Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Martelly bikes, new and vintage steel.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-18, 07:05 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2326 Post(s)
Liked 4,997 Times in 1,780 Posts

Just throwing this out there since I've never heard of them. I recently picked up a very nice bike that was built by them in 1985. They have been quite helpful and responsive as I try and sort out the history on the bike.

He mentioned that they still have vintage steel frames available for selling so I figured I'd start a post to mention that in case anyone is interested. It seems they have a good history with the racing pros and better known in the Europe area.

Some nice looking new rides too and the prices don't seem that crazy.

Eddy Martens is the owner and has been real cool by responding to my questions.

Here's the site. Martelly Bikes
Old 11-29-18, 11:20 AM
Vintage_Cyclist

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 176 Posts
Their Retro model would be right at home here.

Likes For Vintage_Cyclist:
Old 11-29-18, 11:53 AM
Shrevvy 

Bikes: 77 Trek TX900, 81.5 Trek 950, 83 Trek 970, 84 Schwinn Peloton, 88 Schwinn Premis, 85 Pinarello Montello, 88 Lemond Pro, more...

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 284 Times in 136 Posts
What are the components and price for the retro? I couldn't find an english option on their site.
Old 11-29-18, 12:26 PM
The_Joe

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Shrevvy
What are the components and price for the retro? I couldn't find an english option on their site.

Not much info. I was able to get a Google translated version of the site but it's just one sentence that says they're restored bikes. Perhaps old stock they've had lying around as they're all branded Martelly. No prices.
Old 11-29-18, 02:58 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
Originally Posted by The_Joe
Not much info. I was able to get a Google translated version of the site but it's just one sentence that says they're restored bikes. Perhaps old stock they've had lying around as they're all branded Martelly. No prices.
---

Chrome browser will offer to translate for you and it is reasonably complete and accurate translation.

If you do not want a Chrome browser on your device most public libraries now offer them on their machines.

-----
Old 11-29-18, 03:16 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,611 Times in 1,765 Posts
Martens is well-known in these parts as a builder of high quality frames, albeit not as well as he might have been if his father had opted for investing in his own brand instead of building frames for others.

Eddy Martens told his story to a local C&V website a few years ago. This is a - roughly translated - part of it. Eddy talks about his father:

He built frames for the professional riders of the Poeders Mann team, including Daniel Ryckeghem and Willy Vanneste. He also built frames for many riders of the Flandria team. These were bare frames that were secretly delivered to the Flandria factory in Zedelgem to be painted in the Flandria team colors.

In 1980 I took over my father's business and decided to focus solely on the construction of race frames. We worked with tubing from Reynolds, Columbus, Vitus and Ishiwata. In 20 years we have built 25,000 steel frames for various companies in Belgium and the Netherlands.

We've built frames for six world champions (road and track frames):
  • Michel Pollentier, winner of the Tour of Flanders
  • Etienne de Wilde, Belgian champion
  • Dirk Baert, Olympic champion Mexico
  • Roger Ilegems, Olympic champion in 1984 on the slopes.
  • Noel Dejonckhere, points race world champion in 1978.
  • Spencer Smith, triathlon world champion 1993/1994
  • Jempi Mosere (3 bare frames made by my father)
  • and many other riders.
I've made frames for Cornelo in the seventies and eighties, and also for Empella and Wout Verhoeven and Jan Janssen. I also made frames for Henk van der Kloof at Remy (with R-panto). Frames with a U-panto in the fork crown and lower head lug were for Union. I made some 150 frames for Loverdi, supplied through their Belgian painter: Ampe-Vanwassenhove from Torhout. And I've made frames for Diamant, Dossche Sport, Concorde (Astore), Splendor, Chinetti, Devos Sport, Sportivo, Destoop Ghent (Coppi frames for 1980), Flanders and U.Scanini.
And also for the teams of Histor, Splendor, Safir Empella (the cyclocross team with Simunek), Flanders, Boston, Carlos and Gregoire.
Many were distributed in Holland by Wout Verhoeven. I own at least two that came from the Martens shop via this route.

This Giovanni was supplied by Verhoeven to Piet Slikker, the owner of the Giovanni brand:

It has the clover mentioned by @Ex Pres:

This Visser Vainqueur is also a likely suspect ...

... as Visser, like Verhoeven, came from the Rotterdam area and it was originally built for Diamant:

For those who would like to meet Eddy: he is a regular at the Ghent Stalen Ros event, every fall. Took this pic of his offerings a few weeks ago:

Old 11-29-18, 04:07 PM
jmead11france

Bikes: Limongi SuperRecord, Chesini Precision, Gilmour Nuovo Record, Waterford Special Super Record, Schwinn Supersport, Tempo, Peloton Carbon, 1974 Paramount, 1974 Paramount1971 Paramount, Guerciotti Nuovo Record, Martelly Diamant Super Record

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just picked one up myself, in Bruges....had to leave it over there though for now, will get it home next trip.

Old 11-29-18, 05:09 PM
Kevindale

Bikes: 1980 Koga-Miyata Gentsluxe-S, 1998 Eddy Merckx Corsa 01, 1983 Tommasini Racing, 2012 Gulf Western CAAD10, 1980 Univega Gran Premio

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by non-fixie
For those who would like to meet Eddy: he is a regular at the Ghent Stalen Ros event, every fall. Took this pic of his offerings a few weeks ago:

I also met him there, and came very close to buying that sky blue frame above for my wife. I would have bought it in a second if it were my size, but alas, she didn't see the need for another bike when she'd just gotten a new Specialized a couple of months before. The SL tubing with beautiful lugs and really nice craftsmanship weren't enough to mesmerize her the way they did me. He was selling frames that he had on hand for about half of what they would normally go for.
Old 11-29-18, 05:31 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Originally Posted by jmead11france
I just picked one up myself, in Bruges....had to leave it over there though for now, will get it home next trip.

Finally! This is the first pictures I've seen of another bike that matches my Martelly built "Ribble" bike. The cutout lugs, head lugs and numbers tab all match. Cool!

Old 11-29-18, 07:37 PM
jmead11france

Bikes: Limongi SuperRecord, Chesini Precision, Gilmour Nuovo Record, Waterford Special Super Record, Schwinn Supersport, Tempo, Peloton Carbon, 1974 Paramount, 1974 Paramount1971 Paramount, Guerciotti Nuovo Record, Martelly Diamant Super Record

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mine was made for Georges Vandenberghe in 1980 not long before he passed away. I consider myself fortunate to have acquired it.
Old 11-29-18, 08:06 PM
jamesdak 

Mine was made for Georges Vandenberghe in 1980 not long before he passed away. I consider myself fortunate to have acquired it.
Awesome to have a real pro's ride. And it's a beauty!
Old 11-29-18, 08:53 PM
jmead11france

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not my first one....I have a Limongi that was owned by Phillipe Saude and a LeMond wheelset was included in that deal....as well as two complete sets of shorts and jerseys. Renault Elf Gitane

Last edited by jmead11france; 11-29-18 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-14-19, 07:28 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,182 Times in 1,184 Posts
A beautiful bike, it should clean up very well...nice score!
Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 04-16-19, 07:00 AM
Redshoes

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any help with identifying my frame gratefully received!

Not my first one....I have a Limongi that was owned by Phillipe Saude and a LeMond wheelset was included in that deal....as well as two complete sets of shorts and jerseys. Renault Elf Gitane
Hi- I dont suppose you have any good photos of the headbadge of this do you? - I am, desperately trying to identify a much loved bike frame I have and I suspect it may be Martens/ Martelly- from what I can see of the head badge on the yellow Diamant they look very similar. Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated!- as a newbie it wont let me post photos of my bike unfortunately- but am happy to share these with you over email if that would help for point of comparison. Cheers, Alex
Old 04-16-19, 07:19 AM
jamesdak 

Just thought I'd update this a bit with my impression of how the bike rides on the road. I should note that I spent 4 unusual months off my bikes for a health reason so am just getting back into shape. But I've had several good rides on the bike as the conditioning comes back. With calm conditions I have easily been able to run a 20+ mph avg pace on it for half of each ride. It's that time of year here when the winds come up each afternoon so I've yet to get complete 25 mile ride in without wind problems. But for me 20 mph over the slight rolling hills route is fast. The bike just seems to carry speed very well and I've been able to run an extra gear over the other bikes I've been riding. It seems fairly comfortable on the rough roads and yet not flexy at all when I'm getting on it. This despite still weighing over 190 lbs as I shed the illness weight. It is quick to turn it, diving eagerly into turns. Yet it's not really twitchy feeling on the straights. Anyway, I'm happy with it and highly recommend these frames to anyone interested. I'm still sorting mine out. Added some nice light Mavics that work great in the calm but suck in side winds. I'm also converting it to mostly all Dura Ace 7400 since it deserves it. The BB has a tad of play so I need to look into that. Here's how I'm riding it right now as I slowly work on it.

Last edited by jamesdak; 04-16-19 at 02:18 PM. Reason: So many initial grammer errors, I must have still been asleep when I posted it.
Old 04-16-19, 12:37 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 788 Posts
Great write-up on Martens/Martelly history that fills in some of those wide gaps in the database. There are so many of their frames that wear so many other names, it's very helpful to see a list!
Old 04-21-19, 06:48 PM
jmead11france

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Redshoes
Hi- I dont suppose you have any good photos of the headbadge of this do you? - I am, desperately trying to identify a much loved bike frame I have and I suspect it may be Martens/ Martelly- from what I can see of the head badge on the yellow Diamant they look very similar. Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated!- as a newbie it wont let me post photos of my bike unfortunately- but am happy to share these with you over email if that would help for point of comparison. Cheers, Alex

Old 04-22-19, 08:56 AM
Redshoes

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks so much for this!
Old 11-07-20, 09:06 AM
jamesdak 

Just as an update, I've been emailing Eddy Martens about some stuff and he shot me a link to this site. Says these are his work too.

https://jaegher.be/
Old 11-07-20, 05:41 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 6,388 Times in 3,673 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
Just as an update, I've been emailing Eddy Martens about some stuff and he shot me a link to this site. Says these are his work too.

https://jaegher.be/
Very nice.