Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Paris to London

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Paris to London

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-18, 09:48 AM
TexasFargo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Paris to London

I'm considering riding from Paris to London via Dunkirk this October (flying in from the US). I see a lot of posts about London to Paris, but the reverse route barely gets a mention (at least in the searches I've done). I'm interested in hearing if there is a good reason not to ride in that direction. From what I understand, the prevailing winds are SW, so would Paris to London be the preferred direction?

Thanks

--Paul
Old 05-17-18, 01:31 PM
axolotl

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 88 Posts
I rode essentially from Paris to London. I didn't follow a direct route because there were some sights I wanted to see. I took the ferry from Dieppe to Newhaven (a bit east of Brighton). I suspect that French cyclists are more likely to have gone from Paris->London, and British cyclist from London->Paris. I don't think it makes any substantial difference where you start from.
Old 05-23-18, 03:44 AM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by TexasFargo
From what I understand, the prevailing winds are SW, so would Paris to London be the preferred direction?
I rode Dieppe to Paris a few years ago and had a wonderful westerly tailwind all the way.
The wind comes off the Atlantic, across the British Isles and usually helps one crossing France from west to east.

If it’s more southerly (coming from the Sahara) it’ll be warmer... more northerly, colder coming from Scandinavia... in general of course.

Bon Voyage!