Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

My bailout gear needs a bailout gear. Sigh.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

My bailout gear needs a bailout gear. Sigh.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-18, 12:09 PM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane, Bianchi Intenso, Specialized Epic Evo, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Some other stuff

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Well HTFU groups exist for all the different disciplines. But yeah I was wondering about the fixie thing too, but then realized this is the road bike subforum. And don't get me started on those Ebikers that can't tolerate any statement that has the remotest implied negative to their chosen vehicle of choice... a motorbike <grin>. They seem to find such comments no matter where you are even when on a forum about firewall software for a computer.

As for the this whole mess of people thinking you have to have a 11-28 to give you proper road bike qualities and get yourself into the proper physical condition to use them. BULL. I think those beliefs stem from the days when we talked about a 12-25 as a road cassette and a 14-34 as a mountain cassette. But those where 5 and 6 speed groups then due to the technology of the day and riding technique had to adapt. With eleven speed groups and now some 12 on road bikes things are much different. So some old thinking has to go away.

Still not sure why high cadence is thought of as new or unhealthy by some. Even the old people that ran the local schwinn cycling shop in my town back in the 60's told me not to mash. But it took me 40 years before I listened and understood why. I'm also wondering if the term spinning is getting contorted to imply the training discipline of those extreme types on stationary spin cycles in the gym.

Good post!
Old 05-18-18, 12:49 PM
bogydave

Bikes: /Skye/ Torker mt, Sirrus flat bar

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 10 Posts
FWIW
As you get older it becomes near impossible to HTFU
Realistically it becomes a struggle just to maintain.
So HTFU about the performance drop experienced as we age.

Football, hockey, basketball most are done by age 35
Even golfers have a senior tour after age 55
Cyclist age 18 -30

IMO
to tell someone over the age of 55 to HTFU, translates to
ATFP
Accept the ***** Pain

Oh yea I have a 11-36 cassette, 50/34 crank & times I hit the shifter looking for a 40.
Old 05-19-18, 10:45 AM
Wheever

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6 disk, 2016 Scott Big Jon Fat Bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Welp, maiden voyage accomplished yesterday, and it's all I hoped it would be!

I was able to spin in and above 90 rpm for a vastly larger percentage of the ride--data shows it.

I set a PR on every single one of the climbing segments (most of the segments are climbing segments, lol) and got off the bike with none of that tell-tale knee pain on the lower front of my knees.

My quads weren't burned out, like the last couple rides, and the feeling of being "used" was balanced well between my quads, Hams, and glutes, which is pretty much how I usually feel after a ride on my more typical flat routes. I only had to stand once, on the driveway coming back, and I bailed on that because it must be a 30% grade. Walked the last 20'.

There is some technical discussion to be had, as I used the old chain, and mostly stayed off the 50 ring, but all in all everything functioned well and smoothly on the small ring, except when on the 40 cog, which made a bit of noise, but I didn't spend a lot of time tuning as I wanted to get out and ride! The 50 ring won't shift at all past the 36 cog, which is fine, but I didn't want to mistakenly try and shift higher and blow it up at speed.

So far this has been a complete success, and I'm very pleased.
Old 05-19-18, 10:52 AM
Wheever

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Well HTFU groups exist for all the different disciplines. But yeah I was wondering about the fixie thing too, but then realized this is the road bike subforum. And don't get me started on those Ebikers that can't tolerate any statement that has the remotest implied negative to their chosen vehicle of choice... a motorbike <grin>. They seem to find such comments no matter where you are even when on a forum about firewall software for a computer.

As for the this whole mess of people thinking you have to have a 11-28 to give you proper road bike qualities and get yourself into the proper physical condition to use them. BULL. I think those beliefs stem from the days when we talked about a 12-25 as a road cassette and a 14-34 as a mountain cassette. But those where 5 and 6 speed groups then due to the technology of the day and riding technique had to adapt. With eleven speed groups and now some 12 on road bikes things are much different. So some old thinking has to go away.

Still not sure why high cadence is thought of as new or unhealthy by some. Even the old people that ran the local schwinn cycling shop in my town back in the 60's told me not to mash. But it took me 40 years before I listened and understood why. I'm also wondering if the term spinning is getting contorted to imply the training discipline of those extreme types on stationary spin cycles in the gym.
I would love to have a 12-40 or even 14-40 for this terrain. Tighter cog intervals and still have that climbing gear.

Actually, I was surprised how well the cogs were spaced on this 11-40, which is a mountain cassette. Maybe I just didn't notice the jumps as much because the terrain changes so quickly, but at no point did I feel like I went from too hard to too easy, really. At least not so much that it bugged me in terms of cadence rhythm. The ascending shifts at the bottom of the cassette were also nicely spaced, even though I expected a huge jump.
Old 05-19-18, 11:12 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Im betting your chain is too short if you reused the old one. That might explain noise in the 40t. That and/or you need to adjust the B-screw.
Old 05-19-18, 11:25 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 472 Posts
I'd match a new chain to a new cassette, chains are cheap! I have the 11-40 on my 1x mtb and think the intervals are just fine. Fwiw after you make sure there's no physical contact happening I think you'll have to settle for a little noise on the 40t. Those big sprockets are able to fit because they're offset clear back from the end of the freehub, up the spoke dishing, so the chain line gets a little extreme. On my mtb in the 34-40 you'll hear the chain get a little louder.

I agree it would be nice to have a 12-40, the 11 to 13 jump is a little much but after that the jumps are fine. I think the 31,35,40 is perfect spacing for great cadence control on climbs.

Btw did I miss which cassette you bought?
Old 05-19-18, 01:17 PM
Wheever

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by GrainBrain
I'd match a new chain to a new cassette, chains are cheap! I have the 11-40 on my 1x mtb and think the intervals are just fine. Fwiw after you make sure there's no physical contact happening I think you'll have to settle for a little noise on the 40t. Those big sprockets are able to fit because they're offset clear back from the end of the freehub, up the spoke dishing, so the chain line gets a little extreme. On my mtb in the 34-40 you'll hear the chain get a little louder.

I agree it would be nice to have a 12-40, the 11 to 13 jump is a little much but after that the jumps are fine. I think the 31,35,40 is perfect spacing for great cadence control on climbs.

Btw did I miss which cassette you bought?
I bought a Shimano cs-M8000. It's hilarious how huge it is.

Yeah, the spacing was really good. Might be as I get stronger again, I won't think so.

Later in the year I might get an ultegra 8000 clutch RD and get the 11-34 cassette, but I'll have to get a LOT stronger than I am now.
Old 05-19-18, 05:19 PM
trainsktg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Wheever

I set a PR on every single one of the climbing segments (most of the segments are climbing segments, lol) and got off the bike with none of that tell-tale knee pain on the lower front of my knees.

My quads weren't burned out, like the last couple rides, and the feeling of being "used" was balanced well between my quads, Hams, and glutes, which is pretty much how I usually feel after a ride on my more typical flat routes.
Excellent news.

Keith
Old 05-19-18, 11:14 PM
carlton

Bikes: canondale silk trail--92 schwinn criss cross--sun atlas x type--fugi odessa--2018 trek domane ALR5 disc

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I would love to have a 12-40 or even 14-40 for this terrain. Tighter cog intervals and still have that climbing gear.

Actually, I was surprised how well the cogs were spaced on this 11-40, which is a mountain cassette. Maybe I just didn't notice the jumps as much because the terrain changes so quickly, but at no point did I feel like I went from too hard to too easy, really. At least not so much that it bugged me in terms of cadence rhythm. The ascending shifts at the bottom of the cassette were also nicely spaced, even though I expected a huge jump.
I have been looking for a custom cassette myself. The only one I have found is Miche. don't know much about them. They claim 105/ultegra shifting performance and durability. https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/products/miche-11-speed-primato-custom-cassettes-for-shimano-sram EDIT-- however they only go to 34Tooth.

Last edited by carlton; 05-20-18 at 12:02 AM.
Old 05-20-18, 12:32 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
I bought a Shimano cs-M8000. It's hilarious how huge it is.

Yeah, the spacing was really good. Might be as I get stronger again, I won't think so.
I think that is usually the case. As your level of performance changes, so to will your needs. I'll need to change again in a year or two if I continue to improve.
Old 05-23-18, 08:49 PM
exime

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
12-25 is a game changer (50/34). I upgraded my cassette along with my wheelset from 11-28 as recommended. Now I can sit in the big ring on the flats and small gradients. Small ring when I hit a certain % gradient. I could see how a really strong rider would spin out on 12-25 but it works great for me.
Old 05-24-18, 10:47 PM
Wheever

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I just got to do a 25 miler today. Still very happy with the cassette.

I Actually passed a guy on a long grade! He looked at me like he was seeing a ghost. I said as I passed "don't worry. I'm cheating. Mt bike cassette." And he gave my bike a quick look over and gave me the strangest look. Anyway.

Even with the 40, it was a hard ride for me. I could never have done it with the 32. Just all hills. Hill after hill after hill. But I'll get used to it.
Old 05-25-18, 07:49 AM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
I just got to do a 25 miler today. Still very happy with the cassette.

I Actually passed a guy on a long grade! He looked at me like he was seeing a ghost. I said as I passed "don't worry. I'm cheating. Mt bike cassette." And he gave my bike a quick look over and gave me the strangest look. Anyway.

Even with the 40, it was a hard ride for me. I could never have done it with the 32. Just all hills. Hill after hill after hill. But I'll get used to it.
it's not cheating when you put out more w/kg to pass him