Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Convince me why I need a Colnago Master

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Convince me why I need a Colnago Master

Old 05-24-18, 07:49 PM
tmh657

Bikes: A few BSO's.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia

You don’t “need” a Colnago Master. Once you get one, however, you will know why they are such great bikes to own and ride.

They are not the lightest steel bikes, but they are lively on the road and steady during descents.

They are not full of “modern” features but the Masters are cool looking and always attract an appreciative crowd. (I love looking down on the top tube and seeing that little painted rider.)

There are other steel bikes with a strong racing heritage, but the Masters have strong Italian DNA.

I own three Colnagos, including a Master, and one Bottecchia: two CF and two steel. I enjoy riding all four of them.

So no, you don’t need a Master, but if you are considering othe equally priced steel bikes I would give stron consideration to a Master.

Ride safely!
Nice paint. Not too wacky IMO. I think I can go with over the top paint. Life is short as they say.
Old 05-24-18, 09:28 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3463 Post(s)
Liked 2,826 Times in 1,994 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
I was hoping for some firsthand Colnago riding knowledge. NVRMND.
I have a number of Colnagos. There is a slight evolution of the geometry over the decades, but all share a common theme.
For their lot they are a bit sharper handling, they request attention and deliver entertaining handling.
I think they are best at rides under two hours, not my first choice for an all day last two hours finding one very tired ride.
Not a classic 70's criterium bike, the bottom bracket is too low, they do have in general short front center dimensions, the mix of head angle and fork rake makes the steering rewarding but I think requires attention more than say a Masi of the same year.
The Mexico model one feels a bit "loose", I will attribute that to the light tubing.
In my size range, they are otherwise probably all SL or equal to SL, I place SLX essentials the same, only advantage is a stiffer tube to mount the front derailleur braze on to.

Gios went shorter on the top tube for a given size but added a bit of fork rake at least in my sizes.
My Grandis is my "poor man's" Colnago, very similar.
Old 05-24-18, 10:16 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
I have a number of Colnagos. There is a slight evolution of the geometry over the decades, but all share a common theme.
For their lot they are a bit sharper handling, they request attention and deliver entertaining handling.
I think they are best at rides under two hours, not my first choice for an all day last two hours finding one very tired ride.
Not a classic 70's criterium bike, the bottom bracket is too low, they do have in general short front center dimensions, the mix of head angle and fork rake makes the steering rewarding but I think requires attention more than say a Masi of the same year.
The Mexico model one feels a bit "loose", I will attribute that to the light tubing.
In my size range, they are otherwise probably all SL or equal to SL, I place SLX essentials the same, only advantage is a stiffer tube to mount the front derailleur braze on to.

Gios went shorter on the top tube for a given size but added a bit of fork rake at least in my sizes.
I suppose everyone’s experience is different, but I do not agree with your statement regarding the comfort of Colnagos over long rides.

I ride both my C59 and my C60 on long rides—5 hours +

Not once did I feel tired or “abused” by the bike between my legs. Not once have I felt like I wanted to end my ride. Not once have I felt, “gee I am glad the ride is over.”

In fact the contrary is often true. The longer the ride, the longer I want to keep on riding.

Maybe the fact that I am an old(er) rider, with diabetes and six coronary stents has something to do with it. But with plenty of climbing around these parts I never feel too tired to keep riding my bikes.

The handling on my Colnagos is sharp, sure, precise and accurate. Never squirrely or scary.

But like I wrote, everyone’s experience is different.
Old 05-24-18, 10:17 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by tmh657
Nice paint. Not too wacky IMO. I think I can go with over the top paint. Life is short as they say.
Grazie!
Old 05-24-18, 11:00 PM
Mackers

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 140 Posts
Currently I have ten Colnagos, and while my Masters (Olympic and Piu) sure have great paint jobs they're not my "best riding" bikes by far.

My preference would be my C40, closely followed by my Superissimo and both my Nuovo Mexicos (Zoetemelk liveried Nuovo Mexcio is the prettiest bike ever), my 1999 Tecnos, my Crystal and only then the Olympic and Piu. Funnily enough my other two Tecnos are my least favorite for whatever reason.

Personally I just find my Masters not as lively compared to the much "lighter" feel of the Mexicos and the Superissimo. I just always associate my Masters with the hard slogs through nasty winter and spring weather that I use them for
The C40 is just all about day long comfort to me. I rode that bike home when I bought it, 105 miles in jeans on a saddle I didn't even like, and it was just a joy from start to finish.
(anyone need a Selle Italia Max Flite Gel Flow Team Edition in white but with a slight blue hue ?)
Old 05-25-18, 12:41 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3463 Post(s)
Liked 2,826 Times in 1,994 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia

I suppose everyone’s experience is different, but I do not agree with your statement regarding the comfort of Colnagos over long rides.

I ride both my C59 and my C60 on long rides—5 hours +

Not once did I feel tired or “abused” by the bike between my legs. Not once have I felt like I wanted to end my ride. Not once have I felt, “gee I am glad the ride is over.”

In fact the contrary is often true. The longer the ride, the longer I want to keep on riding.

Maybe the fact that I am an old(er) rider, with diabetes and six coronary stents has something to do with it. But with plenty of climbing around these parts I never feel too tired to keep riding my bikes.

The handling on my Colnagos is sharp, sure, precise and accurate. Never squirrely or scary.

But like I wrote, everyone’s experience is different.
Respectively, a C59 or C60 is a whole different thing. Mod, might be classic at some point, but not yet and not vintage. I like the C60 concept very much, but just not ready to open the wallet for one.
As this is the C&V part of the forums, I am referencing bikes between 1968 and 1983. That is the age range of my Colnagos.
Old 05-25-18, 01:02 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Respectively, a C59 or C60 is a whole different thing. Mod, might be classic at some point, but not yet and not vintage. I like the C60 concept very much, but just not ready to open the wallet for one.
As this is the C&V part of the forums, I am referencing bikes between 1968 and 1983. That is the age range of my Colnagos.
The Colnago Master is as old school as it gets in design and feel.

Never experienced any fatige while going on long, 5 hours plus rides.

Never have had any problems with the steering. It is as solid, sure and precise as the C59 or C60. In fact, being heavier makes it, I think; even more sure footed.

As I wrote earlier, people’s experiences vary. Yours obviously have.

Ride safely.
Old 05-26-18, 06:42 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked 6,547 Times in 3,757 Posts
Thank you for your opinions. I've never ridden a Colnago and have wondered what they are like.

Old 05-26-18, 07:19 PM
tmh657

Originally Posted by cb400bill
Thank you for your opinions. I've never ridden a Colnago and have wondered what they are like.
Ditto. I have been informed by the seller that the one I am interested in is a Master Light, not Olympic, for what it's worth. If I buy one what's the worst that can happen? I ride it and see for myself.
Old 05-26-18, 08:25 PM
72fuji

Bikes: fuji finest, klien pinacle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Personally, I say buy one that first off is your size, and then one that when you look at it you want to ride it. I was unsure but always wanted one from when I was young. I’ve ridden my Fuji Finest for 44yrs and alway wanted a pretty Italian bike. I’ve never been unhappy with the Fuji but I saw the Altain at the bike show in Ann Arbor swapped my components and love it. So I see my components going back on the Fuji, upgrading the Colnago with new(ish) and I will be buying another with the tube set I always wanted.... just because. (And a 90’s Gazelle....I just kinda want one)

thats my take, buy the best you can afford. I should have bought one along time ago 😉

Tony
Old 05-28-18, 02:32 PM
tmh657

Originally Posted by 72fuji
Personally, I say buy one that first off is your size, and then one that when you look at it you want to ride it.

Done and done. It should get here next Tuesday. I'll start with a parts bin build, (decent parts) to see what all the fuss is about, or not and go from there.
Old 05-28-18, 03:51 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Ditto. I have been informed by the seller that the one I am interested in is a Master Light, not Olympic, for what it's worth. If I buy one what's the worst that can happen? I ride it and see for myself.

Buy it and enjoy it. The worst that could happen is that you hate it. (Not likely though.)

Then you sell it.

Done!
Old 05-28-18, 03:52 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Done and done. It should get here next Tuesday. I'll start with a parts bin build, (decent parts) to see what all the fuss is about, or not and go from there.
Congrats and welcome to la familia.
Old 05-29-18, 02:51 PM
treebound 
aka: Mike J.

Bikes: 1995 Trek 520 is the current primary bike.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 39 Posts

I haven’t read all the replies so I will reply with my first hand understanding, and if I get something wrong then someone can correct me.

My Master Light rides nice in my opinion, and to my thinking it loves to corner. My understanding is that the Master Light is for a heavier framed rider and I think it has a weight limit of 230 pounds. The Olympics were either for lighter riders, or were an earlier version of the Master which was an earlier version of the Master Light. The actual facts of that last sentence depends upon who you believe and where you got the info from.

I wrote Colnago awhile back to try and figure out the year of my bike and Alessandro Colnago wrote back and said my bike is a 1997 model year. Kind of neat to get that reply.

Mine is currently set up with Shimano 600 8-speed and a blends of hubs/rims set up by a owner of a small one-man bike shop which is no longer in business. I raced it one time in one criterium with no pre-season training and probably less than 50 miles on my legs for the six months before the race. I stayed with the pack during the practice laps, and the first few race laps, then got blown out the back so fast I thought they were going to lap me twice before the next corner so I bailed and enjoyed the rest of the race as a sweaty spectator while waiting for my heart rate to return to earthly levels. The bike did great and cornered faster that I have ever cornered before while I lasted. I did not die and did not crash.

My only two concerns with the bike are as follows:
1. It says “soft paint” on it, which simply means uncoated, but for some reason people want to dig their thumbnails into it. So far I haven’t had to break anyone’s thumbs.
2. I have concerns about hanging the bike on a car rack because it might damage the oaint, so I either transport it inside the car with the wheels removed, or I just ride it where I want to go.

The ride is difficult to quantify, not comfortable in a relaxed sort of way but yet is comfortable to ride (the Trek 520 is more relaxed but doesn’t corner near as well), the bike likes to corner but does not have a mind of its own and will generally go where you point it, not overly stiff and not flexy either - kind of just right. It could be a thief magnet but I would hate to hang a lock on it, so I ride it accordingly.

Possibly no help at all in my answer, but perhaps the answer you seek is buried in there somewhere.

Enjoy your new bike.

Last edited by treebound; 05-29-18 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Found and added image
Old 05-29-18, 03:38 PM
Oldguyonoldbike

Bikes: Casati Laser, Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 78 Posts
IIRC the Master Olympic and Master Light are the same frame. I believe the International Olympic Committee objected to Colnago's use "Olympic", so the name was changed.
Old 05-30-18, 03:17 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,237 Times in 653 Posts
The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers

Originally Posted by bikingshearer
For the same reason the TV commercial told Fat Freddy to drink Tree Frog Beer: "You'll feel great and have lots of girlfriends."
(Any other Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers fans out there?)
@jetboy for your reading pleasure too.

Volume # 1, February, 1971

So as to keep this relevant to cycling:
I'll make amends in my next post.

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Last edited by verktyg; 05-30-18 at 03:20 AM.
Old 05-30-18, 03:23 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by Ex Pres
I was going to say just because, then I saw the straight fork
Why do I need six bikes?

Because having 92 Rolls Royces means you have too many enablers.
Old 05-30-18, 05:15 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

1988 Colnago Technos

My 1988 Colnago Technos. It's not a Master or Master Olympic but the predecessor to those models.

In 2006 a local frame builder friend was going through some old frames he'd stashed away. He pulled out the Technos frame and I said WTF???

I'd never seen a frame that OTT. The maroon and purple fade paint was spectacular. The bulged oversized top and down tubes reminded me of a Bates Canteflex but with grooves formed in the tubes. It was just my size 55cm x 55cm so I took it off of his hands.

Mine is one of the early Technos frames made of ultra thin wall Columbus Technos Nivachrome main tubes. This was before Columbus started using the Gilco name for these shaped tubes. The later versions used slightly heavier walled main tubes.

The frame was so weird looking that I had to build it into a frankebike. I had most of an NOS 1987 Shimano Deore XT MTB gruppo so I used the 48-38-28t triple cranks, derailleurs and hubs which I had built up with Mavic Open Pro rims plus Continental Grand Prix 700x23c tires. I installed a Campy Chorus headset and 27.4mm Campy SR seatpost. When I originally assembled it I used Shimano Ultegra side pull brakes.

I got a set of prototype Bontrager Speed Limit brakes to evaluate. The perfect addition to my frankenbike. These prototypes had a potential problem with the QRs opening but I've never used brakes that stop as well while still keeping control. Locking them up approaches the point of retinal detachment!

Years back my friend had taken the Technos in as a partial trade on a custom frame. The original owner said Technos handled squirrely. My friend realigned the forks but that didn't help.

When I got it home I threw a set of accurately trued wheels in it and checked the alignment. Right away I saw that the rear triangle was off 11mm to the right side.

I took it back to my friend's shop and we put it on his layout table. Not only was the rear triangle out but the seat and head tubes were out of alignment 1/4" in opposite directions (1/2"). So much for famous Italian quality!

Now for the ride and handling details. After I built it up I found that it was an interesting riding frame. I'd had a 1978 Colnago Super and I have a 1983 Colnago Super. They both had/have classic Colnago ride and handling.

The Technos is very different. It has a smooth ride with brisk responsive handling and no hint of twitchiness that you might expect in a short wheelbase frame. It corners on fast descents like it's on rails. The rear triangle is latterly stiff and it climbs like a mountain goat. There is no sign of any flex (good or bad) in the forks. They don't absorb much shock but the front end of the main triangle does.

One word of caution the bike has spilled me twice hitting large bumps at very low speed like pulling into a driveway. Those are the kind of bumps that a normal curved fork would go up over in stride. The straight forks turned to the side.

Comparing the ride to several of my other bikes with light weight tubing and racing geometry: 1985 Raleigh Team Pro 753, 1988 Peugeot Chorus 753, 1992 Paramount OS, 1990s Gitane Team Bike Columbus ELOS and a few others, those bikes have smooth shock absorbing rides and handle somewhat the same, like classic racing frames. The Technos has a pleasant springy ride that some may not like but it gives a nice sporty feel. It's more for criteriums than long road rides.

One last thing, I really like the color combos on a lot Colnago Master and similar models but "the man in the boat" on the top tube is a bit too much for my tastes!

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Last edited by verktyg; 05-30-18 at 05:35 AM.
Old 05-30-18, 12:00 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 2,501 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by verktyg
@jetboy for your reading pleasure too.

<snip>

So as to keep this relevant to cycling:
I'll make amends in my next post.

verktyg
Yup, them's the ones. The FFFBs were great fun; even better was Fat Freddy's Cat. The look on his face as Fat Freddy utters the fatal words: "Well, I'll be dipped in dog sh*t . . . ." Priceless.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane. (pun intended)

Now back to our regularly scheduled program. What was it? Oh, yeah, Colnagos. (Or is the plural of "Colnago" spelled "Colnagoes"?) Carry on.
Old 05-30-18, 12:17 PM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 206 Posts
The real question is " Who does not need one?"!
Old 05-30-18, 01:10 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7338 Post(s)
Liked 2,438 Times in 1,423 Posts
I'm with @rhm. I find many Italian bikes to be gaudy. So you can take away my C&V membership card now.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-30-18, 02:31 PM
Mackers

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by verktyg
My 1988 Colnago Technos. It's not a Master or Master Olympic but the predecessor to those models.

In 2006 a local frame builder friend was going through some old frames he'd stashed away. He pulled out the Technos frame and I said WTF???

I'd never seen a frame that OTT. The maroon and purple fade paint was spectacular. The bulged oversized top and down tubes reminded me of a Bates Canteflex but with grooves formed in the tubes. It was just my size 55cm x 55cm so I took it off of his hands.
Sorry but that's a 1997 Tecnos.
I have one of those in yellow, and I have a '98 in the same colorway as yours.
These were only made from 1995 until 2000 and they were supposedly the lightest production frame at the time.
(but my Nuovo Mexico and my Superissimo are both lighter)

Old 05-30-18, 11:54 PM
verktyg 
verktyg

Gaudi

Originally Posted by noglider
I'm with @rhm. I find many Italian bikes to be gaudy. So you can take away my C&V membership card now.
Antoni Gaudí i Cornet was a Spanish architect from wence the word gaudi came from. Think the cathedral in Barcelona, Spain.

The state of being gaudi isn't limited to the Italians. For example, my 1989 Peugeot Chorus 753. Now to my eye, this is gaudi too! I like it!

Pics are not my bike but they show the gaudi colours:

A 1979 Peugeot SLX that I briefly had. Same bike but Columbus SLX frame rather than Reynolds 753.

From the late 80's until the end of their run, Peugeot offered a lot of different models with 2 tone fade paint jobs and color splash decals.

At the opposite extreme, we started selling Trek bikes and frames soon after they hit the market in the mid 70's. They had austere (stodgy) colors which appealed to a lot of our customer base who were engineers, scientists and so on and were commuters/tourists as opposed to hot zoots racers. We carried a nice selection of hot Italian frames for the fast set.

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Old 05-31-18, 12:20 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Techno Date

Originally Posted by Mackers
Sorry but that's a 1997 Tecnos.
I have one of those in yellow, and I have a '98 in the same colorway as yours.
These were only made from 1995 until 2000 and they were supposedly the lightest production frame at the time.
(but my Nuovo Mexico and my Superissimo are both lighter)

Interesting info. Not disagreeing with you as I've just found a number of websites with newer info on the Technos frames.

I did several years of research on the frame 10-12 years ago and came up with the 1988 date from a number of sources. Frame builder Ed Litton who I bought it from recollected that he worked on it and then took it on a trade in the early 90's.

I built frames back in the 70's and both Ed and I think that the top and down tubes have a 0.3mm wall thickness midsection. You can squeeze them a little bit. I did find BITD that Columbus increased the wall thickness in the thin sections of the frame tubes for the Technos tubing (just like they did with the seat stays and chain stays on Columbus SL tubing). That's why I think that I have an early version Technos.

Date doesn't affect my opinion of the frame.

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Old 05-31-18, 12:22 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,023 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I can certainly understand that, but I love those bonkers paint jobs. The only tricky thing is finding a groupset and wheelset that pairs well with a nutty paint scheme. My Masi Nuova Strada does not like black pieces, but I have solved that riddle. The Guerciotti from '83 or so? Easy: high polish. Thankfully there are many Italian bikes with mature paint work, so we rejoice!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.