Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Yamaha Power Assist Electric Bicycles Are Coming to the U.S.

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Yamaha Power Assist Electric Bicycles Are Coming to the U.S.

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-18, 06:57 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by BBassett
For some reason, you say E-Assist bicycle like that is different than other ebikes. There are hub motors and mid-drive motor and a few other exotics and/or lame designs. But you are using electricity to "assist" making it easy and more fun. That is what they are doing in Europe too, it's not magical. I can't get on and ride my bike without peddling. That is what initiates the motor. I peddle and the motor turns-on. If I peddle harder or faster it doesn't apply more power from the motor. Any extra effort goes into the chain and to my Rohloff and I go faster. Gearing works exactly the same as comparable bikes. So if I am riding at full weight (500+ lbs, with rider and gear)and approach a steep hill, I either have to step-up the peddle power or raise the motor power for the incline (gravity wants her pound of flesh). Everyone talks about it being hard to climb hills. But it really isn't. It just takes a lot longer. Your cadence should be the same climbing as when cruising on level ground. We change the gears to achieve that cadence. The better you get the more steady the cadence regardless of the road angle. Same with a motor... dial in the gear and then the power necessary to maintain your cadence peddling and walk up the hill, just with a slower forward momentum. I can't do what I do with a 500w motor, let alone less. Armstrong on the "good stuff" couldn't do what I am doing with a 750w center drive. I DO go over 28 mph sometimes though, so do you. It's called descending, hair flying in the breeze, sometimes even with my legs spread wide and yelling "Waa Hoo". I think if you are hellbent on raining on someone's parade you should start comparing hub motors (of any size) to your oh-so-loved Moped. Regulate those bad boys anyway you want. They are the one with 5, 6 or 7000w runners with a thumb throttle. Go get those guys, I just want to ride anywhere a bike can go and do it safely. Moped are meant for the roads and bike aren't necessarily. And of course you have had a bear chase you, you're Canadian ain't ya?
Ah, now there's the basic misunderstanding of how EU systems are legislated, not just by power available... It's also how it's applied... Just because you turn the crank, it wouldn't make an EU E-Assist bicycle move. You ACTUALLY need/must put pressure onto the pedals to make the bicycle move. My BionX is 100% EU compliant. what that means is, if I don't pedal and by that I mean actually pedal, not just rotate the crank, meaning I have to be putting pressure onto the pedals or I go nowhere... For instance on level 1 If I put 10Lbs of pressure onto the pedals I would get 35% of assistance. Meaning 3.5Lbs of pressure added onto my pedaling effort... If I only put 1Lbs of pressure onto the pedals I would only get .35Lbs of assistance... Thus making my E-assisted bicycle still a bicycle. IMO Yes it is still motorised but I still have to supply most of the effort to make it move.

A bear chasing one is not funny...
Old 01-01-18, 07:30 PM
BBassett

Bikes: Tout Terrain, Panamericana

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 350htrr
Ah, [B]now there's the basic misunderstanding... A bear chasing one is not funny...
It's not a misunderstanding, it's a poor design that allows no other options to the rider. You are describing computer software that employees a torque sensor to operate the motor. Like using an automatic transmission rather than a manual. I like having full control of what happens in the motor and how the watts are dolled out. I understand that antique BionX of yours is "EU compliant", translation - underpowered. I can use a torque sensor, or throttle or pedal assist if I chose. Can you pick out the operative word in that sentence? I don't want to be limited by someone else's antiquated ideas of what an ebike is or isn't and how they Can be used. I just want to be able to ride my bike as they have since the beginning. Come on Karl... stop trying to make things slower and more expensive. If you are out riding someday and a kid zips past you giggling, feel free to jump off and shake a fist at the little bugger. How dare he?!? A bike is a bike, a Moped is a Moped and OUR federal government has clearly defined my ebike.

Definition: Consumer Product Safety Act defines a "low-speed electric bicycle" as a two or three-wheeled vehicle with fully operable pedals, a top speed when powered solely by the motor under 20 mph (32 km/h) and an electric motor that produces less than 750 W (1.01 hp). I can ride anywhere it is legal to ride a bike.

....and I bet it is funny to the Bear.
Old 01-01-18, 07:41 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

It's not a misunderstanding, it's a poor design that allows no other options to the rider. You are describing computer software that employees a torque sensor to operate the motor. Like using an automatic transmission rather than a manual. I like having full control of what happens in the motor and how the watts are dolled out. I understand that antique BionX of yours is "EU compliant", translation - underpowered. I can use a torque sensor, or throttle or pedal assist if I chose. Can you pick out the operative word in that sentence? I don't want to be limited by someone else's antiquated ideas of what an ebike is or isn't and how they Can be used. I just want to be able to ride my bike as they have since the beginning. Come on Karl... stop trying to make things slower and more expensive. If you are out riding someday and a kid zips past you giggling, feel free to jump off and shake a fist at the little bugger. How dare he?!? A bike is a bike, a Moped is a Moped and OUR federal government has clearly defined my ebike.

Definition: Consumer Product Safety Act defines a "low-speed electric bicycle" as a two or three-wheeled vehicle with fully operable pedals, a top speed when powered solely by the motor under 20 mph (32 km/h) and an electric motor that produces less than 750 W (1.01 hp). I can ride anywhere it is legal to ride a bike.

and... There we have it... Once the E-Bikes proliferate to the point of where people in general notice them, and realize what is happening... Boom, The Laws will get changed, and, ALL E-Bikes, assisted or not, 250 to 750 get to be mopeds... That is my concern, obviously not yours...

Last edited by 350htrr; 01-01-18 at 07:47 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-01-18, 08:25 PM
BBassett

and... There we have it... Once the E-Bikes proliferate to the point of where people in general notice them, and realize what is happening... Boom, The Laws will get changed, and, ALL E-Bikes, assisted or not, 250 to 750 get to be mopeds... That is my concern, obviously not yours...
Why can't you understand that the definitions have been clearly set?

Bike.
Low-Speed Electric Vehicle. (Type 1) What I ride.
E-bike (type 2, and 3 under California's system).
Moped.
Motorcycle.
Jetson's Jetcycle (I am sure Elon is working on this one too).

"People" aren't surprised by ebikes anymore (or low-speed electric vehicles) and realize "what is happening"... What, Is, Happening? Is there something happening that I don't know about? Cause I am out "there" riding almost daily and I don't See anything happening. But that might be the Thing, that is happening. IDK. You are implying More legislation and regulation is necessary and Looming in the near Future! Why? All we have to do now is follow the system as designed.
Boom!
Attached Images
File Type: png
OmlrsxJMQBuVQLhk6gUoLg.png (453.7 KB, 125 views)

Last edited by BBassett; 01-01-18 at 08:31 PM. Reason: To be a smartass
Old 01-02-18, 01:17 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts

AFAIC, you can ride anything you want. But NOT in the bike lane or on the MUP. Those facilities are for human powered vehicles, or vehicles that don't go any faster than a standard bicycle.

And if you're as rude while riding your e-bike as you are when posting on the forum--then you are one of those who gives them a bad reputation.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 01-02-18, 07:21 PM
350htrr

Originally Posted by Roody
AFAIC, you can ride anything you want. But NOT in the bike lane or on the MUP. Those facilities are for human powered vehicles, or vehicles that don't go any faster than a standard bicycle.

And if you're as rude while riding your e-bike as you are when posting on the forum--then you are one of those who gives them a bad reputation.
and... There's the rub... Legally, an E-Bike with a 750 watt motor, a one HP motor, can, ride anywhere a normal bicycle can ride. ONCE that FACT hits the average bicycle rider, there will be a pushback, once that fact reaches the average person using those MUPs... NOW we, the E-Bike community have a problem, we WILL, become moped riders... Legally speaking...
Old 01-02-18, 07:24 PM
andr0id

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Sangetsu
I hope the export versions are larger.
We'll get Concert Grand size in the US, while Japan gets Baby Grand size.
Old 01-06-18, 04:22 PM
Dahon.Steve

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
For instance on level 1 If I put 10Lbs of pressure onto the pedals I would get 35% of assistance. Meaning 3.5Lbs of pressure added onto my pedaling effort... If I only put 1Lbs of pressure onto the pedals I would only get .35Lbs of assistance...
This would actually bother me about e-bikes.

I get the feeling most people using e-bikes want to ride a bike that will propel them 20 mph but only have to keep the bike in 2nd or 3rd gear in a 16 speed drive train. That would drive me nuts only having to use minimal power while the e-bike launches at top speed. Am I missing something but it looks like you only have to use the low gears to go fast?

By the way, those 3k e-bikes from Giant at my local lbs SOLD! I could not believe they were purchased so fast but people have money. WOW! They sure were pretty!
Old 01-06-18, 06:23 PM
350htrr

Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve
This would actually bother me about e-bikes.

I get the feeling most people using e-bikes want to ride a bike that will propel them 20 mph but only have to keep the bike in 2nd or 3rd gear in a 16 speed drive train. That would drive me nuts only having to use minimal power while the e-bike launches at top speed. Am I missing something but it looks like you only have to use the low gears to go fast?

By the way, those 3k e-bikes from Giant at my local lbs SOLD! I could not believe they were purchased so fast but people have money. WOW! They sure were pretty!
Yes,... I believe you got's it totally backwards/mixed up.. Unless, you have the crank rotation sensor then, you could/would be correct, I am talking about a "pressure sensor"...
Like you surmised, that IS exactly how it would work with a throttle or a rotation sensor, but NOT with a pressure sensor set up. and unfortunately, you are right about most people, they do want to ride at 20+ MPH and only pedal lets say 5 or 10MPH worth of effort...

EDIT; Bottom line, with a pressure sensor type of E-Bike, otherwise known as an E-Assist, you need to put in the effortt to get anywhere... You only get a % of added assistance onto your pedaling effort... No pretend pedaling allowed.

EDIT 2: Pretend pedalling (using minimal power) can happen with a throttle, THAT is a given, or pretend pedaling can happen with a crank rotation sensor, but NOT, with a pressure sensor, thus the EU E-bike laws do not allow throttles, it does not allow crank rotation sensors, IT/they wants to KEEP E-Bikes as E-Assists bicycles, over there, a true version of a regular bicycle that you need to pedal to get anywhere... But with a little bit of assistance, to get over the humps or hills, and get more people riding "bicycles", instead of driving cars...

Last edited by 350htrr; 01-06-18 at 07:41 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-07-18, 08:28 PM
350htrr

Originally Posted by BooksandBikes
Nice set up. What type of bike. Is that a middrive. Did you purchase motor and battery from Luna?
Luna offers this 3 pound battery I am considering. I really like the ebike system used by Kinetics however I live I the states and my understanding is it takes 6 months.

I agree with . The speed limit in my state was 65. It was moved to 70. Soon it may be 80. In general, the human spirit loves speed. Hence why dial up internet connections.....how many people on this forum use dial up? How many have smartphones? Exactly.

Governmental regulations are for safety purposes or so they claim but the reality: drivers, cyclists are going to do what they want.

In South Florida gas powered bicycles are very popular. I met a guy with a heavily just over the top Electra Gas powered Townie. He said he travels wherever he wants and the bike saved him $10000 in one year. His high speed was like 55mph.
and I thought here we were talking about LEGAL E-Bikes... Not mopeds or motorbikes...
Old 01-07-18, 09:57 PM
BBassett

Nice set up BBasset. What type of bike? Is that a midhdrive? Did you purchase motor and battery from Luna? Luna offers this 3 pound battery...

I agree with you BBassett... The battery size on ebikes are going to get smaller. Weight and stealth demands.

Governmental regulations are for safety purposes or so they claim... People are well aware of the laws and do what they want. Choices equal consequences.

I have to admit that you have me terribly conflicted right now. I read thru your reply twice, then went back and read what I had said throughout the thread, and for the life of me I can't figure out what you agree with. It happens so rarely here in BF that anyone agrees with anything I say that I am usually thrilled.... but like I said, you have me conflicted. First, let me answer your questions. Tout Terrain, Panamericana, BaFang 750W mid-drive. A couple EM3ev 30ah batteries. I specifically got the BaFang 750W over other aftermarket BaFang mods (like Luna's), that maximize the power output so that it would conform to the Federal definition of a Low-Speed Electric Bike (LSEB). An LSEB can go anywhere a bike can ride no restrictions or limitations. Unless there is a sign that say's No Bikes, I can ride it.

I have no experience with gas-powered vehicles except legal motorcycles. I Do agree that batteries for ebikes will get smaller and more hopefully lighter but we aren't there yet. It seems to me that we have been fairly stagnant on size and weight reductions but have been increasing capacity in small bumps. I don' think I have seen a 3lbs. pack that I would bother with personally. I actually Do believe and advocate for people to follow all road use laws. The more predictable we all are (Riders/Drivers) the fewer accidents there will be. Yes, some people disregard laws and hopefully, they pay enough in tickets to teach them before someone is killed.

Storage is always a concern where ever you are. The worst is when you are sleeping and hear something (that you can't see) near your bike. I actually like to have the bike under the same tarp I am. There is no electric bikes that can do 55 mph and be legal in any way for the roads. Not my thing, I kinda swing the other way. A bike that can go anywhere and still has an electric motor legally. Legally BandB. We need more infrastructure for bikes in Americas. That infrastructure is designed for 20 to 30 mph Max. A standard bike can be pedaled at 30 mph but not safely on busy bike paths. I average 10 to 15 mph and seldom ride for long at high speeds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
dsc00917-(3).jpg (759.0 KB, 97 views)
Old 01-07-18, 10:03 PM
BBassett

That is the point. The legal e-bikes are expensive and slow and to the discerning buyer not worth the value ( parts, service, warranty, price, support). Have you ridden a legal Prodeco throttle only? I think this is the best pricing for non tinkerers. Hate to inform you but the average person doesn't have 5k to spend on a legal Strommer.

So the speed limitations are subjective. The police in South Florida have bigger fish to fry apparently because I see guys on gas powers speeding through lights all the time.

Buy a legal Electra Townies Go! $2400 for a 250w Bosch...the bike is truly overpriced. I purchased the SRAM version of the GO! for $1300 from a LBS had it for a year and couldn't sell it. Fun but slow.I quickly wanted to go faster.

I have a Brompton. The cost to electrify is just ridiculous.

If I were a tinkerer I would do what Basset and others have: build my own.

I won't apologize if that offends you.
I think your Brompton can wear a BaFang. $450 for the motor, a good battery (may have to wear it on your back with that small of a bike), and what it costs to find someone to install it. I used California EBikes, Doug Snyder, to mount mine because I wanted mine done right the 1st time.
Old 01-07-18, 11:25 PM
BBassett

I am in agreement with your choices specific to the 750w and riding a bike to your specifications.
I am not in agreement with nitpicky rules about ebikes. I just think there is only so much the government needs to regulate and frankly, resources need to be spent elsewhere. Accidents happen. My friend and I were walking on a shared bike/pedestrian path. Roadies share the path often going at high speeds. My friend was ahead of me turned around as a roadie flew past me and hit my friend or my friend walked in her path. It happened in less than a second. Very fast rider. It was a bad hit. An ebike at any speed would be worse. The roadie could have alerted us. She chose not to.
The government cannot prevent every situation. Accidents will happen. Will restricting cars to 35 mph prevent accidents?

On my bike I want to arrive to my destination as quickly as possible. When I see people I slow down. I ring my bell. I yell clearly " I'm on a bicycle. I need to pass you!" Others don't. And there are consequences.

Florida has a high rate of pedestrian and bicycle fatalities. Speed of the ebike, wattage of the ebike isn't the issue: awareness of surroundings, lack of precaution and texting while driving or biking with earphones.
Oh, ok, yeah! Using the BaFang750W motor is a no-brainer to me. Well, I say no-brainer now but when I 1st started my selection I turned away from the BaFang because it was the least expensive choice. I'm not a snob, and defiantly not rich, but I have learned throughout my life that the least expensive option is not usually the best option. But picking the largest possible motor that still keeps the bike classed as a LSEV is what is important. After looking at every option I could find the BaFang 750W was what I went with and I am happy. There are things that I would change and or modify some, and I think they will address them in the future like a torque sensor. But I love to have full control on how I use the power, how much power is used, and how I chose to activate the power.

I have a FuGoo XL loud-ass blue-tooth speaker on my bike that works really well to alert people that you are approaching. Because the volume increases as I approach it usually doesn't startle anyone when I ride by. The majority of the time people are turning looking and stepping back to let me ride by. Bikers mostly don't like someone on their ass so will either step it up or let me ride by. It is hard for me not to also step it up and pace them up to 20+ mph with full panniers and trailer. I love the speed and I love the looks I get from carbon fiber and lycra riders. But when I am loaded I ride slow and safe because of the mass. It all about distance.

Why aren't you all over the 1000W BaFang? If you think 50mph isn't too fast for a bike and aren't worried about the police or hospital bills that your ticket I think.
Attached Images
dsc00979 (3).jpg (917.7 KB, 94 views)
dsc01355 (3).jpg (1.23 MB, 98 views)

Last edited by BBassett; 01-07-18 at 11:29 PM.
Old 01-20-18, 12:32 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26419 Post(s)
Liked 10,380 Times in 7,208 Posts
So it begins:

Man Dies After Danville Crash Involving Electric Bicycle
Officials said the man, 73, was injured after he hit a speed bump.

Danville resident Keith Howard, was riding his bike on Highland Drive near Lonesome Road at about 2:55 p.m. Monday when he hit a speed bump, town spokesman Geoff Gillette said.

Howard went airborne, then landed and crashed. He was taken to John Muir Medical Center in Walnut Creek, where he was pronounced dead later that afternoon, Gillette said. No one else was involved in the crash, he said.
Old 01-20-18, 01:20 PM
PdalPowr

Bikes: Norco hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Too bad,I hope it was quick at least.
Old 01-20-18, 02:47 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
MOD NOTE: The topic is Bikes, Not each other.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 01-21-18, 12:28 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

According to the New York Times, 35 million e-bikes will be sold this year. Claudia Wasko of Bosch says e-bikes have taken off in Europe because “they are viewed not just as recreational vehicles but as a practical transportation option.”

https://www.treehugger.com/bikes/why...-eat-cars.html
Old 01-21-18, 12:35 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Gazelle: “We will soon be producing more e-Bikes than regular bicycles”

In 2017 87,000 electric bikes were sold by Gazelle, while this year’s target aims to be north of 100,000. 77% of those e-Bikes carried Bosch motors, placing many at the premium end of the market.

“We will soon be producing even more e-bikes than regular bicycles. The electrification makes the bicycle a serious alternative to many trips. The average commuting distance, for example, is 15 kilometers. With the electric bike and speed pedelec, these and even longer distances can easily be bridged. Especially now that there is more choice in financing – you can buy, lease and pay off – electric bikes become interesting for an even broader audience.”
Electric bicycles emerge as a hot trend in the U.S.

Established bike companies and startups are embracing ebikes to meet demand. About 34 million ebikes were sold worldwide in 2017, according to data from eCycleElectric Consultants. Most were sold in Europe and China, where the bikes already have exploded in popularity. In 2017, the U.S. market grew to 263,000 bikes, a 25% gain from the prior year...

"There's tremendous opportunity to get a generation of people for whom suffering isn't their thing," Cocalis said. "Ebike riders get the enjoyable part of cycling without the massive suffering of climbing huge hills."
Old 01-21-18, 10:01 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,698 Times in 2,518 Posts
I have a batavus city bike that is now only available as an ebike, which made me sad. OTOH, it weighs so much that pedal assist would be nice. An ebike would make a lot of trips by bike more practical for me, and I probably could go to very few car trips per year if I had one. I spend so much on parking that it's really silly that I don't have one, so I'm working on it. i have commuted by bike a lot, but if I'm running late or it's hot I just drive my car. An ebike would get me to work in about the same overall time because the time walking from the parking lot will be eliminated. Unfortunately, in this area most of the people that would really benefit from an ebike have been priced out of the local housing market and live too far from their jobs to really consider an ebike.

I did want to get the Shimano steps system, but it seems like I'm going to go with a Bafang instead. Just getting the pricing needed for the parts needed a complete STEPS system was a pain, whereas you can just get a kit with the bafang. The downside to the mid-drive gear motor units is that none of the manufacturers seem interested in a standardized interface. Shimano has at least 2, Bafang has 2, and I'm sure the other manufacturers have their own.

Last edited by unterhausen; 01-21-18 at 10:09 AM.
Old 01-28-18, 08:26 PM
Dahon.Steve

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
[QUOTE=3alarmer;20121914]Gazelle: “We will soon be producing more e-Bikes than regular bicycles”

This is interesting.

E-bike sales are exploding all over Europe. It goes to show you that people are tired of pedaling bicycles and want the motor to do all or most of the work. It's something we've known all along that people want motorized transport than having to use effort.

With e-bike speeds increasing, we are going to see more accidents and some quite serious. They better seriously consider their out dated helmet laws or should I say lack of any!
Old 02-04-18, 09:18 PM
BBassett

Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve
.... With e-bike speeds increasing, we are going to see more accidents and some quite serious. They better seriously consider their out dated helmet laws or should I say lack of any!
LOL! You obviously haven't ridden an ebike.
Old 02-07-18, 02:08 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
LOL! You obviously haven't ridden an ebike.
What makes it so obvious to you?
Old 02-07-18, 03:18 PM
BBassett

Originally Posted by Walter S
What makes it so obvious to you?
Anyone that thinks an ebike doesn't need the rider to exert effort obviously hasn't ridden one.
Old 02-07-18, 03:26 PM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
@BBassett, do you talk about your set-up in detail anywhere? I'm curious, but I don't want to derail this thread which seems to have weirdly remained on topic.

For my part, I'm happy with any e-bike regulation that caps speed and size at something close to a bicycle, and classes them both together. I understand that people wouldn't like it when an e-bike speeds by them on the MUP, and I agree that it would be annoying, but the same same can happen with a roadie. In my area, MUPs have a speed limit of 10 miles per hour. People frequently go over that by a little, and occasionally you'll see someone sprinting on their road bike at double the speed limit, but not often. E-bikes really haven't made an impact here that I can see. I wouldn't want to see them barreling down the MUPs at 20mph, but I don't want to see anything/anyone barreling down the MUPs at 20mph. And saying, "No e-bikes" only addresses one group of potential speeders. A better solution would be actual enforcement of the speed limit for everyone.

But, man, bring up e-bikes in the Mountain Biking pages and watch the mess that you stir up. For off-road trail, I think it makes sense to talk about how much damage they could do to the trail and/or other trail users compared to a regular bike. Other than that, I don't see why it matters if your bike has a motor or not. But that does not seem to be the prevailing thoughts in mountain bike world.

Every now and then I think about an e-bike. In particular, I've been considering an e-cargo-bike. Getting around on my regular bike is fine, but loading it up can change that fast. And covering the 10-mile circle that includes my home, work, and downtown is fine on my regular bike, but visiting the nearby towns becomes a major time and energy commitment. Those are the times when I miss my car the most. America loves its cars, and I don't think the existence of e-bikes is going to change that without some other, outside pressure, but for people wanting to break away from car-dependency, the e-bike could definitely be a useful tool.
Old 02-07-18, 04:32 PM
BBassett

Originally Posted by Rob_E
@BBassett, do you talk about your set-up in detail anywhere? I'm curious, but I don't want to derail this thread which seems to have weirdly remained on topic....
Hey Rob, yeah I have talked about my gear all over the place in BikeForums. I think you can just do a search on BBassett and find everything I have written. It's not just MTB'ers that are pissy about ebikes, it's anyone that doesn't actually own one, it seems. People equate what I do with what some nimwit with a 5000w hub motor does because they are both "ebike". Trust me when I tell you it's not the same thing. My primary concern is distance over speed. I use the lowest level of assist that my 750w mid-drive motor can put out and use it as sparingly as possible. What makes people angry is that I can climb places that a MTB rider most likely can't under human only power. I could also hang with most every lycra rider I see if I am not conserving power, a very rare thing. So I become a cheater somehow. Remember that there are 3 types of ebike classifications Type-I, II, and III... using California's definitions. They started with the base (Type I) ebike definition using the federal ebike definition:

Defined: The federal Consumer Product Safety Act defines a "low speed electric bicycle" (LSEB) as a two or three-wheeled vehicle with fully operable pedals, a top speed when powered solely by the motor under 20 mph (32 km/h) and an electric motor that produces less than 750 W (1.01 hp).

A Type-I ebike can go anywhere that a bicycle can even if a route is posted "No Motor Vehicles", no license, no insurance, no paperwork of any kind needed. Ride from coast to coast without ID if you want. That's the whole point. You could do it on a horse once upon a time and bicycles had the same benefits.

Now you watch all the non-ebike owners go wild because..... well, I'm not sure why. But they do and will. Take a look at what I have written about my bike, trailer, gear, and if you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Ride safe.
Attached Images
modified-rack2.jpg (1.63 MB, 93 views)
Summer gear.jpg (966.4 KB, 87 views)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.