Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Battery life of the Garmin Edge 130 plus?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-24, 07:13 PM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 72 Posts

I currently use the older 130 non plus and the battery seems to be on its last leg. It will die after about 1.5 hours when fully charged.
I like the small size and don’t need anything else feature wise and was thinking about getting the newer 130 plus. Heck I don’t even use most of the features on my 130.
Any 130 plus owners out there that have some real life experience on how long the battery lasts when fully charged?
I like to stay with Garmin because I use the same app with my watch.
Thanks.
Old 01-05-24, 04:04 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
I have the 130 Plus and it will last for a six hour ride. And that's using the optional speed,cadence and HR sensors. I should note, I do not use routing via files loaded onto it. It's my first GPS cycling computer and if it broke today I'd buy another one. Everything I need and nothing I don't.
Old 01-05-24, 09:50 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Are you using the backlighting 100% of the time? That eats up battery quick. On the monochrome screen of my old Edge 500 I could easily adjust the viewing angle of the device to my eyes and see the readout without any backlighting. Go into your settings and disable the backlight or try the setting for just when a button is pushed or message pops up.

Though if you are riding at night or in the dark of the morning you need your backlighting. But perhaps you could get use to pushing a button when you want to look at it.

If it's not due to backlighting, then make sure your charger is really charging it completely or better, it's time for a new device.

Last edited by Iride01; 01-05-24 at 09:55 AM.
Old 01-08-24, 04:49 PM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

I never use the backlighting although I am riding in the dark quite a bit. It shows 4 bars when charged but depletes within 2 hours or less. I assume the battery is not holding a charge anymore for a longer time.
Old 01-09-24, 07:30 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,927 Times in 4,160 Posts
I loved Loved LOVED my 130 but infuriated at crappy battery life. I used all the tricks to try to extend life but it would still die prematurely.

I ended up getting a 530. I honestly don’t need all the fancy features but was concerned the 130 plus only had slightly better battery life. And I sometimes do longer rides like centuries and occasionally even longer.
Old 01-10-24, 09:43 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
I loved Loved LOVED my 130 but infuriated at crappy battery life. I used all the tricks to try to extend life but it would still die prematurely.

I ended up getting a 530. I honestly don’t need all the fancy features but was concerned the 130 plus only had slightly better battery life. And I sometimes do longer rides like centuries and occasionally even longer.
Identical experience here.

Now my wife has a 130+

My sense is its battery does last longer.

I also have an unused 3rd party 130 battery replacement.
Old 01-10-24, 10:17 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
Bottom line on the 130 is it's a small unit with a small battery, stated life is only 12 hrs, compered to 35 for the much larger units. Only solution is charge it up after every use, or buy a bigger unit - 840 or so if really long life is important.
Old 01-10-24, 10:56 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
I don't know about the Edge 130, but many Garmin Edges today don't turn off. They just go to sleep. I think they poll every so often to check in with the phone app or if on wifi then with GarminConnect to check for updates. I have after fully charging my Edge 530, found it at a low charge state when waking it up for use after going a week or two without use.

Just pushing the power button will put the newer Garmin Edges in sleep mode. Holding the power button down will bring up a menu with the option to turn it off as well as reset. So if the Edge 130 is one of these and the OP is going some time between rides, then it might be the battery is simply draining between the rides. Charging just before the ride might give a longer ride time if that is what is needed. As well, use the menu option to actually turn it off after charging it.
Old 01-10-24, 11:34 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
Showing up late here, sorry. I am THE total fanboy of the 130+. I've had it since mid 2020, soon after it was released. I have not seen any observable degradation of the rechargeable battery (yet), and it definitely meets my expectations. I just found this handy chart from Garmin, and I'd say it's accurate.
Old 01-10-24, 11:50 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Originally Posted by Iride01
I don't know about the Edge 130, but many Garmin Edges today don't turn off. They just go to sleep. I think they poll every so often to check in with the phone app or if on wifi then with GarminConnect to check for updates. I have after fully charging my Edge 530, found it at a low charge state when waking it up for use after going a week or two without use.

Just pushing the power button will put the newer Garmin Edges in sleep mode. Holding the power button down will bring up a menu with the option to turn it off as well as reset. So if the Edge 130 is one of these and the OP is going some time between rides, then it might be the battery is simply draining between the rides. Charging just before the ride might give a longer ride time if that is what is needed. As well, use the menu option to actually turn it off after charging it.
My 1030 and 1040 non solar do turn off. You press and hold the power button until the screen displays the Power Off button, press that and the device turns off. It is somewhat annoying that the devices power on when you plug in to charge.
Old 01-16-24, 05:47 PM
Harhir

The 130 is getting even worse. We have had freezing temps in the past few days. Fully charged (shows 4 bars) but dies within 15-30 minutes in the cold. I am debating now between the 830 and the 1030. I think I prefer the 830 because of its smaller size.
Old 01-16-24, 06:41 PM
Steve B.

Look at the 1030 Plus, I think thats still being sold. Not sure you would find a 1030.

Dont worry about size. You don’t really notice after a few days use.