Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

How long should brakes last?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

How long should brakes last?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-15, 08:58 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 350 Posts
I just recently replaced the original pads on some brakes from the 1960's. So once every 50years is about right.
Likes For big chainring:
Old 12-22-15, 11:39 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18351 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
How worn were your brakes when you replaced them?

I wear mine right down to the wear line, or to the external brake pad holders.

No need to replace half-worn pads.
Old 12-26-19, 01:17 AM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 81 Posts
I have several older bikes,. 20+ years. Low use, well cared for. The pads are originals with little rim wear.
The pads are all rock hard, but the bikes stop well enough to satisfy me. No grinding, no scoring.
Again , I have a distorted view because I have rarely had a new full size upright with rim brakes that was less than 10 years old and didn't have rock hard pads.
How long should one go before replacing the pads just for age?
? should I go all Mr. Whipple and unwrap bike shop pads, or pull them off a friend's new bike when he isn't looking and "Squeeze the Charmin?"
to see if it is softer?
Is there a Rockwell Hardness test for pads? and would that mean anything?
All of the discussions appear to be about wear, and to be honest, I have never had to replace for wear, only for deterioration, noise or collections of shmutz.
Most new pads seem to be almost as hard as the ones I have.

Second question, Other than post differences, how interchangeable are rim brake pad styles?
Is there a conversion/comparability chart that I have missed? eg are shimano M50T's replaceable with other styles. I would like all my bikes to use the same pads , if possible.
Hopefully this is not a dumb question, but to be honest , I haven't even found dumb answers anywhere, nor have I not found a discussion of differing brake pad dimensions.
Yet.

Last edited by bikebikebike; 12-26-19 at 01:29 AM.
Old 12-26-19, 06:24 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,393 Times in 2,738 Posts
Question #2 - Those Shimano M50T seem to be one piece brake blocks. I would replace those with something like this https://www.amazon.com/SHIMANO-BR-67...J9A08RHRQQE9JE so that the pads are easily swapped. The Kool Stop salmon pads are thought to be softer than some. I don't know but I like and use them. Shimano pads are pretty drama free as well.
Old 12-26-19, 10:37 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Heed the Gremlin:
Originally Posted by Bike Gremlin
Front brake is the main brake, with greatest stopping power. Practice braking with front only, then with both brakes.
Originally Posted by NYSteve
I bought a brand new Schwinn Bike this April, and I have been riding it for exercise and fun.
How long should break pads last?
Probably longer than 700 miles, but if you ride in wet, dirty, or gritty conditions with lots of hills and stop signs and such maybe that's reasonable. Current Schwinn bikes seem to vary in quality, and so you may have brake shoes with the wear-life of manchego cheese. The LBS probably is replacing those shoes with something a bit better, so you'll be able to see how the new pair does.

But in any case use your front brake (practice a bit before you use the front brake to stop you at the stop sign at the bottom of that two-mile, 15% grade hill, though - no sense in experiencing that "over the handle-bars", "experiment in bike-powered human flight" moment).

Also, check your tires. The best tire should be on the front (I rotate the older front tire to the back when I replace the front tire*).

*Never, ever take a more worn tire from the back wheel and rotate it to the front "to even out wear". Putting a new tire on the front and the slightly worn front tire on the rear wheel is fine. But the front tire should always be your best tire. One reason: that's the wheel you should be braking with mostly!

Last edited by WizardOfBoz; 12-26-19 at 10:45 AM.
Likes For WizardOfBoz:
Old 12-26-19, 03:39 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
Wrote here in more detail on proper bicycle braking technique.
Old 12-27-19, 12:00 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 245 Posts
My SA XL-FDD dyno DRUM brake has 25,000 miles.
I bought it 4 years before this 4 year old thread started.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 12-27-19 at 12:10 PM.
Old 12-27-19, 12:54 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Clifford, you do live in lava country, Lava dust is incredibly abrasive; We northwesterners regularly wear out rims and brake pads at rates that we are almost as often told are impossible. In my commuting days, I could not get two winters out of my rims (riding 2-3 times/week). I've worn tubular rims clear through the brake track, had a clincher sidewall blow off in the garage while I was in the house. (Sounded lie a gunshot.) Tossed many Open Pro/Sport rims with deep concaves, otherwise perfect.

I don't know the numbers, but from my listening to the geologist at the Cycle Oregon rides and observing, I'd guess that roughly 90% of Oregon is covered with lava of many different eras, types and depths.

I'm guessing the OP doesn't have our dust (the NY of NYSteve suggests a further east location) but he does most of his riding on the same trails. It might be that they have an unusually abrasive dust. But I will comment that I have found rear brakes to have often more wear than fronts, even using the front a lot more. I've attributed this to 1) the rear sees a far dirtier environment and 2) rear brakes get dragged, not squeezed firmly

Edit: I plead guilty of answering a 4 year old post. "No, your honor, no excuse. Just forgot to look at the date."

Ben

Last edited by 79pmooney; 12-27-19 at 01:05 PM.
Old 12-27-19, 01:38 PM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Originally Posted by Bike Gremlin
Wrote here in more detail on proper bicycle braking technique.
Excellent
Moto's give you an good appreciation of the front brake's dynamics
Bikes are short and forward weighted, love to endo.
Thanks for the heads up on interchangeability of pad systems. I have multiple bikes and will see how hey set up. Again , nice to have fewer systems on the bikes.
Old 12-30-19, 03:47 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt
As of December 16th, 2015 I had 12,167 miles (19,580 kilometers) on the Kool Stop Salmon rim-brake pads I installed on my road bike October, 13 2013.

They look like half their life remains.

As always, Your Mileage May Vary.
On December 26th, 2019 they reached 28,034 miles and still have life left.
Old 12-30-19, 05:29 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
I rode (possibly for the last time (as the replacement is waiting for a painter) my commuter today. It has Mathouser pads installed maybe 15 years ago, when this frame was new. The pads still have lost of like in them and whoever buys the Campy side pulls that they are attached to will be happy for quite a lot more miles. Andy (who likely only has around 20K on this bike)
Old 12-30-19, 09:17 PM
ChrisAlbertson

Bikes: 70's frame, newer parts

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 27 Posts
As it turns out brake pads made with softer rubber will stop the bike quicker. But they also wear out faster. Just think how long stainless steel pads would last. You would never stop but the pads would outlast five bikes. Tires are the same way. Very grippy tires don't last as long. But tires made for high mileage use harder rubber that does not grip as well.

Your weight does matter. It takes twice as much work (work is force multiplied by distance) to stop a 250-pound river then a 125-pound rider. I'd expect the heavier rider to use up the pads twice as quickly.
Old 12-31-19, 06:58 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
750 miles is not very many. Honestly, I kind of doubt your excessive wear is due to using your rear brake excessively. I'm wondering if your rear brake has been dragging all this time. I personally think that's a much more likely scenario.

Were both brake pads evenly worn or only one side? On a properly set up brake, both sides will wear pretty evenly. A dragging brake is much more likely to wear on only one side.
Old 12-31-19, 09:34 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,203 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by bikebikebike
Excellent
Moto's give you an good appreciation of the front brake's dynamics
Bikes are short and forward weighted, love to endo.
Thanks for the heads up on interchangeability of pad systems. I have multiple bikes and will see how hey set up. Again , nice to have fewer systems on the bikes.
As loathe as I am to contribute to a 4 year old post, the article linked to by Bike Gremlin, the article is not so excellent in my opinion. There’s several things wrong with it. This, for example, is one of the more glaring errors

If a rear wheel starts to slide, the proper action depends on whether the rear end of the bicycle has moved significantly sideways. If the rear end has moved significantly to the side, it is often better to leave the rear brake and the tyre locked, than to release the rear brake, since that could cause the rear tyre to “bite” the surface again, abruptly throwing the bike and the rider to the side where the rear end was sliding (and has now abruptly stopped sliding). In case of a minor rear end slide, ease off the rear brake.

If a front tyre begins sliding, immediately decrease the pressure on the front brake. There’s usually no need to release the brake fully, just decrease the pressure, ease off a bit.
If the rear wheel starts to slide, the proper action is to get it to stop sliding, especially if the wheel is sliding out of line. A sliding tire has zero control and zero predictability. A rolling tire can be controlled and will help with steering...even the rear wheel. The proper action is to get the rear wheel back down on the ground by releasing the front brake. At the very least reduce pressure on the front brake. The reason the rear wheel is sliding is because the weight has transferred to the front wheel and the only way to get the rear wheel back on the ground is to move the weight rearward but easing up on the front brake.

Additionally, front tires don’t “slide”. We can’t generate enough friction to slide the front wheel. If the front wheel locks, the rider is headed over the bars. Bikes aren’t “short and front loaded”. They are short and high loaded. In other words, the center of gravity is very high for a short vehicle. The center of gravity is 4 to 5 feet (1.2 to 1.75 meters) off the ground. No other vehicle has such a high center of gravity. Motorcycles, cars, trucks, busses, etc. all have centers of gravity that are between the wheels and near the ground. They can generate enough friction on the road to slide the front wheels without having the rear end go over the front. Motorcycles get close but not as bad as bicycles.

Relying on one brake over the other is improper technic. By learning how to use both brakes effectively, a bicyclist will end up with better control and safer stopping.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 12-31-19, 03:00 PM
bikebikebike

Totally agree on all points.
May be an old thread but a timeless one.

Part of the two wheel challenge is how short the decision time is. Two wheelers often end up doing the luge before they know what's happened.
Unless one has the equivalent of MSF and licensing, I doubt many will get much of a chance to even think about braking.
Pad wear is an opportunity to think for a moment about what is going on, in the first place.
Makes me wonder how light you can make ABS. :-)