Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Good bike storage options?

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Old 02-24-18, 10:43 AM
erbfarm

Bikes: 1986 Bridgestone 450

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Hi Everyone

I'm selling my house and moving to a small apartment with no garage and I could use some good ideas on how to store my 3 bikes. Currently, I commute on an e-bike for the winter, but once the weather gets nicer, I'll switch between that bike and my road bike. I have a back patio that has a roof overhang against the house for about 2 feet. I'm thinking about getting a floor to ceiling rack for outside. We don't get much rain in the summer so I'm not too worried about weather but I could use ideas on how to secure the bikes. Any ideas on how to rig up something with chains, locks, whatever? It's a back patio so the bikes will be out of street view but still, I'd be nervous about leaving bikes unprotected out there. Also, any rack recommendations would be welcome. Thanks!
Old 02-24-18, 11:30 AM
NTX_Cycler

Bikes: Giant MB (need to determine model)

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very interested in this topic. I live in a 1-bedroom and I'm pressed for space. I already have a MTB that sits in a trainer till I order my road bike next week. Once it comes in, I'll need some sort of storage option to get my MTB out of the way when not in use.
Old 02-24-18, 11:53 AM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by erbfarm
Hi Everyone

I'm selling my house and moving to a small apartment with no garage and I could use some good ideas on how to store my 3 bikes. Currently, I commute on an e-bike for the winter, but once the weather gets nicer, I'll switch between that bike and my road bike. I have a back patio that has a roof overhang against the house for about 2 feet. I'm thinking about getting a floor to ceiling rack for outside. We don't get much rain in the summer so I'm not too worried about weather but I could use ideas on how to secure the bikes. Any ideas on how to rig up something with chains, locks, whatever? It's a back patio so the bikes will be out of street view but still, I'd be nervous about leaving bikes unprotected out there. Also, any rack recommendations would be welcome. Thanks!
I haven't tried this myself, but have you thought about rigging up a way to suspend or hang the bike(s) you're not using for a while horizontally against the ceiling? If you loosen the handlebar stem, you could turn it sideways parallel with the frame, and if you took the pedals off, the whole bike should lay pretty flat up against the ceiling.

Then you could hang a plant from the frame, or maybe some clothing on hangers, idk.
Old 02-24-18, 04:16 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bunches of options...https://www.pinterest.com/pin/285063851391698725

Last edited by Walter S; 02-24-18 at 04:30 PM.
Old 02-24-18, 04:22 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
No way i would leave a bike out of doors. Being behind the house, the thief would have all the time in the world to figure out how to steal it ... but frankly i'd expect a thief to come with a grinder.

I hear people using power tools all the time (during business hours) and never think twice.
Old 02-24-18, 04:27 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
On the ceiling type...https://www.powerrax.com/motorized-bike-lift-system/
Old 02-24-18, 05:23 PM
NTX_Cycler

Bikes: Giant MB (need to determine model)

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OP doesn't have a garage
Old 02-24-18, 09:17 PM
debade

Bikes: Trek Domane, Trek 2120, Trek 520, Schwinn Voyager step through

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 78 Posts
our kids used this 'pole' rack. https://www.overstock.com/Home-Garde...BoCNB4QAvD_BwE
Old 02-24-18, 10:19 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Hi Everyone

You should look to resources from your local bike group. Look to see how the area you are planning to live looks and then decide if maybe the bike needs to come inside with you. Is your place in a hot spot for theft? https://projects.oregonlive.com/maps/bikes/thefts
Old 02-24-18, 11:35 PM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
To deal with the overflow in my garage I once rented a small Public Storage closet sized room, set 4 bikes in vertically. Yea, not so convenient but the local PS was within walking distance.
Old 02-25-18, 01:52 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 89 Posts
Hi Everyone

It might be a bit late to rethink this, but it sounds like the apartment isn't the right one for someone who commutes year round and has an expensive e-bike. But, if you are committed, what about one or more outdoor storage units?

https://www.google.ca/search?q=outdo...jKm4004J7ynVM:
Old 03-01-18, 12:24 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
This is how they did it in the show Seinfeld. Although, it would be difficult with your e-bike, maybe that will fit behind the sofa.
Attached Images
Old 03-01-18, 05:24 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
there are non marking wall leaning 2 bike racks,

Single.. I got 2 brm apartments , bikes got one..
or used ceiling hooks where I already saw spackled holes from past tenants..

consider building a locking bike shed? so they are outside on a rack, but out of sight for prying eyes/?

dead van on cinder blocks bikes in the van?

Old 06-01-18, 09:16 AM
Williamb

Bikes: 2018 Norco Threshold Alu Apex, 2012 Bike Friday Family Tandem, 2010 Torker Graduate, 2006 Specialized Allez Comp, 1992 Cannondale R400

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not a cheap or a quick solution, but the most appealing examples of outdoor storage I have seen are the bike-specific sheds by The Bike Shed Company of Bristol, UK. Maybe hire a local carpenter to build you something similar?
Old 06-01-18, 09:24 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,487 Times in 7,316 Posts
Hard to say without seeing your floor plan. The first floor of my house isn't that large and when I was living with someone we had as many as 5 bikes on the first floor and out of the way. Two were on a wall rack. Two were in a space between the door and the stairs leading to the second floor and one rested against the back of the loveseat.