Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Just a reminder...

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Just a reminder...

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-15, 03:24 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Roody
I get that you disagree with me. But you fail to tell me how I have failed, so I can't respond and you have stopped the conversation. You also made me feel a little bad, which probably was your intention.
I took it as a statement that the goal of not being anti car has not been met. Personally I could be seen as anti-car. Cars take a huge footprint that is pervasive all over the city. I think we need more accommodation of the car free. Basically continue the recent trends.

That doesn't mean I favor abolishing cars. Who does? But wanting to limit them more is enough to strike a nerve with some.
Old 11-19-15, 03:45 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
I get that you disagree with me. But you fail to tell me how I have failed, so I can't respond and you have stopped the conversation. You also made me feel a little bad, which probably was your intention.
Sorry if you feel bad, it was not my intention.

On the face of it, and this thread by a moderator emphasizes the fact, "the goal was to make a forum that was about being carfree that wouldn't be "anti-car."" is simply a failure.

Nice try, but the cadre of dedicated anti-car theorists will continue with their version of an LCF party line and the pragmatic car lite will continue to call it what it is: Politics.

PS: I don't spend all of my time huddled over the BF forums, in fact I went for (wait for it) a nice bike ride to the barber. Don't feel abandoned, it's time to prepare supper.

-Bandera

Last edited by Bandera; 11-19-15 at 03:48 PM.
Old 11-19-15, 03:58 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera

On the face of it, and this thread by a moderator emphasizes the fact, "the goal was to make a forum that was about being carfree that wouldn't be "anti-car."" is simply a failure.

Nice try, but the cadre of dedicated anti-car theorists will continue with their version of an LCF party line and the pragmatic car lite will continue to call it what it is: Politics.

-Bandera
Ultimately everything is "political" - it's a concept that is so broad it is almost meaningless. I tend to think we are supposed to avoid talking about Obama or Trudeau, but it seems to me trying to block people talking about their reasons for living car-free or how social policies and societal norms impact on living car-free, is applying an unecessarily strict and even censorial definition of what is politics.

The other thing I find ironic, is my impression that the complaints and the mods' interventions seem to arrive after the thread has gone on for considerable time, and there has been a lot of back and forth arguing. It's as if the complainants are perfectly happy to engage in off-topic "political" debate for a while but eventually get frustrated that people aren't seeing things their way, and only then decide to shut the thread down. So they help make the thread "political" and then complain that it is too political.

However, since the complaints are anonymous, I can't know this for sure.

Last edited by cooker; 11-20-15 at 08:56 AM.
Old 11-19-15, 04:08 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera

PS: I don't spend all of my time huddled over the BF forums, in fact I went for (wait for it) a nice bike ride to the barber. Don't feel abandoned, it's time to prepare supper.

-Bandera
QFT - Seems some wouldn't know a politically contentious topic if it reared up and bit them on the rear.
Old 11-19-15, 04:31 PM
chasm54
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jfowler85
This is what we refer to as figurative speech, sometimes also called a locution in colloquy.
No, it really wasn't. It was just sloppy.
Old 11-19-15, 04:49 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
Lately in this sub forum "Living Car Free", we've had an increasing amount of complaints about the topics moving more toward politics. Bantering back and forth has occurred, insults thrown, name calling...all things that seem to stray away from the original purpose of this part of the forum. We do have a section for that and it's here..

The spirit of this thread is to share with each other the positives as well as the negatives of living car free and utilizing cycling at its best. In order to keep that, the moderation team will be moving threads that touch on politics to the appropriate forum.
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
This subforum is about living car free and the lifestyle. That can include other forms of transportation.

Politics belong in P and R. Nowhere does it say that LCF political topics are not allowed in there. They are. The topics get heated, nasty and there is a reason for P and R being unsearchable and hidden. I'd like to keep all political agendas in P and R please.

It's not that the topics are not allowed, they are just going to be moved.
+1

Personally, I'd like to see this forum become much more welcoming. When things calm down here for a day or two, and posts aren't instantly criticised or degraded ... we actually get a few more posters. Some from other subforums here and some new ones. But then the politics and negativity comes back ... and certain posters feel it is their duty to criticise and degrade even the most benign lifestyle-type posts. And of course, those new posters who have ventured into this forum quickly make their escape. It is a well-known fact that you need a very thick skin to post in this subforum ... it is just that unwelcoming.

But a few of us still have hope and keep coming in with more of this:

"Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here."

That looks familiar from somewhere. Oh wait ... it is supposed to be the subject matter of this forum!!

Discussing the alternative transportation options we use for our everyday activities.
Discussing aspects of our lifestyle.
Welcoming those who do not use cars ... those who use cars some of the time, but not all the time ... and those who aspire to use their cars less.
Old 11-19-15, 11:23 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Ekdog
I get a kick out of the hate mail I get from the anti-carfree crowd,
Now I'm feeling left out. No one ever sends me hate mail in spite of my complete lack of tact. Maybe if I try being nice I'll get some.
Old 11-20-15, 12:33 AM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
Now I'm feeling left out. No one ever sends me hate mail in spite of my complete lack of tact. Maybe if I try being nice I'll get some.
OK,

PM sent.......
Old 11-20-15, 07:56 AM
jfowler85

Bikes: '93 911 Turbo 3.6

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chasm54
No, it really wasn't. It was just sloppy.
Ah yes, the baseless insult. Tool of those who have nothing more intelligent to say.

I'm curious if you understand what figurative speech is...

Last edited by jfowler85; 11-20-15 at 08:04 AM.
Old 11-20-15, 09:01 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by jfowler85
Ah yes, the baseless insult. Tool of those who have nothing more intelligent to say.

I'm curious if you understand what figurative speech is...
...and this is what we call the implied insult. Not quite calling someone an idiot, but implying heavily that they are.
Old 11-20-15, 09:10 AM
jfowler85

Bikes: '93 911 Turbo 3.6

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RPK79
...and this is what we call the implied insult. Not quite calling someone an idiot, but implying heavily that they are.
That was an open thought, given the previous comment. You have derived the "heavy implication"; the person to which I replied is free to demonstrate understanding.
Old 11-20-15, 09:15 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
Neither have I.

I suspect that the claims of frequent hate mail by PM are highly exaggerated or the product of overactive imaginations/sensibilities. If received, the recipient is free to and most likely would have reported it to the mods, and if the claims of "hate mail" were validated, I'm sure the mods would have taken appropriate action.
Old 11-20-15, 03:46 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
It is a well-known fact that you need a very thick skin to post in this subforum
I think that's a good thing
Old 11-20-15, 05:27 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
While there have been several accusations about who complained to the moderators I have to wonder how many have ever moderated a chat site or forum? We have been warned that the moderators are watching this sub forum and will move a thread for reasons that they see fit. I have been in their position years ago and there are times a sub forum has to be policed much like a section of highway is policed when accidents or speeding becomes rampant.

There may may be some that simply want to test the resolve of the moderators or at least the limits they will allow. We have learned from these actions that there are somethings that will get a thread moved or closed and so we should avoid then. Name calling, helmets and overt political content seems to three such examples.

That being said it would seem either the moderators themselves moved or closed the thread for the normal reasons or the threads moved should be an indication of the topics that are most likely to get moved.

Could pe that be why the warning was issued?
Old 11-20-15, 06:43 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Could what be the reason?? I take the reason at face value. Why don't you?
Old 11-20-15, 07:34 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Walter S
Could what be the reason?? I take the reason at face value. Why don't you?
The reason threads are moved. It or they may not have to be reported. When a thread starts out with, "I hope this isn't too political", it more than likely is or will be. Look what threads get moved most often before we accuse one side or the other of dropping a dime.
Old 11-20-15, 07:51 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Certainly with one closed thread, the moderator cited "a record number of compla.
Old 11-20-15, 07:55 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,406 Times in 900 Posts
I could have made my announcement and closed the thread but I left this thread for you all to comment not only to see what you all feel, but to give a chance to discuss it.

Most of you see the point being made and I thank you for understanding. Those of you who don't, can participate in the moved threads no problem. If you don't have access to P and R, just ask.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.