Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

95% Of Our Lives Spent Indoors

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

95% Of Our Lives Spent Indoors

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-18, 11:57 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,832 Posts
If a certain poster is so dead set against vehicles, let him stop buying or using anything delivered by a motor vehicle.

Otherwise ... isn't he promoting the use of motor vehicles?
Old 04-27-18, 02:24 PM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Mobile 155
Is that anything like promoting "cars" to deliver food to you on a hiking trail? Or is that the second part of the introduction to this forum, car light? Just to check a bias?
I see your point, but shared autonomous vehicles 1) would make it possible for more people to LCF and thus mean less cars on the road in total, and 2) I've been reading about how Ford is reducing its non-truck sales, so it wouldn't surprise me if people show up here promoting trucks in the forum, i.e. because they are hiring people to market trucks.
Old 04-27-18, 02:48 PM
tandempower

Originally Posted by prj71
It's 26 degrees out there this morning. Brrrrr!!. Truck was nice and cozy on the way to work.

What part of no traffic on my way to work did you miss? Didn't see one car on the way in during my 6 mile drive..

Well yeah. It gets me places in a timely manner not possible with a bike. For instance...I'm taking it to Colorado in August. 15 hour drive to get there. It's going to haul all my camping gear so I can camp a few days on the river and then it's going to bring me to all of the places I fish. Not feasible with a bike fercripesakes!!!

I'll look around at the campsite for solar powered wash machines and hope that someone will make the 2 hour 30 mile trek (yes that right...2 hours to go 30 miles on a mountainous road) and bring me some food damn it! I'll let you know what I find out.
Sounds like you're signing up to be the delivery truck driver when everyone else is LCFing.
Old 04-27-18, 03:46 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Originally Posted by tandempower
Sounds like you're signing up to be the delivery truck driver when everyone else is LCFing.
Sounds like he is an essential part of the team, doing what Someone has to do so Everyone can do the stuff they Want to do.

And since they are car-pooling ... aren't they ALL car-lite?

Delivery drivers ... Delivered just about everything you have ever bought. Did you think that washing machine Walked from the factory to the store, and then to your dwelling or the laundromat? The soap? Your food? Your solar array?

Sounds to me like the guy and his friends are using the least possible vehicle/miles or vehicle/hours they can to do what they want to do. Sorry for the people who have problems with that.
Old 04-27-18, 05:39 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
I see your point, but shared autonomous vehicles 1) would make it possible for more people to LCF and thus mean less cars on the road in total, and 2) I've been reading about how Ford is reducing its non-truck sales, so it wouldn't surprise me if people show up here promoting trucks in the forum, i.e. because they are hiring people to market trucks.
More people will live car free, "LCF" by ordering things delivered to them by a car? Is that what you are saying? If 200 million people drive today having 200 million cars delivering, moving, picking up and delivering will make them car free?
Old 04-28-18, 05:16 AM
Maelochs

I got sucked into responding to TP ... you'd think i would have learned ... (headsmack, facepalm)
Old 04-28-18, 07:25 AM
tandempower

Originally Posted by Maelochs
Sounds like he is an essential part of the team, doing what Someone has to do so Everyone can do the stuff they Want to do.

And since they are car-pooling ... aren't they ALL car-lite?

Delivery drivers ... Delivered just about everything you have ever bought. Did you think that washing machine Walked from the factory to the store, and then to your dwelling or the laundromat? The soap? Your food? Your solar array?[
What's with all the pride-defense? Yes, driving is a machine-operator job that can be more or less productive/efficient depending on how you organize the logistics. The problem we have in the automotive-waste culture is that instead of minimizing the number of motor-vehicles and miles driven, we try to maximize the amount of money transacted, no matter how much land and other resources are wasted. We end up with sprawl and LCF becomes difficult and time consuming because we have built things so far apart and settled into an economic culture where it's common to drive around between all these distant destinations all the time.

Sounds to me like the guy and his friends are using the least possible vehicle/miles or vehicle/hours they can to do what they want to do. Sorry for the people who have problems with that.
You never know based on what people say. People like to present themselves as being ideal. When you question them, they get defensive. They are defending their pride. They don't want to think they're less than perfect and consider how they could do better. Some of us like thinking about how things, including ourselves, can improve but others are just in a competition for pride. I get really tired of listening to people defend their own and others' pride, their pride of automotive culture, etc. I am just looking for ways to reduce per capita footprint so there's less pavement, less machines, less noise, more natural land/water/air, less difficulty in functioning economically as an LCFer, etc.
Old 04-28-18, 07:37 AM
tandempower

More people will live car free, "LCF" by ordering things delivered to them by a car? Is that what you are saying? If 200 million people drive today having 200 million cars delivering, moving, picking up and delivering will make them car free?
We often debate the usefulness of definitions. What often makes it difficult to discuss things with you is that you will play with definitions in a way that obfuscates the real issue. E.g. if logistical efficiency makes it possible for, say, 20 people to LCF per motor-vehicle, that would mean 1/20th the number of motor-vehicle; but you would still question whether they are living 'car free' because each of them is sharing that one car. You are implying that 20 people sharing one car is the same as each person driving their own car, because neither is 'car free,' but that ignores the difference between a 20/1 ratio of people to cars vs. a 1/1 ratio. 20/1 people to cars is more car-free than 1/1 people to cars.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but what I think your hostility toward my views boils down to is that you like bull economic activity, so it makes you wince to think about the ratio of cars per capita declining. So you will always argue against me as long as I support the idea that reducing the number of cars per capita is good. You will do this by accusing me of everything from defying definitions to stupidity to laziness, etc. etc. Why can't you simply acknowledge that I see a possibility of making industrial productivity more efficient so that the footprint of industrialism can be reduce and environmental restoration improved? Less noisy machines and sprawl make LCF much more pleasant, and it is good for overall environmental sustainability. Less pushy bull economic activity takes pressure off people and gives us more free time to bike and walk/hike longer distances. You always have to argue against my view, but why can't you just accept this is how I see things, just as I accept that you have your views and they're not going to change no matter what I say to you or how wrong you may or may not be?
Old 04-28-18, 03:40 PM
Mobile 155

I got sucked into responding to TP ... you'd think i would have learned ... (headsmack, facepalm)
Yes, but sometimes it is just low hanging fruit and it is hard to resist.
Old 04-28-18, 04:13 PM
Mobile 155

We often debate the usefulness of definitions. What often makes it difficult to discuss things with you is that you will play with definitions in a way that obfuscates the real issue. E.g. if logistical efficiency makes it possible for, say, 20 people to LCF per motor-vehicle, that would mean 1/20th the number of motor-vehicle; but you would still question whether they are living 'car free' because each of them is sharing that one car. You are implying that 20 people sharing one car is the same as each person driving their own car, because neither is 'car free,' but that ignores the difference between a 20/1 ratio of people to cars vs. a 1/1 ratio. 20/1 people to cars is more car-free than 1/1 people to cars.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but what I think your hostility toward my views boils down to is that you like bull economic activity, so it makes you wince to think about the ratio of cars per capita declining. So you will always argue against me as long as I support the idea that reducing the number of cars per capita is good. You will do this by accusing me of everything from defying definitions to stupidity to laziness, etc. etc. Why can't you simply acknowledge that I see a possibility of making industrial productivity more efficient so that the footprint of industrialism can be reduce and environmental restoration improved? Less noisy machines and sprawl make LCF much more pleasant, and it is good for overall environmental sustainability. Less pushy bull economic activity takes pressure off people and gives us more free time to bike and walk/hike longer distances. You always have to argue against my view, but why can't you just accept this is how I see things, just as I accept that you have your views and they're not going to change no matter what I say to you or how wrong you may or may not be?
I do accept it as how you see things. But I also believe you are overstating your opposition to cars in place of your desire to get the benefits of cars for little or no expense. Once that is possible I think you disdain will fall off. Like you wanting people to give you a ride in their car to extend your range when you cycle. The idea that calling up a car to deliver supplies to you while hiking a nature trail is simply one example. You contend that calling up a vehicle will reduce the use of said vehicles. That simply isn't how things have worked for humans for many years.I could use the number of TVs in the average home but to give a closer example lets look at the family cell phone use as an indicator of how autonomous cars would more than likely be used.

When some of us grew up there was one phone in the home. Lets look at a family of four the number close to the average family in the US. If Jack and Jill and their two kids wanted to make or take a phone call they had to use the same phone in the house to do so. Even if you got a second phone or a third it was the same line and one call at a time. You could circumvent that by getting two lines but the phone bill was higher. That same family had one and maybe two cars if they were in my area of the country. If Mary or Billy, Jack and Jill's kids, had to go to dance class and base ball practice one parent might take both kids, drop them off and pick them up at different times. Worked that way for most of the country and almost always when there was just one car. Now lets advance to today with the Phone, TV or computer. Jack and Jill might use the same computer but if Mary and Billy had separate rooms they more than likely have their own computer and a cell phone, and maybe a TV. That is right rather than one line and one phone you have 4 phones, three computers and 3 or 4 TVs.

Now think some more, you who claim to be car free consider calling up a car to deliver food or supplies to you while out hiking a good reason to call up a car to do so. That is one more car than gets called up today. Make that 50,000 hikers and that could easily be 50,000 cars showing up at trail heads just because they can. Move that out to the family dynamics that produced 4 cell phones for 2 adults and 2 children. Jack wants to go bowling and Jill wants to play cards with her friends. Mary wants to go to the dance class and Billy has baseball practice. when you have 4 cell phones how big of a stretch is it to call up 4 autonomous cars? Rather than one car moving three people and maybe two moving 4 people you quickly have 4 cars taking 4 people in 4 different directions at 4 different times of day. Just like what happened with cell phones and even computers.

If you believe people would rather wait and share a common vehicle when they can easily get one on call you have a strange idea of how people think. Because I would be willing to bet money people will use any service that makes their life easier and gives them the freedom to do what they want and someone would be happy to provide that service much like Amazon does for shopping. In conclusion I do not believe autonomous cars will increase bus riders, cyclists or even walkers because it will be as easy as getting on an escalator. If people wanted to walk or ride a bike today there is nothing stopping them. If someone makes getting from point A to point B even easier I don't believe for a second people will ride more or walk more. They will just push a button on a app and head to town or anywhere else their little hearts desire. 200 million cars could easily become 400 million cars and we wouldn't even notice.

How is that for speculation?
Old 04-28-18, 04:16 PM
Maelochs

That post is just full of good sense. Bravo.
Old 04-28-18, 09:24 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,043 Posts
Yes, but sometimes it is just low hanging fruit and it is hard to resist.
Sure just like rubbernecking at a wreck is hard to resist.
Old 04-28-18, 10:00 PM
Mobile 155

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Sure just like rubbernecking at a wreck is hard to resist.
ok, you got me.
Old 04-29-18, 10:48 AM
tandempower

I do accept it as how you see things. But I also believe you are overstating your opposition to cars in place of your desire to get the benefits of cars for little or no expense. Once that is possible I think you disdain will fall off. Like you wanting people to give you a ride in their car to extend your range when you cycle. The idea that calling up a car to deliver supplies to you while hiking a nature trail is simply one example. You contend that calling up a vehicle will reduce the use of said vehicles. That simply isn't how things have worked for humans for many years.I could use the number of TVs in the average home but to give a closer example lets look at the family cell phone use as an indicator of how autonomous cars would more than likely be used.
In general, I think you are right about 'how things have worked for humans for many years.' The biggest challenge is getting people to use power responsibly, whether it's the power to have more than one TV or to have self-driving vehicles serve them. The problem with assuming the availability of self-driving cars will go awry, however, is that the status quo of human-driven cars has already gone awry, to the point where most people feel even more powerless than I do to get around without cars as the primary method of transportation, let alone as a backup plan.

As for what you're saying about me just wanting to save money on a car without losing the benefits, that's part of the bigger problem of how to achieve more free time and environmental preservation, while still taking advantage of technological possibility in a way that makes the world better instead of worse. Think of it this way, I could argue that cars should cost $1000 because their production is mostly automated and it doesn't take that much energy to melt a ton of steel in an arc foundry. That would solve the problem of spending so many hours and giving up so much potential savings to pay for driving, but it still wouldn't solve the problem of all that pavement for everyone to drive and park everywhere. So even if driving is cheap, I would still be looking for ways to reduce the number of cars on the roads and in parking areas, just because that land should be covered with more trees and living ecology and less pavement and motor-vehicles.

When some of us grew up there was one phone in the home. Lets look at a family of four the number close to the average family in the US. If Jack and Jill and their two kids wanted to make or take a phone call they had to use the same phone in the house to do so. Even if you got a second phone or a third it was the same line and one call at a time. You could circumvent that by getting two lines but the phone bill was higher. That same family had one and maybe two cars if they were in my area of the country. If Mary or Billy, Jack and Jill's kids, had to go to dance class and base ball practice one parent might take both kids, drop them off and pick them up at different times. Worked that way for most of the country and almost always when there was just one car. Now lets advance to today with the Phone, TV or computer. Jack and Jill might use the same computer but if Mary and Billy had separate rooms they more than likely have their own computer and a cell phone, and maybe a TV. That is right rather than one line and one phone you have 4 phones, three computers and 3 or 4 TVs.
Another way to look at it is to think how much time people used to spend waiting for a phone call, not leaving the house because they were afraid they'd miss a call. Then, cell phones made it possible to go out and take calls wherever but people started to prefer texting, because they don't have to take calls all the time. So the mobile telephony technology liberated people to go out more, and as a result more people spend more time walking/biking now than before, and I think self-driving cars could have a similar effect, if people can overcome certain other mental/cultural obstructions that prevent them from realizing the fundamental benefits of walking/biking instead of driving around between venues.

Now think some more, you who claim to be car free consider calling up a car to deliver food or supplies to you while out hiking a good reason to call up a car to do so. That is one more car than gets called up today. Make that 50,000 hikers and that could easily be 50,000 cars showing up at trail heads just because they can. Move that out to the family dynamics that produced 4 cell phones for 2 adults and 2 children. Jack wants to go bowling and Jill wants to play cards with her friends. Mary wants to go to the dance class and Billy has baseball practice. when you have 4 cell phones how big of a stretch is it to call up 4 autonomous cars? Rather than one car moving three people and maybe two moving 4 people you quickly have 4 cars taking 4 people in 4 different directions at 4 different times of day. Just like what happened with cell phones and even computers.
Since you seem so adept at analyzing human-technological behavior, maybe you can explain when it occurs that technologies become harnessed by the creative spirit that organizes and consolidates processes into more efficient forms. If I called on a car to bring food out to a hiking trail instead of hiking to the store to pick up the supplies myself, I would only do so because of the expense of camping near the store if the hike was too far to make it back to the trail before sundown. Why do I want to avoid paid camping? Because it puts me in a situation where I have to work more than necessary to get back that money spent on camping. I might as well just stay home and get more free time to walk around locally for exercise without having to go spend more time working. When I walk/hike/bike around locally, however, I dream of taking it to the next level and traveling longer distance. I am a rational person, however, so I am not going to waste money I wouldn't otherwise spend indulging in adventures. I have family and a strong interest in free time and protecting the environment from destructive economic investments that cause land-clearing, so I am trying to minimize my footprint in various ways. I wouldn't actually be harming the environment by taking longer distance hikes/bike-tours and camping, but I would if I was blowing money and working more to make it back, because every job you do always makes more money for others who are above you, such as managers, investors, etc. So the more you work, the more you are contributing to the aggressive bull economic activity that keeps clearing land of trees and animals to pave it and cover it with buildings.

Maybe one day, LCF will be growing as driving/parking are shrinking and it will become possible to imagine economic growth without a corresponding gradual usurpation of ecological land, but that day isn't here yet. When it comes, if it ever does, I will want to work more to the extent my work can support the reforestation of deforested areas, but I will be skeptical and weary of the possibility that some economic planners have only created such projects as a way of invigorating the economy so they can move more money around to the accounts where they want it for selfish reasons, and that's not the interest I want to serve, so I am always trying to vote for more free time and thus liberty to manage one's own time, rather than support the economy where people submit to management in exchange for money.

If you believe people would rather wait and share a common vehicle when they can easily get one on call you have a strange idea of how people think. Because I would be willing to bet money people will use any service that makes their life easier and gives them the freedom to do what they want and someone would be happy to provide that service much like Amazon does for shopping. In conclusion I do not believe autonomous cars will increase bus riders, cyclists or even walkers because it will be as easy as getting on an escalator. If people wanted to walk or ride a bike today there is nothing stopping them. If someone makes getting from point A to point B even easier I don't believe for a second people will ride more or walk more. They will just push a button on a app and head to town or anywhere else their little hearts desire. 200 million cars could easily become 400 million cars and we wouldn't even notice.

It's well thought out and well-explained, but it assumes bull economic growth. When growth is in recession, people use their intelligence to consolidate activities and save money, i.e. because they don't see the economy providing them with a secure source of income. Taking buses and other shared vehicles may be less comfortable and convenient than having one or more cars at your beckon call, but it is more efficient in many ways, so there is an incentive to sacrifice a little and take buses if the alternative is running out money faster than you would otherwise.
Old 05-04-18, 09:31 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
it's nice in here, you know...forget cars
Old 05-05-18, 09:05 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts

All good, except that more likely the 200 million car fleet becomes 100 million or 50 million or even fewer, because the cars are being utilized instead of spending time in a parking spot. This whole question is more about economics than human nature though.

Would it result in more walking and bike riding? Not for me, but I can imagine, I'm going a mile to the convenience store and have a choice of walking, riding or pinging a car. If the car is right there, awaiting my thumbprint unlock on my phone, yeah I probably take the car. If I have to wait say, 10 or 15 minutes, maybe I'd just keep walking or take the bike to begin with. So it's still just economics, if you include time in the transaction.

If it really worked efficiently, there'd be a small area like a taxi stop that always had a car or two, or a couple of minutes away assuming these have autonomous capability. It's a pretty attractive idea.
Old 05-05-18, 09:33 AM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by wphamilton
Would it result in more walking and bike riding? Not for me, but I can imagine, I'm going a mile to the convenience store and have a choice of walking, riding or pinging a car. If the car is right there, awaiting my thumbprint unlock on my phone, yeah I probably take the car. If I have to wait say, 10 or 15 minutes, maybe I'd just keep walking or take the bike to begin with. So it's still just economics, if you include time in the transaction.

If it really worked efficiently, there'd be a small area like a taxi stop that always had a car or two, or a couple of minutes away assuming these have autonomous capability. It's a pretty attractive idea.
Wrong, i believe (and in this forum, belief Definitely trumps factual information.)

People would simply call a car 15 minutes earlier.

People who want to walk already do, by and large. people who want to bike, do. Just like you could build a trillion beach volleyball centers, curling sheets, MMA cages .... only so many people are interested in any activity. A lot might try it for a while ... but just like gym memberships, one in ten come back more than four times (made-up numbers.)

of course,w e are always thinking about "just walk to the store, it's only 15 minutes" when the weather is good, the neighborhood is good, and the person doesn't plan on getting more than a couple items.

And even so ... a forty-minute round trip versus fifteen, and they can text on the ride? people will call the car.

Also, four mph is a brisk walk .... people have to Want to walk more than 2.5 or 3 mph .... how many people Want to walk briskly? The ones who already do.

Ask an overweight middle-aged Floridian who hasn't walked Anywhere briskly in 25 years to walk at 4 mph two miles in 92-degree heat ... and when that person arrives home sweating hard and puffing with the plastic bag cutting his or her fingers .... that is one person converted to calling a car. Same thing in New Hampshire eight months of the year. Too hot, too cold, too far ... and if a person takes 40 minutes each way suddenly a "quick trip to the convenience store" takes an hour and a half, and half that person's evening and all of his.//her energy is used up.

People who like human-powered transport are just different. And people who don't, aren't about to change. I guarantee you for most people the "inconvenience" of calling 15 minutes before s/he wants to leave is far smaller than the inconvenience of actually walking anywhere further than to the driveway.

it is just like what a lot of people here deny, except for people who actually know poor people of have visited poor nations ... most of the people who don't have the option of convenience, (cars, stores, in some cases food and water and shelter) Want those things. The world isn't full of noble paupers reveling in the fact that they have to carry water to their homes from the well ... it is full of people who see how Americans live and want to live this way.

And America isn't full of people who wish they could walk to the store, but they cannot because they own a car. it is full of people who own cars because they Do Not Want to Walk.

Obviously people who can afford cars can afford bikes with trailers ... but they have cars.
Old 05-05-18, 10:07 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Wrong, i believe (and in this forum, belief Definitely trumps factual information.)

People would simply call a car 15 minutes earlier.

People who want to walk already do, by and large. people who want to bike, do. Just like you could build a trillion beach volleyball centers, curling sheets, MMA cages .... only so many people are interested in any activity. A lot might try it for a while ... but just like gym memberships, one in ten come back more than four times (made-up numbers.)

of course,w e are always thinking about "just walk to the store, it's only 15 minutes" when the weather is good, the neighborhood is good, and the person doesn't plan on getting more than a couple items.
Yeah, that's what I was getting at with convenience store and about a mile. I don't know why you say "wrong", since I thought that I was implying that it wouldn't really reduce vehicle miles, which I think you're agreeing with. Maybe I didn't go into that very far.

I have a car, a pretty nice one by my standards, (so maybe I'm posting in the wrong forum), so I'm just going by my own behavior here. I never take it to work*, I'll use it to buy groceries, longer errands on the weekends, not often for the close errands, and so on. I am supposing that I don't have it, can ping one up instead, what is my decision process?

Costs a buck and I have to wait 15 minutes, vs walk 15 minutes, I see that as an economic question where time and effort have a value and I'll probably walk by. My depressingly predictable location history shows that many of my trips are like this, short, to the same places, and I drive if I happen to be impatient but otherwise bike. Or walk.

Waiting 15 minutes for a car to show up, I hate that. It's one of the reasons I never take the bus, anywhere. If it's just there, waiting for me, I could activate it and go even if I originally intended to walk. 30 minutes, that's not going to work for an impulse trip. If that's at both ends, forget about it. So I think there is a huge "it depends" there.

*seems to be the big flaw in the scheme, driving to work. All of us driving at the same time, wouldn't really allow us to reduce the fleet size since it's closer to 1 vehicle per commute. Unless it used some kind of Uber scheme for carpooling but that has all the drawbacks of having to wait, schedule, put up with other people etc.

Last edited by wphamilton; 05-05-18 at 10:14 AM.
Old 05-05-18, 10:40 AM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by wphamilton
Yeah, that's what I was getting at with convenience store and about a mile. I don't know why you say "wrong", since I thought that I was implying that it wouldn't really reduce vehicle miles, which I think you're agreeing with. Maybe I didn't go into that very far. .
"What we had here ... was Failure to Communicate."

I didn't get that from your post ... sorry. Sometimes even though I am perfect (aren't we all, here?) I sometimes get it wrong.
Old 05-05-18, 01:54 PM
Mobile 155

"What we had here ... was Failure to Communicate."

I didn't get that from your post ... sorry. Sometimes even though I am perfect (aren't we all, here?) I sometimes get it wrong.
yes we are all perfect. But i believe he missed my reasoning for saying there would be more cars if, not that they are on the horizon, atonimous cars were simply call up. No one would need a license or insurance to ride in one so everyone in the family would be free to use one for what ever reason they wanted.

It would not be a one on one change between what we now have because kids cannot just call up a car to go to school, the movies or tge mall. People cannot call up a car to deliver supplies to the trail head. Today only licensed drivers can drive.

And if you can just call up a car why wait for a bus that will not pick you up at home or drop you off at the store.

As it has been stated many times, there is nothing stopping people from walking to the store or riding a bike to work here today. The people that do are already riding or walking. Make riding in a car easier for “everyone” and it will not reduce the number of cars any more than giving kids their own cell phones reduced phones.
Old 05-05-18, 07:33 PM
tandempower

yes we are all perfect. But i believe he missed my reasoning for saying there would be more cars if, not that they are on the horizon, atonimous cars were simply call up. No one would need a license or insurance to ride in one so everyone in the family would be free to use one for what ever reason they wanted.

It would not be a one on one change between what we now have because kids cannot just call up a car to go to school, the movies or tge mall. People cannot call up a car to deliver supplies to the trail head. Today only licensed drivers can drive.

And if you can just call up a car why wait for a bus that will not pick you up at home or drop you off at the store.

As it has been stated many times, there is nothing stopping people from walking to the store or riding a bike to work here today. The people that do are already riding or walking. Make riding in a car easier for “everyone” and it will not reduce the number of cars any more than giving kids their own cell phones reduced phones.
Why don't people wait for an empty elevator? Answer: because it is normal to board an elevator with whomever else is waiting for it as well. With cars that don't drive themselves, people have to be responsible for their property, so there is a rationality to not sharing rides. However, when a car is a shared car, there is a rationality to giving as many rides with the same vehicle as possible. Sure, people can pay more to ride alone and/or to get a direct ride to their destination where they don't have to walk at all; but they can also pay a lower fare to share a ride with other passengers and/or get dropped off a few blocks from their destination.

With human-driven cars there is simply no option besides taking your car with you wherever you go unless you are going to leave it at home completely. A driver cannot get out and hand his car over to another driver who takes it over without entrusting that driver to take care of the owner's property. You don't want to lend out your car or give people rides unless you really care about them or unless it is worth the money they are willing to pay, and how many people really want to deal with giving rides for extra money if they have a good-paying job? Autonomous vehicles will simply free people to share rides in so many ways that either isn't possible or convenient with human owner-operators.
Old 05-05-18, 07:43 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Why don't people wait for an empty elevator? Answer: because it is normal to board an elevator with whomever else is waiting for it as well. With cars that don't drive themselves, people have to be responsible for their property, so there is a rationality to not sharing rides. However, when a car is a shared car, there is a rationality to giving as many rides with the same vehicle as possible. Sure, people can pay more to ride alone and/or to get a direct ride to their destination where they don't have to walk at all; but they can also pay a lower fare to share a ride with other passengers and/or get dropped off a few blocks from their destination.

With human-driven cars there is simply no option besides taking your car with you wherever you go unless you are going to leave it at home completely. A driver cannot get out and hand his car over to another driver who takes it over without entrusting that driver to take care of the owner's property. You don't want to lend out your car or give people rides unless you really care about them or unless it is worth the money they are willing to pay, and how many people really want to deal with giving rides for extra money if they have a good-paying job? Autonomous vehicles will simply free people to share rides in so many ways that either isn't possible or convenient with human owner-operators.
WOW, this actually makes perfect sense... and... this is perfectly workable too...
Old 05-05-18, 07:55 PM
Mobile 155

we have no reason to sharr a ride if a ride is on call. You want to go to school and be there at 7 am you don’t have to wait till someone else wants to go. It is not an elevator that onlt goes in a straight line it goes to your house and them to any direction 360 degrees from the house.

They don’t have atinimous cars so you don’t know what the cost is but you do know you don’t need a license or insurance to ride in one. If one ride is anywhere close to what a bus costs why share?

Think it through. Four people in the home with access to on call cars from age 8 to 80 all charged to one account could go north, south, east, ir west all at the same time and return whenever they want. I atinimous cars are made by different services they would all make more cars to try to get your business just like Apple, google and microsoft makes phones.

No one will be building buses.

By the way, remember how you calculated how much people spend each year on cars? Take that amount of money and apply it to the family budget for on call cars. sounds like they might pay for themselves in both time and money. People might even be able to afford to pay for a camp site.

Last edited by Mobile 155; 05-05-18 at 09:33 PM.
Old 05-06-18, 07:58 AM
tandempower

we have no reason to sharr a ride if a ride is on call. You want to go to school and be there at 7 am you don’t have to wait till someone else wants to go. It is not an elevator that onlt goes in a straight line it goes to your house and them to any direction 360 degrees from the house.

As I said, there can be many options at a variety of prices. Sure, you could take a private ride direct to the front door of your destination, but that is going to cost more than sharing a ride, waiting a few extra minutes, and/or walking a ways between the drop-off point and where you have to go. People will plan extra time into their journey to get a better bargain, and it will be hard for many people to justify paying a premium to sit alone in a vehicle.

They don’t have atinimous cars so you don’t know what the cost is but you do know you don’t need a license or insurance to ride in one. If one ride is anywhere close to what a bus costs why share?
I wish licensing and insurance requirements were more restrictive for driving, but they mostly aren't because of the expectation that nearly everyone should be entitled to drive unless they have done something terrible like driven drunk or caused some horrible calamity. Autonomous vehicle rides will make it a lot easier for a lot of people to acknowledge they really aren't that good of drivers and just ride instead of asserting false confidence because the only alternative they have is to depend on transit or expensive taxi services.

Think it through. Four people in the home with access to on call cars from age 8 to 80 all charged to one account could go north, south, east, ir west all at the same time and return whenever they want. I atinimous cars are made by different services they would all make more cars to try to get your business just like Apple, google and microsoft makes phones.

No one will be building buses.
I expect more mid-sized passenger vehicles built on pickup truck chases, such as shuttle vans, etc. that carry more than four or five passengers. I also expect ride hailing apps to get more advanced with routing so that you can enter your destination and quickly get a range of ride-options with different pricing depending on expected time-to-destination, how far from your destination you are willing to get dropped off, etc.
I think people will really enjoy being able to shop between different ride parameters if the prices are all within an acceptable range because many people are sharing multi-passenger rides.

Buses will be liberated to providing longer-distance rides, such as intercity transit, without many stops. There is currently not enough selection of different carriers at affordable prices to promote non-stop scheduling. E.g. I took a bus recently that stopped for quite a long time, presumably because the driver and passengers needed a break after starting their journey long before picking up at my stop. Buses need to make longer trips without bus-changes if people are carrying luggage, but if all people have is their carry-on luggage, they could change buses several times without waiting very long between legs of their trip. Basically it would be like riding a city bus except you'd only stop once every ten or twenty miles, so you could travel 60 miles only changing buses twice. Such a trip would go much faster if there was no traffic congestion because everyone was either sharing rides or taking other buses.

By the way, remember how you calculated how much people spend each year on cars? Take that amount of money and apply it to the family budget for on call cars. sounds like they might pay for themselves in both time and money. People might even be able to afford to pay for a camp site.
Idk how many times I have to explain to you that I don't like my freedom being taken away and sold back to me. You love the idea of making money to pay for camping, but I would prefer to have freedom to camp freely and only work for money to spend on other things besides freedom. Let freedom be free and let people work for the things that require labor to produce.

Last edited by tandempower; 05-06-18 at 08:13 AM.
Old 05-06-18, 01:34 PM
Mobile 155

As I said, there can be many options at a variety of prices. Sure, you could take a private ride direct to the front door of your destination, but that is going to cost more than sharing a ride, waiting a few extra minutes, and/or walking a ways between the drop-off point and where you have to go. People will plan extra time into their journey to get a better bargain, and it will be hard for many people to justify paying a premium to sit alone in a vehicle.

I wish licensing and insurance requirements were more restrictive for driving, but they mostly aren't because of the expectation that nearly everyone should be entitled to drive unless they have done something terrible like driven drunk or caused some horrible calamity. Autonomous vehicle rides will make it a lot easier for a lot of people to acknowledge they really aren't that good of drivers and just ride instead of asserting false confidence because the only alternative they have is to depend on transit or expensive taxi services.

I expect more mid-sized passenger vehicles built on pickup truck chases, such as shuttle vans, etc. that carry more than four or five passengers. I also expect ride hailing apps to get more advanced with routing so that you can enter your destination and quickly get a range of ride-options with different pricing depending on expected time-to-destination, how far from your destination you are willing to get dropped off, etc.
I think people will really enjoy being able to shop between different ride parameters if the prices are all within an acceptable range because many people are sharing multi-passenger rides.

Buses will be liberated to providing longer-distance rides, such as intercity transit, without many stops. There is currently not enough selection of different carriers at affordable prices to promote non-stop scheduling. E.g. I took a bus recently that stopped for quite a long time, presumably because the driver and passengers needed a break after starting their journey long before picking up at my stop. Buses need to make longer trips without bus-changes if people are carrying luggage, but if all people have is their carry-on luggage, they could change buses several times without waiting very long between legs of their trip. Basically it would be like riding a city bus except you'd only stop once every ten or twenty miles, so you could travel 60 miles only changing buses twice. Such a trip would go much faster if there was no traffic congestion because everyone was either sharing rides or taking other buses.

Idk how many times I have to explain to you that I don't like my freedom being taken away and sold back to me. You love the idea of making money to pay for camping, but I would prefer to have freedom to camp freely and only work for money to spend on other things besides freedom. Let freedom be free and let people work for the things that require labor to produce.
what keeps long range buses from being the front runner in long range trips today? What keeps people from flocking to the bus depot to book a ride with other people today? What would cause that to change? Why have a fleet of vans to haul people on call from door to door if the cost is the same for one passenger? Face it if a bus ticket is two bucks it is two bucks with one passenger and the same for each of twenty passengers. Mass transit doesn’t lower the prices just because more people ride at noon than they do at 1:30pm.

People do not like to share a taxi either.

To miss quote a Supreme Court Justice, your freedom ends at the tip of my nose. What you can have for free ends at the point where someone has rights to what you want for free. If you choise to limit your earning power, which you have freely admitted to doing in your labor choices, your freedom to complain on what you have to spend to do what you want has less weight. It might be different if the circumstances were forced on you. Society can make arrangements for the disadvantaged poor. But if you choose to go against the norm of society you shouldn’t expect society to change to cater to your choices. In other words if you have the ability to earn enough to make camping affordable, or private transportation for that matter, it is not unreasonable for others that do work to pay for those things to not see a problem with the expense involved.

Last edited by Mobile 155; 05-06-18 at 01:37 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.