybrid, Trekking

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 53 Posts
[QUOTE=PeteHski;23009158]It’s definitely NOT okay for me to walk up a hill and I never have. Been close to throwing the towel in a few times on severe grades, but always managed to push through the pain. That’s all part of the challenge for me. My main riding buddy has the same mentality and it helps us both. I’m not a great climber (too big) but I really love the challenge and actively seek out the biggest climbing challenges.

Ahh, the good old days. I used to have this attitude but my arthritic knees have been failing me more and more over the last year. Those stabbing pains can sap your climbing enthusiasm pretty quick! Soon I will have to get at least one and eventually two bionic knees and hope to return to the steep climbs and century rides of yore.
Old 09-09-23, 06:38 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
As far as I'm concerned though, I think it's better to walk up a hill than risk a heart attack trying to ride up it if the gearing or fitness level are not up to that gradient.
This. I hate walking in cleats and I hate pushing a bike (though when I ride heavily loaded I use two-bolt recessed cleats so that doesn't apply) but I Really hate having heart attacks. When I even start to feel like my death might be approaching, I will walk ... or even sit. Laugh away at how weak I am ... I'd rather live and be laughed at.
Old 09-09-23, 07:02 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
It's perfectly fine to walk up hills. I look on it as a form of cross-training. I have one route which involves carrying my bike up a long flight of stairs.
Old 09-09-23, 07:25 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,868 Times in 3,013 Posts
Originally Posted by raceboy

Ahh, the good old days. I used to have this attitude but my arthritic knees have been failing me more and more over the last year. Those stabbing pains can sap your climbing enthusiasm pretty quick! Soon I will have to get at least one and eventually two bionic knees and hope to return to the steep climbs and century rides of yore.
If I get to the point where I’m forced to walk a significant number of hills then I’m getting an e-road bike. I don’t mind a nice walk, but not when I’m out biking.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.