Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Share your outdoor winter experiences

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Share your outdoor winter experiences

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-17, 07:32 PM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by wipekitty
-7F/-22C this evening. I walked about 1.5 miles to and from a store to pick up a few items, including some chemical warmers for a possible group ride tomorrow.

When I getting covered up for the walk home, a guy came up to me and said, "Hey Darth Vader, it's really cold out there. Do you want a ride?" (I politely declined.) But I guess my getup - balaclava, ski goggles, hood, and long coat - did look a bit Darth Vader-ish!
Are you the only person you see out walking in your area or do some other people brave the cold as well?
Old 12-31-17, 08:41 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by tandempower
Are you the only person you see out walking in your area or do some other people brave the cold as well?
I saw one other person yesterday evening and one other person this evening. There are definitely fewer people out walking and riding when the weather gets cold, but there's not a ton of walking even when it's nice out.
Old 01-01-18, 08:43 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
-7F/-22C this evening. I walked about 1.5 miles to and from a store with goggles
that's awesome! sounds like a great test run
Old 01-01-18, 09:44 AM
tandempower

I saw one other person yesterday evening and one other person this evening. There are definitely fewer people out walking and riding when the weather gets cold, but there's not a ton of walking even when it's nice out.
It's strange to me that people will get all suited up to go skiing, which involves sitting idle on a cold chairlift in the wind and then soaring down hill, making intense wind that way; but so few will just suit up and take a cold weather hike where they can come back to their cozy home at the end of the walk.
Old 01-02-18, 01:55 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
It's strange to me that people will get all suited up to go skiing, which involves sitting idle on a cold chairlift in the wind and then soaring down hill, making intense wind that way; but so few will just suit up and take a cold weather hike where they can come back to their cozy home at the end of the walk.
The difference is ... fun.
Old 01-03-18, 01:29 PM
tandempower

Originally Posted by Machka
You make your local area fun when you hike and bike through it. It can be hard when your mind is programmed to divide the world into fun vs. boring places. People take trips because they find it fun to walk around someplace unfamiliar, but if they moved there, they would find it fun to visit the place they lived before. The grass always seems greener far away. It's a challenge to discover how green the grass is right where you are.
Old 01-06-18, 01:37 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Walking and riding in the winter is fun, IMO.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 01-06-18, 01:44 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Years ago, I rode every day in the winter, but never saw anybody else on a bike. One day I finally came across bicycle tire prints in some fresh snow. I was so excited that I followed the prints for a couple miles, hoping to encounter whoever else was clever enough to discover the joys of winter riding. Unfortunately, I never caught up with them and never saw any other tire tracks.

But these days, I frequently see cyclists in the snow. I still love to see them, but it isn't quite the thrill it was back then.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 01-06-18, 01:45 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
You make your local area fun when you hike and bike through it. It can be hard when your mind is programmed to divide the world into fun vs. boring places. People take trips because they find it fun to walk around someplace unfamiliar, but if they moved there, they would find it fun to visit the place they lived before. The grass always seems greener far away. It's a challenge to discover how green the grass is right where you are.
Originally Posted by Roody
Don't tell me ... tell the people who enjoy downhill skiing.

Personally, I've never been downhill skiing but there are a number of people who are quite enthusiastic about it, and seem to prefer it to other activities. They seem to have fun "soaring down hill".
Old 01-06-18, 06:45 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by BooksandBikes
I was in a below knee faux fur coat riding my older single speed Raleigh Grand Prix
oh we gotta see that! sounds fun
Old 01-06-18, 08:26 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
-22C/-7F this am. A few people out with dogs. Coldest morning yet but it didn't actually feel too bad. I got out my Scandinavian type toque with the strings to tie under chin - maybe that is why! We will go for a longer walk after some more coffee.
Old 01-11-18, 12:10 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Heat Miser won.
Old 01-11-18, 08:33 AM
rumrunn6

it's New England, so went for a ride in a blizzard last week, checked the roof cam this week, maybe raking it tonight before the rain, made a fire (inside) last night

Old 01-11-18, 11:26 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

6C/43F today - wore my rain coat instead of a parka, left my gloves in my pockets. Lots of puddles and slush.

We'll be back to cold weather by Saturday.

EDIT: On the way home I realized I didn't bring a rain hat. I even had one at the office - damn.

Last edited by cooker; 01-11-18 at 05:51 PM.
Old 01-14-18, 12:51 PM
tandempower

Originally Posted by cooker
-22C/-7F this am. A few people out with dogs. Coldest morning yet but it didn't actually feel too bad. .
I had to go out before dawn recently to catch a bus and it didn't feel too bad despite being 26F. I know that's nowhere near as cold as -7F, but I was still surprised because I have felt colder at above-freezing temps. I have the idea that the air dries out a lot once 32F/0C is reached, and so the remaining air doesn't suck the heat out of you as much as if it was more humid and slightly warmer.

Hiking w/ a pack for about 3 miles really warmed me up; so much so I sat outside waiting on the bus when I got to the station instead of going inside where the air felt soupy warm, of course, due to everyone else arriving by car and tired (just out of bed, probably).

After sitting and resting a while outside, I started to get cold but I was really toasty from hiking in my layers. I had only a light nylon shell wind-breaker on, but I had a hoodie sweatshirt underneath and the two hoods added up to be quite warm along with my stocking cap. I had two t-shirts layered underneath the sweatshirt too, and nylon exercise pants with a soft lining over shorts. The thinsulate fingerless gloves + mittens worked great, as usual.
Old 01-14-18, 02:28 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Friday I did some work from home for the first hour or two. When I left for the office at 11am, it was drizzly and 10F/40C, and I overconfidently wore a rain coat and Tilley (summery) hat and no gloves. Before I got to the bus stop, I remembered that is was supposed to rapidly get cold by evening, but I didn't have time to run back for warmer stuff.

One of the advantages of being a bike and bus commuter, is you learn to compensate for this sort of day-to-day inattention by having some backup resources at work.

So when I was ready to start for home and the temperature had dropped to -12C/10F, I found a spare toque and a flannel shirt for an extra layer stashed in my office. I had no mitts, but I had a gym bag so I used the gym socks as makeshift gloves to wear at the bustop.

I was still cold but not as bad as I might have been!

Now I have to remember to take some of that stuff back to the office.
Old 01-14-18, 07:09 PM
PdalPowr

Bikes: Norco hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker
Friday I did some work from home for the first hour or two. When I left for the office at 11am, it was drizzly and 10F/40C, and I overconfidently wore a rain coat and Tilley (summery) hat and no gloves. Before I got to the bus stop, I remembered that is was supposed to rapidly get cold by evening, but I didn't have time to run back for warmer stuff.

One of the advantages of being a bike and bus commuter, is you learn to compensate for this sort of day-to-day inattention by having some backup resources at work.

So when I was ready to start for home and the temperature had dropped to -12C/10F, I found a spare toque and a flannel shirt for an extra layer stashed in my office. I had no mitts, but I had a gym bag so I used the gym socks as makeshift gloves to wear at the bustop.

I was still cold but not as bad as I might have been!

Now I have to remember to take some of that stuff back to the office.
Good on you for having backup.
I would guess a tilley is warm enough except for the ears.
I have the Canadian mailman's version of the tilley.
Of course nothing much beats a toque.
Old 01-15-18, 09:10 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Originally Posted by PdalPowr
Of course nothing much beats a toque.
I'm so proud of myself for knowing what a toque is, thanks to a Canadian supervisor at work who kept talking about how much he liked his toque and refused to tell us Americans what it was.
Old 01-15-18, 09:21 PM
PdalPowr

Bikes: Norco hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
I'm so proud of myself for knowing what a toque is, thanks to a Canadian supervisor at work who kept talking about how much he liked his toque and refused to tell us Americans what it was.
That is o.k. there are lots of anal retentive people like that in the world.
I hear they get that way from wearing toques that are too tight.
Old 01-15-18, 09:59 PM
Obeast
100% Certified Beast

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
cycling has limits as some weather in the winter (icy hilly roads and strong winds) just make riding intolerable. I donīt think living car free is 100% practical.
Old 01-16-18, 12:02 AM
wipekitty
vespertine member

We finally got a proper snowfall - something like 5-6 inches - making for some good outdoor winter experiences today! First, some shoveling. Then, a walk to a coffee shop (1.5 miles RT) to get some work done (I'm working mostly remotely for the rest of the week.)

Finally, a ride to actual work to pick up some stuff to work on tomorrow. I took the long way on the MUPs (8.8 miles RT) to minimize time on the roads, as folks are still remembering how to drive in the snow. Surprisingly, the MUPs are in better shape than the streets! With the weather we've had so far this winter, temps today, in the 5-10F range, felt pretty comfortable

Old 01-16-18, 12:01 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

You hardcore winter riders put me to shame. I remember one time being at an unsheltered bus stop in a rail underpass that functioned as a wind tunnel, on a bitter cold day, and thinking "Why I am always waiting for the bus in such awful weather? Why is it never sunny and nice?" And then I remembered - "Oh yeah, it's because if the weather was a bit better I'd be cycling!"
Old 01-16-18, 04:44 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Just seen a guy riding a unicycle coming from a Tim Horton's drinking a coffee while riding... -5*C Ice and snow everywhere...
Old 01-17-18, 08:56 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 771 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
It is if the temperature is tolerable.

Sad thread here...no pics of fat bikes.
Old 01-17-18, 02:53 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Originally Posted by prj71
It is if the temperature is tolerable.

Sad thread here...no pics of fat bikes.
Let's see yours then. Do you commute on it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.