Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Well, I did it again...

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Well, I did it again...

Old 10-11-17, 02:06 PM
ksywa

Bikes: 2005 LeMond Zurich, 2015 Troll, 2016 Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
I guess I should mention that whatever model I get, will be a frame only and I will build it up and flat bar only.

Part of why I am so undecided is that I have a set of brand new 26" wheels, tyres & tubes, plus XT V-brakes, just waiting to go on to a bike, so both the LHT and Troll are contenders here.

But as I also have two bikes with 29" wheels and disc brakes, standardising on that wheel size and disc brakes, would lead me to the Ogre.

Eventually I could always put my new 26" wheels and XT V-brakes on to my 1995 Trek 830, which was my original plan at one point, before the Toughroad caught my eye.
Uhm... You can put 26" on any of the frames.. You maybe able to squeeze 29" into a troll frame, and you probably can (rim dependent ) put a wheel with disc on it - or take disc off - into a frame with V brakes, but why ?

Are 26" inchers disc-able ?
If not, then I'd suggest to build a 26"/vbrake troll; if you like, keep it, if not, sell.. and then you will know if you like Surly enough to get an ogre or KM with 29" + disc. Treat troll as prototype/experiment to dial all the components..

Nothing is permanent on Earth - except death. Keep pedaling, Colonel !

/ksywa
Old 10-11-17, 07:23 PM
Scooty Puff Jr

Bikes: I'm a Flatbar Guy

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ksywa

Nothing is permanent on Earth - except death...
...and taxes.
Old 05-04-18, 11:53 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,416 Times in 2,525 Posts
Hey man, thanks very much for posting this!

I just got a used Krampus, it was a custom build set up as 2x10, and I am going to convert it back to 1x10 the way god intended.

I plan to keep using the RD, which is the exact same as the one you've got, and going from 22/36 up front to just 28T, I'm not going to make it up the hills around here with 11-36 so I need a wider cassette. I see you've got the 11-42 on there, which is exactly what I want to use.

Any problems with reaching that 42? Do you still have the shadow mounted just on the frame, or did you need an extra hanger to get some more space?
Old 05-06-18, 05:30 PM
ksywa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
Hey man, thanks very much for posting this!

I just got a used Krampus, it was a custom build set up as 2x10, and I am going to convert it back to 1x10 the way god intended.

I plan to keep using the RD, which is the exact same as the one you've got, and going from 22/36 up front to just 28T, I'm not going to make it up the hills around here with 11-36 so I need a wider cassette. I see you've got the 11-42 on there, which is exactly what I want to use.

Any problems with reaching that 42? Do you still have the shadow mounted just on the frame, or did you need an extra hanger to get some more space?
No problems shifting into high gear. No need for goatlink or any special hanger; using a microshift thumbie, indexed - the way I like it. Sweet setup, great for all-around pedaling.

Enjoy the bike ! ( mine is 33 front, and looking to put NW 34, I still can spin out easliy on flats.. )

/ksywa
Old 05-06-18, 05:45 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Well I just an hour ago pulled the trigger on Surly Narrow-Wide 28T for the front, Sunrace 10sp 11-42 for the back, and since it was only $18.95 and within budget, I ordered a goatlink as well. I saw links showing others using a goatlink for this RD and 11-42, so it seemed like a good idea. Hoping to make a few bucks back selling the front shifter and FD on CL. Will keep the 11-36 cassette around as a spare for other bikes.

Gear calculator comparison before and after. Tire size of 60-622 is a little small. Bottom mph at cadence 60 = climbing speed 3.1 --> 3.5mph. Spin-out at 120 drops 35-->27mph. Really a 26T would have been a better match for the bottom end, but there's not a lot of selection for 58bcd chainrings!
Old 05-06-18, 07:04 PM
ksywa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats ! Let us know how you like the 1x10 setup on Krampus. What tyres you are running ?
/ksywa
Old 05-06-18, 07:27 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

They've got stock Surly Knards 29x3. Fairly worn, but I hope to get at least 1000mi out of them before I have to replace. Oddly, the center tread knobs look in very good shape, as well as the extreme ones out to the sidewalls, but the median ones have all the wear. Maybe not much wear is applied to the center tread when rolling easy, but turning applies sideways force that wears those knobs out quickest?

Might replace with WTB Ranger, they're supposed to be fast-rolling, and everything is hard/dry here in SoCal.