Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Fair value for a Tommasini?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-21, 09:16 AM
sunday

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Fair value for a Tommasini?

Hi,

a new day, a new bike, this time a Tommasini for which I have not much details.
The seller says it's Columbus Genius steel, Dura Ace 7400/7402 and the size is 56.
Asking price is just north of 900 USD.

Do the lack of lugs bother the ones of you which look for perfection on a bike?
Any other stuff I should be aware of, considering I'm a noob?

Here's a couple of pics:

Thank you
Old 05-14-21, 11:04 AM
James1964 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 96 Posts
Nice bike in what looks like very good condition. Check the bearings (wheel hubs, bottom bracket, headset, and pedals) to see if they are smooth and not loose. (Repacking or replacing them can get expensive if you don't have the tools and knowledge and must have a bike shop do it.)

Dura-Ace 7400 is a great component group; I still use it regularly. And if the terrain you ride is not mountainous, then the 9-sprocket cassette provides plenty of gear range for most riders. (I'd argue that it's enough even for mountainous routes.)
Old 05-14-21, 01:39 PM
James1964 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 96 Posts
I should have mentioned the bike appears to have a straight-block (one-tooth increments in the sprockets) cassette. Unless you're a strong rider, you'l probably want to use a cassette with a larger gear range.
Old 05-14-21, 02:51 PM
sunday

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Thank you.

I'm not a very strong rider
What's the upper limit for that derailleur?
Old 05-14-21, 02:54 PM
tendency

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by James1964
Nice bike in what looks like very good condition. Check the bearings (wheel hubs, bottom bracket, headset, and pedals) to see if they are smooth and not loose. (Repacking or replacing them can get expensive if you don't have the tools and knowledge and must have a bike shop do it.)

Dura-Ace 7400 is a great component group; I still use it regularly. And if the terrain you ride is not mountainous, then the 9-sprocket cassette provides plenty of gear range for most riders. (I'd argue that it's enough even for mountainous routes.)
What - who needs less that a 39-23 for mountains?
Old 05-15-21, 08:12 AM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,378 Times in 891 Posts
Not sure if I would go that high for a tig frame/unicrown fork. One if the drawing cards for a Tommasini is the fancy lugs, paint, and chrome.
Old 05-15-21, 02:13 PM
NatusEstInSuht

Bikes: 1970's Piasentin Super Vitus 971, 1979 Carlton Professional, 2005 Trek 5000, 2011 Niner EMD, 2018 Argon 18 XRoad, 1990 Diamondback Master TG Centurion

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 55 Posts
I think $900 USD is a very decent price for that bike.

I don't mind the lack of lugs and the sloping fork suits the rest of the frame perfectly.

Enjoy the bike!
Old 05-17-21, 04:14 AM
Kevindale

Bikes: 1980 Koga-Miyata Gentsluxe-S, 1998 Eddy Merckx Corsa 01, 1983 Tommasini Racing, 2012 Gulf Western CAAD10, 1980 Univega Gran Premio

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
I don't know in what sense you're a noob, so I'll mention that as a 56 cm frame you should probably be around 5'10" for this to be a good fit. Just wanted to make sure of that, though if you're looking at a Tommasini I imagine you're already riding a road bike and have an idea of what size you need.

Location matters a lot for these prices, so it might help to know what market you're in. You're correct that most people looking at vintage Tommasini bikes prefer lugged frames, and so this is somewhat less desirable. Also I can't help noticing that the welds around the seatpost are about the ugliest welds I've ever seen on a Tommasini. I did a quick google search on Techno Tigs and some have smoothed/sanded welds (which I think is not ideal from a strength aspect, but sure looks nice), while others are not smoothed but still less irregular than the welds in the closeup photo.

I suspect the asking price is inflated to leave room for negotiating. I think it's somewhat on the high side for this model.
Old 05-17-21, 05:05 AM
sunday

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I am 5'10" indeed, but I'm not young and I favour endurance type frames in road bikes. My current bike is a size S Canyon Endurace (that's about 54 cm) and I find it comfy.
I recently bought my first steel, a size 55 Basso, tested it for a ride and found it quite challenging. The seatpost must be at the top max position, raised the quill stem to the max (1 mm above max, actually) and felt myself stretched a lot, riding on the hoods felt like riding on the drops of the Canyon.
I will try to find a shorter stem for it (the current 120mm is definitely too long for me) but I think all the bikes with a classic geometry are rather racers than endurance bikes.

But they look great, so I will gloss over small discomforts.

Thanks again to all of you for advice.
Old 05-17-21, 06:24 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
7402 rear derailleur: chain wrap 26, max cog 26.
Likes For Phil_gretz: