Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Yamaha Power Assist Electric Bicycles Are Coming to the U.S.

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Yamaha Power Assist Electric Bicycles Are Coming to the U.S.

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-18, 02:07 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by BBassett
Now I am going to go console my baby after you called her a station wagon. The Family Truchster.... you soooo mean!
To be clear, I admire someone that builds there own solution to a perceived need. My contention is the same. For those of people that can still ride up that mountain and consider it good exercise an e-bike isn't needed. For those that don't ride at all a regular bike seems to much work. If you have ever been to a mall and watched to see how many people take the escalator versus the stairs you will get my point. Just address some of the points you made earlier.

The first three we mostly agree on till you get to point 4.
Yes, you are right. License and ID and you can ride just like a moped or motorcycle but be restricted from sidewalks and bike trails. Legally restricted.

The longest MUPs in our area would allow the bike I posted and the sidewalks are off limits in my city to my bike or any bike operated by an adult, e-bike or not. I am not clear about off road or dirt trails however.

Point 5 has a few considerations.

Depends on where you live I guess. I see people with trailers at grocery stores now and then, That's a good trend. Lots of bike delivery services have switched to ebikes. Or even better have added a 750w BaFang motor as I advocate. If you want to test yourself climbing a 5000 foot day run that's great. Just don't sneer 1/2 way up when I pass you playing In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida, and eating an apple. Of at the top when you arrive and I am mixing martinis. Also, take into account that a 750w motor will allow you to do things that you may not want to do but you could. All that and no license necessary. It very gratifying to be able to ride past "Motor Vehicles Prohibited" signs legally.
I see a lot more bikes with trailers at the store as well. Mostly without e-assist and mostly bikes in the under $500.00 range. But yes I can see delivery services using e-bikes. I cannot see them building their own.

From the perspective of people that do climb those long mountain roads the might not be surprised to see someone with a E-bike pass them. But then they wouldn't be surprised to see someone on a Harley Davidson and a half dressed passenger pass playing Stairway to Heaven. To the cyclist that pride themselves on being in condition to do such climbing, and yes there are climbs I would rather not do, an e-bike is simply assistance and as you have stated the level of assistance is up to the e-bike rider. You would be just as hard pressed to beat the 1000 watt bike as one might be to beat you without e-assist. It is all perspective and to a degree pride.

As it was hinted to some of the temptation to get an e-bike might be to get past those "motor vehicles prohibited". But from cruising the MTB forums there are quite a few that resent e-bikes on trails. The pride one gets from passing such a sign might be tempered by the single finger salute objecting cyclists would use as a wave when one rode by. By the way I have no objection to said e-bikes even on the trail.

The last point is difficult for me.

I would have bought that bike when I 1st saw it if they had built it with a mid-drive.

I spent quite a bit on building the Tarmac. It cost me more than my first new car. My Klein wasn't as bad but over the years the upgrades have pushed it up a bit. The MTB was more than a grand out the door. Telling my wife that I am about to drop 4 to 6 K on an electric bike would cause more stress than it is worth. So I have to decide if I am willing to go N-3 before I can consider N+1.

Last edited by Mobile 155; 03-14-18 at 02:11 PM.
Old 03-14-18, 05:59 PM
Mobile 155

This site might be in Germain to the subject.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/wadeshe.../#59711ffd31e2
Old 03-14-18, 07:31 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Mobile 155
To be clear, I admire someone that builds there own solution to a perceived need. My contention is the same. For those of people that can still ride up that mountain and consider it good exercise an e-bike isn't needed. For those that don't ride at all a regular bike seems to much work. If you have ever been to a mall and watched to see how many people take the escalator versus the stairs you will get my point. Just address some of the points you made earlier.

The first three we mostly agree on till you get to point 4.
Yes, you are right. License and ID and you can ride just like a moped or motorcycle but be restricted from sidewalks and bike trails. Legally restricted.

The longest MUPs in our area would allow the bike I posted and the sidewalks are off limits in my city to my bike or any bike operated by an adult, e-bike or not. I am not clear about off road or dirt trails however.

Point 5 has a few considerations.

Depends on where you live I guess. I see people with trailers at grocery stores now and then, That's a good trend. Lots of bike delivery services have switched to ebikes. Or even better have added a 750w BaFang motor as I advocate. If you want to test yourself climbing a 5000 foot day run that's great. Just don't sneer 1/2 way up when I pass you playing In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida, and eating an apple. Of at the top when you arrive and I am mixing martinis. Also, take into account that a 750w motor will allow you to do things that you may not want to do but you could. All that and no license necessary. It very gratifying to be able to ride past "Motor Vehicles Prohibited" signs legally.
I see a lot more bikes with trailers at the store as well. Mostly without e-assist and mostly bikes in the under $500.00 range. But yes I can see delivery services using e-bikes. I cannot see them building their own.

From the perspective of people that do climb those long mountain roads the might not be surprised to see someone with a E-bike pass them. But then they wouldn't be surprised to see someone on a Harley Davidson and a half dressed passenger pass playing Stairway to Heaven. To the cyclist that pride themselves on being in condition to do such climbing, and yes there are climbs I would rather not do, an e-bike is simply assistance and as you have stated the level of assistance is up to the e-bike rider. You would be just as hard pressed to beat the 1000 watt bike as one might be to beat you without e-assist. It is all perspective and to a degree pride.

As it was hinted to some of the temptation to get an e-bike might be to get past those "motor vehicles prohibited". But from cruising the MTB forums there are quite a few that resent e-bikes on trails. The pride one gets from passing such a sign might be tempered by the single finger salute objecting cyclists would use as a wave when one rode by. By the way I have no objection to said e-bikes even on the trail.

The last point is difficult for me.

I would have bought that bike when I 1st saw it if they had built it with a mid-drive.

I spent quite a bit on building the Tarmac. It cost me more than my first new car. My Klein wasn't as bad but over the years the upgrades have pushed it up a bit. The MTB was more than a grand out the door. Telling my wife that I am about to drop 4 to 6 K on an electric bike would cause more stress than it is worth. So I have to decide if I am willing to go N-3 before I can consider N+1.
Most people would not buy an E-Bike to do that, but, it ends up doing that... JMO but, most people would buy a moped, because they actually want to pedal part or most of the trip... BUT, then reality sets in, and most start to use such a device as a motorized vehicle, if they have a throttle, why,? because it's easier and faster, and less sweat, and... well it's a pretty simple/basic jump...
Old 03-14-18, 08:19 PM
Mobile 155

Originally Posted by 350htrr
Most people would not buy an E-Bike to do that, but, it ends up doing that... JMO but, most people would buy a moped, because they actually want to pedal part or most of the trip... BUT, then reality sets in, and most start to use such a device as a motorized vehicle, if they have a throttle, why,? because it's easier and faster, and less sweat, and... well it's a pretty simple/basic jump...
I agree, people by in large take the easy way to do most anything. I once bought a house on a rather large lot. I decided to plant my own yard and take care of it with hand tools. I had hand rollers, a hand push mower, a hand edger and even a hand aerator. I learned some truths. In some areas you can plant whatever you want but you will get Bermuda. After a first year Bermuda grew over my Kentucky Blue grass and the push mower was getting pretty hard to use. I got a power mower , Power edger and after the first fight with crab grass I planted St. Augustine. It will fight crab grass to a stand still and kill it, and small tree I believe. Anyway after four years I was thinking of getting a riding mower because hand lawn care was getting to hard and long.

Like the link I posted the best selling e-bikes in China don't really pretend they are pedaling.