Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Favorite small pump - not hand

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-24, 03:27 PM
AirPhantomPhoto

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

OKay, so I saw where someone started a thread but it seems it was relating to old fashioned hand pumps. But I was looking at getting an airmoto electric pump.

Something I can throw in my pickup with my battery jumper in case I need to pump my truck tires or my trek tires when I take the bike. I just got a topeak trunk rack/bag so I got the room, I'm loathe to put more on my frame as its a step through & I dont want to kick stuff off (bad leg/hip currently makes it hard)

Does anyone have hands on experience with the airmoto? Or something comparable?
Old 03-29-24, 09:17 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,868 Times in 3,013 Posts
It looks good, except for the 1.25 lb weight if you are going to carry it around on the bike.
Old 03-29-24, 09:38 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
I'm not familiar with the Airmoto brand, specifically, but it seems that there are a multitude of small, electric air pumps on the market right now. They all seem to be pretty similar.

For a little while, I had a Ridgid 18V cordless inflator set up with a Silca presta chuck. It worked fine, but I got tired of the noise, and went back to using a floor pump. I also have a Fanttik X8 small, portable inflator that I got for cheap with a discount code, but I don't really use it.

Last edited by Eric F; 03-29-24 at 09:43 AM.
Old 03-29-24, 09:45 AM
ScottCommutes

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 175 Posts
Does your vehicle have a 12v cigarette lighter outlet? Most portable pumps are wired for 110VAC (like for a gymnasium) or 12VDC for roadside emergency inflation. There are very nice battery pumps, but they are a whole different animal.
Old 03-29-24, 12:09 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
Most 12 volt pumps are going to operate pretty slow. I am not searching for your airmoto specifications. Talking generically.

I have a small air compressor that runs on 110 volts, I think that is a half horse motor. I have used that for truck tires. But a half horse motor at 12 volts is a lot of amperage and a motor of that size at that low a voltage is not designed to run very long, would get pretty warm. I do not even know if you can buy an air pump with that big a motor that is 12 volt.

In my vehicle I carry an air pump that cost maybe $5 at harbor freight that runs on 12 volt, but have never tried it. I also have a muscle powered pump in my vehicle. My vehicle spare tire is inconvenient to reach underneath, have not checked the air in it for a year, I expect that if I have to use that tire, I will probably spend 15 to 30 minutes of pumping up the tire to be able to use it.

Bicycle tires? I use a muscle powered pump. At home I would spend more time to dig out my half horse power compressor than to use the hand pump, so the hand pump is the winner for bike tires.

If you want to use a 12 volt air compressor on a tire that is mounted on your car, make sure you have an extension cord for it that is long enough to reach to every tire from the nearest 12 volt outlet.
Old 03-29-24, 02:16 PM
Rick

Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 399 Times in 276 Posts
AirPhantomPhoto Posted: OKay, so I saw where someone started a thread but it seems it was relating to old fashioned hand pumps. But I was looking at getting an airmoto electric pump.
I recently researched portable compressors, battery and 12 volt. The airmoto is inadequate to the task. If you want a portable for both car and bicycle you need to up the ante. If it is going to be hooked up to your car look at what the 4 wheel drive enthusiasts carry. If you want a battery unit that has the ability to bring your pickup tire from flat then the minimum would be the
. The link reviews several units. The Milwaukee fared the best and will handle a fairly high pressured bicycle tire easily.
Old 04-01-24, 06:18 PM
AirPhantomPhoto

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Interesting info about the airmoto & other powered air compressors & such. I keep seeing the airmoto constantly being advertised on my FB leads so thats why I mentioned that one, says it can pump up everything from sports balls to vehicle tires.
They make the ones like the airmoto look like hand held units, I've seen others on amazon of various ratings & price points. I have that ryobi pump currently but too big to carry on my bike

Guess I'll be rethinking my options then, reason I was trying to avoid a handpump is, upcoming wrist surgery & former shoulder injury with possible surgery.

Thanks for the input everyone
Old 04-01-24, 06:33 PM
Rick

Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 399 Times in 276 Posts
AirPhantomPhoto : If you want to carry an electric pump on your bicycle, then there several like Fumpa, Flextail, Crank Brothers and Cycplus to name a few. Some of them make several models and you should research them to try to see if they are up to the task.
Likes For Rick:
Old 04-01-24, 07:20 PM
AirPhantomPhoto

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
thank you, was just looking for ideas to look into. Dont exactly have the money to throw at stuff I may or may not like sight unseen
And local bike shop is small & limited stuff to trek/bontiger mostly, which I dont fault them for.

I'll look into the stuff you mentioned, thanks for the suggestions.