Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Shimano Dynamo hub, reliability and bearing life

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-10, 05:28 PM
pasopia

Bikes: soma double cross DC, giant reign

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been using a shimano DH-3D71 dynamo hub for about a year, and I've been really happy with it. I'm trying to decide whether I should use it for my upcoming pan am tour. I'll be on the road for a year or so, going from Alaska to Argentina.

From what I understand the bearings on one side of the hub cannot be serviced, which concerns me. Is this correct? Should I be worried? Has anyone put 15,000 plus miles on one of these hubs?
Old 01-26-10, 09:37 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
I've been using a HB-NX30 Nexus dynamo hub for about eight years, on my commuter bikes. 7200 miles on the current bike, and I'd guess about as many miles on the previous bike (same hub). So far it shows no signs of age.

Why can't the bearings be serviced? I know servicing the old Sturmey Archer dynohubs is a problematic business since you can inadvertently do something really bad to the magnets, but what's the deal with the Nexus hub? I hadn't heard that before.