Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Woo Hoo! I retired!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Woo Hoo! I retired!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-12, 01:43 AM
Rip Van Winkle
Formerly Gordo Grande

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Woo Hoo! I retired!

Woo Hoo! I retired about seven months ago. Spent some time travelling, some time riding, and some time fixing things around the house.

Now I get to do what I really want to do, which is to start refurbishing and restoring the fifteen bicycles I have in my garage. I've been following this forum for several years, and have always been in awe of you guys. Now I get to share the addiction along with the rest of you.

I have a pretty good collection of tools, including bottom bracket and headset tools and two truing stands. I'm pretty good at fixing anything built in the eighties or nineties. I just never had the time to do all that I wanted to do. Most of what I know I learned from a good friend who was a master mechanic here in L.A. back in the old days.

Seriously, riding and wrenching was a big part of the reason that I pulled the plug on a thirty-five year career. I can't wait.

I started my first serious project tonight, which is an old mid-eighties Schwinn Traveler for my college bound daughter. I bought it for ten bucks, and can't wait to see what it looks like when it's done.

I know that I'll be bugging you guys for advice. Thanks in advance.

Ross K.
aka Rip Van Winkle
Old 01-17-12, 01:52 AM
kc0yef 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
congrats ross
Old 01-17-12, 01:56 AM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
Congratulations! Sounds like you have one busy retirement ahead of you.
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 01-17-12, 01:56 AM
Dawes-man
十人十色

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
How cool! All the best for your 'riding & wrenching
Old 01-17-12, 02:21 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
Gratulations Ross!
This is also the year I pay off my mortgage. (Somewhere between June & August.) Not only that, I'm also fetching my Grail Bike from Utah in about two weeks from Jan Nikolajsen.
Here's to 2012: the year when everything came together!
Old 01-17-12, 03:42 AM
ftwelder

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I think about retiring some day but sort of doubt I will find anything more interesting than work.
Old 01-17-12, 04:30 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,752 Times in 939 Posts
I retired about seven years ago. My retirement lasted for about two hours. I bought an early seventies Fuji The Ace on the way home from my retirement lunch and have been randyjawa ever since.

I love my retired life, except for the lack of pension ravaged resources and the impact of the aging process on my wonderful body:-(

First word of advice to you as you begin your restorations - prepare the bike for the road and then test ride it, before spending too much time or money. You do not want to make the mistakes I did with my first attempt at restoration - Big Green!
Old 01-17-12, 05:02 AM
photogravity
Hopelessly addicted...

Bikes: 1949 Hercules Kestrel, 1950 Norman Rapide, 1970 Schwinn Collegiate, 1972 Peugeot UE-8, 1976 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Jack Taylor Tandem, 1984 Davidson Tandem, 2010 Bilenky "BQ" 650B Constructeur Tandem, 2011 Linus Mixte

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Congratulations! With about 17 years to retirement I am truly envious. I can't wait to see what you're working on.
Old 01-17-12, 05:24 AM
Rip Van Winkle
Formerly Gordo Grande

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by calamarichris
Gratulations Ross!
This is also the year I pay off my mortgage. (Somewhere between June & August.) Not only that, I'm also fetching my Grail Bike from Utah in about two weeks from Jan Nikolajsen.
Here's to 2012: the year when everything came together!
Congratulations on the mortgage and the new bike!
Old 01-17-12, 05:25 AM
Rip Van Winkle
Formerly Gordo Grande

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
I retired about seven years ago. My retirement lasted for about two hours. I bought an early seventies Fuji The Ace on the way home from my retirement lunch and have been randyjawa ever since.

I love my retired life, except for the lack of pension ravaged resources and the impact of the aging process on my wonderful body:-(

First word of advice to you as you begin your restorations - prepare the bike for the road and then test ride it, before spending too much time or money. You do not want to make the mistakes I did with my first attempt at restoration - Big Green!
Thanks Randyjawa. I think I've actually stumbled on your Big Green web page before, but it was worth reading again. Good advice!
Old 01-17-12, 05:35 AM
Rip Van Winkle
Formerly Gordo Grande

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks all for the kind words!
Old 01-17-12, 06:14 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Yeah, I retired almost five years ago. Took about a year to sort out what I was going to do for my next phase. Now I am pretty settled in. And being retired, you will be able to "scoop" all those working for a living pickers.....

The neat thing is that you can go from doing what pays the best, to doing what you enjoy the most. I do have a saying: "Now that I am retired, I need hobbies to be self funding." Flipping bikes has taken care of the bike hobby. For my motorcycle hobby, I teach motorcycle safety, which pays all of my motorcycle expenses. And so it goes.
Old 01-17-12, 06:40 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1453 Post(s)
Liked 2,196 Times in 963 Posts
Originally Posted by ftwelder
I think about retiring some day but sort of doubt I will find anything more interesting than work.
Frank, I sort of wonder if when I retire can I give up writing and preaching sermons? We'll see. It's just what I do every week and I usually work on a sermon everyday.

Of course Frank has the most amazing shop and suite of tools and machines that any red blooded male would long to own. When you can create or fabricate nearly anything out of metal, what's not interesting!

Rip, a big congratulations on your retirement. My wife reached eligibility in December. Yesterday her boss told her about adding more work to her plate and she reminded him she could retire! He immediately backed off!

I'm still 11-12 years off, but once my daughter is out of college in 4 years, I'll consider a smaller church and a slower pace for less money for the remaining years. The bike projects are piling up in my basement as well!

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 01-17-12, 11:15 AM
Dawes-man
十人十色

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
For my motorcycle hobby, I teach motorcycle safety, which pays all of my motorcycle expenses. And so it goes.
That's really a cool thing to do!

I smashed my right ankle socket in a motorcycle accident and when the doctor told me what I had to look forward to it was so dismal that I considered giving up riding... for about 5 minutes. I quickly realised what a huge chunk of fun would vanish from my life so I decided to learn how to ride more safely instead. I then found that my enjoyment increased the more I learnt about riding safely. I even took up racing.
Old 01-17-12, 11:35 AM
4Rings6Stars
Seρor Member

Bikes: Bedford, IF, Hampsten, DeSalvo, Intense Carbine 27.5, Raleigh Sports, Bianchi C.u.S.S, Soma DC Disc, Bill Boston Tandem

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Well I finish grad school this summer and START my career....only 40 years to go

Congrats!
Old 01-17-12, 03:30 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Originally Posted by Dawes-man
That's really a cool thing to do!

I smashed my right ankle socket in a motorcycle accident and when the doctor told me what I had to look forward to it was so dismal that I considered giving up riding... for about 5 minutes. I quickly realised what a huge chunk of fun would vanish from my life so I decided to learn how to ride more safely instead. I then found that my enjoyment increased the more I learnt about riding safely. I even took up racing.
I had a serious crash in 2001 (the dreaded high side, at interstate speed), and had surgery on my shoulder. Anyway, I go to the surgeon's office, lining his walls were all of these pictures of sports stars (mainly football) that he had operated on, with messages like: "thanks for getting me back to play", etc. So I meet with the surgeon, and he starts in with his anti-motorcycling speech. "Well, I am sure you have learned your lesson and won't ride again, after all, people get hurt on motorcycles all the time." So I just responded: "Gee, I watch a lot of football, and I see players getting hurt all of the time, and the stars I grew up with, a lot of them are barely getting around anymore. I couldn't help but notice all of your pictures in the hallway. So I guess you tell all of the football players you operate on, to never play ball again. Right?"
Old 01-17-12, 05:35 PM
BadBack

Bikes: Bianchi carbon C2C, Enigma etape titanium, Scott Genius 30 MTB, Marin Eldridge grade hybrid & a '66 Holdsworth Mistral being restored

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fantastic. I am close behind you. I retire in April and I have a 1967 Holdsworth that has patiently been waiting for my attention. Really looking forward to it.
Old 01-17-12, 07:49 PM
bikemore 
Too many bikes

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a serious crash in 2001 (the dreaded high side, at interstate speed), and had surgery on my shoulder. Anyway, I go to the surgeon's office, lining his walls were all of these pictures of sports stars (mainly football) that he had operated on, with messages like: "thanks for getting me back to play", etc. So I meet with the surgeon, and he starts in with his anti-motorcycling speech. "Well, I am sure you have learned your lesson and won't ride again, after all, people get hurt on motorcycles all the time." So I just responded: "Gee, I watch a lot of football, and I see players getting hurt all of the time, and the stars I grew up with, a lot of them are barely getting around anymore. I couldn't help but notice all of your pictures in the hallway. So I guess you tell all of the football players you operate on, to never play ball again. Right?"
And his response was ?
Old 01-17-12, 08:10 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Originally Posted by bikemore
And his response was ?
He actually was pretty good about it. He admitted, something like: "Yeah, that's a good point."
Old 01-17-12, 09:15 PM
Rabid Koala
Chrome Freak

Bikes: 71 Chrome Paramount P13-9, 73 Opaque Blue Paramount P15, 74 Blue Mink Raleigh Pro, 91 Waterford Paramount, Holland Titanium x2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
I say I want to retire, but since I am only 54 it won't be anytime soon. Well, my stock investments got decimated in 08, they have a long way to go to recover. In reality, I need to have somewhere to go and someone who needs me to do something. I would like to become a lot choosier about what I do (I own a small construction company), or just give that up and do commercial door and lock repairs. I got a locksmith license a while back, I am still learning that trade.

I do want time to do the riding I have little time to do now!
1991 Waterford Paramount
Holland Titanium Dura Ace Group
Holland Titanium Ultegra Triple Group
Old 01-17-12, 10:00 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
The closer I get to retirement the more I look forward to it. Maybe in a year or two or three.

But RVW, you claim to have 15 bikes in the garage. No pics? Without pics we don't believe you.
Old 01-17-12, 10:05 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
Loved hitting this thread today for the first time. Due to the downturn in the motorcycle business (I work for a Honda/Yamaha/CanAm dealer), we're on a mandatory 32 hour maximum week. Which means Tuesday's are my 'layoff day'. Spent the entire day in the shop, working on the late-80's/early-90's Nishiki Cascade I picked up at the county transfer station on Saturday. Boy, it's amazing what you can get done to a rusted, abandoned, dirty bicycle if you can put a solid 12-14 hours on it in one day. I'll probably be doing the first trials on my personal trails by tomorrow morning.

And five years from now, I get to spend the rest of my life in the shop.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 01-17-12, 10:08 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts

You were too polite. A nice, specific, "**** off" followed by a right fist to the jaw would have been the appropriate biker response.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 01-17-12, 10:15 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7350 Post(s)
Liked 2,475 Times in 1,438 Posts
I'm envious. I've managed my money badly and fear I won't be able to retire, ever. I'll either work until I die or cause my death by working.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-17-12, 10:35 PM
toytech

Bikes: enough bikes to qualify for Hoarders......

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will work until I die likely Auto mechanics never retire anyway, we just go out on disability at some point...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.