Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Backpack that holds a helmet externally ?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-18, 01:52 PM
pakeboi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 29 Posts

There's Osprey and Deuter ; any others ?
Old 05-20-18, 03:46 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3458 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
If you hang your helmet from the helmet straps to a backpack, all backpacks will externally carry a helmet.

Old 05-20-18, 05:44 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
And if you are moving on your bicycle, your helmet should be on your noggin and not on your pack.
Old 05-21-18, 02:05 AM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Meh. Helmets aren’t a big deal on normal, not too busy roads. They’re just hot and mat your hair to your head so you look bad for the rest of the day. I usually strap mine to the rear rack when touring, only wearing it on sketchy roads or fast descents.
Old 05-21-18, 02:50 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18369 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
I wear the helmet most of the time. Peer pressure to do so? I have taken it off for riding a few specific times, in particular on hot days when straining hard, and I determined it was safer to keep a cool head than to wear the helmet.

For walking around stores, I typically tie the chin straps of the helmet to the carrying strap across the top of the pack.
Old 05-21-18, 05:45 AM
ggoytia1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A d ring will go anywhere, if you need to lock it they have lockable d ring for motorcycle helmet or a cheap gun lock. Stop at any gun store they will more than likely give you one or sell it very cheap.
Old 05-21-18, 06:23 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by 3speed
Meh. Helmets aren’t a big deal on normal, not too busy roads. They’re just hot and mat your hair to your head so you look bad for the rest of the day. I usually strap mine to the rear rack when touring, only wearing it on sketchy roads or fast descents.
How is a fall on a "normal, not too busy road" different from a fall on a busy road?
Old 05-21-18, 06:25 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by CliffordK

For walking around stores, I typically tie the chin straps of the helmet to the carrying strap across the top of the pack.
I leave my helmet on the handlebar. Bags or no bags. I get in the habit of leaving it in the same place.
Old 05-21-18, 08:58 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
As said, just use the helmet straps when not pedaling.
Old 05-21-18, 06:40 PM
3speed

Originally Posted by spinnaker
How is a fall on a "normal, not too busy road" different from a fall on a busy road?
Because the chances of getting hit by a car(the only real reason I can see to wear a helmet) are a lot less on a normal, not too busy road.
Old 05-21-18, 09:31 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4342 Post(s)
Liked 3,978 Times in 2,659 Posts
Uhhh because like uhhhh well you know you can't fall unless there is a certain amount of traffic, it is Newtons third law of stuff and things.

Those who feel the need to take off a helmet because their head is hot should consider a better more ventilated helmet (Lazer Z1 and Giro Synthe are some of my favorites due to their low weight and good venting) Also a cycling cap made from a cooling material can help along with wetting the cap to cool you down. I have long hair and get hot very easily but my head doesn't get super hot because I have a nice well ventilated, lightweight helmet and on the hot days will wet my cycling cap and that helps greatly. Also staying hydrated and fueled is important but you already knew that.

You don't need the helmet till you need it and when you need it you really need it and having it adjacent is not really going to help. You can control yourself and what you do but you cannot control the world around you and things can happen anytime.

Also Osprey makes some excellent cycling packs that can hold a helmet for when you are traveling not on a bike!
Old 05-22-18, 04:52 AM
3speed

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Uhhh because like uhhhh well you know you can't fall unless there is a certain amount of traffic, it is Newtons third law of stuff and thIngs
Uhhh, because like, uuuhhh the reason that I very plainly and Nicely stated directly above you. Don’t be childish and pull the mocking making fun of routine. Do some research and realize bike crashes/falls aren’t even close to a large percentage of TBI(traumatic brain injury) patients and your mom didn’t kniw what she was talking about when she taught you how important it was. That or make sure you’re out making fun of everyone else who engages in activities daily that are statisticslly much more risky and they “should” be wearing a helmet for. 🙄
Old 05-22-18, 06:47 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Because the chances of getting hit by a car(the only real reason I can see to wear a helmet) are a lot less on a normal, not too busy road.
If you get hit by a car than falling on your head is only part of the problem. Wear or don't wear your helmet. I don't really care. I will be wearing mine while I am moving on my bike. Just like I have always used a seat belt when riding in my car regardless of what kind of road I am on or what the statistics say.
Old 05-22-18, 10:08 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3458 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
I was really glad that I was wearing a helmet on a bike trail (no cars) when I had a bad crash. I have no idea how bad my head would have been damaged if I did not have a helmet on, but it took two shoulder surgeries and almost three years of physical therapy for me to get to not-quite normal, but mostly functional. Thus, it is very possible that I would have had a very serious head injury too.

Thus, I think there is a certain amount of Darwin's theory to who wears helmets and who does not.

My helmet hit the ground hard enough that my mirror that was attached to the helmet was busted in two different places.
Old 05-22-18, 05:40 PM
3speed

Yay, another helmet debate thread! :eyeroll: Well I didn't even say anyone should or shouldn't wear a helmet up there. I just said that having a mocking, making fun of attitude is childish and uncalled for. But anywho, there's no question, head injuries definitely happen sometimes. However, the statistics are clear that the risk isn't particularly high. You have a MUCH higher chance of a head injury in a car, yet no one is out preaching the stupidity of not wearing a helmet while in a car. Other than those who have had a bad crash and now feel safer with protective gear, people most likely just feel like you should wear a helmet while biking simply because you were told you should when you were a child. Children, with less coordination, often still developing the skills of riding a bike and good judgement, absolutely should wear a helmet. As an adult with good bike handling skills and sound judgement, I'll go with physical comfort and science(statistical data). Oh, and not to mention my striking good looks that are completely ruined by hat hair. : P Maybe it'll kill me someday. I regularly participate in statistically much riskier activities on a regular basis(as do all of you, most likely). I don't wear protective gear in those situations either.

I always strongly advocate For wearing a helmet when cycling off-road, where the odds of falling and finding a rock with your head are much higher. My helmet has also saved me from a pretty decent knock by my rear wheel once while mountain biking. I went over the bars and Bam, rear wheel smacks into my helmet.
Old 05-22-18, 05:45 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by pakeboi
There's Osprey and Deuter ; any others ?
We use these skiing. They have a great helmet sling that stows nicely and a great design. In the summer we use them for our biking stuff as well.

https://backcountryaccess.com/produc...0-black-16-17/

J.
Old 05-22-18, 09:26 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I just answered this one , you double posting?

Fitting an Ortlieb mesh add on adds a helmet carry on anything you own..

Last edited by fietsbob; 05-22-18 at 09:32 PM.
Old 05-23-18, 06:31 AM
rifraf

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Extrawheel Trailer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 30 Posts
The backpack that holds a helmet externally that i use is this one by Macpac:
https://www.macpac.com.au/rapaki-vented-30-daypack.html

I'm happy enough with it though less enamoured with the waist strap which isn't as well executed as the earlier model 28 litre.
Old 05-23-18, 10:28 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4342 Post(s)
Liked 3,978 Times in 2,659 Posts
My answer was less a direct jab at you and more the general idea you presented, if I had intended to go direct to you I would have quoted you or mentioned your name. However your answer didn't really make sense because it assumes that only a busy road a car is a danger.

I can somewhat understand the no helmet all the time people because at least they don't care at all but you take an odd position where you care on only certain roads.

Maybe a helmet might not totally protect against everything and maybe brain damage to some isn't a big deal and maybe you had a Mother who said wear a helmet and you are a rebel?, but for me I would rather have it there and never need it then not have it and need it. Plus with the lightweight well ventilated helmets on the market from a bunch of different brands and great moisture wicking fabrics there is no need to ride around in a helmet that is uncomfortable that you want to take off.
Old 05-24-18, 07:01 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Put me in the corner with @Tourist in MSN. Most of my backpacks have some sort of loop that I just chinstrap the helmet to.

Yay, another helmet debate thread! :eyeroll: Well I didn't even say anyone should or shouldn't wear a helmet up there. I just said that having a mocking, making fun of attitude is childish and uncalled for.
To be fair, you started it with the "childish" view that helmets are only useful on busy roads where you are likely to get hit by a car, and perpetuated it with the even more "childish" notion that whacking your head falling form 5' at an initial velocity of 15mph isn't really a cause of head injury

Last edited by jefnvk; 05-24-18 at 07:30 AM.
Old 05-24-18, 11:17 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,518 Times in 7,324 Posts
Duh. If you fall while riding a not too busy road and no one hears it you don't get injured.
Old 05-24-18, 11:22 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,518 Times in 7,324 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
and perpetuated it with the even more "childish" notion that whacking your head falling form 5' at an initial velocity of 15mph isn't really a cause of head injury
IKR. A woman I knew was brushed by a car and fell. She wasn't going fast at all. She wasn't injured by the impact of the car but rather by her head colliding with the blacktop. (Broke her jaw, too, but a helmet would not have prevented that.) Suffered a serious closed head injury that required her being put in a medically-induced coma. I went to see her in the hospital post-coma. I almost puked when I saw her condition.
Old 05-24-18, 11:39 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
IKR. A woman I knew was brushed by a car and fell. She wasn't going fast at all. She wasn't injured by the impact of the car but rather by her head colliding with the blacktop. (Broke her jaw, too, but a helmet would not have prevented that.) Suffered a serious closed head injury that required her being put in a medically-induced coma. I went to see her in the hospital post-coma. I almost puked when I saw her condition.
Yep. I was at a hockey tournament a few years back. Ref came out on the ice for warmups without a helmet, was just standing there and awkwardly fell and hit his head. Got carted off on a stretcher unresponsive, and sadly died a few days later in hospital. Serious head injuries from innocuous sounding events are always a very real possibility.
Old 05-25-18, 07:03 PM
3speed

To be fair, you started it with the "childish" view that helmets are only useful on busy roads where you are likely to get hit by a car, and perpetuated it with the even more "childish" notion that whacking your head falling form 5' at an initial velocity of 15mph isn't really a cause of head injury
Well I certainly never said they were only useful on busy roads. And I certainly never said, or even implied that a five foot fall at speed isn't a cause for head injury. What I said, and you wish to pretend doesn't exist and imply that I'm just going on my "feelings" or something, is that years of recorded statistical data show that the risk is minimal, and you're just being blind to the facts by worrying about wearing a helmet while biking, but not in other situations in which you're Much more likely to have a TBI. Use the googles before saying my views are childish. Your views are unfounded. If you want to wear a helmet, by all means do so. You'll be safer and it doesn't hurt anyone. But don't attack others for your preferences. Especially when yours are based on a pretty unlikely fear that you were taught to have, and the view of not bothering with a helmet is based on recorded evidence.

I really don't understand why some helmet supporters always feel the need to get gung-ho and attack and insult others for simply disagreeing with them, and on a topic that doesn't even affect them.
Old 05-25-18, 07:11 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4369 Post(s)
Liked 1,546 Times in 1,012 Posts
Put me in the corner with @Tourist in MSN. Most of my backpacks have some sort of loop that I just chinstrap the helmet to.

It isn't "childish" at all to think that you might not need as much protective gear when you are doing something with substantially decreased risk of having an accident.

Do you wear a helmet to take a walk, even around dangerous concrete? Someone slipping on ice is not exactly a revelation, but most people don't just fall off their bikes.

To the OP, some packs have cords crisscrossed on the back that will fit a helmet.

Last edited by Kontact; 05-25-18 at 10:59 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.