Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What is happening with bicycle tire prices?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What is happening with bicycle tire prices?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-24, 10:48 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Tell that to the purchaser of a Cinelli S.C. in 1979 with full Super Record Group, Seta Tubulars, etc. Nothing has changed other than that, at present, we have much higher disposable income than in those magical days.
Yeah, I certainly couldn’t afford high-end bikes in the 80s. I also don’t remember anyone having more than 1 family car back then. Obviously depends a lot on individual circumstances and location though.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 03-19-24, 12:29 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
Originally Posted by bboy314
This conversation kind of ignores that we’re talking about high end road tires, and many more affordable options exist.
you do get what you pay for and after riding high end tires I would never go back to lower end tires

but shopping sales is key

also look at source like UK bike shops two gp5000 with tubes come out at 65 per tire with shipping https://www.merlincycles.com/en-us/c...ir-129803.html

bike tires direct has gp5000 for $70 (for tubed model) or $85 for Tubeless

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 03-19-24, 01:13 PM
WaveyGravey

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 88 Posts
I stick with Gatorskins. Their prices seem to be staying about $55 on Amazon.
Old 03-19-24, 05:06 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
And its not just the price. The quality of the tires, even with respectable manufacturers, is questionable.

I had to send a new Passela tire back when I noticed its wire bead was exposed. I never saw anything like that in the old days...
That is one tire out of thousands and who knows how few tires back in "the old days". Not a good sample size at all. In terms of price $80 is correct for a GP5K (and really hasn't changed over 4+ years) nothing has really changed. You might find something on sale once and while but that again is not a good sample for pricing.

Manufacturing defects happen for any number of reasons for pretty much any major manufacturer sometimes something might slip out of the factory unintentionally or they had a bad batch it is part of normal manufacturing. So many variables involved you cannot really say much about anything other than that. Certainly if Panaracer had done a recall on the Pasella then it would be ground for saying there is a quality issue but simply because one tire was bad means only that and nothing else can really be gleaned from it.
Old 03-19-24, 05:33 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Good lord- it was mentioned already and the thread should have died right then - REI has basically msrp pricing.
If you buy a tire from REI, it had better be because you are in person and need it right away. In any other scenario, buy the tire online for 25-40% less.

This is no different from seeing Conti tires at full msrp in bike shops too. Buy one of you need it right away. Otherwise, spend 5 minutes searching the internet and save.

Shut it down now.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 03-19-24, 05:40 PM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick
I order from Bike24 sometimes. They have doubled their shipping cost since 2022 but still come out cheaper than the place you had a problem with.
I checked Bike24 a couple of nights ago looking for GP5000'S. They said "this item cannot ship to the US". Not sure sure if it was just a blip, or a new policy.

Last edited by stevel610; 03-19-24 at 06:43 PM.
Likes For stevel610:
Old 03-19-24, 05:41 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
That is one tire out of thousands...
Sure... I get it. And I certainly would not want to debate the factors of statistical insignificance. After all I only had to return one of the six Pasela tires tires I had bought.

Every one of us needs to closely inspect any tire we mount regardless of its age, wear, or manufacture...
Old 03-19-24, 06:43 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 1,744 Times in 1,015 Posts
Yep, I am glad I picked up back up tires when I did, the price was very good and I bought two sets so I would have spares on the Pirelli's I run if needed. When I checked their site a couple of weeks ago, they have doubled in price at the place I was buying them. I wonder if this is due to Pirelli making in Italy now versus China.

Old 03-19-24, 07:39 PM
dmark 

Bikes: 68 SS, 72 Fuji Finest, 72 PX-10, 77 Pana Pro 7000, 84 Pinnarello Treviso NR, 84 Trek 520, 88 Project KOM, 90 Trek 750, 91 Trek 930

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Part of the pricing is seasonal with spring arriving. I waited until August 2023 to buy a pair of GP5000 at $50 each last year. As a practicing cheapskate this is the first time I bought a premium tire and the GP5000 is definitely a noticeable improvement in ride.
I rationalized as since I got a great deal on my Lemond Zurich the bike deserved them.
(riding 10spd's since the 70's always bought cheapest model name brand tire eg Specialized, Michelin etc)
Old 03-19-24, 07:43 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 275 Posts
stevel610: Bike24 doesn't ship some brands that are on there sight. They do have live inventory, so if you order the last one it will ship to you. They use DHL to USPS. The slow part is usually at our end. I have had items show up in one to four weeks. I order from them primarily due to the availability of the items I am looking for and the price. I order Schwalbe tires and Rohloff specific items mostly.
Likes For Rick:
Old 03-19-24, 07:52 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18421 Post(s)
Liked 15,568 Times in 7,334 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Good lord- it was mentioned already and the thread should have died right then - REI has basically msrp pricing.
If you buy a tire from REI, it had better be because you are in person and need it right away.
You can save 15% on a full price item if you’re a member and use their credit card. Member Sale is also going on now. 20% off a full price item. You won’t get the dividend, but you will still earn points for using the card. But yeah; REI is usually not the cheapest option,
Old 03-19-24, 07:57 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 263 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
I bought stuffs from them 4 times and never had any issues. What was your specific issue?
I could not finalize an order, despite checking all their boxes and loading all necessary info.
With a few of you offering encouragement, I placed an order today for several tires, chains, bar tape, tubes. $318 shipped!
Great prices, but they recoup with a hefty shipping cost of $62. No VAT or sales tax, so perhaps the gubmint will zap me later.

Nevertheless, even the lowest tire prices appear 30% higher than my last crop from three years ago. Elephant in the room = inflation.
Old 03-19-24, 08:29 PM
HelpSingularity 

Bikes: 1974 Masi GC, 1982 Trek 728 (aka 720), 1992 Trek Multitrack 750

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 140 Posts
After over 50 years of purchasing and using bicycle tires (including Clement Seta, Extra Seta, Campionato del Mondo Seta and all sorts of wired-on tires over the decades) I tell anyone (who will actually listen to me, which is far and few between ) that we live in the golden age of bicycle tires.
The suppleness, the puncture protection, the rolling resistance, (have not tried tubeless) and just general longevity are all off the charts.
Stuff costs, inflation is off the charts.
I would not go back to the old days (including costs) for nothing.
Likes For HelpSingularity:
Old 03-19-24, 09:02 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by roadcrankr
even the lowest tire prices appear 30% higher than my last crop from three years ago. Elephant in the room = inflation.
You are telling me you used to buy Continental GP5000's for ~$36 3 years ago? I rather doubt that.
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 03-19-24, 09:15 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

You are telling me you used to buy Continental GP5000's for ~$36 3 years ago? I rather doubt that.
I bought gp5k 25mm tires on Feb 26 '21 for $41.95 per tire from BikeTiresDirect/WesternBikeworks.
That isn't $36 per tire, but it isn't far off.

Side note- the tires have been awesome. The helmet was awful and was immediately sent back. Terrible retention cage design that moved on its own.

ETA- the tires were advertised back then as $79.95 msrp.

Last edited by mstateglfr; 03-19-24 at 09:31 PM.
Old 03-19-24, 09:24 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18421 Post(s)
Liked 15,568 Times in 7,334 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I bought gp5k 25mm tires on Feb 26 '21 for $41.95 per tire from BikeTiresDirect/WesternBikeworks.
That isn't $36 per tire, but it isn't far off.

Side note- the tires have been awesome. The helmet was awful and was immediately sent back. Terrible retention cage design that moved on its own.
Interesting. My Mojo Cubed stays in place, but the ventilation is pretty bad. I read that after I bought it. I kept it to use as a cool/cold weather and commuting helmet. I paid the same price you did.
Old 03-19-24, 09:29 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Interesting. My Mojo Cubed stays in place, but the ventilation is pretty bad. I read that after I bought it. I kept it to use as a cool/cold weather and commuting helmet. I paid the same price you did.
The piece that adjusts how high or low the back of the helmet sits had to tension to it. It's usually a piece of plastic with a bunch of teeth and you can slide the retention cage up or down with some resistance due to the teeth.
This thing had no resistance. You could set the cage before a ride and when you put it on for your next ride, it would move and you would have to adjust the height to fit once again. Repeat.
Really odd. I otherwise liked the fit and finish.
Old 03-19-24, 10:02 PM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 333 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottCommutes
Here's a wacky analogy because I'm in a wacky mood:'

Your local garbage man has probably learned over the years the exact cycles of the trash collection industry. He knows there are easy days and hard days, and I imagine he can predict them quite accurately based on a myriad of observations - the economy, the weather, the season, how the holidays and sports line up, the start of school, the length of the days - who knows what else. He doesn't tell you what the easy days are going to be, because it isn't any of your business.

So too with everything bike - it's a cyclical business. Prices and profits go up, prices and profits go down. They don't need to tell you when or why. Just like the garbage guys will grab the extra hours at the coffee shop when they know they can, the bike companies will grab extra profits when they know they can.
As part of a court case against amazon, in the past year it was disclosed that they have algorithms, not only to constantly compare prices to others, but to automatically probe the upper price limit, raise prices, see if people will pay it, if not, bring the price back down.

Ironically, amazon has saved me a ton of money on older generation bike parts. However, from things learned on another thread, my own experience, and Zero Friction Cycling, I've come to learn that my 8-speed chains are junk, I thought they would wear better than thinner chains, except now manufacturers are using best quality on 10/11/12 speed chains, and softer metal with no surface treatments on their lower speed chains. So that explains the $10 sale price (reduced from $17).

I'm careful about buying used rubber, looking close at age, but I just bought two tires at my LBS, look like takeoffs from new, perhaps a couple miles on them, rubber looks fresh, $5 each. And a 6-way spoke wrench for $2, checked, still good sizing of the slots on nipples.
Old 03-20-24, 04:26 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
Not only getting more expensive but more complicated as well. I went to buy some new tyres for my mountain bike a few months ago and felt quite overwhelmed by all the different compounds and options. Even after deciding to fit Maxxis Minions and choosing the size there were still two different tread patterns and numerous compounds available. The last time I bought MTB tyres (Schwalbe Nobby Nics) I don't recall there being any options other than size to choose from.
Old 03-20-24, 05:51 AM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by roadcrankr
You experienced success with bikeinn? Great prices listed, but I could never finalize an order. Seems like a scam to me.
Originally Posted by big john
I bought from them twice recently. Good prices and no problems. I found out about them because they had stuff nobody else did.
I bought stuffs from them 4 times and never had any issues. What was your specific issue?
Originally Posted by NVFlinch
Always had good luck with them. Most orders seem to come from the Netherlands, so a bit of shipping time to be had. Definitely not a scam. In fact, I have one order from them now that arrived in Los Angeles customs, and is being transfered to USPS as we speak/post.
FWIW, last summer I tried to buy a rack from them which was not easy to get in the US. I chose the "USPS" shipping which is in fact SpringGDS (courier in Netherlands, that is why orders seem to come from Netherlands) with the final delivery by USPS. A month after the ordrer date (no problem with that, I understand that I chose the budget shipping) a delivery was attempted and USPS tracking said "notice left". There was no notice, and I also received the following email from tradeinn:

email from tradeinn

I came to my USPS station, showed them the printout of the tracking history from usps.com and they could not find the package saying it probably had not reached their station yet. It was returned to sender as described in the email above, tracking was updated the same day saying a required number of delivery attempts had been made and the package was being returned to sender. This is what happened. One delivery attempt, no notice left, no chance to pick up the package at the USPS station.

I could think it was just my experience unless it was stated otherwise in the email from tradeinn. Why are they using this courier?
They also had a DHL shipping option, which was more expensive.

Not a scam, I got money back.
Old 03-20-24, 08:30 AM
Rick

Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 275 Posts
csport: Although USPS has never returned one of my international shipments to sender. They have put them on the wrong mail truck to another city and also delivered them across town to the wrong street # even though the correct address is clearly labeled. I am currently waiting for a package with a Tubus Grand Expedition Rack and some Schwalbe tires. I used to use my bank to order international orders but I noticed the service charge on an order just over 400 euros was over $35. I tried my credit union on my next order and on an order over 600 euros the charge was $2.35.
Old 03-20-24, 08:43 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 234 Posts
Everything has gone up. Been to a grocery store lately?

I always look for sales, even if I don't need them. Chains and tires will keep.

But $89 for tire, $198 is really not terrible considering they last me a year. My brother pays that for one round of golf, and that doesn't include all the Titleist balls he hits in the water.
Likes For bblair:
Old 03-20-24, 09:30 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by bblair
But $89 for tire, $198 is really not terrible considering they last me a year.
I don't know how people get their tires to last so long. I get maybe 3-4 months on the rear.

Old 03-20-24, 09:34 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 1,885 Times in 1,084 Posts

last week (3/13/2024) they had a one day sale @ 30% off

Last edited by t2p; 03-20-24 at 09:40 AM.
Old 03-20-24, 09:40 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 1,885 Times in 1,084 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
I don't know how people get their tires to last so long. I get maybe 3-4 months on the rear.
you ride too much
Likes For t2p:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.