Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

A little good news.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

A little good news.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-20, 06:56 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
A little good news.

There is a little good news. As of today we are gaining more sun light both morning and night. Actually we have already gained 16 minutes of more sunlight in the evening. Better yet 2 of the worst cycling months are past, and there is only 70 days until spring.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 01-07-20, 07:07 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
There is a little good news. As of today we are gaining more sun light both morning and night. Actually we have already gained 16 minutes of more sunlight in the evening. Better yet 2 of the worst cycling months are past, and there is only 70 days until spring.
Indeed, that's what I've been telling myself!

I've always taken winters off before and had a painful seat re-conditioning in March or April. But after getting winter gear figured out I've been continuing to ride some. On the one hand it seems the coldest and potentially snowiest parts of winter are yet to come, but the days getting longer is a positive sign, and with luck there will be a few nice days a month to get in a meaningful distance ride every once in a while.... now if only the chance of rain on Saturday continues to fall, the unseasonably warm temperatures predicted could have possibility indeed.
Likes For UniChris:
Old 01-07-20, 07:18 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Better yet 2 of the worst cycling months are past, and there is only 70 days until spring.
By far the worst month to be on the roads is December and it's not because of the weather but because of pre-Christmass and post-Chistmass shopping madness.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 01-07-20, 07:37 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I kind of like winter riding as it keeps a lot of idiot bicyclists off the roads. The only drawback to that is that then drivers aren't that aware that bicyclists still ride on the roads in winter. Thus the bicyclist has to be extra vigilant.

I just love going out into the countryside around 2AM and riding as or just after a snowfall - as long as it's not to deep that is. Fortunately, I'm only about tent to fifteen minutes bicycling to the edge of town and then out into the countryside.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 01-07-20, 07:41 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
noticed today that the Garmin went into night mode 14 minutes later than in late december (5:14 then, 5:28 now) woot!
Likes For Flip Flop Rider:
Old 01-07-20, 09:25 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by .mockingbird.
I can't relate to this at all.

November and December are great months for riding. I'm not stuck in Lincoln, NE though.

Also, the amount of daylight doesn't affect how much I ride. Good lights make night riding like riding during the day - except the trails are empty.
Down here near the Gulf Coast, winter riding is definitely some of the best riding.

Old 01-08-20, 12:30 AM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
So funny that this got posted. I just absently noticed today as I glanced at the clock and my eyes then fell on the window that the sun should have been down by then. It wasn't much, but I seemed to notice it for some strnge reason.
Old 01-08-20, 03:20 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by UniChris
I've always taken winters off before ...
Yes, that was me until recently. Then I used to skip days that were rainy and cold. But I've gradually become pretty much an all weather rider - just as well considering that in the SE of England it seems determined to rain pretty much every day of Winter at the moment. It's taken a bit of a toll on my bike but I figure with the amount I'm saving in rail fares I'll be able to replace it all the sooner.
Old 01-08-20, 03:37 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 204 Posts
What is this sun you're all talking about? Haven't seen that for weeks, and probably won't for another month to come. Not that I'd live beyond arctic circle, it's just that there are usually very few sunny days from November to February here. Even if it's not raining or snowing, it stays overcast pretty much all the time. Which in turn means that the shortest days seem even shorter, around the solstice it's dark by 4 pm.
To be fair, there were a couple sunny days around New Years this time though.
Old 01-08-20, 03:41 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,287 Times in 1,278 Posts
Well , I kind of enjoy winter riding . Then again , in Southern California most winters are just a bit cooler than spring! I went Saturday and probably one of my top ten rides in the past 6 months. It was a bit cool in the morning but nice , maybe mid to upper sixties , in the afternoon. I started out at about 7:30 am so it was later than my summer riding. Some say the weather in SoCal is boring , I say put on your jersey and go for a ride! There is plenty of daylight for a decent ride.
Old 01-08-20, 08:57 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,527 Times in 7,325 Posts
Here in Philly we are actually entering what is supposed to be the coldest time of the year. Had some rain and light snow last night. Nothing stuck, but it's cold and windy today. Last I checked, it's supposed to get up to 67 on Saturday and 60 on Sunday, but wet during the former. I'd rather have snow so we don't have drought conditions during the summer.
Old 01-08-20, 01:43 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I am a rider that likes to ride is shorts and a T-shirt. I hate bundling up to ride. I especially dont like anything on my legs. I am already getting cabin fever, even tho I go to the gym and ride the recumbent trainer. At least it helps keep my weight down over the winter, and my legs in fairly good shape for spring riding.
Old 01-08-20, 02:06 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,527 Times in 7,325 Posts
First of two that moved through this afternoon. It got worse that pictured.

Old 01-08-20, 02:33 PM
MNebiker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 83 Posts
The good news is a little slow in getting to MN . . . . . . . . .
Likes For MNebiker:
Old 01-14-20, 05:25 AM
twowheeledthomp

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Can't wait. Really fed up of these dark mornings.
Old 01-14-20, 10:13 AM
FireMed

Bikes: Specialized Diverge Sport, Santa Cruz Chameleon

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I'm just glad we have had some mild weather this Winter. Been able to get out a few weekends without getting bundled up.