Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Camping hammocks

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Camping hammocks

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-18, 12:25 AM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
their cheapest option for that is $300. that's hilarious.

--------------------

my god, I'm starting to realize this hammock thing is kind of like this bicycle thing.. now i understand why people think i'm nuts about bicycles. there are people out there who are nuts about hammocks.

warbonnet eldorado
dream hammock XXXbird
dutch chameleon
etc
etc
etc....
"why not just get both? it's gonna happen eventually"
"I love all of my hammocks"
"it's really down to personal preference"
AAAHHHHHHHHH
Old 05-16-18, 03:44 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts

I have all three they are suggesting. They are all great. The most innovative is Chameleon from Dutch. I have it set up as a two person hammock.

My wife uses the Dream hammock as a solo. I forgot the model but it has integrated net stashed in the left pocket and integrated cover stashed in the right...it's brilliant

I use warbonnet blackbird as a solo. I love the integrated shelf.

Neither of the three is any good without a proper underquilt.

Originally Posted by spectastic
well, i got a thread going on the hammock forum. the 3 i listed were the warbonnet eldorado, skeeter beeter, and hennessy explorer. everyone is basically telling me to go with the eldorado, which is the same as the blackbird, except cheaper and simpler.

they also suggest two more brands which are apparently just as good, the dream hammocks and dutch hammocks.

Last edited by PedalingWalrus; 05-16-18 at 05:35 AM.
Old 05-16-18, 03:08 PM
fantom1 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chrisx
unless
it is hot out. With no insulation at all, the hammock can weigh less than a tent and sleeping pad.
Definitely, agreed.

Most of those places rain a lot too, so I'd still chose a tent.
Old 05-16-18, 09:22 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,957 Times in 2,645 Posts
I am extremely happy with my ENO hammock (I have a double deluxe and a single nest) I got the one-link system so I have bug net and rainfly for when I need them. Probably the best sleep I have gotten camping is in my hammock.

I personally wouldn't go all in one but if I was going to do that ENO makes the Jungle Nest. Though having another hammock in the quiver means I could go for Junglenest and save some minor hassle with the Guardian bug net and have a plain hammock for chilling.
Old 05-17-18, 09:11 AM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by fantom1
Definitely, agreed.

Most of those places rain a lot too, so I'd still chose a tent.
For staying dry, I'll take a hammock over a tent any day. Safely above any water that collects on the ground.

On the other hand, if you're spending a day waiting for the rain to pass by, a hammock can get old quickly.
Old 05-17-18, 11:26 AM
phughes

Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob_E
For staying dry, I'll take a hammock over a tent any day. Safely above any water that collects on the ground.

On the other hand, if you're spending a day waiting for the rain to pass by, a hammock can get old quickly.
I actually enjoyed the hammock while waiting out the rain. I had a tarp on the ground though and the tarp over the hammock was good sized. I basically lounged in the hammock reading. I could get under it though and sit if I wanted. All my gear was under the hammock as well as the bike, so that was a nice added benefit as well. The nice thing is, packing up in the rain was not bad, you can pack up the hammock itself with the tarp still hanging, so you stay dry as does the hammock. The only thing wet is the tarp itself.
Old 05-17-18, 12:06 PM
Rob_E

Originally Posted by phughes
I actually enjoyed the hammock while waiting out the rain. I had a tarp on the ground though and the tarp over the hammock was good sized. I basically lounged in the hammock reading. I could get under it though and sit if I wanted. All my gear was under the hammock as well as the bike, so that was a nice added benefit as well. The nice thing is, packing up in the rain was not bad, you can pack up the hammock itself with the tarp still hanging, so you stay dry as does the hammock. The only thing wet is the tarp itself.
Yeah, now that I have a nice, big tarp, it's much better. I started out with a tarp just big enough to keep the hammock dry, so doing anything other than lying in the hammock was going to get you wet.
Old 05-17-18, 01:31 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts

If you sit sideways it makes a comfy lounge.
Old 05-17-18, 04:34 PM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 2,633 Times in 944 Posts
This may be dumb question. But I can't sleep on my back. Can you sleep on your side in a hammock?
Old 05-17-18, 04:39 PM
dh024

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by locolobo13
This may be dumb question. But I can't sleep on my back. Can you sleep on your side in a hammock?
I am a side-sleeper, also. I can almost manage it in a hammock, if I lay diagonally, but I usually wake up on my back by morning.
It definitely beats side-sleeping on a pad in tent, even with a cushy air pad.
Old 05-17-18, 08:53 PM
phughes

Yeah, now that I have a nice, big tarp, it's much better. I started out with a tarp just big enough to keep the hammock dry, so doing anything other than lying in the hammock was going to get you wet.
I have the Mamajamba. It isn't huge, but it is decent sized, and does the job.
Old 05-17-18, 08:54 PM
phughes

I can in the Blackbird. It will depend on the hammock.
Old 05-18-18, 03:05 PM
Rob_E

I tend to sleep on my side, too, and I can in my Blackbird XLC, but I also find that I'm more likely to sleep on my back in the hammock than I am in my bed at home.
Old 05-21-18, 05:09 AM
ggoytia1

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I sleep on my side in both my blackbird and Clark.
Now the next thing you need to is start looking up stealth/ninja/gorilla camping. If you decide to go this route keep in mind the risk and the dangers. I have never had a problem with animals, people or UFOs (lol).
Either way look up they way the neutral colors blend in to their environment.

As for the tent yes it has its place but for Texas we have the evil fire ants, chiggers, fleas ( keep that in mind) Take a sack for your shoes and keep off the ground. The dollar tree has a tiny foam kick board for kids that you can use to stand up and get dressed on. Use a knife and cut it down from top to bottom to be be able to fold it. Reinforce the cuts with some sort of tape. Also a small battery powered fan will circulate the air in there when the breeze is not available.

Last edited by ggoytia1; 05-21-18 at 05:24 AM.
Old 05-21-18, 05:14 AM
ggoytia1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Forgot to vote in... Bb warbonnet me.
Old 05-21-18, 05:22 AM
ggoytia1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One last thing. Check if your library has this but but I suggest you buy and actually read it.
It's will basically be your Bible for anything Hammock

The Untimate Hang
Old 05-21-18, 09:15 PM
bikebasket

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been looking at hammocks recently.

One thing i need to find out is for side sleepers can you really sleep in a hammock with your back straight on your side, as i can't sleep on my back? I've read side sleeping is possible in a gathered hammock if you sleep diagonally, but you really want a straight spine if you're on a bike all day no?

I'm 6ft tall, so was thinking about a ''double'' gathered hammock, OR a bridge hammock.

Like the look of this DIY bridge hammock. Just the problem of rigging up a mozzie net on it if in the tropics. ;

Sydney Heritage Fleet
Old 05-24-18, 11:42 AM
phughes

Originally Posted by bikebasket
I've been looking at hammocks recently.

One thing i need to find out is for side sleepers can you really sleep in a hammock with your back straight on your side, as i can't sleep on my back? I've read side sleeping is possible in a gathered hammock if you sleep diagonally, but you really want a straight spine if you're on a bike all day no?

I'm 6ft tall, so was thinking about a ''double'' gathered hammock, OR a bridge hammock.

Like the look of this DIY bridge hammock. Just the problem of rigging up a mozzie net on it if in the tropics. ;

Sydney Heritage Fleet
Warbonnet Blackbird. I'm only about an inch or two shorter than you and it is extremely comfortable after a day's ride. The first time I used it, was on a tour. I always thought I woke when the sun came up when camping because, well, the sun. I didn't wake with the sun in the Blackbird, and when I did wake, I was very rested. In the tent, I woke because it wasn't as comfortable, so when the sun came up, I was up.

The Blackbird has a footbox, designed so you can sleep diagonally across the hammock.
Old 05-27-18, 06:09 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I ordered a warbonnet eldorado double layer lightweight. It has the same cut as the xlc, except cheaper and without the storage space inside that everyone loves. But you can easily rig something up like tying the stuff sack to the ridge line. So I’m super excited !

btw warbonnet is having a sale, maybe for the weekend idk, but saved myself $30 or so