Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Western tour

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Western tour

Old 05-24-18, 08:40 PM
Smrachek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Western tour

I am planning a self supported ride from Denver to San Francisco or reverse starting in middle of August. If starting in Denver, will hop on Transamerica trail and head west to Florence OR, then south , following Pacific to Lafayette, CA (east of San Fran). Or reverse. Would like to end up in Denver but am thinking that because of the temperature at end of September (estimating 45 days) might be better in CA then CO. Any thoughts or advice would be deeply appreciated
Old 05-24-18, 10:31 PM
jamawani 
Hooked on Touring

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 93 Posts
Definitely Denver to San Fran.

Two reasons -
1. More importantly, you don't want to ride north on the Pacific coast.
2. Less so temps, but late Sept can have a few quick snows & chilly temps in the Rockies.

Prism is a good source for temps and precip averages - -
PRISM Climate Group, Oregon State U
Old 05-24-18, 10:51 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
North Pacific High makes the weather nicer , but it is only a tail wind southbound, on the coast.
Old 05-25-18, 04:11 PM
Smrachek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Looks like Denver to San Fran. It will be my 1st tour in 8 years and only my second tour, first was 14 days around the mountains of Colorado
Old 05-25-18, 05:19 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Smrachek
I am planning a self supported ride from Denver to San Francisco or reverse starting in middle of August. If starting in Denver, will hop on Transamerica trail and head west to Florence OR, then south , following Pacific to Lafayette, CA (east of San Fran). Or reverse. Would like to end up in Denver but am thinking that because of the temperature at end of September (estimating 45 days) might be better in CA then CO. Any thoughts or advice would be deeply appreciated
Can't you start you trip earlier? It is going to be one heck of a headwind going up the coast. You would be better to start your trip on the coast and going to Denver but you will likely need an earlier start.
Old 06-27-18, 05:07 PM
Smrachek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Might need to change plan and shorten tour to around 30 days, would still like to start in Denver but now need to end in Denver..
definitely want to hit Yellowstone and grand Teton, Maybe try to catch north rim, zion and bryce. Can start and go in different direction, Other option is original route, stay on Transamerica trail but end on coast of Oregon. Then fly back home. Been to north rim, zion and bryce before but never on a bike
Old 06-28-18, 03:21 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1626 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
south of bryce canyon, it's gonna get hot. like triple digits hot. zion will be scorchy. north rim of the grand canyon will be pleasant but it's a looong ride
across some hot range to get there. may be best to stay in south dakota (badlands np area), wyoming/northern utah/idaho/montana.
central/southern utah won't cool down till mid-october. north rim gcnp, bryce and zion all rock on a bike.

Last edited by diphthong; 06-28-18 at 03:24 AM.
Old 06-28-18, 07:32 AM
travelinhobo

Bikes: I'm not a guy - brand doesn't matter.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I'd rather have that beautiful downhill ride!
Old 06-28-18, 11:33 AM
boomhauer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
If it was August and I was just starting a trip in Denver I would catch a tail wind and head north.
I don't know what kind of shape you are in but I could never start out going over the front range at the beginning of a tour. (I haven't trained for any tour I've ever been on)
The Mickelson Trail in South Dakota would be a good first destination. Then to Devils Tower before heading west.
The roads in Wyoming are first rate!!! But there are many fracking equipment trucks in certain places, so be careful.

Last edited by boomhauer; 06-28-18 at 12:06 PM.